Willow dropped her text books on the research table with a profound sigh of relief, having found the sheer number of volumes she had insisted on carrying far too much for her slight frame. And she had aching arms to prove it.

"Is school over with already?" Giles asked walking out of his office, not even bothering to remove his nose from the book he had gripped in his hands.

a/n-thank you so much for all the reviews!
8.

"Already?" Xander complained, throwing himself into one of the chairs. "It's been the day without infernal end, and you have the nerve,the gall, the very gumption to say 'already'?"

Giles ignored him, which surprised no one.

Chewing her bottom lip, Willow decided to voice her lingering concerns. "Giles... do you know what is bothering Buffy?"

Attention now properly diverted, Giles's head snapped up from his book. "Why on earth do you think there is something amiss with Buffy"

Willow played with a loose thread on the sleeve of her fluffy, green sweater. "Well, uh, because she's not acting like our Buffy. You know... with the usual perky goodness goodness and everything."

"I'll say," Xander agreed, then his eyes bulged from his head as he thought of something. "You don't think she's been possessed or something do you? Because demon possession? So not of the good."

"Really Xander, don't be ridiculous," Giles scolded, his brows settling into a firm line. "She appears right as rain to me. In fact, she hasn't even quarreled with me over patrolling duties or.... Oh good lord. How could I have missed this?"

Willow nodded in sympathy at the stricken look on Giles' face. "Yep. She's been all bummed out Buffy ever since she got back from visiting her dad in LA."

"Has it been that long?" Giles asked, pushing his glasses securely onto the bridge of his nose. "That was two weeks ago, if I remember correctly?"

Willow nodded. "I wonder if something happened down there."

Giles' brow furrowed just a fraction more. "I haven't the foggiest. My reports haven't indicated any unusual occurrences in Los Angeles. Well, aside from an increase in territorial issues, so I am inclined to believe it wasn't anything demon related. Besides, I do believe she would have informed me if it had been such. If anything, demon activity is at a low, which is an oddity in itself. Could she possibly be having issues with...er, Angel?"

"Not that I know. She is being all avoidy Buffy, and won't talk to me. I mean, I'm only her best friend," Willow uttered in a slightly hurt voice. "Maybe it's just the whole slaying gig that is getting her down. Or hey! Maybe it's because her dad is finally moving on and has a girlfriend now. That has to be weird."

"Yes, well, I shall talk to her and ask her what has her distracted."

"Not sure if that's the way to go, G-Man. You know how Buffy is," Xander pointed out.

"What would you suggest then?" Giles knew he had sunk to an all time low when he was seeking advice from Xander.

"Well, we're doing the whole Bronzing thing tonight. Maybe she just needs a nice slay-free evening," Xander commented, actually surprising Giles with his insight. "With her Watcher there in a un-Watcherly role."

"Yes, well, I shall take that into consideration." Giles grimaced as he realized that he would most likely be spending the evening at the Bronze.

**********

Buffy found herself getting ready that night with little enthusiasm. Sitting at home in full mope-mode was sounding better and better, but not something she knew she could get away with. She'd gotten a load of Willow's resolve face, knowing she'd be bad friend Buffy if she flaked out.

She hated being in mope mode. Because feeling all gloomy because she got the brush off from a vampire? Well, a DIFFERENT vampire? Buffy couldn't really see her friends getting a handle on that one.

She stood in front of her open closet as she perused its jumbled contents. What to wear.... Figuring she had better make an effort with her appearance, she grabbed one of her better outfits, not even realizing the significance of pairing a black leather mini with a blood-red, filmy see-through blouse, and a black crop top underneath. Her knee high ass-kicking boots completed her ensemble, giving her a decidedly 'Big Bad' look. Sweeping her hair up into an easy French twist, she was ready to go.

Her mood had not improved on the way to the Bronze. Having told her mother her evening plans, she'd had to endure the pained looks, the face filled with distrust and finally bore the "Buffy, please try not to get into any trouble. I worry about you."

Please. 'I'm not a trouble maker!!', she wanted to shout.

'But you want to be...' the little voice decided to speak up in her ear.

Ok fine, yes, she did. And it made her do things like... calling Rebel Yell to talk to Spike. Of course she was such a badass chickenshit, she wound up slamming the phone down with a burst of nervous adrenaline every time someone answered the phone. Her mom was so going to wig when she saw the next phone bill. That's how bad she was.

Buffy wasn't aware of the scowl that had settled on her face when she met up with her friends in front of the Bronze.

"Hey Buff... what's with the bad moodies?" Xander asked, not so discreetly checking her out, deciding his friend look pretty hot.

"Huh?" Buffy asked, her eyes blinking as she was drawn out of her inner turmoil.

"You're all with the sad face," Willow told her.

"Oh, sorry. Kinda got into it with my mom before I left," Buffy answered somewhat truthfully.

They walked in after paying their cover charges and Buffy was hit with a sense of nostalgia. It suddenly occurred to her that Spike had his club modeled after the Bronze. What was up with that?

Finding their usual table free and unoccupied, Xander left the two girls to go secure beverages before the line got any longer.

"So...how are you doing, Buffy?" Willow asked.

"Me? Oh, I'm all with the good, " Buffy brazened out, playing with a cocktail napkin that was left on the table. "That's me. Good Girl Buffy." A snort escaped her at that statement that had Willow puzzled.

"Is Angel coming tonight?"

Buffy shrugged, her attention focused on the napkin she was shredding. "Dunno. Didn't get a chance to talk to him."

"Did something happen in LA?" Willow asked with a rush.

Buffy's head jerked up. "What? No," she immediately protested. "Ok well, my dad found out I was the Slayer, that was kind of a big."

"WHAT?" Willow exclaimed, hurt that Buffy hadn't shared this before now. "What happened?"

"Vamp attack. Couldn't exactly hide it when Buffy made vamp go poof, you know?" she answered, more or less speaking the truth.

"Did he totally wig? Does your mom know?"

"Oh he was all about the wiggage, let me tell you. And no, mom doesn't know yet. We're waiting to tell her."

"But this is good, right?" Willow asked, trying to figure out why Buffy hadn't disclosed this before and how it fit in with the Distractro girl routine.

"Yeah, it is." Buffy allowed a short bittersweet smile to grace her lips before shrugging off her morosity. She looked up perkily as Xander approached with drinks in hand.

"Hey check it out, drinks are half price tonight," Xander commented while setting down the glasses. "Diet coke for the Buffster, ShirleyTemple for Wills, and for myself... the manly rootbeer."

"Wow. Half price? What's the occasion?" Willow asked, taking a sip of her drink.

"I think The Bronze is under new ownership or something. Wasn't big on the why, just wanted to know for 'how long,' " Xander replied, eyeing Giles trudging his way uncomfortably through the crowd.

"Good evening," the Watcher greeted upon arriving at their table, looking his version of casual after trading in his usual tweed for a bulky sweater.

Buffy looked up at him with little surprise. "Ok, what needs to be killed?"

Giles looked slightly startled. "Pardon me? Oh, why, nothing, as a matter of fact. I just thought perhaps I would join you."

A suspicious spark was lit and Buffy narrowed her eyes. "Alright, what's going on?"

Giles and Xander looked hopelessly at Willow. The redhead slipped her resolve face firmly in place and replied, "Nothing is going on. Well, not in a going on sense. We just, uh, thought some bonding time might be of the good. Thought maybe it was lacking a little lately."

Buffy raised her eyebrows. "So you asked Giles to the Bronze?" She noticed the looks that they passed each other and sighed inwardly. They were trying... the least she could do is make the same effort.

"Yeah, well it's a good night for him to be here. Hey Giles, drink are half price at the bar."

A small glimmer of hope creased his face. "Half price, you say?" Without waiting for a reply, Giles was on his feet and heading for the bar, thankful that at least something was going his way tonight. The loud, crowded atmosphere of the Bronze was not his cup of tea in the slightest, and the live music hadn't even begun yet. Giles could only hope they had some grasp of the complexities of music, not sure he could stand to listen to truly bad artists.

Giles found a line at the bar and wondered if his night could get any worse.

tbc

Predicatable? Oh yes. But hey, it's fun, right? So what song should Spike open with? Oops, did I just spoil the next chapter? Like you didn't know that wasn't coming....