Chapter 4


At 7 AM, the phone rang.

Even though it was downstairs, Spike and Buffy were roused from sleep by the ringing. Buffy groaned and tiredly rolled out of bed. She grabbed her robe and pulled it on.

"Who could that be so early?" Spike asked.

"I have no idea." Buffy yawned. "But this better be good. I'll be right back."

She shuffled downstairs to the kitchen and answered the phone.

"Hello?" Buffy said groggily, rubbing sleep from her eyes.

"Buffy, it's Riley. I need to talk to you."

Buffy's eyes opened more. "Riley?"

Spike had slipped into his pants and been on his way to the bathroom, stopping when he heard her mention Riley's name. That got Spike's attention. He rubbed his eyes and listened. Riley was the idiot that she just broke up with. What if they, somehow, could make up? Spike didn't want to lose Buffy if she had a sudden change of heart. He was falling in love with her fast.

"Dammit, Riley! Do you know what time it is? It's 7 o'clock in the damn morning!" Buffy groused.

"I know, I'm sorry to wake you up so early. I just had to talk to you," he apologized.

"What do you want, Riley?"

"I want you back. I want for us to talk this out. I've made mistakes, but I still care about you, Buffy. I know that we can make it."

Buffy groaned, "God, Riley, I am so not in the mood for this."

Spike continued on into the bathroom. He didn't feel right eavesdropping, though he was curious about the conversation.

Over the next few minutes, Riley told her how much he believed that he and Buffy could still work everything out and be happy together.

"Please, Buffy honey, give us another chance?" Riley said.

“Let me get this straight, you admitted that you paid a prostitute to suck your dick while we were going out, and you expect me to forgive you for that?”

“It was a mistake, Buffy! I was in a bad place emotionally when I did that. I’m sorry and I’ll never do it again.”

“You’ll never do it to me again because I won't give you another chance to. It‘s too late, Riley. There's also the fact that you were with Faith. I'm not forgiving you for that either."

"I told you, I thought she was you! It was dark!"

"It's flattering that you couldn't tell the difference between me and Faith. You should have known!" Buffy groaned. "Forget it, Riley. Like I said, it's too late now. Most of all because I‘ve met someone else.”

“Wh--What!? It’s only been 4 days!”

“Even still, I bumped into an old friend from school and we really hit it off."

"You...You can move on, just like that!?"

"Looks that way, don't it? Sorry, Riley. I'm not interested in being with you anymore. I didn't love you. I need to find someone that I can love. And so do you."

"I do love you, Buffy!"

"I'm sorry. It's over." Buffy was too tired to point out that he never would have went to a whore for a blowjob, and he would have known that it wasn't Buffy that he was with when he was making out with Faith... If he really had loved her.

"You're...You're a bitch! And a slut!" Riley yelled angrily, spluttering in her ear. "I should have known from the beginning that you were trash!"

Buffy grimaced and held the phone away from her ear. "Okay, Riley. Think whatever you want to, if it makes you feel better. I'm with someone else, and I'm optimistic about my chances with him. Bye, now. Don't call back."

She hung up and shook her head. Poor, stupid, deluded Riley. He really thought that they could patch things up after what he'd admitted to her? As if! Anyway, she had her hot l'il Englishman on the path to redemption to keep her warm at night. Speaking of which, she needed to get back upstairs and into his arms.


Spike was sitting on the porch swing on the front porch, smoking a cigarette. After using the facilities, he had walked downstairs, gotten his smokes out of his duster and gone out front to have a cigarette in the cool morning air.

Buffy came out in her bathrobe. "Hey, what are you doing out here? I was looking all over for you."

"Just having a smoke. I didn't want to smoke in the house, know you don't like that."

"Oh, that was considerate of you. Thanks." She sat down on the swing next to him. "Is something wrong? You look a kind of down."

"That was your ex on the phone, right?"

"Yeah. That was Riley. He said that he wants us to work things out," Buffy chuckled, shaking her head.

Spike looked at her, insecurity written all over his face. “So...you don’t want Riley back?”

“Spike, how can you even ask me that? We have a connection, and we had fantastic sex last night. It should be obvious who I want.”

He stared at the burning end of his cigarette. “Yeah, but from what you said about him, he was basically a decent guy -- with some big problems, but among the law abiding at least.”

"There was a lot wrong with Riley's and my relationship. The prostitute thing and him making out with my cousin was more than I could handle. I'd hardly call him a 'decent guy' after he did stuff like that."

Spike glanced at her. “I’m a criminal with a rap sheet who you caught in the act of stealing your possessions. I’ve done a lot of bad stuff, Buffy...I’m not a good man.”

Buffy put her hand on his leg. “You can be, Spike. I know that you can be if you try.”

“How can I possibly redeem myself after what I’ve done to people’s lives? As much as I wish that I could, I can’t change the past, the things I’ve done.”

“No, but you can change the future. It‘s what you do with the rest of your life that matters.”

Spike smiled at her affectionately. “You really think that I can do it?” He put out his cigarette in an empty flowerpot.

“I do.”

“This is going to sound really trite, and I know that it’s from a movie, so I'm not trying to pawn it off as an original creation of mine...”

Buffy giggled, “What is it?”

Spike put his hand to her cheek and looked into her eyes. “Buffy, you make me want to be a better man.”

Buffy melted. "That is so sweet, Spike. But I want you to change for your own sake."

"I wasn't strong enough to even think about it...until I met you. You give me the strength. You make me believe that I can change. You make me want to change. I feel like...there's finally something -- someone -- special in my life. I actually believe that there's a chance for me to be happy."

Spike leaned in and kissed her. They parted, smiling at each other.

Buffy sighed happily and rested the side of her head against his shoulder, they held hands, interlocking their fingers and looked at the rising sun.

"Symbolism," Buffy said.

"Hmm?"

"The sun rising. It's a new day, a new beginning. For both of us."

Spike chuckled, "That's really corny, Buffy."

Buffy lifted her head and narrowed her eyes at him.

Spike amended, "But, very apt." He grinned, and kissed the tip of her nose.

Buffy smiled and rested her head back on his shoulder, wondering if it would be too weird to celebrate their new love tonight with the bottle of champagne that she'd hit him with...


THE END