Chapter 5
Friday Afternoon
Buffy sat in a chair the living room reading over her Psychology notes. Spike was sleeping upstairs.
The rest of the week had gone by in a blur of classes, people, and notes. The classes got a little tougher and boring, although Buffy found Anthropology somewhat interesting.
Drusilla and Faith hadn’t caused too much trouble. The gang had talked again decided to give it another week, to Buffy and Spike’s dismay, as well as Xander and Anya’s.
Buffy stood up and stretched and headed to the kitchen to get something to drink. She paused at the doorway at the sound of two voices arguing. She moved closer and saw Xander and Faith.
“I told you to stay away from me!” Xander hissed.
Faith grinned and moved closer, cornering Xander.
“Oh come on baby. You can’t stay away from me.”
“Oh I can. And I will.” he said. “You don’t get it do you? I love Anya. Only Anya. You’re nothing to me.” Xander said, pushing her away.
Buffy felt a tap on her shoulder.
“What are you doing?” Anya asked.
Buffy’s eyes widened.
“Uh, nothing. What are you doing?” she answered, blocking the doorway.
Anya rolled her eyes.
“Getting something to eat.”
Anya shoved past Buffy as she yelled “No!”
Anya stood staring at the scene in front of her. Faith had Xander in a lip lock against the counter. Xander shoved her away. Xander was shouting at Faith, not knowing that Anya was standing there, tears running down her face.
Buffy moved behind Anya.
“She was coming on to him again Anya. He was telling her to stay away. You came at the wrong time.”
“I know. It still hurts though.”
At that moment, Xander turned around and jumped at the sight of Anya.
“Oh God, Anya. This is not what it looks like.”
“I know, Xander.”
“She jumped me, I shoved her off,” Xander continued babbling.
“Xander, I know!” Anya yelled.
Xander stopped, and stared at Anya.
“You know? What do you mean, you know?”
Faith stepped out from behind Xander and smirked.
“She means she knows what we’ve been doing.”
Anya’s eyes widened as she looked at them in shock.
Xander turned to Faith.
“Been doing? This is totally one-sided! You’ve been coming onto me for the past week! I have spent most of my free time trying to stay away from you! How dare you lie to Anya! I love her!”
Faith moved closer to Xander.
“Come on baby. I know you think about me at night. You-“
Faith was cut off when Anya slapped her. Faith held her hand to her cheek, shocked. She looked at Xander, then at Anya. She started to back up out of the room, when she began to laugh hysterically.
“Don’t worry, I’ll get you.” she said, then turned to Buffy. “By the way, B, you might wanna go check on your little boy toy.”
Faith ran out the back door.
Buffy stood there a moment, trying to take in what Faith had told her. She darted up the stairs to her room, and slammed the door open. Spike sat up in the bed and rubbed his eyes.
“What’s wrong, luv?”
Buffy sighed heavily and shut the door. Spike looked at her curiously.
“Buffy?”
Buffy walked over to the end of the bed.
“I just…” Buffy shook her head.
Spike opened his arms, and Buffy climbed into the bed. Buffy lay there a moment, thoughts and feelings running through her head like a whirlwind.
“Faith made a move on Xander. Anya saw them.” Buffy told him.
“How’s Anya?” Spike asked.
“She’s really upset. It’s weird, seeing her cry. She was always the really strong one in the family. Seeing her break down in front of me like that, you know she hurts.”
“I’ve never seen her unhappy, myself. It’ll be all right though. Xander and Anya.” Spike said, rubbing Buffy’s arm.
“I hope you’re right.” Buffy told him.
“Aren’t I always?” Spike asked, causing Buffy to giggle. “Why did you burst in here like that?” he asked.
Buffy froze; a guilty that she thought Spike would cheat on her.
“Well, Faith, before she ran out, she said something.”
“And?” Spike prodded, looking at her.
“She…she said that I should go upstairs and check on you.”
“What the bloody hell is that supposed to mean?” Spike asked.
“I don’t really know. The first thing I though of was Drusilla.” Buffy admitted, looking down and crying silently.
Spike sighed, and grabbed Buffy’s chin forcing her to look him in the eye.
“What I had felt for Drusilla, or what I thought I felt, is in the past. I never loved her, Buffy. Not like I love you.” he said, stroking her cheek. “I love you.”
Buffy wiped her eyes and smiled at Spike.
“I love you too, Spike.”
Spike smiled and hugged Buffy to him.
“Oh, and Drusilla? She’s a loony bint. She talks to her bloody dolls. I prefer my women sane.” Spike said, chuckling.
Buffy giggled, and then looked at Spike.
“She talks to her dolls?”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Meanwhile, downstairs in the kitchen, Xander and Anya stood on opposite sides of the kitchen, staring at each other.
“Anya, you’ve got to believe me. Nothing ever happened except for that kiss. If you can even call it a kiss.” Xander told her.
Anya sighed.
“I do. I do believe you Xander. It just…hurts. It hurts really bad.”
“I know. And I’m sorry. Things have been really out of control lately.” Xander said.
Xander moved around the counter and hugged Anya tightly. Anya pulled away and looked at Xander.
“I just think it would be best if we just took a little time off. I need to think, clear my head. I love you Xander, I do.”, she said, kissing him. “And if you really love me, you won’t be mad. Both of us need to think, really. And just because we’re taking time off doesn’t mean we can’t still share the same bed or be in each other’s presence. I’m mainly talking about sex.”
“I can’t believe you just said that.” Xander said, smiling slightly.
“I know.” Anya said, scrunching her face up.
“But I do agree with you, I guess. If you want.”
Anya nodded.
“I should probably check on Buffy.” Anya said.
“Yeah. I just hope they’re ok.” Xander said, glancing up at the ceiling.
Anya headed towards the door.
“Are we ok?” Xander asked, stopping her.
Anya stood there a moment, and then nodded.
“We will be.” she answered, walking out of the door.