Chapter 6
It had been two days since the kitchen incident. The gang stood in the foyer watching as Faith and Drusilla had their things carried out by a couple of frat guys. Buffy leaned against Spike and he wrapped is arms around her tighter. Xander stood next to Anya, who avoided eye contact.
“That’s everything.” Faith said to one of the guys.
“See you in a few.” he answered, leaving.
Faith turned to look at Xander.
“Don’t worry Xand, if you get bored you know where to find me.”, she leered.
“That’s a lot of bedcovers to look under.” Fred commented.
“Like you would know.” Faith replied, glaring at her.
“Get out, bitch.” Anya spat.
Faith stared at her for a moment, then left, heaving with laughter.
Drusilla bounced down the stairs, clutching her precious doll and stopped in front of Spike.
“My poor Spoike. Even you’re lost to me now.” she said, moving to touch his cheek.
Spike moved away.
“I was never yours, Drusilla. Now leave.”
Drusilla looked at Buffy, and turned away, walking out the door.
Darla walked over, holding baby James, and shut the door. Everyone stood silently, until James started to wail.
“I’m gonna go feed him.” Darla said, going upstairs. Angel followed soon after, to take a shower.
The others trickled out slowly, leaving Buffy, Spike, Xander and Anya.
“I’m going to get my hair colored.” Anya said, grabbing her purse and heading out the door.
“Are you guys going to be alright?” Buffy asked.
“Yeah, I think so. But I’ve never seen her so upset. She was always carefree-Anya.” Xander said.
“You guys will work it out.” Buffy said, hugging Xander.
“I hope you’re right.” he said, then looked at Spike. “Want to go to the gym, man?”
Spike nodded.
“I’ll see you later, luv. You should get some sleep.” he told Buffy hugging her.
“Ok, if you insist.” Buffy answered, giggling slightly, and then grabbed Spike for a quick kiss.
Buffy watched them leave and rubbed her sweaty palms against her legs. She darted upstairs and knocked on Darla’s door.
“Come in.”
Buffy slipped in and stood at the doorway, watching as Darla cooed at James, before laying him down.
Darla noticed the look on Buffy’s face.
“Are you ok?” she asked.
“No. Not really. I need to talk to you.” Buffy answered, clasping her hands together nervously.
“You and Spike are not having problems are you?” Darla asked, motioning Buffy to join her on the bed.
“No. It’s not us, per say.” Buffy said, sighing.
“Buffy, you can tell me anything, sweetie.” Darla prodded.
Buffy closed her eyes and took a deep breath.
“How did you…know?” Buffy asked.
“Know? What…oh.” Darla said, her eyes widening in realization. “Are you sure?”
“I’m pretty sure. I think I’m pregnant.”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Spike was bench pressing weights, while Xander spotted him.
“Have you noticed Buffy acting strangely?” Spike asked, panting slightly.
“Strangely? As in how strange?” Xander asked.
Spike put the weights down and sat up to look at Xander.
“She’s just been acting…different. She seems to be tired a lot lately, like she’s worried about something, but won’t tell me what.”
“Maybe…it’s a woman thing.” Xander said, shrugging.
“Maybe.”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Buffy stood next to Darla in the grocery store examining the pregnancy tests. James lay in his car seat on the floor in front of them, completely unaware of his surroundings.
Buffy held a test in each hand.
“How the hell do I know which one to use?” Buffy asked throwing her hands in the air and placing the tests back on the shelf. “There are so many and they all look the same to me.”
Darla held a test in each of her hands and turned to Buffy.
“Now, would you prefer pee-on-a-strip or pee-in-a-cup?” she asked, holding them out for Buffy to see. “They both do the same thing; you just do the test differently.”
Buffy shrugged.
“Which one did you use?” Buffy asked.
“This one.” Darla said, placing a test in Buffy’s hand.
Buffy nodded and grabbed four more from the shelf before heading to the checkout.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Buffy and Darla walked in Buffy’s bedroom, just as Spike was coming out of the bathroom.
“Hello luv.”
Spike!” Buffy jumped, clutching the bag behind her.
Spike noticed the movement, but didn’t acknowledge it.
“Are you alright, kitten?” Spike asked.
Darla shifted James from on side the other.
“Oh…I-I’m fine.” Buffy stuttered. “We were going to go to the bathroom.”
“Together?” Spike asked, confused.
Before Buffy could answer, Darla interrupted.
“I was going to take Angel out tonight, you know a special dinner, and I needed Buffy to help me with my makeup.”
“Isn’t your makeup in your bathroom?” Spike asked.
“Well, yes, but I was going to try some of Buffy’s colors. You know how girls are.” Darla said, laughing.
“Right.” Spike said, not buying it.
Buffy darted into the bathroom, with Darla right behind her.
Spike sat down on the bed and looked at the closed door.
“Something’s wrong.”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fifteen minutes later, Buffy sat on the toilet and Darla sat against the bathtub playing with James.
“I think it’s time, sweetie.” Darla told her, standing up.
“I’m afraid to look.” Buffy said.
“Come on, honey. It’s now or never.”
Buffy picked up the first test.
“Positive.” Buffy announced, staring quietly at the strip.
Darla turned over the others, all positive.
“Its looks like you’re pregnant Buffy.”
“I am.” Buffy said, smiling, and putting a hand over her belly. “At least I know why my clothes are getting tight.”
Darla smiled.
“Doesn’t it feel good?”
“It’s feels wonderful.” Buffy said, grinning. Then her face darkened. “How am I going to tell Spike? What if he hates me?”
Darla patted Buffy on the back.
“He loves you Buffy. He would make a great father.”
“He would, wouldn’t he?” Buffy said.
“Besides, you need to tell him as soon as possible. He’s already knows something’s up. Didn’t you see the way he was looking at you and the way he kept questioning me?” Darla asked.
“I know. You’re right. But I’m scared.” Buffy said.
“I know you are sweetie, but if you hold it off, it will hurt him more, knowing that you knew and kept it from him. You should tell him tonight.”
Buffy nodded.
“Tonight.”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Spike lay back on the bed, his towel still wrapped around his torso. It had been almost half an hour and he knew it didn’t take that long to put makeup on. He glanced over as the door to the bathroom opened and Darla walked out with James.
“Night Spike.” she said, and then quickly left.
Spike sat up and looked around the corner for Buffy. He sighed and slipped some clothes on and went to stand outside the bathroom, out of sight.
Buffy gathered the tests and placed them in the boxes back in the paper bag. She closed it up and went to leave the bathroom. Just as she came out, she yelped at Spike and dropped the bag, spilling the contents on the floor.
“That doesn’t look like makeup pet. What’s going on?” Spike asked.
“N-nothing.” Buffy stuttered. “I’ll tell you later.”
She bent to pick up the tests, but Spike beat her to it. He stood there staring at the tests. Then he looked at Buffy.
“What the bloody hell?”