Chapter 29: Love Roller Coaster


They got cleaned up after the movie, and rejoined the crew and other actors on the soundstage. The Mayor said that he had a special surprise for everyone.

"What do you think it is?" Buffy asked.

Spike shrugged. "Maybe he bought us all some nice presents for winning so many awards."

"Maybe he's going to give us money," Xander said, rubbing his hands together.

"Everyone, may I have your attention?" Wilkins said with a big smile, standing by a set of double doors.

They all quieted and waited.

"Are you ready for your surprise?" he asked.

Everyone nodded and smiled.

"The prodigal daughter returns!"

He opened the doors to reveal Lilah standing there.

All of them were surprised, they hadn't heard much from her since she went away. Spike and Xander's surprise was tempered with anxiety. The time they had spent cavorting with Lilah had been full of very hot and delicious memories to cherish--But it seemed like a thousand years ago. Their lives were so different now.

"Hi, everyone! I missed you all so much!" Lilah exclaimed, receiving hugs from the actors. "I used up all of my vacation time for the next 5 years!"

Everyone chuckled.

"Isn't it great, Spike?" Buffy smiled. "Lilah's back!" Buffy went to give her a hug too.

"Yeah...great, wonderful," Spike said, glancing at Xander. Xander was looking back at him apprehensively.

Lilah looked fantastic, even more beautiful than they remembered her as being. She was tanned, happy and relaxed.

"Buffy!" Lilah said, giving the blonde a kiss on both cheeks. "I am so proud of you! Was I right, or was I right? You're a star, honey!"

Buffy giggled and blushed. "Thanks, Lilah. You and Mr. Wilkins have been so good to me. I could never thank you enough!"

Lilah smirked. "Just keep up the terrific work on your movies, that'll be thanks enough."

Buffy saluted her. "Yes, Ma'am! I will!"

Lilah's face lit up when she saw Spike and Xander standing back in the crowd. "Spike! Xander! Come up here and give me a hug!"

They gulped, put but happy, unconcerned smiles on their faces and walked up to her. Lilah got Xander in a bear hug first, enjoying feeling his body against hers once again. Oh how she wanted to fuck them both senseless. It had been so long, she’d pined for her boy toys--Though she had taken a few lovers while in Europe. But she never had so good a time as when she was with the boyish brunette and the blonde bombshell. She wanted to go back to their place and make some new private movies as soon as possible.

Then Lilah turned to Spike, her smile was just as sinful as he recalled, if not more so.

She wrapped her arms around his middle and whispered in his ear. "Miss me?"

"S-Sure, we all did! We missed you around the place," Spike said. He squeaked when her hands slid down to his ass and gave him a hard squeeze. Luckily, Buffy was talking to Willow and didn’t see it.

Wilkins got Lilah’s attention, letting Spike escape her embrace. "Lilah, dear, are you ready to take up your duties again?"

She turned to him. "Of course, Richard. I’m really excited to be getting back to work."

"That’s swell! I can see what you like about doing the day-to-day business though! It’s so darn much fun! I think I’ll stay and help out with that for a while."

Lilah’s smile wavered for a moment. She didn’t like sharing the reins of power, but he did own 51% of the company. If that’s the way he wanted it there wasn’t a hell of a lot Lilah could say about it. She hoped that he wouldn’t interfere too much.

"Great!" she said, smiling. "It’ll be fun to work with you more often. It’s just so good to be back."

Willow bounced up and down. "Did ya bring us presents!?"

They laughed.

"Of course I did! Everything’s still in my luggage, which I haven’t unpacked yet. I’ll have something nice for each of you tomorrow." She winked at Spike.

‘Oh shit...I didn’t like the way she just looked at me. I’m going to have to tell her sooner rather than later. It won’t be so bad...Yeah...she’ll understand. Lilah’s cool.’ Spike tried calming himself.


A short time later, calmness was impossible when he received a message from Jonathan that Lilah wanted to see him in her office right away.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Spike walked in, wearing a false, carefree smile.

"Lilah!" Spike grinned, entering her office. "Good to have you back. How was your trip?"

"It was great, just what I needed to decompress and relax. It’s so good to be back! I’m sorry I didn’t call you much."

"Oh, that’s alright. We were so busy here..."

"Yes you were! You made dozens of movies while I was away," she laughed. "And what a surprise Buffy has turned out to be. The girl’s got talent, even more than I thought she had. I’m glad Richard went ahead and did the ‘Vampire Layer’ movie with her. We have another movie in mind for a sequel."

"Cool. Buffy’s great, a real natural talent," Spike agreed with a smile.

"Ah," Lilah sat down on the couch and sighed. "That vacation made me too soft. Only one day back and I’m exhausted."

They laughed. Spike more nervously.

"Sit down, Spike. Relax." Lilah patted the couch next to her.

Spike swallowed with difficulty and sat down.

"Oh, congratulations on your writing! I thought you did a fabulous job!"

Spike grinned, distracted for a moment from being a nervous wreck. "Thanks. It's not serious writing, but it's fun. The Mayor was really good to give me a chance."

"Richard's got good instincts. He's the best at what he does, besides me, of course. I can't wait to get my hands back into everything. I like relaxing and having fun, but working is what really puts the hitch in
my giddy-up," Lilah laughed.

Spike nodded, starting to feel nervous again.

"I’ve got another film you might be interested in doing, honey." Lilah picked up a script from the side table then dropped it in his lap.

He picked it up and read the title, 'Head of the Class'?"

Lilah smiled and stretched her legs out. "It's a teacher/student flick. You'll play a naughty student. We haven't cast the part of your female teacher yet...I may come out of retirement for that."

She giggled, leaned over and put her arms around Spike's neck. He gulped.

"Give Mama some sugar, baby. I missed you so baaaaad," she said huskily.

She mashed their lips together, kissing him hard.

Spike made a "MMMMPH!" noise and pushed her away. He scrambled back from her on the couch.

"What's wrong with you?" Lilah demanded. "I've been gone all this time, I want to fuck. You don't want it?"

"Lilah...it's...I'm sorry." Spike stood up and began pacing. "I can't be with you like that anymore."

This is the conversation that he'd been dreading. He'd fretted over this particular discussion ever since he knew that he was falling for Buffy. He didn't know if Lilah would be cool about it, or if she'd get angry. He was about to find out...

"What? Why?"

"I...met someone. I have a girlfriend. She doesn't mind if--"

"A girlfriend?" Lilah's eyes narrowed. "When did this happen?"

Spike steeled himself. "A few months ago. I really like her. I‘m in love with her as a matter of fact. So...sex with other people is off-limits from now on."

Lilah sat back, crossing her arms, her posture rigid. Her face showed her annoyance and barely contained anger. She felt like she'd been punched in the stomach. How could he want someone else? Why not her? She knew she shouldn't have stayed away so long! Bad boys tended to stray if you didn't keep them in line. Hadn't she shown him a good time, repeatedly? Hadn't she done everything in her power to make his life better? He was rejecting her!?!

"Well, what about your films? You fuck a different women in each one. Your girlfriend doesn't mind you doing that?" she said condescendingly.

"No, she understands about that. Work is work. Unless we both are there and agree to it, we don't have sex with anyone else."

"Isn't that just dandy? You have it all worked out?"

"Lilah, please...don't be offended. I care about you, I really do. But Buffy is--"

"Buffy?! Buffy Summers? She's the girlfriend?"

"Y-Yes."

"Son of a bitch! I hired that girl! She repays me by stealing my man?" Lilah fumed.

"Your...man? What are you talking about? I'm one of the many men you bed on a regular basis. We never had anything close to an exclusive relationship!" Spike was shocked by her attitude. He'd expected some hurt feelings, but he didn't know that she considered him hers.

Lilah's indignation and damaged ego fueled her tirade, "Make no mistake, Spike...You ARE mine. I own you--lock, stock and fucking barrel! Where would you be right now without me? Huh? Nowhere, that's where. You and Xander would still be living in that shit-hole of a motel. I gave you everything: Your new look, new clothes, a place to live, fame, my body--This is how you show your gratitude?!" she lashed out and threw the script across the room.

"Lilah, you can't be serious? I'm insanely grateful for everything you've done! You know that! I'm very fond of you. But I don't feel that way about you. Please, don't be this way," he begged. The conversation
was taking the turn that a few of his nightmares about it had.

"No. I told you, you're mine." Lilah re-crossed her arms and leveled her gaze at him. "And nobody takes what's mine. Nobody. When I'm done playing with you, she can have you. But not before then."

Spike looked at her in astonishment, shaking his head slowly. "Why are you saying these things? What's the matter with you? You've always been so good to me before."

"Yes, I have. You'd do well to remember how good I've been to you. But don't cross me, William. I'm a bitch from Hell if you cross me."

"I don't want you! Okay?! I'm sorry, but that's the way it is!"

"Too bad."

"What? What the bloody fuck do you mean 'too bad'? If I don't want you, how do you plan on forcing me?"

Lilah smiled evilly. "I have a few ideas."

"Lilah..." Spike tried to remain calm and not scream at her like he wanted to. He needed to appeal to her sense of reason. "You're beautiful, intelligent and successful. You can have any man you want. Why would you want someone who doesn't want you back?"

"It's true. I can have anyone I want. I want you. End of story."

"No! It's not the end of the story! I want Buffy. I'm in love with her! NOT you. There's nothing you can say or do to make me change my mind." He turned to leave in a huff.

Lilah's face colored with anger. "Really? Nothing? How about if I fire your little whore?"

Spike snorted. "She could get hired by another studio in a snap. Haven't you heard how the audiences adore her?"

"Okay...what about that nice, suburban, wholesome, little family of hers? Do they know her shameful secret?"

"You wouldn't?" Spike's jaw dropped, his face paled.

"Wouldn't I? Just you try me, baby."

Spike could tell that Lilah meant every word. He shook his head in disbelief. "I can't believe that you're doing this..."

"Believe it, honey. What'll it be?"

Spike just stared at her.

"I'm waiting for an answer," Lilah said impatiently.

In a quiet, defeated voice, he asked, "How can you ask me not to be with her? I thought you cared about me?"

She sighed. "Spike, darling, I do care about you. I'm crazy about you! But like I said, you're mine. You're the best lover I've ever had, and that's saying a LOT. I'm not giving you up--And I'm not letting you walk
away. End. Of. Story."

"So...you'll continue to sleep with anyone, and everyone, that you want...and I'll be at your beck and call 24 hours a day--until you're done with me. Does that about sum it up?" He felt sick.

"Spike, you can still fuck whoever you want, male or female. Just no girlfriends. See? It's not all that bad. But I don't want you seeing Buffy outside of work anymore," Lilah said tiredly--being enraged used
up a lot of energy.

"Don't do this...Please, Lilah..."

"It wouldn't have worked with Buffy anyway. In a month or two, she would've been leaving you for someone else, or you would have moved on to the next starlet. That‘s the way it goes in this business."

"Then why are you threatening me--blackmailing me--to stop seeing her? If it would have ended quickly without your help?"

"I have my reasons. Now, you tell her it's over."

"I quit. I'm leaving. I'm not working for you one second longer!"

"I don't think so, honey. You signed an iron-clad, 4-year contract. You aren't going anywhere."

His jaw worked silently. "Then I'm breaking the contract. I‘ll have my agent call you."

"That's not smart, Spike. Don't let the little head think for the bigger one. If you break the contract, then Horizons Entertainment will be forced to sue you for breach of contract. That means going to court. That
means that it will be very public. I believe there are people that you'd rather be left in the dark about your movie career as well? Oh, and tell Xander that the same goes for him. No girlfriends--He's mine too."

Spike startled her by turning quickly and punching the wall. He held his smarting fist to his chest with his back to her.

"I'll never forgive you for this," he said, then exited her office.

Lilah shook her head. Spike would change his tune with time, he just needed Lilah to butter him up a little (literally and figuratively).

The nerve of that Buffy! That little bitch. She didn’t care how popular Buffy became, Lilah wouldn’t put up with her taking Spike’s attention away from her. No man could satisfy her sexual appetite like the sexy Brit could; she wouldn't be giving that up without a fight.

Lilah was a tough, no-nonsense kind of woman, but her heart had been a good one. Now there was a dark patch on her soul that she may not be able to erase. She shrugged off her fears at what kind of monster she'd become--'How could I threaten him like that? How could I threaten to hurt Buffy like that? She's a good kid, she doesn't deserve this!'--She worked at convincing herself, with great effort, that she'd responded correctly.

Inside of Lilah, there was that too-tall-for-her-age, thin, pimply girl with braces that her peers had snickered at, the girl who never got what she wanted. A long time ago, she'd sworn that she'd show everyone who'd ever slighted or overlooked her, she'd become a success. And she had. Lilah was rich and powerful. She had blossomed into a very beautiful woman, with a figure that most women would kill for. She could have whatever and whoever she wanted.

But now a man that she'd thought would be endlessly devoted to her, begging for her favors and attention, was choosing someone else. Just like back in the old days, Lilah got the fuzzy end of the lollipop. It hurt. It hurt so much that she was striking back, making them all hurt too, the only way that she could.

Misery loves company.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Spike took a deep, shaking breath and knocked on Buffy's dressing room door.

"Come in," she called from within.

He entered and shut the door behind him.

Buffy smiled, looking at him in the mirror as she brushed her hair. "Hi there, cutie."

"Hi," Spike said, numbly.

She could see that something was wrong. His face was drawn and pale. She turned around to face him.

"Spike, what is it?" Her heart thumped loudly in her ears.

He looked at her for a few beats. He couldn't tell Buffy the real reason; it would upset her too much to know that Lilah was holding telling her family that she was a porn star over them.

"Buffy...we can't be together...just for a little while."

It was like a sharp blow to her kidneys--Completely unexpected and painful. Her brows immediately met over her nose.

"Wh-Why? I thought...I thought you liked being with me...I thought you loved me?" Her chin trembled.

"I do. I love you so much, and I want to be with you--"

"Then what's the problem? Why are you saying this?" she asked in confusion.

Spike looked down and away from her. "Lilah," he mumbled.

"What about her?"

Spike took a few moments to think of how to put it. "She doesn't want me seeing you."

Buffy's brow creased further. "Why should she have a say in who you choose to date? Just because you're her employee? That's bullshit!"

"It's more...complicated than that."

Spike regretted not telling her about the torrid affair that he (and Xander) had been having with their boss since the beginning. Now it might seem like he'd been keeping it from her purposely.

Buffy sat up, crossed her arms and looked at him grimly, appearing eerily similar to the way Lilah had looked not 10 minutes ago. "Well, why don't you explain it to me then? Look at me, Spike!"

Reluctantly, he turned to meet her eyes again. She looked so upset and confused, just like he was.

"Okay...Lilah and I...we...had a kind of relationship--a purely physical one--since I started working at the studio."

Buffy eyed him with suspicion, but stayed quiet for the moment.

Spike continued, wanting to get it all out, "She gave me and Xan acting jobs, she got us the house, she's done so much for us--"

"Yeah, I'll bet! Please, do go on." Buffy scowled.

Spike took a deep breath. "We didn't have an exclusive thing! I know that Lilah has other lovers besides me and Xander. I had no idea she'd object to us wanting to be with someone."

"So...what's the story? Lilah told you that you couldn't see me? And you're doing what she ordered?"

"That's...That's the crux," Spike swallowed hard. He grabbed her hand and held it with both of his, he looked pleadingly into her eyes. He ignored the pain in his hand from when he'd smashed it into the wall earlier. "I just have to figure out what to do, Buffy, I just need time. I want to be with you! That's what I want most in this world. I have to think of a way out of this so that nobody gets hurt."

Buffy wrenched her hand free of his and stood up. She looked down on him with a sneer and tear-filled eyes. "Don't bother. I'll make it easier for you--go to Hell!"

She started walking to the door. Spike's face fell. He jumped up in a panic and took her by the arm.

"Buffy--pet--please! Just give me some time!"

Buffy pushed him away from her, he stumbled back a few steps.

"Stop with that 'pet' shit! I'm giving you all the time in the world! I'll still work if you if I have to, but I want nothing to do with you outside of work. I can't believe you're dumping me for her! After everything I
thought we meant to each other!"

"I'm not choosing her! If I had a choice, it'd be you!"

"Bullshit! You always have a choice! Don't touch me ever again!"

Her heart felt like it had been ripped out of her chest, thrown to the ground and crushed under his bootheel. She wanted to make him hurt too, if it were possible. This was just some kind of ploy to keep her while he did whoever (or whatever) he liked. She'd fallen for another man's routine--Only this time she'd really fallen for it, and him. It was Parker to the Nth degree.

"Pet, don't say that, please! I haven't been with Lilah since I've been with you! I want you--not her--not anyone else. Please believe me!"

"If you call me 'pet' one more fucking time...I don't care, Spike! Go to Lilah. She obviously wants you, I don't anymore." Buffy tossed her hair over her shoulder, trying to appear haughty and as unaffected as
possible.

Spike felt like all the strength was leaving his body. He felt more like his old-self right now than he had in months--weak, anxious and needy.

"You d-don't? Don't say that...How can you say that?"

"Because it's true," she lied. "You helped me out and you were great in bed. I had a good time. But it's over now. Move on, I know I will. Or should I say, you can go back to Lilah now. You think you can string me along with this, "she did an uncomplimentary imitation of his voice, "'I need time, Buffy' shit while you carry on with her? Fuck that, and fuck you! You laid out the ground rules when we started seeing each other--and you broke them!"

"I don't want Lilah! I care about her but I don't love her. I love you!" He gulped and looked back into her eyes intensely. "Buffy...I love you. Please...just give me a chance to--"

Buffy had been transfixed by his cobalt-blue gaze at first. Then she got a hold of herself and interrupted him, "Bull-fucking-shit!" she spit. "If you really loved me, you'd have the balls to tell Lilah to sod off--and
that you can date whoever you want!"

"I DO love you! I told you, I just don't--want anyone to get hurt here, Buffy! You don‘t understand!" His voice rose and his face screwed up in frustration.

"I bet you've been having sex with her all along!" Buffy accused him.

"No! I swear! I haven't touched Lilah since you and I were first together! And she's been in Europe, it isn't even possible that I could have been with her."

"Ha! So you would've been fucking her given the opportunity?"

"No! Damn it--Please listen! I--"

"I'm not playing, Spike. I'm sick and FUCKING tired of guys lying to me and playing games! You and Lilah can play your weird little mind games with each other. But I'm OUT of it!" She backed away from him, her face angry and hurt. "Don't try to talk to me unless we're working together."

"Buffy, please! I'm not lying--Don't--" he tried to take her by the arms, but she shoved him away again.

"GoodBYE, Spike," Buffy growled and snatched her purse up off the chair, "I'll be sure and be gone by the time you get home. I wouldn't want your girlfriend to get the wrong idea."

"Buffy, Lilah's not my girlfriend! I love--"

Buffy interrupted him again, "Shut up! I don’t want to hear any more! Everything you say is fucked! If you really loved me, you wouldn't let her separate us! I hate you for this!" She walked out of her
dressing room and slammed the door.

Spike made a move to pursue her, but stopped. It was useless. She wouldn't listen to him. She looked like she hated him now...she'd even said it.

He couldn't blame her. He hated himself too. Why couldn't he think of anything? What good was having a genius-level I.Q. and straight A's in school, when you couldn't even think of a plausible explanation for an
impossible situation? His brain could join his heart in the trash for all he cared now.

He moved sluggishly to a chair and dropped down into it. Spike dragged his hands over his face and through his hair. What was he going to do now? He closed his eyes tightly, tears ran slowly down his face. His mind raced with a thousand thoughts and questions, but no answers.

He'd hurt her, when all he'd wanted to do was protect her. Spike knew that she would be upset, but he'd held onto a small, infinitesimal hope that he could still give her an explanation that she could swallow. Just a little time...If he just had time to think of a way around Lilah’s blackmail, he could still be with Buffy. Any chance he’d had of building something with her was shot to hell now. He wouldn't--he couldn't--tell her about the extortion. He didn't want to freak her out with that; Buffy was so frightened about her family finding out that it might send her over the edge.

Spike released a shuddery breath, and leaned his head back against the chair. He allowed himself to cry for a little while before going back to his own dressing room.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Buffy almost broke down when she slammed the door behind her.

Her heart was broken. Yeah, Spike had sex with lots of women, but that was his job. It was different off-camera. Those were the rules that he'd come up with! Lilah was way more pretty than her, she was
also very smart and had an air of sophistication, and a body that Buffy could never compete with. In her mind, she didn't stand a chance of being Spike's 'one and only' as long as Lilah was her competition. If she let it go and accepted his plea to give him time, she could be dangling on the line for months...possibly years. She was so crazy-in love with him that a large part of her wanted to go along with whatever he wanted, go blindly into whatever arrangement he laid out.

That wasn't going to happen. Buffy would NOT let herself be used and abused by a man again. Not even the man that she loved above all others. She'd thought that he was different...She'd thought that they had a spiritual, as well as a physical, connection. She hadn't just thought it, she'd been sure of it.

She'd been a fool. A stupid, stupid fool.

Lilah had seemed so nice. She'd given Buffy a ticket out of that hellhole she had been living in, gave her a job, encouraged her and made her into a star. Boy, had Buffy ever been wrong about her! It seemed that her judgment was waaaaay off when it came to sizing people up.

Buffy wiped at her runny nose as she went to leave the building and go pack up her stuff at Spike's house. She wanted to be out when Spike got home. It'd be too painful to have another argument while she collected her things. She didn't even think of how she was going to get home; Spike had driven her to work like he did everyday.

Buffy bumped into Cordy accidentally; she wasn't paying attention to where she was going.

"Hey!" Cordy said, then turned around. "Buffy? Are you okay?"

"I'm--I'm sorry, Cordy...I have to go." Buffy continued on her way.

Cordelia frowned and followed her.

"Buffy! What happened?" She caught up to her, taking her gently by the shoulders and looking into her eyes.

"Spike...broke up with me--No--I broke up with him actually."

"What? Why? You two are crazy about each other, aren't you? I thought--"

"Yeah, we were. I was...I don't know about him. I thought he...I was wrong...I was all wrong about him. You won't believe what he said. I--I have to go and get my stuff out of his house..."

"Come on," Cordy frowned and put her arm around her rattled friend, "let's get your stuff and you can stay at my place."

Cordy wanted to get to the bottom of this, and fast. Buffy and Spike were in love, she could tell by the way they were with each other, it was almost a physical presence--and of course they said it a lot too. There had to be some kind of misunderstanding.

"Thanks, Cordy." Buffy's face scrunched up as fresh tears fell. "He's such a bastard! I hate him!"

"Shhh, it'll be okay." She hugged Buffy. "Let's go."

Cordelia guided her weeping friend to her car.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Buffy told Cordy what Spike had relayed to her about not seeing each other on Lilah's orders. Cordy couldn't believe the nerve of both Spike and Lilah.

Once Cordy got Buffy calmed down and tucked into bed, she called Xander from the other room to find out what the hell was going on.

After a few rings, he answered. "Hello," Xander's voice was rough.

"Xander, it's me. Did you just get home?"

"Cordy...Yeah...just got home."

"You don't sound good," Cordy said with concern. "Are you upset about what's going on with Spike and Buffy too?"

"Yeah. I have to--"

"What's going on, Xander?"

"It's--"

"Spike is such a fucking bastard! How could he do this to her?"

"It's...not his fault, exactly," Xander said.

"Then who's fault is it? Lilah's? Yeah, she's a total bitch if she really said that, but--"

"What do you mean, 'If she really said that'?" Xander asked.

"I mean, that if all of this isn't some stupid shit that Spike made up to string Buffy along."

"It isn't," Xander was getting more upset. "He's in love with Buffy, he wouldn't hurt her intentionally."

"Whatever. Even is Lilah did say it, if he was really in love with Buffy, he would've been a fucking man and told Lilah off for even suggesting it!"

"Cordy...It's complicated."

"Of course you'd take his side! He broke Buffy's heart, Xander! That stupid prick! I'd like to break his neck!! Did he really say all those things to her? I couldn't believe it when Buffy told me."

"Cordy..."

She didn't like the way his voice sounded at all; like he was about to drop something heavy on her. "Oh...don't tell me...Did you receive the same marching orders as your bleached blonde pal? You have a thing with Lilah too, don't you?" she demanded.

"I love you. Please try to--"

"Oh fuck this!" Cordy yelled. "I don't believe this! You're going to give me the same, lame 'I need time' speech that Spike gave Buffy?"

"You don't understand! Please, baby--"

"Fuck that 'baby' shit! What? Are you and Spike reading from the same script? That's the same shit that he tried to feed Buffy!" She said in a mocking, dumb guy voice, "D'uh--But you don't understand!' I
understand, Xander! You think I need your shit?"

"Don't jump to conclusions! Please...I love y-"

"Well, I DON'T love you! I'm not a small town girl like Buffy. I know the score. You were a good fuck, but nothing more," she lied, wiping tears from her face.

Xander was stunned. "Wh-What? No...you don't mean that."

"Yes, I do. Don't you dare presume to tell me what I mean or don't mean! You're nothing to me. Fuck off, Harris--or Biggs--whatever your name is. I want nothing to do with you anymore. Nobody plays Cordelia Chase. Especially not some brain dead idiot from a hick town like you."

"Cordy, how can--"

"Shut up! Why don't you go fuck Lilah blue? That might perk you up. Go fuck Spike and yourself while you're at it too!"

"Let me finish one fucking sentence!" Xander yelled.

"No, you don't deserve to. I've said all that I need to say. There's nothing left."

"Cordy," he said, on the verge of tears, "God--I wish that I could explain everything!"

"It's crystal clear. You've chosen Lilah. That's fine. But you can go fuck yourself, 'cos I'm not touching your dick ever again!"

"Listen, I'm--"

"Don't try to talk to me unless it's absolutely necessary. I'll knee your nuts through the roof of your mouth if you ever try touching me again outside of the films that I‘m forced to do with you! Fuck off and die, you
creep!"

Cordelia hung up on him, promptly bursting into tears once she released the receiver.

"Cordy?! Don't..." Xander closed his eyes and felt his heart being torn in two at the sound of the dial tone.

He wanted to talk to Spike, to commiserate. But he could hear his friend throwing things around in his bedroom...best not to bother him in the middle of a temper tantrum.

Ever since Spike gave him the terrible news, Xander had been in a state of denial and shock. Lilah couldn't do this to them. She was always good and kind to them. Why would she deny them happiness? Xander had gone straight to Lilah to hear it from her directly. She repeated what she'd told Spike, saying that Xander was included too--He was hers, not Cordelia's. Lilah used the same threat against Buffy if he didn't agree to end his relationship with Cordelia. Xander loved Buffy too--not romantic love, but he did love her. It was impossible, with no way out that he could see.

Spike outright refused to tell Buffy (or Cordy) about the threat.

Xander and Spike were in the same boat, up shit creek without a paddle. The woman that they had adored, and almost worshipped, had turned into a heartless bitch. The girls that they loved, hated them now.

It was head-spinningly, nauseating and disorienting, the way things could suddenly turn to shit.


TBC....