Does Absence Make the Heart Grow Fonder? by Chloe Marsters
Summary: When child rivals over the attention of Xander Angelus, his best friend William Giles and his little cousin Elizabeth Summers couldn't even stand in the same room together without fighting! Then Elizabeth gets packed off to boarding school in England when she is 12! When they meet again will their relationship change? Or was there a deeper feeling below their hatred for each other?
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 4820 Read: 6369 Published: 09/07/2008 Updated: 09/21/2008

1. Chapter 1 by Chloe Marsters

2. Chapter 2 by Chloe Marsters

3. Chapter 3 by Chloe Marsters

4. Chapter 4 by Chloe Marsters

Chapter 1 by Chloe Marsters
Author's Notes:
This is my first fic so i hope you enjoy. Please Review.
When Hank Summers first laid eyes on Joyce Kiernan, he knew she was the one for him. He saw her nervous figure in the corner of the huge ballroom and couldn’t wait to introduce himself, although he was quite nervous he made his way toward her. As he started to walk towards her, the nearer he got the more he noticed her unique beauty. She had soft blonde curls falling loose around her face, her lips were full and sensuous, he was just imagining how soft they would feel against his own, and such warm green eyes which were accentuated by her emerald green silk dress hugging her figure in all the right places. He reached her and was ready to introduce himself, offering his hand.

“Hello. I’m Hank Summers.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 years later . . .

Hank Summers was just replaying the moment he and Joyce first met in his wedding speech and thanking God that he had the courage to ask her to dance. After dating for three and a half years he finally managed to pluck up the courage to ask her the big question.

Later that night their soon to be troublesome daughter was to be conceived.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 years later . . .

Elizabeth Anne Summers was born into the very luxurious and fairly hectic lifestyle of the Summers residence. Fortunately she got her looks from her mother as Hank wasn’t exactly a looker. She had long honey blonde hair with the same green eyes as Joyce, she was a pretty child and everyone commented on how beautiful she will turn out to be when she was older. Hank and Joyce moved into Hank’s parents house as his father Ben wanted to keep the family together. As his wife had died and he needed the company. Hanks sister Cecily and her husband Liam Angelus moved in also. The house certainly was big enough as it was an ex hotel. Angel and Cecily also had one child which they named Xander. Xander was 4 years older than Buffy and as a child was completely ignored by the family and his only companion was himself, he was a chubby child with chocolate brown hair and dark brown eyes, compared to Buffy he was plain but he was still quite cute. Xander was an unbelievably well behaved boy. He never cried when he was a baby and he slept the whole way through the night. The nannies who raised him were amazed at how good he was. And then Buffy came along! She was one of the worst behaved children in the whole of California. She was spoiled rotten by her grandfather, which everyone was amazed at because he ignored his children growing up and barely said two words to Xander. He used to say that she reminded her of him. As the two kids grew up they became inseparable. At the age of five and nine something went terribly wrong for Buffy. William Giles came into Xander’s life!

William Giles was also nine years old. He hand dirty blonde curly hair and the most piercingly cerulean blue eyes and was very handsome for his age. His family moved to LA and when he went to school he was made fun of because of his English accent. When he would return to his home and his parents could detect a hint of a Californian accent they would beat it out of him. When he met Xander, the two hit it off like a house on fire. Soon William became a permanent fixture in the Summers’ household much to Buffy’s dismay, also William’s. the two continuously argued and fought mentally and physically. William would find it uncool to be hanging around with a five year old and Buffy was jealous of Xander’s relationship with William. This continuous fighting went on for seven years and never once did they play nicely.

One day their fighting took a serious turn of events. Buffy was in her room imagining she was married to George Clooney when she saw Xander go into the tree house. Xander had painstakingly built a tree house which took him a whole three weeks to build Buffy wanted to play with Xander and William wouldn’t allow it. She crept up the ladder to sneak in and play with them when William and herself started fighting when he saw Buffy. They started fighting and the tree house started shake. They stopped fighting physically and kept shouting at each other.

“STOP FIGHTING!” roared Xander but they couldn’t hear him from their roaring match. “IT’S GONNA FALL! IT’S SHAKING!” he tried again but they still weren’t listening.

“JUST LEAVE ME AND XANDER ALONE AND GO PLAY WITH YOUR BARBIES!” William shouted.

“I’M TWELVE YEARS OLD I DON’T PLAY WITH BAAARRRBIES ANYMORE, YOU FREAKY ENGLISH PILLOCK” Buffy mimicked his English accent perfectly.

“What did you just call me?”

“PILLOCK” and that when she lunged for him.

William was taken aback and it took him a few moments to get his bearings and then he tackled her to the floor and with one final crack the tree house started to fall. It was like watching a movie in slow motion the two boys instinctively grabbed onto the tree but Buffy was unbalanced. Neither of the boys could do anything she landed on the ground with a thud and was motionless.

“BUFFY?” called Xander. He started his way down the tree but William was too quick for him and was down there in seconds.

William held her limp body in his muscular arms and was shouting her name and shaking her until she eventually opened her eyes. She took a minute to answer.

“Xander? Is that you?” she put her hand up to her head and felt warm sticky liquid.

“No. It’s me, William!”

“William . . .” but she was to weak to carry on. She took a moment to take in William’s facial features. She never noticed how handsome he was with his high cheek bones and cerulean eyes which had so much emotion behind them. She was thinking at how much nicer looking he was than George Clooney but then reality sunk in. It’s WILLIAM, horrible, nasty William who nearly killed me! And then blackness over came her.

A few days later and she was out of the hospital. Fortunately she only needed five stitches in her head and was kept in for observation. Fortunately William didn’t get away scratch free he had to get sutures in his left eyebrow and they said it would scar. ‘He deserved it’ she thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy’s spoiled behaviour was getting worse due to Ben’s continuous attention and at the age of twelve Hank thought he had to do something about it but he knew as long as he was under his fathers roof he wouldn’t allow him do anything to Buffy.

At breakfast Xander walked in on his granddad lying on the kitchen table clutching his chest. His face had a tinge of blue in it and in an instant he knew what had happened.

He was dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 weeks later . . .

Buffy was on a plane to England. Hank had sent her off to boarding school in England.
Chapter 2 by Chloe Marsters
Author's Notes:
I hope you enjoy :-)
Buffy was 18 now and hadn’t yet stepped foot in America since her move to England. Hank wouldn’t allow it which caused friction in his marriage to Joyce but they stuck together. She was sharing a room with a girl called Willow. She was her best friend in the whole school. Although Willow wasn’t pretty in the conventional way with her pale skin and red hair. There was something special about her appearance which was magnetic. Willow was the school nerd, unlike Buffy who was the most popular girl in school. Willow was amazed that Buffy had remained friends with her since her first day as her popularity grew.

Buffy had blossomed into a beautiful young lady. With her long blonde hair highlighted, her face was clear and smooth with a natural rosy tinge to her cheeks which meant she rarely had to wear make-up, but it was her smouldering green eyes which made her face stand out from the rest.

The A levels were just about to end and when they did Buffy was going back to America to see the dreaded parents and Willow was moving out there to go to UCLA and study science and Buffy was going to study psychology.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Buffy and Willow were boarding the plane, reality sunk into Buffy. This was NOT going to be a pleasant trip. First of all she hadn’t seen her parents in just under 6 years, and secondly she had no friends over there. Her relationship with Xander had ended when she left as her parents said that he didn’t want to speak to her again. Buffy didn’t understand why, but all the letters she had sent him were never returned.

“Oh Will, I don’t know what I’m going to say to my parents! Should I hate them for what they did to me?” the question went unanswered, “ Fuck, why did they make me come back?”

“Just relax, it’ll all be alright.” but Willow couldn’t hide the uncertainty in her voice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Xander never understood why Buffy didn’t keep in contact. All his letters went unanswered. He guessed what Hank said was true, Buffy didn’t care about him anymore. He always thought that they were going to stay close forever. He just wished things were different. Hank never did forgive him for the tree house incident. Just then William knocked at the door.

“Hi, Willia . . .”

“How many times do I have to tell you? It’s Spike now!” he growled.

William had changed a lot since he was a young boy. He had decided to bleach his hair when he joined the band and it accentuated his piercing blue eyes and his rugged good looks. He really had turned out well. He stood at 5 foot 10 inches. His usual attire was off tight black jeans and his trademark duster. He also wore tight fitting t-shirts which showed off his lean figure which hugged his perfectly toned abs. He wore his normally curly hair gelled back off his face and he was always popular with the ladies. Xander was a very plain looking guy with brown hair and brown eyes. He was a little chubby but he wasn’t at all bad looking.

“Oh, yeah sorry Wi . . . Spike” Xander quickly corrected himself. Note to self he’s Spike now!!! “ so where’s the Dingoes playing tomorrow night?”

“Some freshman party in UCLA, you know same ol’ same ol’”

“D’ya want me to tag along?”

“No it’s fine” Spike said, he knew Xander wasn’t in the mood as he just broke up with his long term girlfriend Anya yesterday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the two girls arrived in LAX the next day they decided to go straight to their dorm and unpack.

Buffy entered their shared room first and noticed a flier on the floor. It was inviting them to the freshman party which was on tonight.

“Ooooh, look Will,” she showed the flier to her “It’s gonna be our first college party! What d’ya think? Wanna go? Apparently ‘The Dingoes’ are playing whoever they are? Ha, look their lead singer is called Spike!”

“Ha, who calls themselves by that name? Weird”

“So, do ya wanna go?”

“Don’t you want to get settled in first?” asked Willow a little hesitantly.

“There is no better way.” she answered with a wink.

“Oh, alright then. Who knows there might be some cute boys we can stare at!”

“We won’t be the ones staring when I get us all dolled up” a sly smile fluttered across her lips.

“Buff?” she asked cautiously “What are you planning?”

She only answered with a cheeky wink.

4 hours later and the girls were unpacked and ready to get ready for the party which was only 2 hours away. After they both had showers and were fresh and clean, Buffy started to pick out her outfit. She looked over at Willow and noticed what she was planning to wear.

“You can’t wear that! We’re not going to a convent!”

Willow looked at her questioningly.

“Why do I even bother? I’ll dress you when I’m done. OK?” the question was rhetorical.

Buffy slipped on a tight red dress which she realised she couldn’t wear a bra as it was so tight! It pushed up her breasts, showing more than enough cleavage and it went half way up her thigh. She looked in the mirror and was wondering what to do with her hair.

“Up . . . Or down?” she asked Willow, as she modelled the hairstyle.

“Hmm . . . Up with a few curls framing your face?”

“Perfect!” Buffy was just putting on her make-up and then she was going to start on Willow. She left her make-up natural looking with just lip-gloss and eyeliner and mascara. She turned around to Willow.

“It’s your turn now”

“Well whatever you do I know I won’t look half as good as you tonight!”

Buffy blushed she never really could take compliments. She was never vain and was blind to her beautiful looks.

Willow quickly changed the subject, “So, what are you gonna make me wear?”

Buffy showed her a black leather miniskirt and a halter neck top which showed her naval.

“I am NOT wearing that! It doesn’t leave a lot to the imagination!” Willow exclaimed.

“Yes you fucking well are!”

Willow could see that stubborn look in Buffy’s eyes that said she’s not changing her mind.

“Okay,” Willow answered dejectedly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the two girls got to the party, they made their way through the crowds to find a table. The Dingoes were just setting up, but the two girls weren’t paying attention. Neither were most of the male crowd as they were mostly staring at the two girls.

“Hello! We’re the Dingoes and . . .” shouted Spike but Buffy didn’t listen to the rest. She recognised his unique English drawl even though she hadn‘t heard it in 6 years.

‘Fuck me, that’s William!’.
End Notes:
Please review! i want to know if you liked it!!
Chapter 3 by Chloe Marsters
Author's Notes:
i hope you enjoy! please please review!
At the start of the set Spike scanned the crowd. It was a big group tonight. And that’s when he saw her, the most beautiful thing he had ever seen in his life and in his favourite colour as well. He saw all of the wankers trying to dance with her and he wished the set would end soon so he could go talk to her.

When the set finished, he made his way towards her. Her face looked vaguely familiar but that was probably from around campus. She was staring at him, suddenly she turned around and headed for the door.

‘Oh, crap, shit, fuck! He’s coming over, he recognises me oh god I’m not in the mood for him tonight’ Buffy thought. She turned around and headed for the door. Suddenly she felt a hand on her shoulder.

“And where do you think your going little lady?”

“Huh?”

“Sorry, where are my manners, I’m . . .”

He didn’t get a chance to finish before Buffy interrupted “I know who you are William”

He hadn’t heard his real name in over 4 years except for Xander but he’s never going to learn it. How did she know my name? he thought.

“Excuse me but I don’t think I caught your name.”

“Well I didn’t say it, did I? and you know exactly who I am so you can cut the bullshit.”

He just stared at her blankly.

“You seriously can’t remember me. I’ll give you a clue, that scar on your left eyebrow, I was part of that accident!”

“Buffy?”

“Oh so your head still works then, still a bit slow but what can you do?”

“What the bloody hell are you doing here?”

“Well I think you’ll find it’s none of your fucking business!” she snapped back.

“I thought you were in England in school.”

“Well as you can see” Buffy took his hand and placed it on her shoulder I’m in LA now.”

Spike’s hand lingered there for a moment longer then necessary. Buffy wasn’t sure but she thought she saw a flash of desire run through his piercing blue eyes. That’s when Buffy took in the changes in William. ‘Change was good, no bad, bad Buffy!’ Buffy was beginning to stare and was unaware that Spike was looking at her weird.

“Hmm . . . Buffy?”

Silence . . .

Spike coughed and still nothing so he decided to give her a little shake.

Buffy quickly snapped out of her daze.

“Mmm . . . You got a little drool on your . . .” he pointed to her face.

“Shit!” Buffy quickly wiped her face and blushed the same colour as her dress from th tip of her toes to the top of her head. Spike was thinking of how cute she looked when she blushed.

“See something’ you like, love?” he added with a wolfish grin and a cheeky wink.

“Ha . . . You wish . . . Mmm . . . There I mean I was just looking at err . . . Oh fuck off!” she snapped back.

“Whatever you say, kitten” he winked at her again.

“Do you have a twitch in your eye or something, captain peroxide?” she said sarcastically.

He was just about to leave when Spike felt her soft hand touch his forearm.

“Wait, do you still speak with Xander?” she asked hesitantly.

“Yes, I live with him now. Not like you’d want to know anyway.”

“What do you mean?” but he was already gone. Buffy was just replaying their conversation. Why would you want to know anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike was also replaying their last conversation. ‘Christ she had a nerve asking about Xander when she severed all contact with him. She could be so selfish‘. He was wondering if he should tell Xander about their little meeting but he decided not to. He was already hurt that Anya broke up with him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy ran up to Willow and dragged her out of the party. “We’re going home” she stated.

“I kinda guessed that, Buff. What‘s made you all huffy Buffy?”

“I’ll tell you later but first let’s go back to the dorm.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A couple of hours later and Buffy had told Willow the whole story.

“Oh my God, what was that all about saying that you wouldn’t want to know. I already don’t like this William . . . Spike guy. Even though I’ve never liked him!”

“Good because he’s a good for nothing son of a bi . . .” she was interrupted by Willow.

“I know you dislike him a lot but there’s no need for that!”

“Oh yes there fucking is! And did I mention how he called me kitten and love! I’m not any of those things!” she exclaimed.

“Buffy, you are kinda going on a bit too long about it now. It looks to me as if you have some other feelings for him?” Buffy shot her a ‘if looks could kill’ glare. “okay, okay, just saying.

“I’m going to sleep, night Wills.”

“Night.”

But Buffy couldn’t get to sleep. Her mind was raging from what Willow just said. Finally, at 2.30 am, Buffy fell asleep. She dreamt a weird dream. When Spike was hitting on her she went along and they ended up dancing together which turned into a night of hot passion. She awoke with a scream.

“Oh. No! what’s happening to me?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little did Buffy know that on the other side of campus, someone else was having the exact same dream. Spike awoke to a hard on, from his dream about Buffy. “Oh shit! No, no, no she’s Xander’s cousin it would be wrong. No!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“How was the show last night?” Xander asked when his friend emerged from his bedroom.

“It was good, the crowd really liked us.” Spike answered. Spike filled him in on the events of last night but left out the part about Buffy. His friend really missed her and Spike didn’t want to upset him.

Spike was getting ready for his TA in Psychology with Professor Maggie Walsh. He was getting really nervous as it was his first class.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first day and Buffy and Willow were excited.

“What if the teachers don’t like me? Oh no, what if I get kicked out of class?” Willow asked nervously.

“Don’t worry, that’s never going to happen to you, so relax!”

“Alright, so what’s your first class?”

“Psych 101, with Professor Walsh.” Buffy looked at her watch “Ooh I better go I don’t want to be late for my first day now do I?” she added with a laugh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike was entering the lecture room and was quite nervous. Walsh walked over to him and assured him that he’d be okay. The first student arrived 10 minutes later. But to Spike’s surprise it was none other than Buffy Summers. ‘Oh bollocks!’

Professor Walsh was doing her introduction when scanned the crowd of students until he spotted Buffy. He couldn’t help but notice how attractive she was. He needed to get her out of his mind. But how? He needed to get a girlfriend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy was stunned to see Spike standing at the front of the class. ‘Could this day get any worse?’. she wondered to herself. The class was fun but she couldn’t help but feel like it was dragging. Buffy couldn’t stop looking at him. ‘There is something really wrong with me.’ she thought miserably. But she couldn’t help but notice him string at her a few times.

Finally, the class ended and she bolted for the door. She ran down the corridor and rounded a corner. Buffy bumped into somebody. She looked up, it was Xander.

“Sorry . . . Emm . . . Hi . . . Emm . . .” she was thinking about what the hell she was going to talk to him about after so many years.
End Notes:
i know its a little slow but things will heat after the next couple of chapters because i have this story in my head and i cant really change it too much!
Chapter 4 by Chloe Marsters
Author's Notes:
i hope you enjoy, i'm sorry for not posting for so long i had writers block :(
“You never told me you saw Buffy!” he barged into the house they were renting across the way from campus. The two were living alone in a 4 bedroom house.

“Huh?”

“Buffy, at the party”

“Oh yeah, how did you find out about that?”

“I just bumped into her at college.”

“I meant to tell you but then I thought it might upset you or something.” spike said warily, looking for Xander’s reaction.

“I don’t care about that.” he stated. A huge smile was plastered on his face. “She never wanted to lose contact with me! Our parents separated us. I cant believe they did it though. They knew how much we cared about each other.” Xander stopped babbling on for a minute and was wondering the best way to give the news to his best friend. He decided just to say it straight out. “I asked her and her friend to move in with us, and she said yes, can you believe it!” he said it kind of fast.

“What?” he took a few minutes to take it all in. “Do I even have a say in the matter?”

“Of course you do.”

Spike new he couldn’t change Xander’s mind so he gave in. “Okay, Whelp.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in her dorm room, Buffy was telling Willow about her catch up with Xander. “So . . . What do you think? Are you gonna move in with me? When I move like?”

“Of course I am! Anything to get out of this crappy room.” She gave a quick glance around the room. “There is nothing keeping me here.” She stated. And as an afterthought, “Oh and wherever you go I’ll be following.”

“Good, I’m so happy! I can’t wait to see him again. God, has it really been 6 years?” she was asking herself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 days later and it was the day of the move. Buffy and Willow couldn’t wait. The two cousins were meeting up everyday for lunch and dinner, they were inseparable again and it was like they had talked to each other for the last 6 years. When Buffy and Willow arrived with their stuff Spike was nowhere to be seen. He had purposefully made himself scarce for their arrival so he didn’t have to help put their things away.

A few hours later and the two girls were settled in. Buffy noticed how Xander and Willow were flirting since the first moment they met a couple of days ago. The attraction was mutual. After coming out of the pool, they were all sunbathing in the afternoon sun drinking sodas by the pool. To dry off. There was a sudkden loud banging of the back door.

“Who the hell put these on the couch?” he asked aggressively. He was holding up a couple of pink flowery cushions. He knew it wasn’t a big deal but he didn’t want their move to be smooth.

“Oh, hey Wil . . . Spike. I don’t believe you’ve met Willo . . .”

“Whatever, I asked who the fuck put these in there?”

“I did.” Buffy stated bravely. She got up from where she was lying so she wouldn’t be so intimidated. But then she realised she was only wearing her bikini which didn’t really make her that much more confident either. “I thought they might make the place look brighter.”

“I think their nice as well.” Xander butted in.

“Well I don’t fucking like them so there going either in the bin or you can put them in the bedroom your staying in.” he couldn’t quite say your bedroom yet.

“Okay geez, chill out would you!” she made her way towards his outstretched arm to take the pillows. He took that moment to look at her. She was only wearing a little white bikini and her skin was glistening with droplets of water. Her blonde hair was reflecting the suns rays and she reminded him of an angel. Spike could feel his already tight jeans getting tighter.

“Good.” and he stalked off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy was in L.A. two weeks now and she was meeting up with her parents today. Buffy was on her way up to the front door and she paused before knocking. Her nerves were getting real bad. She thought she was going to hurl. When she brought her hand up to the knocker and saw that they were shaking so she decided to go for the doorbell instead.

The door opened and her mother stood behind it. “Hi mom.” and Joyce gave her a huge hug. Buffy thought she might stop breathing it was so tight.

“I missed you so much Buffy.” she sobbed.

“Can’t . . . breathe” Buffy managed to get out breathlessly. Her mother must know that she wasn’t going to forgive her that easily. Joyce let her go and she took a very needed breath. Hank walked into the hall and gave Buffy a once over glance.

“My, Buffy, how you’ve gotten so beautiful. I nearly didn’t recognise you.” he gave her a warm smile.

“And whose fault is that, because it certainly wasn’t mine.”

“Buffy!” Joyce warned.

“No you sent me off to England and you didn’t even visit me once! Not once!” She was starting to raise her voice now. “Were you that ashamed of me? You didn’t even come to see me?”

“I’m sorry we thought it was for your own good. We both love you so much.” Hank said.

“Well, whatever. And what about all of those letters that Xander sent me that you kept from me? Well that didn’t work out because we’re living together now.” her voice was beginning to crack. “Do you know what its like to be ignored by your own parents?”

“Yes and we are very sorry. Lets sit down and talk in there.” Hank pointed towards the sitting room.

Buffy made her way to the couch to sit down. Followed closely by her parents.

3 hours later and Buffy and her parents had finished talking about the past. Buffy got out all her feelings towards them and they never got angry except Hank was started to but Joyce had calmed him down. Buffy still hadn’t fully forgiven them and she doubted she ever would but she didn’t hate them any more. But then they told her the real reason they brought her for their little meeting.

“Your what?” Buffy was shocked beyond words. “How did this happen? Actually I don’t think I want to know!”
End Notes:
tell me what you thought please, i love reviews
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=32435