Author's Chapter Notes:
OMG... Thank you so much for the wonderful reviews. Real-life got in the way for a bit (I decided to go back to school) while working. I plan to continue on with this story. Thank you for your wonderful patience and the kind words of encouragement.
May 2001
Memorial Day Weekend
Buffy Summers’ Apartment | Sunnydale, CA

Lord Hank and Lady Joyce Summers decided to travel to California to break the news to Buffy. They knew that the Memorial Day Weekend was coming up, and it would afford them time to inform their daughter of their decision to head back to England, and request that she comes with them, as well as give the older couple extra time to finish packing up their belongings to have shipped back to the Summers' home in Mayfair by August.

Friday Morning:

"Hey Faith, I'm leaving now to go to work at the Gallery." Buffy yelled in the 2 bedroom apartment she and Faith shared.

"Ok, B. What time will you be back?" Faith asked.

"I won't be back until Sunday. Remember I told you my parents are coming in this weekend? Their flight gets in around 3pm this afternoon at the Sunnydale Airport" stated Buffy as she looked around the apartment searching for her keys.

"B, how are you getting there? Aren't you and cars un-mixy things?" Faith replied back.

"Aha," Buffy whispered to herself once she found her keys. "I hired a car to pick me up from the Sunnydale Gallery and then we are heading straight to the airport to pick up my parents." Buffy stated as she grabbed her overnight bag and jacket as she walked to the front door.

"Does Riley know you will be gone the majority of the weekend?" Faith asked.

Riley and Buffy had been dating for the past two years. Although Buffy considered Riley to be a sweet guy, she thought him to be a bit dull. Lately, he had started to pressure her into having sex. Trying to rationalize with Buffy that since he was planning to ask her to marry him anyway, he wanted to know what the difference was between having sex now as opposed to their wedding night. This type of pressure was causing Buffy to re-think the relationship. Buffy felt that Riley was a special person, but not that special. She had informed Riley that she needed time to think about it and welcomed the opportunity that her parents presented by visiting this weekend.

"Yeah, Riley knows." Buffy replied. "I plan on catching up with him on Sunday after my parents leave." Looking at her watch, Buffy stated "I gotta go or I am gonna be late."

"Ok, B. See ya on Sunday." replied Faith as Buffy closed the door.

Once Faith made sure Buffy was gone, she went to the telephone to dial the ten-digit number of her new boy toy.

"Hey Babe, it's me.” Faith stated in a husky voice. After a pause, she continued "You were right, Buffy is going to be gone until Sunday." After the speaker on the other end of the call spoke, Faith replied, “How about you come over around 8pm tonight?" She smiled broadly in to the receiver and stated "See you then, lover" as she hung up the phone.

Sunnydale Gallery...

Buffy arrived at the Sunnydale Gallery at 10AM. She enjoyed the opportunity of working at the Gallery as this was something she looked forward to doing as a potential career. What started off as an unpaid internship for college credits, turned into a paying job once the internship completed. Hans, the owner of the Gallery quickly realized what a prize he had in Buffy, and did not want to lose her. Every day that she came to work, she learned a new aspect regarding the daily operations of running a gallery. This included - making sure pieces of work arrived undamaged; the proper display of said pieces; negotiating appraisals and commission costs with both the artists and prospective buyers; to shipping the artwork to the next location with proper documents filed.

Each month the owner of the Sunnydale Gallery, Hans Hubert, would host an opening for an unknown artist. Buffy had participated in 3 of the showings so far. Although she would not be participating in tonight's gallery opening of sculptures by Claudia Reed, an artist from Fresno, she wanted to make sure to complete as much of the last minute details as possible to make sure the event was a success.

Buffy had completed 85% of the last minute details by the time the hired car came to pick her up around 2pm to take her to the airport. The remaining work needed to be completed by Warren, the owner's nephew. Warren Meers continuously tried to undermine Buffy's efforts at the Gallery. It really didn't help that Warren always pulled the nepotism card. To make matters worse, Hans would often side with Buffy on these heated debates. This did not make Warren any happier, and in turn, made Buffy's life a bit more difficult.

However, she always kept her promise to her dad and mum that she would try to work thru a difficult situation before attempting to run away again.

As she was leaving the gallery, Buffy felt torn. She had the drive to complete the rest of the work; however, time was not on her side. Since, she had not seen her parents since New Year's, she wanted to pick them up and take them to the Bed and Breakfast where they could relax and unwind.

"Warren, I'm leaving now to meet my parents at the airport. Are you sure you can handle everything?" Buffy asked innocently.

"Will you just leave already!" snapped Warren. "Geez, you are not the only person here who knows how to run a gallery."

Buffy bit her tongue to stop the quick retort she had for the idiot. Instead, Buffy replied "Okay, Warren. I just wanted to make sure you did not need any additional help. Here is the list of the remaining items that I did not get a chance to complete. Since you have everything under control, I'll leave you to it."

Although she had a slight tingling sensation at the back of her neck, Buffy left Warren at the Gallery to complete the last minute items for the showing later that evening. Realizing that she could possibly be making the monumental mistake of leaving Warren in charge; Buffy shrugged off the feeling of impending dread as she left the gallery to meet her parents at the airport.

tbc