Chapter 2:  The City of Dreams


Buffy arrived in Hollywood and sought out a cheap apartment.  The building was a five-story, walk up rattrap, but it was a roof over her head.  The apartment was really little more than a small room--it would do though.  Beggars couldn't be choosers. She needed to save her money.  The next thing she did was walk the streets looking for work.

A diner called 'Greasy Joe's' had a help wanted sign in the window.

'Obviously not hopping on the healthy California lifestyle bandwagon here...truth in advertising...'

The inside of the place wasn't as nasty as she imagined it would have been.  The floors and surfaces looked clean, the customers included some businessmen types.  There were some scummy looking people, too, but--diversity was of the good...right?

Buffy approached the counter.  A waitress with a beehive hairdo and a nametag that read 'Flo' was ringing up a customer.

"That'll be $8.50, sugar."

'Holy shit--she looks just like that woman from that show  'Alice'...who knows, maybe it is that woman from 'Alice'...If Linda Lavin comes out of the kitchen, I'm outta here.'

"What can I do for you, hon?" Flo asked her.

"Umm--Hi--I saw the help wanted sign in the window.  I'd like to apply for the job."

"Really?  A pretty, young thing like you wanting to waste her time here?"

"I need the money.  I--I want to be an actress," Buffy said, expecting to be derided or laughed at again.

"Oh!  I should've guessed."  Flo cracked her gum and smiled.  "Good for you, sugar.  You chase them dreams."

Buffy smiled gratefully at the waitress.  "Thanks."

"Let me get Joe from the kitchen."  Flo went through the swinging doors into the kitchen area.

Buffy looked around.  The place wasn't too bad.  She could see herself working here--for a little while anyway, just until she got her break.

A burly man with a greasy, white t-shirt came out of the kitchen and stood behind the counter.

"You interested in working here, doll?"  He looked her over, wiping his hands on his apron.

"Yes, sir.  My name's Buffy Summers.  I just got into town and need a job.  I saw the--"

"You're hired," he said.  "Flo will get ya a uniform and tell you what's what."

Buffy blinked.  "Just--like that?  You don't want me to fill out an application or anything?"

"Waste of time.  I need a waitress now, you need work now.  You look like a nice kid.  You want the job or not?"

"I want it!  Yes, thank you Mr.--"

"Just call me Joe.  You can start right away."

Buffy grinned broadly.  Her luck was great so far!  She had a place to sleep and now she had a job to keep her afloat while she went on auditions.  She had a feeling that she'd done the right thing coming here.  Moving to Hollywood was going to prove the best decision she'd ever made--she hoped so, anyway.  She'd eat fire, and she'd walk on broken glass to achieve her dream of being an actress. Nothing could stop her now.

Since the time that Buffy played Daisy the Bumblebee in a 3rd grade play, she knew she wanted to be an actress.  Her parents never approved of that dream.  At first, they'd humored her and said, 'Sure honey, you'll be the bestest little actress in the whole, wide world!'.  When all the while, they were just waiting for her to grow out of it.  Buffy never did.  If anything, she became more determined over the years.

Flo came out of the back with a pink waitress uniform.  "This looks about your size, honey.  You're just a little slip of a thing, ain't ya?"  Flo laughed.  "Let's get you situated."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


William and Xander arrived in town and did the same things as Buffy.  They checked into a motel temporarily, and then looked through the paper for jobs and an apartment.  Xander had saved a few thousand dollars from his various jobs--enough to get them started at least.  William had no money to speak of. Everything he made from doing odd jobs went straight towards his mother's health care.  Xander didn't mind shelling out the cash for both of them.  He understood his friend's predicament and was willing to shoulder the burden for a while.

"Lookee here," Xander said.

He showed William the porn industry newspaper he was leafing through.  William leaned over and read the ad that Xander was pointing to.

"Says here, that a company called 'Horizons Entertainment' is holding a huge casting call for new actors tomorrow starting at noon.  We should go.  Talk about good timing!"

William fidgeted.  The reality of what he'd have to do was making him nervous.

"I suppose it's as good a place to start as any..."

"Having second thoughts?" Xander asked, putting his hand on William's shoulder.

"Yeah...I don't know if I can go through with it..."

"No one's going to force you, man.  Me?  I'm going for it.  Even if they turn me down on the spot--I'm going to give it a go."

William sighed.  He couldn't back out now.  His reticence and fears would have to be put aside.

"I'll go.  Just having some jitters."

"There's my bud."  Xander clapped him on the back.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The next day...

"We don't even have head shots," William said, becoming more nervous the closer they got to actually going in for their 'interviews'.

"Hehehe, head shots..."  Xander giggled.  "Seriously, man, this ain't  MGM or Paramount here...If they turn us away because of it, we'll get some pictures and come back tomorrow."

The woman who'd been calling everyone's names all afternoon said, "Xander Harris.  You're next."

Xander took a deep breath and smiled at William.

"Good luck," William said.

"Thanks--Shit!--I'm nervous!" he laughed, then followed the woman to the room where the head honchos were conducting the interviews.

William tried to calm his nerves while Xander was gone.  There certainly were a lot of people interested in being in porn films.  A few hundred men and women showed up in response to the ad.  The women, for the most part, were bleached blonde with enormous breasts.  The men ranged from elderly looking, to ones that William doubted even had to shave yet.  There weren't very many attractive people, but people didn't tend to look at a person's face when they were bare-assed and fucking on screen--there were other areas of interest that your eyes were drawn to.


After 10 minutes, Xander reappeared.  William stood up, looking at him expectantly.

"Well?  What happened?  How did it go?"

"They said they'd get back to me--it don't look good for the kid..."  Xander grimaced.

"Did they--make you take off your clothes?"

"Yep.  They gotta check out the merchandise, you know?  There's this chick in there--Damn, she's really hot!  She’s the woman from that movie we saw--"

"William Crane.  Follow me," the woman said.

William gasped quietly, his eyes grew wide.

"Go on, man.  You'll do fine.  Good luck," Xander encouraged him with a pat on the back.  He knew that they would hire William on the spot when they got a gander of his body.  At least one of them would get into the business.

William gulped and followed the woman.

He entered the room.  There was a large conference table set up across the room, opposite the door.  Papers and photographs covered the surface.  Two men and one woman sat looking at him.

The woman was beautiful, just as Xander had said.  She had black, shoulder length hair, and a beautifully elegant face.  She looked like she could be Russian nobility.  Something about her seemed familiar to him. Xander had started to say something about a movie they‘d seen her in.  The man sitting in the middle had a sleazy look about him.  He had short dark hair, was wearing dark sunglasses and wore a silk shirt with the first few buttons undone.  Gold chains lay against his extremely hairy chest.  The other man was large and broad shouldered--William recognized him as Angel O'Connor.  Angel had appeared in several adult films that William had seen.  He was the most popular actor at the studio--maybe in the whole industry.

"You're William Crane?" the attractive woman asked.

"Y-Yes, Ma'am."

"I'm Lilah Morgan, I co-own the company with Richard Wilkins.  I also produce the movies.  This is Warren Mears one of our award-winning directors, and Angel O'Connor, our most popular leading man."

Angel blew a kiss to Lilah and winked.  William knew where he'd seen her before now.  She'd done a few adult features as well a few years back.  He blushed as he remembered a few choice pieces of her work.

"Step over here, William."  Lilah gave him a sideways smile.  "We don't bite."

William walked over to the table and stopped in front of it.  He crossed his arms, then uncrossed them.  Crossed arms might be construed as rude or standoffish.  He settled for clasping his hands in front of him.

"Nervous?" Lilah asked.

"Yes...a bit," William confessed with a shaky laugh.

"Try to relax, honey."

"What other work have you done?" Warren asked, leaning back in his chair.

"Uh--I--haven't done this sort of thing before.  I thought no experience was necessary."

"True, but it'd help your chances if you had some experience," Warren explained tiredly then sniffed--William thought the man might have a cold or allergies (a possible coke habit never entered his naive mind).

"I don't have much acting experience--I have done school plays before..."  William kept his stage debut as Eeyore in a 2nd grade production of 'Winnie the Pooh' to himself.

"No headshot?" Angel asked.

"My friend and I only just arrived in town yesterday.  We haven't had the chance to--"

"We'll let you know," Warren said dismissively.

"Oh...okay..." William's shoulders drooped, and he started to leave.  Well, that was a bust.

"Hold on," Lilah said.  "I'm not done talking to him yet."

Warren leaned over to talk to her and gestured at William.  "Look at this guy, Lilah.  He's a nerd.  Nobody would pay to see Urkel get fucked.  He's all wrong."

William looked down.  The guy wasn't even trying to lower his voice--he didn't care if William heard him or not.

"Some people might."  Angel laughed.  "It's a sick, freaky world out there, Warren."

"Thank god for that, but--" Warren said.

"I'm not done with him," Lilah said, ending any further argument.  She called the shots around here.

Warren sucked in his cheeks for a moment. He hated having to cow-tow to this woman, or any woman.  But she held the power and he wasn‘t stupid.  He nodded and made a 'whatever' gesture with his hands.

"William, it says here that you're 19?"  She checked the form he'd submitted.

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Please, call me Lilah."  She smirked.  "19 is good; young, fresh and open-minded.  Take off your clothes."

"Pardon?"  She'd said it so casually he wasn't sure he'd heard her right.

"She said to drop your drawers, Sparky," Warren said.  "We need to see what you're packing before we decide if we can use you."

"Oh--alright."  William tried to hide the nervousness and shyness he was feeling.

"The shirt too," Lilah added.

He took off his t-shirt and set it on a nearby stool.

"Sometime this year," Angel said.  "We've still got a lot of people to see after you."

"S-Sorry," William apologized and quickly undid his pants then lowered them to his knees.  "Do you need me to be--completely naked?"

The three at the table sat up straighter and leaned forward, staring at his groin.  Lilah licked her lips, her smile growing exponentially.  Warren swallowed hard, raised his eyebrows, and nodded in appreciation.  Angel looked suitably impressed too--he blinked rapidly.

"What did you say?" Lilah asked, her eyes fixed on his nakedness.

"Do I have to take my pants all the way off or--is this alright?"  A blush began at his neck and crept its way up, until his face was flaming.  Nobody had ever scrutinized him naked like this before--not even his doctor!  It was highly uncomfortable to be stared at while flapping in the breeze.

"Oh, this will do just fine..."  Lilah smiled wider.  "Turn around for us, please."

William turned, putting his back to them.

"You must work out a lot," Lilah commented.  "Very nice buns and back.  Torso is nicely muscled, love the six pack and pecs, good arms, good thighs..."

"I like to keep fit," William said, swallowing.

"It shows, honey.  Okay, you can put your clothes back on."

William gratefully pulled his pants back up then turned back to face them.

"You're hired," Lilah said, not having to discuss it with the others.

"I am?"  William grinned.  "That's--wonderful!  Thank you!"

"I have a feeling, a real good feeling about you, sweetie," Lilah said.  She took a business card and held it out for him.  "I want you to call me Friday at noon.  I'll set up an appointment for you at our preferred salon for your makeover."

William took the card.  "Makeover?"

"How attached are you to your hairstyle?  Would you object to having it cut and re-styled?"

"No--That'd be fine..."

"And the glasses.  They're cute--maybe we can use that look in a movie for you.  But I'd like to get you some contact lenses."

"Okay..."  William put his shirt back on.

"Is that a scar on your left eyebrow?" she asked.  "How did you get it?"  Lilah looked more closely at the scar, it provided him (or would provide, once she changed his appearance a bit) with a more rugged quality.

"I...uh...it's from a playground accident when I was 6."  William touched the scar absently.  "I slipped on a swing and the chain was a bit rusty."

"We'll say you got it in a bar fight...with a jealous husband perhaps.  Sounds better.  I look forward to working with you, William," Lilah said, the tone of her voice suggested she planned on 'working' with him quite closely.

"Um--my friend, Xander Harris, was in here right before me.  Are you going to hire him as well?"  William asked.

"Oh, the hunky brunette?" Lilah asked.  William nodded.  "We hadn't decided on him yet."

"Guys like him are a dime a dozen."  Warren stuck his fingers under his sunglasses and rubbed his eyes.

"Well...could you hire him too?  I don't want to work for you if he isn't working here too.  We came here together."

Warren took off his dark sunglasses.  He looked at William with bloodshot, disbelieving eyes.  "You making demands already, kid?"

"No, no sir.  I just--Xander's wanted to do these movies for a lot longer than I have.  It doesn't seem fair if I get a place with your studio and he doesn't."

"Of all the--Who the hell do you think you are!?" Warren said irritably.

"Warren,"  Lilah cut him off.  She looked at him, staring him down and yet again, showing him who was in charge.  She smiled graciously at William.  "I've got to admire your balls, William."  Her eyes twinkled.  'Maybe later...'  she thought.  "Deal.  You can tell Mr. Harris that he's hired too.  He can come along and get a makeover as well."

"Oh, thank you, Miss Mor- Lilah!  Xander’s going to be chuffed to bits!"

Lilah laughed.  "You're so cute!  Go on, honey.  I'll expect your call on Friday."

"Thank you all," William said courteously, although Lilah was the one who had made all the decisions.  "You won't regret this!"

He turned and walked quickly out of the room.

"You sure about this?" Angel asked her.

"Yes."

"What about the other one?  Why did you let him make a demand like that?  He‘s a wet behind the ears, snot-nosed kid!" Warren asked.

"I liked Xander too.  Good hair, big brown eyes, great smile...His body was bulky, but with some good musculature.  I think he'll be a good addition to our little family.  But that William," Lilah smiled, "he could be the next John Holmes--but hopefully without all the problems John had later on...I haven't seen a guy that good-looking and with a cock like that in a looong time."

"Yeah, I have to admit...he is hung like a bear.  You have to do something about his look though," Warren said, already imagining how he'd set up shots to highlight the Brit's huge tool.

"No problem.  A haircut, contacts, better clothes--I can do wonders with that one," Lilah said, chewing on a manicured fingernail.

"We'll see..." Angel said.

Angel crossed his arms, trying not to pout.  He was no slouch at 7 inches--but William put him (and every other actor at the studio) to shame.  There was a good chance that Angel could be knocked down a peg or two--and he didn't like that one bit.  He could only hope that William wouldn't be able to perform well under pressure.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


William raced back to Xander.

"You got it?!"  Xander could tell by the big smile on William's face what the answer would be.

"Yes!  We're both in!  We have to call Miss Morgan on Friday--she's going to get us makeovers, whatever that means.  But--we're in!"

Xander shouted in triumph.  He got William in a bear hug and lifted him off the ground.

"YES!  We did it!  We're gonna be stars!"  Xander laughed, jumping up and down.  He knew that William had probably requested that Xander be hired too.   "Thanks, man!"

"You--don't have to thank me.  You could let me go so that I can breathe again though," William wheezed.

"Sorry."  Xander smiled and released his friend.  "But I do have to thank you.  They weren't going to hire me a few minutes ago.  The big man came through for the Xan-Man!"

William chuckled.  "We're a package deal--they don't want you, they don't want me.  But Miss Morgan said she liked you.  I think it was the other two who were hesitant."

"Did you get a load of that Warren guy?  1970's much?  The gold chains and open shirt look went out with the pet rock and rainbow suspenders."

They shared a giddy laugh.

"Let's get back to the hotel.  Maybe get some Thai food to celebrate," William suggested.

"Lead on, MacDuff."  Xander put his hand on William's shoulder.

"That's 'Lay on, MacDuff'.  And Macbeth killed him after he said that--not a good thing."

"Whatever, Shakespeare boy.  I mangle popular words and phrases. It's what I do."  Xander shrugged.  "Let's just get out of here before they tell us they changed their minds!  Wheeee!"

Xander jumped on William's back, making the smaller man stumble forward.

William laughed, "Bloody hell, Xan!  You weigh a ton--it's straight to the gym with you, floppy boy!"

"I'll have you know that I have the body of a taut, pre-teen Swedish boy!  It's just my enormous talent and potential weighing me down."

William carried his bulkier friend out of the building.

The other would-be porn actors looked at them resentfully.