Author's Chapter Notes:
Please be sure to read chapter 8 before reading this one... I know it has been awhile, but remember italics represents the characters thoughts.
May 2001
Memorial Day Weekend
Sunnydale Inn | Sunnydale, CA

Continuation of the family dinner...

The main course having been concluded, the Summers' family sat leisurely eating dessert and sipping on after dinner decaf coffee.

"Mum and Dad, what was it that you wanted to talk to me about?" inquired Buffy.

"Ah yes, I guess this is a good as time as any," replied Hank. Joyce gently patted Hank's hand as a sign of encouragement. Hank cleared his throat as Buffy looked at him expectantly. "Buffy, as you know these last seven years I have been the ambassador for the United Kingdom here in the States." Buffy simply nodded her head. "Well, it is that time again to decide whether to renew my tenure and remain in the States for another 2 years or return home to England. After a long discussion with your mother and grandmothers, in addition to the recent health concerns of my doctor; I have decided not to renew my tenure as UK Ambassador to the United States. I wanted you to hear this directly from me as my decision may or may not have an impact on what you choose to do next."

"How so, father?" asked Buffy.

"Well," Hank replied; "When your mother and I return to England in July, we would like for you to come home with us."

"Buffy," Joyce quietly interjected. "We know that you have a year left of college, but this would be a wonderful opportunity to have the entire family together after seven years of separation."

Buffy was shocked. "I need to think about this. I mean, I have school to finish, but it is not just that. I have my job at the Sunnydale Gallery as well as Riley. I understand what you guys need to do, but I'm just not ready to give up the life I have right now."

"Buffy, we know that this is not easy. We were young once ourselves and wanted to forge our lives and identities on our own away from our parents. I know that it is a lot we are asking of you, but I would feel a greater peace of mind, if I knew our family was not separated by the Atlantic Ocean.” Joyce continued, “as far as completing your studies, we can get you enrolled at Oxford University. As you know, your grandmother Kat still holds a seat on the Board of Trustees. In addition, you can always find a part-time job at a local art gallery. In regards to your relationship with Riley, I cannot speak to that. Ultimately, it would be your decision. Whatever, you decide to do we will support you 100%."

"Okay. I really need to think about this. I promise to have an answer for you before you leave on Sunday," replied Buffy.

Hank and Joyce simply nodded their head, accepting Buffy’s decision to provide an answer by Sunday. They secretly both hoped that she would join them in July.

After the discussion, the family left the Sunnydale Inn and decided to stop by the Gallery to view the showing for Claudia Reed. Despite Buffy's earlier concerns, the show was an absolute success and Buffy was able to introduce her boss Hans to her parents. Hans had nothing but glowing words of encouragement in regards for Buffy. Always fair, Buffy gave credit where it was due. She made a point of telling both her parents and Hans, that without the help of Warren, tonight's show would have been a disaster.

Once the family left the gallery, both Hank and Joyce were feeling a bit tired. The driver brought the family back to the bed and breakfast safely where they retired for the evening. The family decided to spend the day at the private beach near the hotel in the morning.

As she got ready for bed, Buffy thought about the night's events that took place and realized that all in all she had a wonderful time with her parents. The only downside was the request to return to England with her parents. Given, the glowing praises she received from her boss and only having a year left of school, Buffy was leaning towards remaining in the United States after her parents left for England.

As she prepared for the day at the beach tomorrow with her parents, Buffy realized that she left her bathing suit at her apartment. I’ll just pop home early tomorrow morning and pick up my bathing suit from the apartment and will be back in time for breakfast with the ‘rents.

***********
May 2001
Memorial Day Weekend
William Giles Townhouse | London, England

Saturday morning…

Spike woke to the smell of bacon and eggs cooking from his kitchen.

I know that Margie stocked the cabinets and refrigerator before going home to her family for the weekend. She couldn’t possibly be in the kitchen making me breakfast.

As he got up from the couch, Spike winced as his muscles protested the sudden movement. Note to self: Don’t sleep on the couch unless I want to be in physical pain. He slowly walked into the kitchen to see what was going on.

Once there, Spike watched Cicely, in a pair of panties and one of his black tees moving about the kitchen cooking breakfast as if it is a natural, daily occurrence. As she turned to put bread in the toaster, she noticed Spike standing quietly at the kitchen door.

“Good morning, sleepyhead,” Cicely greeted Spike with a smile. “I thought I would cook us up some breakfast since we didn’t have dinner last night. I hope that is okay?”

“Sure,” replied Spike.

“I made a fresh pot of coffee. Would you like a cup?”

“That would be great, pet. Thanks.”

Cicely poured Spike a stemming cup of coffee and handed it to him. Spike moved to the breakfast nook table to drink his coffee and to continue watching Cicely move about the kitchen.

As he watched Cicely’s every move, a slow panic started to build about the very domestic situation. Cor, I don’t believe what I am seeing here. Cicely is the last person, I thought would go this far… Maybe, I kept her around too long. I’m definitely going to have to cut all ties with her. Yes, that is what I will do. She knew the rules when she agreed to our arrangement. Spike looked up to see Cicely walking to the table with two plates of scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. The food looks delicious; I will cut ties with her after breakfast.

“Breakfast looks delicious, pet. Thank you for making it for me,” Spike complimented the chef as he took a bite of the meal before him.

“Thank you.”

The couple continued to eat the meal in silence. The only sounds that could be heard were the cutlery occasionally hitting the plate. After about ten minutes of the awkward silence, Cicely blurted out:

“Spike, we need to talk.”

Uh oh, I knew this was coming… I should have run in the other direction when I first saw her making breakfast, this can’t be good. “Sure, pet about what?”

“Um, I don’t know how to say this… I mean you are a great guy and the time we have spent together absolutely amazing.”

“Why do I feel a ‘but’ coming on…”

“But I cannot see you anymore.”

Well, that’s a shocker. “Well, that’s a shocker. Care to tell me why, Cicely?”

“Edward is coming home.”

“Ah, I see,” Spike replied. Spike knew all about Edward Naughton. Cicely confessed everything to Spike the second time they had slept together. Depending on how one would look at it; Edward was or is Cicely’s boyfriend. They were childhood sweethearts all the way thru University. Upon graduation, Edward decided to enroll in Her Majesty’s military service. After boot camp, Edward was promptly shipped to Japan for the next four years. Not having the money to visit Edward in Japan and the distance separating the couple, Edward and Cicely agreed to see others to satisfy any carnal needs one may have while the other was away. It was understood that there would not be any emotional involvement on any level and Edward and Cicely had to be honest with each other.

The fact that Cicely was in love with another man, worked on many levels to Spike’s benefit. After Cicely confessed everything to Spike; he informed her that it was okay as he did not want to be tied down in any relationship. Cicely and Spike both agreed to a ’Friends with Benefits’ arrangement. Spike did shower Cicely with small gifts; however the greatest gift he presented to her with an all expenses-paid trip to Japan to visit Edward for his birthday.

“Please don’t be upset,” Cicely nervously wrapped the napkin around her fingers. “You have been the most amazing companion while Edward was away and I truly appreciate that. But I want something more and Edward is the only man to give it to me.”

“I understand. I wish you and Edward all of the best.”

As Cicely began to clear the breakfast plates, Spike grabbed her hand to stop her.

“Leave them, I can get them.”

“I’ll just go and get dressed then.” Slowly, Cicely leaned down to give Spike a kiss on his temple.

As she began to walk out of the kitchen to get dressed; Spike called to out “Cicely, if ever you need anything, please don’t hesitate to call me. I mean it.”

Knowing he was true to his word, Cicely simply nodded her in acceptance of the kind offer.

Spike continued to sit at the breakfast nook and drink his coffee; while Cicely was in the bedroom getting dressed and collecting all of her items that she left over at Spike’s place. Spike cleared the dishes from the table and began to wash up. Once the cleanup of the breakfast dishes were done and Cicely had gathered all of her things, Spike drove her home for the last time.

tbc