This is dangerous,
Open up your head feel the shell shock!
This is dangerous,
I walk through mindfields so watch your head rock!
The Prodigy – Mindfields

Since Spike’s dusting of Angel—he still hadn’t made peace with himself for that—the attacks on Buffy, and even more so Spike, were only getting harder to defeat. It was time to practice a different tactic: ‘the best defense is a good offense’. If they managed to take the Master out, the Aurelians would be left reeling and leaderless, while the Tarakans would consider the contract forfeit and stop their assassination attempts; easy as pie.
Putting the idea into a plan, and better yet into practice proved... problematic.
“You aren’t going down there, and that’s final.” Spike glared at Buffy.
“Seriously? I’m the Slayer, moron. When there’s a guy to kill called ‘The Master’ who wants to feed all of humanity to ancient demons, they call me.” Buffy accompanied her words with air quotes to accompany their target’s title.
“If you go down there he’ll have within his grasp the one thing he needs to get out. Didn’t you lot learn this yet? It’s all about the blood. Your blood can break him out of his box. And I’ll be twice damned if I let you become his midnight snack.”
Buffy scoffed. “As if. He won’t know what hit him.”
“He killed you the first time, you infuriating bint. Won’t you just bloody listen for once in your life? You mustn’t go down there.”
“Well, that may be true, but if you think I’m letting my boyfriend go against the Order of Taraka, the Order of Aurelius, and the Master on his own, then you’re dumber than he is.”
“He who?”
“My boyfriend. Who is you.”
“Ah, pet…” Every time she called him her boyfriend his whole spine got all tingly.
“I know what I said, and I meant it.” Her voice had lost its edge, and her eyes were downright sultry.
“Buffy.” The sound of Giles’s voice reminded Spike of where they were: in Buffy’s house, and not alone. In fact, all the Scoobies—including Tara, Martha, and even Cordelia—were gathered to discuss the next step that needed to be taken.
“Giles, tell him I have to go.”
“You’ll do no such thing, Rupert. My daughter will listen to her boyfriend and stay home.” Joyce was glaring daggers at the watcher.
“But Mom.”
“Really, Mrs Summers? ‘Listen to her boyfriend?’ Way to give in to the patriarchy.” Willow turned beet red when everyone turned to look at her. “I’ll just be here, all with the feminism.” Tara gave her a warm smile.
Buffy, on the other hand, fixed her mother with a hard stare. “Willow has a point. Way to have my back, Mom.”
“My job is to keep you safe. So yeah, I’m doing my job.”
“And my job is slaying vampires, so I need to go down there and do just that.”
Xander raised his hand. “I vote the person filled with all the blood the Master needs to get free doesn’t go to, you know, his lair. I mean that’s just horror movie rule number one.”
Jesse frowned and tilted his head. “I thought the first rule was that the pretty girl with the big tits ends up topless, running through the woods.”
Amy wacked him upside the head. “Neanderthal.”
Spike chuckled. “And a bloody brilliant rule that is, but the Wh—Xander has a point.”
“There are no points. He just agreed with you, like always, so of course you liked his idea. Which is your idea. But it’s stupid, because the Master won’t get my blood, because I’ll stake him.” Buffy hit her open palm with her fist in a staking gesture.
“It’s not that easy, love. He is old, powerful, has minions, and has thrall.” He stopped counting off his fingers and made a fist. “And he already killed you in my old world. He’s not doing it here, too.”
Buffy’s face settled into her ‘I’m the Slayer, I get my way’ mask, then she scrunched her nose, and put her palm on his cheek. “In that world, in that time, I didn’t have backup, I didn’t have a heads-up, and I didn’t have you.”
Spike swore softly, even as his heart filled with warmth. “You’re playing dirty, Buffy. Know I can’t say ‘no’ to you when you look at me like that.”
She perked up and grinned. “Really? Can I also ask for a new pair of thigh-high boots?”
The twinkle in her eye let him know she was just joking, so the words didn’t hurt.
“Can I get a new boots too?” Cordelia butted in the discussion with her usual tact.
Spike ignored the cheerleader, and answered his girl instead. “You can have new shoes, you can even get a new skirt to go with them, but you’re not coming to the Master’s lair, pet.”
Her playful grin froze on her face. “I’m not?” She tilted her head. “Why’s that? Just because you said so?”
He almost answered. Almost. A tiny part of his brain piped up and made him take stock. Buffy’s posture and the way she had him pinned with her gaze could only mean one thing. He’d fucked up, and was a sentence, or perhaps just a word away from a broken nose. He should have known she would never stay on the sideline in such a fight. With a deep sigh, Spike gave up any hope of winning this almost-fight. “No, I know I can’t stop you. Wish I could. But you’re right. You’re the Slayer, and you’re Buffy. Of course you’ll want to face danger head-on.” He took a step closer to her and took her hands in his. “Just promise me you’ll be careful. Don’t look the bastard in the eyes, don’t listen to what he’s prattling on about, and always expect a trap. I’ll be right there to watch your back, but—” He cleared his throat. “Just don’t die, okay love?”
She nodded. “I’ll be fine, Spike. I don’t care what happened to the other me, but I know the Master won’t get me this time. We’ll get him, instead.”
Spike hoped she was right.
~~~***~~~
*in the tunnels near the high school, later that day*
Margret stepped quietly around the small alcove where the Scooby mini-coven would cast its spells, blessing the site, and asking for the Gods’ favor. To Spike’s complete lack of surprise Tara had been a perfect fit with the other girls, her better relationship with her mother and with magic balancing out both Willow, and Amy’s personal experiences. The three girls were sat in a triangle, getting ready to perform a series of protection spells. One of them was supposed to protect Buffy from the Master’s thrall, while the other two would help them get through his minions.
Spike hoped it would go better than Willow’s spellcasting from his old world. He needed this to work. Of course, if it didn’t he’d just have to hope a century living with Dru taught him enough tricks to keep the old Bat out of Buffy’s mind.
The bottom line was simple: Buffy would not die on his watch.
Margret stopped what she was doing and put the candle she held on the ground, in the last empty point of a pentagram she’d drawn with chalk. “We’re ready to begin. Give us five minutes and the spells should be in place.” She took her place opposite Jenny. The two women would be the conduits, while the three girls would do the actual spellcasting. Giles, Xander, and Jesse were standing guard, armed with stakes, holy water squirt guns, and short swords. The tight quarters wouldn’t be well suited for crossbows, so they hadn’t brought any. Cordelia had refused to go anywhere near any sewers, so she had gone home.
Spike knew Giles was also armed with a handgun, which he’d kept secret from most of the group, but that he’d thought a good idea, given that some members of the Order of Taraka were human, or close enough to it. Spike gave the watcher a tight nod. “Nothing gets through, right?”
The answering nod was just as curt. “She comes back.”
“With my dust, if need be.”
Buffy cuffed him on the back of his head. “She is right here, and we’re both coming back.” She grabbed his hand and started dragging him along the tunnel.
*
It was easy to get into the Master’s lair. Spike tried to remember if when he was still evil he’d been that careless. He always made sure someone was on hand to take care of Dru if she had one of her episodes, but other than that… Had he ever posted a guard? Probably not. So maybe it was an ‘evil’ thing to do? You’re the worst out there, so you don’t care enough to protect yourself, confident nobody would be crazy enough to come a-knocking.
Guards or not, though, the muffling spell the witches had cast over them helped.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. He chuckled to himself while he twisted the neck of the lone vamp still awake. The next room was filled with sleeping fledglings. He and Buffy moved through them as stealthily as possible, leaving dust piles in their wake. Thank God for stupid fledges too young to lose their vamp faces even in their sleep, and too dumb to wake up when half were already dusted. The Aurelians sure weren’t what a force to be reckoned with as they’d once been. It was downright pathetic.
“Wha—?”
Spike put one hand over the mouth of the vampire who’d woken up, while with the other he staked her. He raised his head to confirm Buffy had just staked the last of the sleeping morons. Their gazes locked. God, he loved her: the silent killer, just as alluring as the punning fighter who always looked as if she was putting on a show for an unseen audience.
Are you all right? He thought at her, thanks to the second spell—a modified version of the one the ‘old’ Willow had used during the fight with Glory, powered by Amy this time.
Yes. I’m even better because I’m winning. I totally got more vamps than you. She poked her tongue out at him.
He chuckled, the sound absent because of the first spell.
They moved forward, ever deeper into the warrens the Aurelians had dug around the buried church the Master was stuck in. The trip was short and void of any other encounters with the Master’s minions. All too soon they were entering the vaulted structure housing one of the most notorious vampires ever.
“You’re early.” The Master stood on a dais at the end of the room, next to what had once been the altar. Ugly bugger. He was even more deformed than Spike had imagined from Darla and Dru’s descriptions. Angelus had really hit the nail on the head when he’d called him Old Batface that one time during an epic bout of drinking. He’d always denied saying it, but Spike made it his business to remember anything Peaches was ashamed of.
Buffy moved forward and gave a shrug. Tara’s muffling spell was still in effect, so she couldn’t have punned even if she wanted to. Spike was sure she wanted to.
As if to answer his unspoken thought, he heard her voice in his head. I never do what’s expected. Spike taught me that. Plus, you know, early bird, worm. Though you look more like something the worms already ate. Ewww.
I don’t think he can hear you, love.
I don’t care. He’ll be dust soon anyway. But you can hear me, and this is some of my best stuff here. So you better enjoy, mister. She glared briefly at him.
He put his hands up. Always. Love to hear what comes out of that mouth of yours. Or brain, in this case.
Nice save.
“As… touching… as all this silent discussion is, I do believe you’re being rude to me, your host.” The MAster took one step closer to the edge. “Would you like to share with the class?”
Spike noticed his eyes. He was completely focused on Buffy, his body swaying softly. Like one of those fakirs and their cobras. Like Dru.
He screamed inside his head. He’s trying to thrall you.
I know. I think Willow’s spell is holding up. I don’t feel any different.
You wouldn’t, that’s the whole trick. If you knew you were being tricked, it wouldn’t really be useful, now would it? Just be careful, okay?
She smiled at him. Always.
“You know, there is a prophecy: The Anointed One was supposed to lead you here.” The Master gave Spike an once-over. “Not exactly my first choice, but at least you’re family, William.” One moment he was in plain sight, and the next he’d merged with the shadows.
Look out, pet.
Where is he?
“The prophecy says you’d come to stop me and die.” There was a dark chuckle that reverberated around the room. “Prophecies are tricky things, though. They never tell you the whole story.”
Spike heard a faint sound and realized they were being flanked. He used every ounce of self-control he had not to turn that way, instead doing his best to appear to still be looking around wildly. He thought about warning Buffy, but something in what the Master had said earlier gave him pause. What if he was strong enough to read their thoughts, at least the ‘projected’ ones? He couldn’t risk it. He tightened his grip on his stake, though.
The voice was back, the echo making it impossible to figure out its source. “You see, Slayer. Had you not come here, I couldn’t be free. It’s your blood that frees me.” The Master appeared on Buffy’s left, his hand going for her throat.
Buffy, duck.
She did, shooting her hand out and embedding her stake in the master’s leg. Spike followed up her attack with his own, thrusting his stake in the Master’s throat. He’d been aiming for the bastard’s chest, but the old fucker could move really fast when he wanted to.
It was too little, too late. Buffy rose from the ground, her stake finding its mark on the way up.
I don’t believe in prophecies. I make my own destiny.
The Master dissolved to dust, leaving his bones behind.
Good job, Buffy.
The smile that light up her face was worth a million bucks. We did it. He’s dead and I’m not. Woohoo.
Still need to get rid of his bones. When she made a disgusted face, he sent her his laugh. Don’t worry, let the dead man worry about dead bones, yeah?
Oh, thank God. Just… let’s get out of here soon, okay boyfriend mine?
A swarm of butterflies took flight when she called him that. Anything you want, love.
Okay, you do whatever you need to do here, I’ll go back to the girls to let them know they can stop with the chanting. She gave him a quick peck on his lips and started to make her way back.
Spike frowned. He ducked down, grabbed some random small bones, stuffed them in his pocket, and hurried after Buffy. Something tells me we shouldn’t split up until we’re out of here. We’ll come for the rest of the bones later.
You scared, Spike?
He didn’t get a chance to answer. A couple of assassins from the Order of Taraka were coming right for them. The male had a heavy chain fashioned into a lasso, while the female had a trident in her hands.
Spike reached inside his jacket, found the charm there and crumbled it in his fist, breaking the spells the girls had cast on him. “The Master is dead, your contract is void.” He took another step forward and slashed his hand through the air. “You’re done here. Leave and don’t ever come back.”
The two Tarakans looked at each other. “Only the Master of Sunnydale can break the contract,” said the female.
“Forfeiting the half price given in advance,” the male hastened to add.
“I am the next in line to the Order of Aurelius, and I am the most powerful vampire in town. I am the Master of Sunnydale, and I’m telling you to get the fuck out of here. Now.”
“As you wish.” They dropped their defensive stances, turned, and left.
Buffy stepped up next to him. “Good riddance.” She looked at him out of the corner of her eye. “Is what you said true? Are you the new Master in town?”
Spike exhaled and let his shoulders sag. “I don’t know. I guess it is. Haven’t given it much thought before I said it, but… yeah.”
“Were you the Master before? In your old world?” Her face was closed off.
“I was, for a while. Then you… the other you, broke my back and that was that. I never actually took the title again, even if I think I was the de facto Master those last few years, at least.” He shrugged. “Why?”
“Just curious.” She looked down the corridor. “Were any of those… Did we just stake all your minions?”
He frowned. “I don’t want minions. Don’t need them, either. And even if I did, those pathetic excuses for undead wouldn’t have made the cut.” He gazed into her eyes. “What’s this all about?”
She shrugged, but didn’t look away. “I was just wondering if you didn’t miss it, or something. I don’t know, it’s stupid.”
“Buffy, the one thing you need to know about me is that I’m Love’s Bitch. I love you, so I’d never choose, or want, anything that would mean losing you. Got that?”
She was quiet for a few moments, looking deep into his eyes, as if she was searching for something. Finally she smirked. “So if you’re the Master, does that make me the Mistress?”
He burst out laughing, then kissed her, trying to convey every ounce of passion he had for her. “You can be the bloody queen if you want. Now let’s get out of here. Ripper is probably halfway ready to come to the rescue.”
“Ohmygod. I totally forgot about the gang. Let’s go.” She set off running back the way they’d come.
Spike followed, hoping they wouldn’t meet any resistance.

Mindfields lyrics copyright © EMI Music Publishing, BMG Rights Management US, LLC