Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope ya'll find the ending satisfying :)
One year later...


Buffy woke up, stretching her sore muscles. She pushed aside the mosquito netting, and went to use the facilities. After she freshened up and dressed, she sat down on the bed to rest for a minute longer, mentally going over a checklist of things that needed doing today.

William came in the hut and smiled at her. "Morning, pet. Did you sleep well?" He came over to the bed, gave her a kiss and sat beside her.

"Yeah, pretty well. How long have you been up?"

"A few hours. I went with Mukami and Imani to get the supplies."

She stuck her lip out in a pout. "I told you I wanted to go too."

"You worked so hard yesterday, I wanted to let you sleep in." William gave her another kiss, then pulled back, looking sheepish. "I know this isn't the honeymoon that you've always dreamt of... I promise that I'll give you a proper honeymoon once we're done here."

Buffy chuckled. "Okay, I admit that I didn't dream about honeymooning with my new hubby in a remote Kenyan village, helping him dig irrigation ditches and handing out supplies."

William looked down, thinking he should have done things differently.

Buffy put her hand on the side of his face and turned his head to look at her, gazing at him with boundless love. "But the fact you wanted to come here to help people instead of just letting someone else take care of it so that you could go on a luxurious vacation... that's one of the reasons I married you, William. You're so sweet and caring, you're such a good man... and there's also the fact that you're a demon in the sack."

They both smiled and laughed.

"You really don't mind being here another week?" he asked.

She shook her head. "Nope. I feel great being able to make an actual difference in people's lives. And I love the village people... you know what I mean." They giggled. "Everyone here is so warm and friendly."

William hugged her and kissed her cheek. "I definitely made the correct choice in marrying you, Buffy Summers-Giles. You're perfect."

"As I've pointed out previously, not perfect."

"Don't contradict me, woman," William said with a smirk. "Do it again, and it'll be a spanking for you."

Buffy's brow puckered. "I'm confuzzled... Is a spanking supposed to discourage me from sassing you? 'Cos, liking it."

They dissolved into a fit of giggles again. William laid her on her back and got half on top of her, needing to kiss her some more. They hadn't made love since they'd arrived in Kenya, they'd both been just too exhausted to do more than heavy petting. But waiting for their real honeymoon to ravish each other held a certain romantic appeal.

"I'm sorry your boss at the curio shop wouldn't hold your job for you," William mumbled against her neck.

Buffy sighed dramatically. "Well, helping people live happier, healthier lives isn't as fulfilling as helping someone find the perfect Hummel figurine, but it's good too." She laughed. "Are you kidding? I'd do this stuff all the time if I could."

"You can, you know. We're fortunate to have enough money that we can do what we have a passion for. I told you that you could quit that job when you moved in with me 6 months ago, but you insisted on keeping it."

"I know, but I wanted to --"

"You wanted to be independent and not feel like you were sponging off of me?" William finished her thought, arcing his left eyebrow. They were finishing each other's sentences more often.

Buffy laughed, "Exactly. Ya know, it's cute and all, but it kinda creeps me out when you finish my sentences. It's like you're in my head."

"Message received and understood," William said, chuckling. "I'll try keeping out of your mind, however... I won't make any promises about other parts of your body."

It had been a year since their first torrid encounter in William's study. Cecily hadn't gone gentle into that good night. She'd fought the divorce tooth and nail. It had taken 10 months to shake Cecily the pit bull off of their legs for good, but thanks to the pre-nup, she had walked away with only a fraction of the amount that she'd sought. She hadn't broken William, by any means.

There had been a spot of trouble while the divorce proceedings were going on. Cecily had cornered Buffy in the law offices while William was busy going over things with his attorneys and...


5 months ago...

"So, Buffy," Cecily said with a condescending tone, "I hear that you moved into my home recently."

"Not yours anymore," Buffy retorted, smiling. "It's been a challenge to get your stink outta the place, but it's coming along nicely."

"Does it make you proud to know that everyone thinks you're a husband-stealing slut?"

"I don't give a shit what anyone thinks of me. Especially not you."

"Well, that's fortunate, because simply everyone does think you're a whore. Poor little Buffy couldn't manage to find her own man so she swooped in and stole her cousin's husband." Cecily stuck her bottom lip out in an exaggerated pout.

"Maybe he wouldn't have been so easy to steal if you weren't an evil bitch who treated him like shit."

Cecily's lip curled angrily. "You've always been so jealous of me, you couldn't wait to try taking what was mine, could you?"

"Jealous of you? Puh-leeze! He was the only thing you had that I ever wanted. But all you cared about was his money. I love William. I'd love him if he flipped burgers at McDonald's and lived paycheck to paycheck. Sorry, I don't have the time or desire to explain the concept of love to you, Cecily. Look it up. Am I ever glad that I decided to stop sitting idly by watching you break him down, piece by piece."

"I just might see that flipping burgers theory put to the test in a few months time -- I hope the both of you end up living in a cardboard box in some filthy alleyway."

Buffy snapped her fingers, just remembering something. "Oh, I kept meaning to ask you: Are you insane or gay -- or both? My money is on you being a lesbian."

"You rancid little..."

"Ooh, I forgot about clinically frigid. Something is very, very wrong with you, Cecily. 'Cos William is -- oh my fucking God -- he's amazing in bed! Best I ever had, and it just keeps getting better every single time." Buffy smiled brightly. "The poor guy didn't know that sex could actually be fun before I came along. I'm just lucky that having to fuck you for two years didn't give his dick frostbite."

"You're disgusting," Cecily spat and shoved Buffy's shoulder.

Buffy tilted her head, smiling dangerously, "Oh, you don't wanna be putting your hands on me, bitch. Do it again and I'll --"

"You'll what?" Cecily asked, getting an idea. She abhorred physical violence (especially when it was done on her), but if she provoked Buffy into hitting her, she could have her arrested and cause some trouble for the lovebirds.

"You don't wanna know," Buffy said. "If you'll excuse me, and even if you won't, I'm going to go find my hot n' sexy boyfriend. I think I'll jump him in the back of the limo on the trip home."

Buffy tried stepping around her cousin, but Cecily moved in front of her.

"You're just a white-trash slut, Buffy. All you have to offer William is your body, and as soon as you start to droop and lose your luster he'll find a new toy to play with."

"You're so full of shit. You have no idea what it's like to be in a relationship based on love. Yeah, the sex is so fucking hot it sometimes feels like my face is going to melt off, but there's a lot more to it than that. William and I actually enjoy talking to and being with each other." Then Buffy laughed and shook her head, "Damn, why am I wasting my time talking to you? I feel like Captain Kirk trying to explain the concept of love to an alien race. Get out of my way."

"The two of you deserve each other, both worthless bottom-feeders. William wasn't man enough for me, good thing he found someone like you with lower standards."

Buffy considered just pushing her cousin out of the way or arguing some more. Cecily was bristling for a fight and wasn't going to let up. Buffy went with doing what she'd been wanting to do for so long: she hauled back and punched Cecily in the face.

Cecily yelled and dropped like a sack of wet cement. She whimpered and held her hurt jaw.

Buffy shook out her hand, flexing her fingers. "I warned you! Wow, it felt great to hit you, by the way! That was for all the shit you put him through over the years. You're lucky I'm stopping at just one punch, you deserve a lot more."

Employees hurried over to see if Cecily was alright, a few men in suits helped her get back to her feet.

"You're going to be sorry for that, Buffy!" Cecily cried. The punch had hurt a lot more than she'd expected it to -- Buffy was freakishly strong for a woman her size. "I'm pressing full charges for your completely unprovoked attack on me!" She looked wildly around at the small crowd that had gathered. "You all saw it! That whore attacked me!"

"Do whatever the hell you want." Buffy felt too happy to worry about the possibility of going to jail. Seeing blood on Cecily's lip was so satisfying. "You know where I live, the cops can find me at the mansion in Sunnydale." She strode away confidently, head held high, going toward the conference room where she'd left William.

"Oh my God!" Cecily shrieked from behind her. "My tooth is loose!"

Buffy threw her head back and laughed heartily as she continued to walk away. Getting thrown in the slammer would be worth it.


Unfortunately for Cecily, there were a few witnesses that attested to the fact that she'd put her hands on Buffy first (with that first shove), making it mutual combat, not assault. All provoking Buffy had earned her was a swollen jaw and a loose tooth. Needless to say, Cecily gave Buffy a wide berth from that time on. She was terrified that her tiny blonde cousin would thrash her given another chance. She never directly challenged or taunted Buffy again.

William had been upset at first when he'd found out about the very brief Buffy vs. Cecily smackdown; he didn't like letting Cecily know she'd upset either of them. But, after the trouble died down, William couldn't help but grin like the Cheshire Cat when he thought about Buffy punching his ex, and was only sorry that he'd missed it. Maybe they could go on the Jerry Springer Show (as Buffy jokingly suggested) for a real showdown.

As soon as they had been free, William had asked Buffy to marry him, and she'd agreed immediately. They'd been living together for 6 months, and wanted to make it official. They had married in an outdoor ceremony in Sunnydale, with many of their family and friends attending, a week before flying to Kenya. Buffy's family had had no problem with her stepping in to take Cecily's place as William's wife; nobody had really liked Cecily, for understandable reasons. And William's family, especially his father, had been overjoyed that the bitch was gone from William's life, and was being replaced with a sweet girl who obviously loved William as much as he loved her. Rupert even did a chorus of 'Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead' at the reception, making everyone laugh boisterously -- they couldn't have agreed more with the sentiment. It was the happiest day of William and Buffy's lives.

The last they'd heard about William's ex-wife, she'd been down on her luck. Say it with me, awww. Her "friend" Geoffrey had turned out to be not much of a friend at all, he'd swindled her out of 100s of thousands of dollars then disappeared. Her divorce settlement and her trust fund were both drained. William never found definitive evidence that Geoffrey was Cecily's lover, but that was what all signs pointed to. He actually pitied the man on a level, the things he must have had to do to work his con... Well, William thought that the bloke had earned the money. Because she was nearly broke, Cecily was now back living with her parents -- and they weren't too happy with her these days either, some of their money had disappeared with her friend too. Being without money and social status was a fate worse than death to Cecily, and that was exactly the position she now found herself in. She'd been set on ruining William, but she was the one who might be flipping those burgers in the near future. Buffy had remarked that Karma usually took a long time to come back on people, but it had boomeranged on Cecily with a vengeance. Couldn't have happened to a nicer gal.


William and Buffy had been still trying to settle on the perfect honeymoon when he got a call from his second in command, Wesley, from the Watchers Council. There was some sort of trouble getting building permits for work the Council was trying to do in the same Kenyan village that picture of William had been taken at, that photo that Buffy had admired so much in his study. With a torrent of apologies, William told his new wife that he had to leave for Kenya right away to meet with officials personally and get everything sorted out and the projects back on track. He hadn't even thought to ask if she wanted to come along, he wasn't used to the idea of a woman who would follow him anywhere. He'd been surprised at first when Buffy had asked if she could come too. William had fallen impossibly more in love with her.


Back in the present

"I was thinking," William said, his hands making circles on her back, "about the real honeymoon. We could sail to Hawaii. Would you like that?"

"Duh," Buffy laughed. "Sounds heavenly. But you know that it doesn't matter to me where it is we go, just as long we're together."

"I feel the same way, pet. But I want to do right by you, you deserve the very best. Hmm, instead of Hawaii, we could take the Orient Express from Paris to Vienna, and spend a few weeks in Europe."

"Damn, that sounds good too!" Buffy saw a twinkle in his eye at the Orient Express honeymoon idea, it was apparently something he really fancied doing. And it sounded like it would be wonderful to her too. "Let's do that one. I can't wait to get you alone on the train, baby. I hope those compartments are soundproof."

They cuddled and kissed for a few minutes. Buffy broke the kiss, gave him a slap on the butt and said, "We've got the rest of our lives to make with the smoochies, we'd better get going. I'm late as it is because someone didn't want to disturb my beauty sleep."

They got up, straightening their clothes and hair.

William couldn't resist giving his new wife another kiss. "I love you so much, Buffy. I thank God everyday that we found our way to each other. Thank you for not holding the fact that I'm slow against me." He smiled and kissed her softly.

Buffy smiled, locking her hand around his. "I love you too, William." She also gave thanks everyday that they were finally together -- thanks and praise to God, and Joan Jett too.

They headed out for another day of physically demanding, but fulfilling work, their joined hands swinging between them.


THE END


Chapter End Notes:
Endless thanks to everyone who helped me with and reviewed this story! I've gotten such lovely responses and encouragement from all of you, there's nothing like getting positive feedback to keep my fingers a' typin :D *Hugs and smoochies to all*