The ringing of the phone on her nightstand woke Buffy from her slumber. She mumbled and reached over to pick up the receiver. She looked at the clock, it read 10:06 am.

“Hello?” she said sleepily.

“Hi, honey. It’s Mom,” Joyce said.

“Mom? Is everything okay?” Buffy came instantly awake and sat up.

“Everything’s fine! I’m just checking to see how you’re doing.”

“Oh.” She relaxed. “I’m doing great.”

She looked at Spike’s sleeping form next to her with a saucy smile. He was so unbelievably gorgeous. His long thick eyelashes, his adorable, spiky bed hair, the faint smile on his lips even while he was asleep, all of it made her heart expand and soar. He was hers, and she was his. No one ever ‘got’ her like he did. He loved her warts and all (figuratively speaking), the bad and the good. She knew that he loved her without conditions.

“I was thinking of coming home soon,” Joyce said.

“Mom, I told you, I don’t want you and Dawn to be in danger.”

“Honey...I know how you feel, but Sunnydale is my home. I miss you. I miss my house. I miss my own bed! And it’s not in our blood to run and hide. We Summers women are tough as nails. We don‘t run, we fight.”

“That’s true...” Buffy admitted.

Spike opened his eyes and stretched, after a wide yawn, he smiled happily at her and gave her a soft kiss on the bicep. She grinned and cupped his face in her hand, stroking his cheekbone with her thumb.

“Good Morning,” she mouthed to him.

“The best morning,” he mouthed back.

“So, Dawnie and I will be coming back in a few days. Whatever happens, I want us all to be together,” Joyce said, her mind was made up.

“Okay. But I still would rather have you out of harm’s way.”

Spike interlaced his fingers with hers and brought her hand to his mouth, placing a chaste kiss on the back of it.

“Don’t worry. We’ll get through this, Buffy. We’re stronger together than we are apart,” Joyce said.

“Yeah,” Buffy agreed with a smile, looking into Spike’s eyes. “We are stronger together.”

“I love you, Buffy,” Joyce said.

“I love you too. Call me when you find out what flight you’ll be on.”

“’kay, honey. Bye.”

“Bye, Mom.”

She hung up the phone and immediately dived into her lover’s arms, kissing him soundly.

“Mornin’, luv. I could get used to this.” He smiled, stroking her back. “Your mum and Bite Size coming home?”

“Yeah...I’m worried about them, Spike. What if I can’t protect them?”

“You will -- we will.” He kissed her forehead. “Nobody’s gonna get near Joyce or Dawn while I still draw breath. Uh...well, you know what I mean.”

She smiled and nuzzled his neck. “I really do love you, you know.”

Buffy knew he was deadly serious about protecting her family with his life. It made her feel warm inside and not as alone in her sacred duty anymore. She had a partner who would be with her until the bitter end. She could count on him.

“I know, pet.” Spike smiled euphorically and hugged Buffy against him, placing a kiss to her temple. “I know.”


THE END