Chapter 7

“What the bloody hell?” Spike asked, looking at the little white sticks in his hand.
“Uh, I can explain…” Buffy stuttered, on the verge of hysteria.
“This is what you were doing in the bathroom?” Spike asked.
“Spike, please, just let me…”
“This is the reason you were sneaking around a little while ago? Oh, I get it now.” Spike continued to rant. “The reason why you’ve been so tired lately. Why you’ve been sick every bloody morning for the past two weeks. Maybe more, I don’t know. Why? Because you didn’t tell me!”
Spike threw the tests on the floor and walked over to be bed and sat down, hanging his head in his hands. Buffy stood by the bathroom door, crying silently. When neither of them broke the silence, Buffy quietly left the room. What she didn’t notice was Spike’s tear-stained face as he watched her leave.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Buffy shuffled down the hall, wiping her face with her hands. She stopped in front of Darla and Angel’s room, ready to knock, when someone came up behind her.
“Hey.”
Buffy turned around to face Anya.
“Hey yourself.”
“Were you crying?” Anya asked.
“Oh, a little. It’s just…the week catching up with me. Lack of sleep.” Buffy tried to explain, mentally berating herself for sounding so lame.
But if she did sound lame, Anya didn’t seem to pick up on it.
“Ok. If you need to talk…” Anya trailed off.
“I know.” Buffy answered, smiling, and for the first time realizing how worn down Anya looked. Not at all like her cheerful self. “Have you talked to him again?”
Anya shook her head.
“So, like my hair?” she asked, changing the subject.
Buffy smiled as Anya messed with her new curly hair.
“I decided not to get it colored. I got curls put in instead.”
“It looks good.” Buffy told her.
Anya nodded again.
“I’m gonna go to my room. Try to study or something.”
“Ok.” Buffy answered, and then caught Anya before she left. “The same thing goes for you too, you know. If you need me…”
Anya nodded and quickly hugged Buffy before slipping into her room.
Buffy sighed and turned, knocking on the door.
Angel opened the door.
“Buffy, what’s wrong?” he asked, noting the pained expression on her face.
“Can I come in? I need to talk to Darla. Well, both of you actually.”
Angel nodded, and Buffy slipped inside.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Angel walked down the hall to Buffy and Spike’s room. He knocked on the door and was rewarded with an angry “Sod off!”
Angel scrunched his face. Sod off? British slang. But sod is dirt. Wasn’t it?
Angel knocked again, and instead of waiting for an answer, walked inside.
“I thought I said to sod off!” Spike yelled.
“Yeah, you did. But I’m still trying to figure out how a sod can off.” Angel replied, grabbing the desk chair, and sitting down so the back was facing him. He rested his hands on the back of the chair and looked at Spike.
“What the bloody hell do you want?” Spike asked, annoyed that the poof had the nerve to waltz into his room while he was having a good sulk.
“I’m sure you would like someone to talk to.” Angel replied.
“Let me guess, she immediately went running to you.” Spike sneered.
“No, she came to talk to Darla. I just got caught in the crossfire.”
“So you still know then?” Spike asked, cockiness gone.
“Yes. I figured you would want to talk to someone.”
“And why would I want to talk to you?” Spike asked, his cockiness returning.
“Because I didn’t have that luxury.” Angel snapped.
Spike’s expression softened and he sighed.
“I just don’t understand.” Angel said. “I wouldn’t think you would ever hurt Buffy like that.”
“Why do you care so much about Buffy?” Spike asked.
“Because she’s the first real friend I’ve ever had. Besides Darla.” Angel explained. “She was nice, genuine. Not just some chick wanting to date me because I was the quarterback. She even admitted to me on our first date that she didn’t want to be more than friends.”
Spike nodded and Angel continued.
“And what I don’t understand is why you would hurt her like you did. She was hysterical in there.” Angel said.
“I didn’t mean to hurt her.” Spike said, and then looked up at Angel. “But she hurt me too, you know.”
“Hurt you how?” Angel asked.
Spike shook his head and stood up, pacing the length of the room.
“She should have told me! Me, not Darla! That’s what bloody hurt. The fact that she went to all that trouble, lying to me. I should have been the first to know. I should have been the one sitting next to her in the bathroom waiting for the tests. It should have been me.”
Spike sunk down on the bed, hanging his head. Angel was silent for a moment.
“I don’t think she meant to hurt you. I think she was afraid of your reaction.” Angel said, breaking the silence.
“I know.” Spike said, quietly. “But she still should have told me. She should know by now that I would do anything for her.”
Angel nodded.
“Well, what are you going to do then?”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Buffy sniffled and reached for another tissue. Darla sat next to her on the bed.
“Do you think Angel will get him to talk?” Buffy asked.
“Probably, considering both of them are in the same boat...somewhat.” Darla replied. “But then again, you should be the one talking to him.”
Buffy sighed.
“Don’t you think I know that?” Buffy asked. “But I just can’t right now. I think he needs time to think. He’s known for about an hour or so, and I have kinda known for three weeks now. I think he deserves some time to think.”
“Yeah, I guess that would be good. Plus, you know how Spike acts without thinking.” Darla said.
Buffy nodded.
“I think it’s the best thing for both of us to do right now. We can talk in the morning.” Buffy said, getting up from the bed.
“Where are you going?” Darla asked.
Buffy shrugged.
“I think I’m going to go sleep in the extra room for tonight.”
“Take this then.” Darla told her, tossing Buffy a comforter.
“Thanks. For everything.” Buffy said.
“It’s no problem.” Darla answered, looking down at her hands.
“Good night.” Buffy said as she slipped out the door.
Buffy closed the door to the room and started down the hallway. She paused when she heard sniffling coming from Anya and Xander’s room. She started to knock on the door, but thought better of it.
Instead, she opened the door and walked in, shutting it behind her. Anya jumped at the sudden intrusion from her spot on the bed and furiously swiped at her eyes.
Buffy walked over to her sister and sat down next to her on the bed. Anya looked at her expectantly. Buffy just scooted down next to her and hugged her tightly, crying silently. Anya suddenly burst into tears and hugged Buffy back. Soon, exhaustion took over and both fell asleep.
Xander ambled down the too quiet hall, shuffling his feet. He walked into his bedroom and saw both sisters asleep. He smiled slightly and left the room.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The next morning, Buffy woke up next to her sister. She smiled slightly. She got up and walked out of the room, carrying Darla’s unused comforter. When she walked into the room, Angel was trying to calm a screaming James.
“Hey.”
“Hey yourself.” Angel replied.
“How are things?” Buffy asked.
“They went good. You need to talk to him today.” Angel answered, rocking James in his arms.
“I plan to.” Buffy answered.
“I can’t get him to stop crying.” Angel said frustrated, standing up and bouncing James.
“Is he hungry?” Buffy asked.
“He shouldn’t be. Darla just fed him.” Angel answered.
“Oh. Maybe he just wants someone to play with him.” Buffy suggested.
Angel held James out to face him.
“But Daddy can’t right now. Daddy has to get ready for a very important interview.” Angel cooed.
James smiled and stopped fussing.
“I think you got it Buffy.” Angel told her.
Buffy smiled.
“I can take him until you and Darla are ready. I wouldn’t mind.” Buffy said. “Besides, I can use the practice, right?”
“Are you sure?” Angel asked. “Because you don’t have to if…”
“But I want to.” Buffy answered, cutting him off.
“Well, then buddy. Why don’t you go play with Aunty Buffy?” Angel said, in a baby voice.
Angel handed James to Buffy. James rested his head on Buffy’s shoulder and grabbed a fistful of her hair pulling it to him.
“Careful, he likes hair.” Angel said.
“I’ll be downstairs.” Buffy answered, grabbing a blanket and pacifier.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Spike walked downstairs to find Xander lying crooked on the sofa, his head hanging off the edge. Spike sighed and shook his head, walking over to Xander and trying to move him to a more comfortable position. The way he saw it, Xander’s back and neck would thank him for it later.
Spike walked into the kitchen and got a glass of water. He looked out the window above the sink. His breath caught in his throat when he saw Buffy.
She was sitting on a blanket in the grass, and James was lying in front of her. Buffy was making faces at the squirming baby, laughing when he would reach out and grab a handful of hair.
Spike watched the scene with pure love in his eyes. And suddenly, he knew that he would do anything for Buffy and their baby and that everything would be ok.