Ch. 2: On the Road

“So, how’d you do on that last essay you were worrying about? I recall a certain blonde staying up very late trying to finish on time. Was it worth not going to the movies with me?” Spike asked, trying to keep conversation while maneuvering his way through the thunderstorm.

“I don’t know. I wish I didn’t have such a difficult time with writing. You always make it seem so easy. Maybe I should’ve taken you up on that offer to read over my work. But I just am so paranoid about having people read my work.” Buffy propped her feet up on the dashboard and curled into her seat. “And you better feel special that I’m staying awake for this drive.”

“Oh, I appreciate it, for the fiftieth time. And get your feet off the dash. If something ever happened, your legs would just break in half, you know.”

“Such pleasant thoughts. No wonder you’re such a ladies’ man.” Buffy lowered her legs to the ground. “I can barely see through all this rain. How can you see anything?”

Buffy peered out the window into the darkness. Suddenly, the car hit something and Spike swerved to the right.

Screeching brakes. Screaming Buffy. Dull thud. Air bag popping. Nothing.

--

“Buffy, are you okay? Please be okay, baby. Luv, open your eyes for me.” Spike gently shook Buffy’s shoulder, waiting for her to come to. They had just skidded off the road, and though most of the damage had been to the car, Buffy still hadn’t opened her eyes.

“Wha—huh? What happened? Is everything okay? Are you okay? What happened?” Buffy looked confused, scrunching her nose up and trying to figure out what had taken place. They had been chatting about random things, and then…?

“We hit something and skidded off the road. Are you okay? Nothing hurts? You look like you’re just a little surprised, maybe?” Spike hoped she had just been shaken up. He hated to think she might be in pain, even for a moment.

“No, I think I was just shocked and shaken up. You?” Buffy reached over and felt his arm, her face revealing her mutual concern for his well-being.

“I’m fine. I’m going out to check the damage. You stay here, okay?”

“Okay. Don’t stay out there too long, okay?” Buffy watched Spike as he got out of the car and immediately became drenched in the downpour. She undid her seatbelt and stretched her body out a bit, and opened the door a crack to air out the airbag odors. Reaching into her bag, she pulled out her cell phone in hopes of calling her parents to tell them what had happened and figure out what to do. Unfortunately, the back woods road wasn’t very nice to cell phones, and she wasn’t getting any kind of signal. Great, she thought to herself. Of course this road doesn’t have good service. She and Spike had been driving this road from the city to their little town in upstate New York for the past three years ever since they had started college, and this was the first time they had ever gotten into an accident—which was quite lucky since they had never been able to use their cell phones on this road and had often thought about the unluckiness of people they had often seen walking down the highway in search of civilization. It looked like they were about to become those people.

The car door quickly opened and shut, leaving a soaked Spike to slosh around in the driver’s seat. “It doesn’t look good, luv. Whatever we hit gave us a flat tire, and the air bags make it impossible for us to drive anywhere. And from the look on your face, we’re out of luck with the cell phone. It looks like we’re gonna have to hoof it.”

“Yeah, I was just thinking that. Just our luck to get into an accident the day it pours buckets on our heads. Why couldn’t this have happened last month when we were coming down and the evening was perfect?” Buffy pouted, thinking about how the rain was going to ruin her new boots.

“You know, we’re lucky to be alive. And I’ll buy you a new pair of shoes in celebration of our wonderful life. That make you feel better?” Spike smirked, knowing she was bemoaning the fate of her shoes. In the years that they had known each other, she had accumulated more pairs of shoes that she had friends and family combined. Freshman move-in day at NYU had never seen so many shoe boxes, so many that Spike had had to store some in his little dorm at Pratt all the way over the Brooklyn Bridge. They had a system where he brought shoes with him whenever he visited and ended up taking a pair with him back home. Spike didn’t normally indulge her shoe fetish, but he felt somehow responsible for their accident and wanted to assuage his own guilt.

“Well, only if it makes you feel better.” Buffy smiled brightly. “So where exactly are we going in this thunderstorm, oh wise one?”

“You mean, you don’t know where we are? You don’t recognize how close we are to your favorite landmark?”

Buffy groaned. “You have got to be kidding me. We’re walking to Aphrodite’s Oasis? That sleazy motel that we always pass?”

“Looks like you’ll get to see the inside after all, pet. Leave your bags here—don’t want to get them soaked. We’ll only have to walk for a mile or so, and then we’ll call a tow truck to get our stuff. Ready to find that oasis?” Spike grinned and then ran out into the rain.

“I cannot believe this is happening.” Buffy sighed, braced herself for the pouring rain, and then followed her friend into the night.

--

“I’m sorry, sir, but the only available room we have for tonight is the Deluxe Honeymoon Suite.”

Spike looked over at the wet and bedraggled Buffy squeezing out the water from her hair and trying to cover her chest from the blatant stares of men walking by, her white shirt not giving much coverage.

“That’s fine. Just tell me where to go.”

--