Chapter 9

Buffy woke up Tuesday morning before her alarm went off. She looked down at Spike, who had fallen asleep with his head on her stomach. Buffy smiled and ran her fingers through his platinum locks. He grumbled slightly before stirring awake, and moved his head to look up at Buffy.

“Mornin’ luv.”

“Good morning Spike.” Buffy giggled.

Spike moved up the bed so he could lie on his side next to Buffy.

“So, I take you to the doc today.” he said quietly, playing with her hair.

“I know.” Buffy answered, snuggling closer to his body.

Spike sat up quickly using his elbow for support.

“Do we get to find out what it is?” he asked excitedly.

Buffy giggled.

“I don’t think I’m that far along yet dear.” she answered.

“Damn.” Spike answered, putting his head back down, before popping up again. “Well, when do we find out?”

Buffy shrugged.

“You don’t know?” Spike asked.

“I just found out I’m pregnant.” Buffy huffed.

“Well, you’re the mother. You should know.” Spike said.

“And you’re the father. Don’t you think you should know?” Buffy retorted.

“Right.” Spike answered slowly grinning.

Buffy ran her fingers along Spike’s arm.

“I can’t believe we’re gonna have a baby.” she said quietly.

“I know, luv.” Spike answered. “I’m scared though.” he said quietly.

“Me too.” Buffy said, and then grinned. “So, let’s be scared together.”

Spike chuckled, glancing over at the clock.

“We should probably get ready, kitten.”

Buffy groaned, and flipped over, hiding her face into her pillow.

“I don’t wanna go.”

Spike laughed at her muffled voice and grabbed her sides.

“Come on, luv. I’m not capable of taking a shower by myself, ‘member?” Spike teased.

Buffy turned back over and smiled coyly.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Buffy moped down the stairs and met Spike at the door.

“Finally. Thought I was going to have to come up there and throw you over my shoulder.” Spike commented.

Buffy pouted.

“But I don’t wanna go. I hate doctors.”

“But you need to go for the nibblet.” Spike said pointedly.

“I know that. I’m just scared.” Buffy whispered.

Spike pulled Buffy toward him and hugged her tightly.

“I’ll be there the whole time.” Spike told her. “And,” he said, looking at the clock, “we’re going to be late if we don’t leave now.”

Buffy pulled away from Spike and pouted again.

“Look at that lip. Gonna get it.” Spike teased, pulling Buffy to him and kissing her.

Buffy giggled and pulled away.

“To the doctor?” Spike asked.

“To the doctor.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Buffy sat in a small examination room wearing a hospital gown. She glanced at the clock for the tenth time in five minutes and banged her feet against the table she was sitting on. She glanced at the clock again. Dr. Shultz had come in a while ago and performed the necessary tests, but hadn’t come back yet.

‘What if something’s wrong? What if I’m not pregnant?’ Buffy thought, on the verge of panic. Spike hadn’t been allowed in the room during the examination, and had yet to return. Suddenly the door opened and Dr. Shultz appeared with Spike in tow. Relief immediately flooded through Buffy and she smiled slightly at Spike. Spike smiled back at her and moved to stand next to her grasping her hand in his.

“Well Buffy, you are indeed pregnant.” Dr. Shultz said, looking over her charts.

Buffy’s smile got even bigger. Spike squeezed her hand and grinned.

“Your blood tests and urinalysis are normal. You have no STD's. It seems that you are nine weeks along, about two months going into the third.” Dr. Shultz peered at Buffy over her charts.

Buffy nodded dumbly, too overwhelmed and excited to answer.

“Now, symptoms you will experience will range from morning sickness to weight gain. The only weight gain you will have will be very minimal. Your clothes may be a little snug. You will have food cravings, bloating, and nausea, as well as mood swings.” Dr. Shultz continued.

“Sounds like fun.” Buffy joked, smiling.

Dr. Shultz chuckled.

“What does the baby look like?” Spike asked anxiously.

“Well, he or she will be about the size of a strawberry.”

“That’s it?” Spike asked, looking at Buffy’s stomach.

Buffy suppressed a giggle.

“Yes. Remember, Buffy is only two months along. The baby’s arms and legs are somewhat long and the head and neck are more developed. Now, the baby will be able to move its body and limbs, but you won’t be able to feel it.”

Spike looked at Dr. Shultz with a shocked expression.

“You mean that the baby is just swimming around in there?”

Buffy giggled and wrapped her arm around Spike.

“No, the baby is attached to the umbilical cord, so he’s pretty stable.” Dr. Shultz answered, grinning. “You can see it in an ultrasound.”

“I want one ‘o those.” Spike said.

Dr. Shultz chuckled and nodded, moving to a small machine beside Buffy.

“Why don’t you lay down for me Buffy?”

Buffy lay back on the cold table and looked at Spike. Spike smirked at her and rubbed her stomach.

“Now this will be a little cold.” Dr. Shultz said, before squirting gel on Buffy’s stomach.

Buffy jumped slightly and grasped Spike’s hand tighter. They were going to see their baby.

Dr. Shultz ran a wand over Buffy’s stomach and an image popped up on the screen in front of them. Dr. Shultz pointed out the baby’s body parts on the screen. Buffy glanced at Spike, who stared at the screen in awe.

“Wow.”, was all he could say.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Buffy and Spike walked out of the doctor’s office. Spike wrapped his arm around Buffy and glanced over at the picture in her hand. They really couldn’t see very much, but Spike had begged for a picture. They stopped walking and leaned against the side of the building. Buffy leaned into Spike’s embrace and looked at the picture again.

“She’s so small.” Buffy said.

“How do you know it’s a she?” Spike asked.

“I don’t know, but it’s better than calling our baby an it.” Buffy answered, smiling and tucking the picture carefully into her purse.

“I love you.” Spike said suddenly.

Buffy looked up at Spike.

“I love you too Spike. I can’t say how much it means to me that you were with me today.” Buffy said, hugging him tightly.

“I told you I would be there for you the whole way, and that’s exactly what I’m gonna do.” Spike said, kissing her. “And now, I’m gonna feed you and the bit.”

Buffy giggled as Spike pulled Buffy down the sidewalk. Buffy spotted a familiar face walking down the street and stopped.

“Buffy!”

“Hi Andrew.” Buffy greeted.

Spike pulled Buffy closer to him and held out his hand to the boy.

“’m Spike.”

Andrew’s eyes widened.

“Wow. He’s Spike?” he asked, looking at Buffy. “It’s so cool to finally meet you. Buffy only talks about you constantly.” Andrew said, shaking Spike’s hand.

Spike chuckled.

“Does she now?” he teased.

“Spike!” Buffy groaned, but couldn’t keep herself from smiling. “What are you doing in town?” she asked Andrew.

“Oh, I’m just cruising the shops.” Andrew said, trying to sound cool.

“Comic books?” Buffy asked.

“Yep.” Andrew replied, holding up a large bag.

“Bloody hell. Did you buy out the whole store?” Spike asked, smirking.

“I ran short of cash.” Andrew replied in all seriousness.

“Right.” Spike answered slowly.

“What are you guys doing?” Andrew asked.

“Oh, uh...I had to go see the doctor.” Buffy stammered.

“Are you sick?” Andrew asked.

“Kinda. Only in the mornings.” Buffy answered, causing Spike to chuckle.

“Yeah. I guess that would explain the OB/GYN visit.” Andrew said offhandedly.

Buffy and Spike’s eyes widened in shock.

“WH-what do you mean by that?” Buffy asked.

“Well,” Andrew started, peering around Buffy and Spike at the building behind them, “You’re standing in front of an OB/GYN office and you said you’ve been sick every morning. Two plus two.” he finished, unwrapping a candy bar and taking a bite.

“You’re a smart little bugger.” Spike commented.

“It’s a burden I alone must carry.” Andrew said, sighing. “Well, anyway, I gotta go. You can tell me everything tomorrow.” he said to Buffy, and then promptly walked away.

Buffy and Spike watched him walk away, then Buffy burst into a fit of giggles.

“What’s so funny, luv?” Spike asked, grinning.

“He’s just so...cute. Can I keep him as my pet?” Buffy asked eagerly.

“Aren’t I cute enough for you?” Spike mocked.

“You,” Buffy said, pressing herself against him, “are very manly and very hot.”

Spike grabbed Buffy and kissed her hard before pulling away.

“About your friend. I have an idea.”