Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you all for the wonderful reviews so far for this story. I really appreciate the support. I've uploaded 2 new chapters - Enjoy!!
May 2001
Memorial Day Weekend
Sunnydale Inn | Sunnydale, CA

Friday evening...

Before the driver pulled up to the Sunnydale Inn; Buffy mentioned, "Daddy, the reservations are under Lord and Lady Summers." Although Buffy considered herself to be an independent, free-thinking individual; whenever she was in a public venue with her parents, she easily reverted to the training instilled in her as a child back in England.

"Thank you, Buffy," replied Hank.

Once the driver opened the passenger door, Hank exited the car first before turning to assist Joyce and Buffy out of the car. Once both ladies had left the vehicle, Hank offered Joyce his arm which she gladly and gently took with a soft smile to her husband and began the walk to the entrance of the Inn with Buffy following close behind.

As they entered the restaurant, the host greeted the family, "Good evening, Lord and Lady Summers and guest. Welcome to the Sunnydale Inn. Your table is ready, please follow me."

Once the host led the family to a secluded table in the restaurant; Hank made sure that Joyce and Buffy were comfortable in their seats before sitting down in the chair the host held out for him.

"Your dinner will be arriving shortly. In the meantime, would you like to select from our wine list," commented the host as he handed Hank the wine list.

"Not necessary," replied Hank. "We would like a bottle of your best champagne, please. Buffy, what will you have?"

"I will have a ginger ale, please," Buffy replied to the maître d’.

"Very good, Miss."

After the maître d’ walked away, Hank looked at Joyce and Buffy - "What did he mean that 'dinner would be out shortly'? How can the chef know what we would want for dinner, when I don't know what I want for dinner?" queried Hank. The lawyer in him was never far from the surface.

Joyce and Buffy looked at each other, "Well... daddy, once I knew both you and mum were coming for a visit, I emailed mum the menus from various restaurants in the area that could be possible places for dinner," stated Buffy.

"I selected this restaurant and had Buffy make the reservations, Hank," replied Joyce picking up from where Buffy left off. "Once we arrived at the hotel; I called the restaurant while you were taking a nap, and discussed tonight's meal with both the head chef and owner. I informed them of what we would have for dinner tonight and told them to begin preparation once we arrived. Given the doctor's orders regarding your diet, Hank, I did not want you to become too tempted or overwhelmed with the various choices offered in the menu."

Hank could only stare in disbelief at his wife. Joyce stared back as if daring him to challenge her decision. Once the shock of what had been done had worn off, Hank quickly shook his head and said, "Please tell me that I am not having salad for dinner."

"You're not having salad for dinner," Joyce parroted back.

"I'm serious, Joyce," this was no longer becoming a funny matter to Hank.

In recent years, due to the stress of working at the Embassy and the high cholesterol, Hank was just around the corner from a serious heart attack. During his last physical, the doctor placed Hank on a very strict diet and exercise regimen that Joyce and the embassy staff followed to the letter to prevent any possible heart attack or stroke from occurring. The only time that Hank was not required to follow the diet (an agreement decided between he and Joyce) was if there were plans for dinner at a restaurant with family members other than Joyce and their mothers. Needless to say, Hank was looking for to this dinner with Buffy just as much as seeing his precious daughter.

"Well, your health is important to me, Hank, even if you do not seem to think so," Joyce gently chastised her husband. "You have been doing so well with your diet that I did not want anything to occur to jeopardize and provide any setbacks. That is why I ordered for you a 10oz filet mignon with 2 vegetable sides and a small plain baked potato for your dinner tonight," Joyce smiled at her husband.

"Really?!" Joyce nodded her head in response. "That is absolutely wonderful, darling. I can't remember the last time I had steak. Thank you so much." Hank became as giddy as a child on Christmas morning. He started to look around the restaurant for where his meal would come from and began to wish dinner would arrive so that he could dig in right away.

"This meal does not come without a price," Joyce stated. "Tomorrow morning, we have to walk an extra 45 minutes for exercise."

Hank pouted. "Yes, dear…I promise," was his petulant reply.

Joyce leaned in towards her husband to give him a chaste kiss on the lips. After all, it would not do to have the British Ambassador and his wife photographed as making out like two sex-crazed teenagers in a public restaurant. Although Joyce and Hank had been together for over 27 years, which included a 3-year courtship and 24 years of marriage; it appeared that love had not grown weak with time, but stronger.

Buffy watched the display in front of her. She could not remember a time, when she did not see love reflected on both of her parents' faces when they looked at each other. Most kids and adults her age would definitely get squishy about the display in front of her, but not Buffy – so used to the public display of affection that her parents and both sets of grandparents exhibited towards one another, Buffy would have found it odd if her parents did not engage in the occasional PDA. The only thought going thru her mind as she watched her parents was ‘the type of relationship I have with Riley is not what I want. I want, no need something more. I wish I could find a love like the one my parents have.’

***********
May 2001
Memorial Day Weekend
William Giles Townhouse | London, England

Early Saturday morning....

Spike sat up in his bed, listening to the rain outside his window. The naked form of Cicely lay next to him. Foregoing dinner, the couple returned to Spike’s home for a nightcap, which lead to a marathon sex of that lasted a couple of hours. Once Cicely's appetite was finally sated she promptly asleep.

What Spike liked about Cicely was where he stood with her. They fulfilled each others' physical needs - nothing more was required of either one of them. Cicely did not want to engage in the emotional aspect of the relationship, and that was okay by him. However, most recently Spike had been feeling like he wanted or needed something more than just sex. This awakening was starting to make him a bit restless.

Slowly, Spike climbed out of bed careful not to wake Cicely. He grabbed a pair of boxers and slipped them on. Although he would have been content to walk around his home naked, he maintained a rule to cover his manly bits (unless they were otherwise being engaged) when there were guests in his home. With his cigarettes and lighter in hand, Spike walked into the living room to have a smoke.

Upon reaching the living room, Spike promptly lit a cigarette and took a deep inhale of nicotine. The cigarette along with the rain beating against the windows provided him with a sense of peace and calm.

Spike knew that he could not continue on the path that he was currently on in regards to his “relationships”. However, his heart was truly damaged by Drusilla that although he wanted love Spike was too wary to give his heart to another woman again. The moment that a woman he was seeing became too clingy or wanted to see where the 'relationship' was going, Spike would cut her loose and move on to the next willing body.

The one person who could possibly give him advice on how to move forward passed away five years ago.

Mum, what I going to do? Drusilla did a real number on me. It's funny, Mum. That even after all of the things she did; I still love her with all my being. At least, I think I do. I know that what I am doing to these women is wrong, but I am afraid to get hurt again... I wish you were still here to help me thru this. I know that you were the one person I could go to with all my problems as you always had the right answer. I'm damaged goods. No woman wants a man like me. Even Cicely has a beau that she loves even though she sleeps with me.

As Spike sat thinking, his vision became blurry. It wasn't until something wet hit his chest that he realized he had started crying.

tbc