The sounds of the incoming ambulances were not enough to wake Buffy from her sleep.

“Dr. Summers? Dr. Summers, wake up!” The trauma nurse's voice, however, was enough it seemed.

Buffy opened her eyes and jumped up.

“I’m up. What’s the problem?” Buffy was trying to focus her eyes and sound awake at the same time.

“An ambulance has just come in. Traffic collision involving a bus and a truck. I don't know how many we're getting or how critical they are," the nurse rattled off, reading the information she had jotted down from the hurried paramedic report she had taken.

But Buffy was already out of the staff room and down the when the first stretcher came in. A cursory look showed a male with a neck brace, strapped to a backboard and covered with blood.

“Can I get a quick report?" Buffy asked while the paramedics transferred the patient onto a gurney in one of the trauma rooms. Immediately, she began checking him over.

“Truck ran a red light and ploughed head on into the bus. He was a passenger on the bus” The paramedic started telling Buffy the assessment of the situation. "Vital signs have remained stable en route."

Buffy moved her way up the body, assessing the damage.

"He was the most critical."

“Are we getting anymore?” Buffy asked as she moved up to the chest, taking the trauma shears out of her pocket and cutting up the middle, pulling the blood soaked shirt from the patient. “He’s going to need a chest and lower leg Xray.,” Buffy informed one of the nurses helping.

“Five more from the bus and the driver of the truck.”

Buffy had moved up to the face as she asked,. “The bus wasn't crowded?"

“It wasn't for public transport, it was a tour bus for some band my daughter is a fan of… what is there their name?”

The paramedic’s voice faded into the background as she opened the patients eye lids to check for pupil response and in that instant she knew. She knew who it was.

Oh god, it was Will...

Buffy stumbled back and looked at him lying lifeless on the gurney , covered in blood.

“Dingoes Ate my Baby! I knew it would come to me eventually. I should know, my daughter plays them constantly. She's she’s totally in love with the lead singer …”

“Spike Giles.” Buffy announced flatly, still staring at Will.

“That’s the one… you know him?” Buffy snapped out of her daze and looked into the medic's questioning face, realizing she was not acting professionally at all. She switched into Doctor mode.

“Not personally… no," she lied,. Turning to the trauma nurse who had woken her up, she gave verbal orders. "Can I get a head CT, CBC, chem 7 and a type and hold for two units of packed cells? I have a feeling we're going to have to transfuse him. “

Buffy turned back to to save the only man she had ever loved.

~

Spike was having a great time like he always did when he was on stage. He looked around every eye in the stadium was on him. He took a deep breath, scanned the crowd and started to sing. But before a single note passed his lips, he noticed somebody out of the corner of his eye. Somebody who wasn’t looking at him, her head was down she was… he squinted to see… she was reading Great Expectations. My favourite, he thought and went to speak, but for some reason the words weren’t coming. Weird. He looked again and this time she was talking and , he knew the voice. It was so familiar.

“Are we getting anymore? ” He tried to look closer to see where the sound was coming from.

Spike was confused. Anymore what?

“The bus wasn't crowded?" ” Although the voice was harsh and loud, something about it seemed to comfort him.

What bus? They were at a concert. This wasn’t making any sense to him. Why did his leg hurt and what was that woman talking about?

He looked again, the face before him so much like Buffy's. She was here at the concert… he smiled to himself Of course she would be reading at a rock concert. He went to call her again but again there were no words. What was happening to him? He looked up into the stage lights.

“Can I get an assisting in here please?”

And then everything went black.
~

“He’s crashing!” shouted the nurse, Buffy looked up from her inspection of the open fracture of his femur.

“He's in v-fib, we're going to have to shock him. Charge it to 200 joules.” Buffy placed the paddles where they needed to go.

“Clear!” she called, All business now.

Spike's body lifted from the bed, Buffy looked at the monitor, finding no change but relieved that it was still in a shockable rhythm.

“Come on, Will! Give me 300 joules. Clear!" Another 250 cc Clear!”

Spike's body again lifted but his rhythm failed to change.

“Damn-it Will! You were always so stubborn! For once in your life, work with me!" Buffy muttered under her breath "Give me 360 and a round of Epinephrene," she ordered. "Clear!”

This time the rhythm converted, the monitor beeping in a steady fashion.

“Thanks Will.” Buffy let go of the breath she didn’t know she was holding. “Lets get him stable and into Xray.”

~

“Come on Will!” The sound of the voice filled him with a sense of completeness.

Spike stared into the darkness.

“Damn-it Will you were always so stubborn!” The realisation of who the voice belonged to pulled him back into the light.

She was here.

“Buffy.” He tried to open his eyes but they were too heavy. Why were they so bloody heavy… he kept trying to open them.

“Dr Summers Xray is ready for Mr Giles.”

Buffy looked up at the nurse.

“Thank you.”

She looked down at Spike on the gurney trying hard to remain closed off though her heart ached seeing him in pain. But she stiffened remembering that it wasn’t Will lying here but Spike. She blinked back the tears as they wheeled him away

“Good Bye Will”