Buffy rang the doorbell and waited, her pulse racing with anxiety and anticipation.

Now that she was here, she didn't know if she'd have the guts to go through with playing show and tell and letting William know how she felt. To tell him that she was attracted to him, that she wanted him, that she was in love with him. But she had to try. Her mind played the best and worst scenarios. The worst, being: William would be appalled by her behavior and tell her that he didn't want to see her ever again. The best, being: William would say that he wanted her too, and then they could... get to know each other better. In the Biblical sense. After she got done blowing his mind (and another choice part of his anatomy) he might feel that the two of them belonged together too.

It wasn't as if Buffy had a sense of loyalty toward her cousin, that wasn't what nagged at her. What bothered her conscience was making advances on any woman's husband. But these were special circumstances. Buffy had to make William see that his marriage was a sham, that his wife was a heartless bitch, and that there were other women out there (namely Buffy) who would be happy to have him and be thankful for him.


William opened the door just as she was about to ring the bell again. He smiled when he saw who the unexpected visitor was. Seeing Buffy always made him smile. "Buffy, what a nice surprise!"

"Hi, hope you don't mind me stopping by without calling first," Buffy said with a nervous smile.

"No, not at all. But Cecily left for London last night, she's not --"

"I know. I thought I'd see how you were doing... all alone here."

"Oh, that was... very sweet of you." It was unnerving, seeing Buffy here so soon after he'd been thinking of her in a highly improper way. But William was getting very good at suppressing his urges and burying his feelings. "I'd love some company, please come in." He stood aside, gesturing for her to come in. "I was just working in my study, I've finally finished having the room redone. Would you like to see it?"

"Oh, you got it finished?" William had told her a few weeks ago how he wanted to remodel his study, she'd thought it was incredibly adorable how excited he was about it, like a little boy getting a present. And it was just nice to see William happy and smiling about anything. "Yeah, of course, I'd love to see it!"

As Buffy brushed by him, her pleasing, mouthwatering scent made William's eyelids flutter. She smelled of vanilla, one of his favorite aromas. Vanilla combined with her own natural scents was intoxicating. He had to put forth a great effort to get himself back under control. Buffy hadn't noticed the strange look pass over his face, she was too wrapped up in her own naughty thoughts about how good he smelled.

William showed her the way to his sanctuary, talking along the way. Buffy was listening, but also looking him over discreetly. He was just so delightfully nerdy and proper. He was alone at home and supposed to be relaxing, and yet he was wearing a gray suit and tie. He always looked so neat and prim -- it made Buffy want to muss him up. And something told her that behind closed doors, William could be an animal. Those quiet, intellectual types could rattle a good headboard given the chance, or so she'd heard.

His eyes (all on their own) did a quick scan of her from head to toe. "You look... smashing. Do you have plans for later?" She looked better than 'smashing'; she was resplendent, glowing... effulgent. If she had a date with someone later, that was a very, very lucky man indeed. William squelched the pangs of jealousy that sprang up at the thought of Buffy dating another man. That was a wholly inappropriate emotion to have in regards to Buffy. Besides, he really did want Buffy to be happy, and he couldn't be the man to do it. She was his friend above all else, and he wanted his friend to find happiness. At least one of them should be happy...

Buffy thought, 'Uh-oh, I made myself look too obvious and ho bag-ish! He can tell that I came here for more than just a friendly visit!'

She said, "Uh, I was thinking about going to the Bronze later... to, you know, do a little dancin' maybe."

William nodded, easily accepting the answer. "Sounds like fun."

"You doing anything tonight?" Buffy asked.

"I planned on staying in. Cecily might call."

"She can call your cell. Come on, come Bronzing with me. We can dance the night away."

"I'm really not much of a dancer, I'd just look silly. Especially if I try dancing to a fast song."

"Everybody looks silly when they fast dance. But we can... just dance slow ones." The thought of him holding her in his arms, their bodies swaying together, smelling his delicious scent up close... it was almost too much. The prospect excited her to no end.

He shook his head, "No, best if I stay here. She'd be upset if she thought I was going out and having fun without her." He didn't think it was a good idea to do things like dancing with Buffy. The mere thought of holding her close for a slow dance almost made him start to hyperventilate.

Buffy wanted to start on him about how badly his wife treated him, but she held her tongue... for now. "You have the right to have fun, y'know? And... you'd be with me, so you'd be safe." She batted her eyes innocently. He was most definitely not what his wife would think of as 'safe' with Buffy.

He smiled. "I know, but I have things to do here anyway. I'd rather stay in, really."

"You're a wildman, William," she said with a little smile and a shake of her head.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


They entered the study. William joined his hands behind his back, smiling and puffing up with pride as Buffy looked around.

Buffy swept her eyes around the room. "Wow, it looks awesome!"

He grinned. "Thanks. I'm really quite pleased with how it turned out. It's just as I saw it in my head."

The walls were done in a cream color, the carpet was burgundy. There were built-in wooden shelves filled with books adorning every wall, which wasn't surprising. Buffy knew that William was an avid reader and collector. A Louis XVI writing table with a chair to match was set up near one of the windows; the modern phone sitting on top of the table looked a bit out of place, but she guessed that it was temporary until he got something more antique-looking. There was also the customary expensive globe, a fireplace with two high-backed leather chairs arranged near it, and a small bar with fancy crystal decanters that William had commissioned in Vienna.

Another new object that Buffy noticed was a large divan (or fainting couch, as they were sometimes called), it was covered with dark-red velvet, and was supported on sturdy, carved wooden legs. Buffy ran her hand along the fabric. She loved the feel of velvet, especially on her naked body. She blushed at the dirty image that popped into her mind: her and William, nekkid, and rolling around on the couch. She tried shaking off the image and the feelings that accompanied it. It was way too early to broach the subject of getting freaky with him.

"I'm not keeping you from anything, am I?" Buffy asked. "You don't have business calls to make?"

"No, I took care of all that this morning. I'm all yours," William said, meaning it innocently.

Buffy blushed a bit more, thinking, 'Not yet, but I hope you will be soon!'. She continued her inspection of the study. She did think it was an impressive room, very classy, like something out of a Merchant Ivory movie. It was a little too fancy for her personal tastes, but it was neat. The most important thing was that William was ecstatic about it. Oh, he was so adorable and sexy when he smiled like he was smiling now...

Paintings and framed photos had been placed around the room. One picture Buffy fondly remembered seeing before: it was of William on a trip he'd taken to Africa last year. He'd gone without Cecily, of course -- there was no way Buffy's hoity-toity cousin would stay in a rustic village for even one night, much less the whole month that William had spent there. In the photo, William was smiling at the camera and down on one knee, with his arms around two little kids. At the time the picture was taken, William's hair was much blonder than it naturally was, bleached by the African sun. He looked damn hot as a blonde; blonde hair really complimented his bone structure and brought out his eyes. There were maybe 20 other smiling children gathered around him in the picture. He had gone to the Kenyan village to oversee the groundbreaking for a new clinic that the foundation had arranged to have built. Seeing the picture made Buffy grin and feel warm inside. William was so smart, caring, and gorgeous. And again, she couldn't figure out why her evil cousin had lucked-out and gotten William. Perhaps Cecily's good fortune was due to a pact with the Devil -- Cecily could give Beelzebub a run for his money.

"Very cool setup. I'm glad you don't have any animal heads mounted on the walls." Buffy laughed.

"No, no, I couldn't. I love animals too much... Pretend you didn't notice the leather chairs by the fire."

"Well, it's one thing to have stuff made from animal byproducts, it's different to have part of an animal sticking out of the wall."

William laughed, nodding. "Yes, too right. That's how I feel about it too."

Her heart skipped a beat at how cute he was when he laughed. God, she wanted him! But she was so nervous. "Um, could I have a drink?"

"Little early in the day, isn't it?" he asked, looking to the grandfather clock.

"Yeah, but... let's break-in your brand-spankin' new decanters." Mmmm, spanking...

William smiled. "Alright, why not. You talked me into it."


Chapter End Notes:
Things start to heat up in chapter 4, stay tuned ;)