May 1994
Halsey-Summers Residence
Summers’ Townhome | London, England.

Buffy thanked Spike's driver for bringing her home.

As she walked up the stairs to her home, the door opened before she could ring the doorbell.

“Good evening, Miss,” replied Jeffrey the Summers’ butler. Jeffrey had been in the Summers’ employ for over 10 years.

“Good evening, Jeffrey”.

“You have come home early, Miss. Is everything alright?” Jeffrey was concerned. Although there was never any fraternization with the help, the staff all doted on Buffy and cared for her as if she was one of their own.

“It was okay, Jeffrey. I…I just got a little bored and wanted to come home early,” stammered Buffy as the events from Harmony’s party replayed in her mind.

“Okay, Miss. I shall let your mother know that you are home.”

“Thank you, Jeffrey. Please let her know that I am in my room.”

“Yes, Miss.”

Buffy entered her bedroom. As she crossed the room to her bed, she put on the television. She slipped out of the dress she wore to Harmony’s birthday party and got more comfortable in a t-shirt and her painting overalls.

As she crossed her bedroom to a smaller room, she tried to find solace in finishing the painting left on her easel. She opened the French doors, but the warm weather with slight breeze detracted Buffy from her initial mission. Deciding that her heart was not into painting at the moment, Buffy chose to stand on her balcony and think.

Is my life going to be like this forever? When will the taunting end? Is there ever going to be someone out there that really sees me? I’m not sure I have the strength to continue on like this, if I have to see the same people who make fun of me every day at school for the next nine years of my life? As Buffy thought about those things, a gentle knock was heard.

Buffy quickly wiped away the stray tears and provided a shaky “Come in.”

Joyce entered her daughter’s suite and instinctively knew to enter the smaller room where Buffy liked to paint.

“Hello, darling; how was the party?”

“It was okay,” Buffy lied. “I was feeling a bit bored and wanted to come home.”

“I see,” Joyce replied. Joyce noticed the dried tear tracks on Buffy’s face. As a mother, she was concerned but did not want to push her daughter in case Buffy completely shut down.

“How are things going with packing up the homes and offices for the move to America,” Buffy inquired.

Joyce saw the question for what it was, a change in topic. 'Buffy’s hiding something,' Joyce thought. “Oh you know, it’s hectic but exciting at the same time. It gives me an opportunity to do some house cleaning as well as buy items we will need in America.”

Something in Buffy clicked and she came up with a wonderful idea. “Do you think it is too late for me to come with you and Dad to America?” inquired Buffy.

“I thought you were excited to start high school with your friends in the fall?” Joyce asked. “It was the whole reason why we made arrangements with your grandmothers so that you could stay here and be with your friends.”

“Okay, forget I asked,” responded Buffy. “It’s just that I am going to miss you guys so much and I felt it would be a new adventure if I went with you to America.”

“Well, I will need to talk to your father about this, but I know I would love to have my baby with me in America.”

“Thanks, Mum”

“Sure.” As Joyce got up to go talk with Hank about the change in plans, Joyce turned to her daughter once more, “Oh Buffy, when you are ready, I expect you to tell me what really happened.”

With that last statement, Joyce left Buffy alone in her room.

Later that evening...

As they were getting ready for bed, Joyce and Hank were discussing items needed for their move to America.

“There is one more item that needs to be added to the list for our move,” stated Joyce.

“Oh, what is that?”

“Buffy,” was Joyce’s simple answer.

“I don’t understand. I thought everyone agreed that Buffy would remain in England and stay with Mum or Bitsy,” replied Hank.

Joyce sighed. “I think something happened today at the birthday party for that Kendall girl. When I stopped by her room earlier tonight, she had been crying. All of a sudden, Buffy asked if she could move with us to America.”

“Well kids will be kids,” replied Hank. “We can’t just provide an escape for Buffy every time someone does something mean to her.”

“I understand that, Hank. I really do. However, I don’t want to leave our daughter in a situation where she is constantly being bullied by her peers. If coming to America will give Buffy a fresh start, then I am all for it.”

“What about my mum and Bitsy? They will be devastated,” replied Hank.

“Of course Kat and my mum will be devastated. Buffy is their only grandchild. But I think Buffy’s well being will far outweigh the need for her to remain here,” replied Joyce.

Hank sighed. “I guess it is settled then. Buffy will come with us to America. On Monday, let’s arrange to get Buffy’s school records and start investigating where she should go to school.”

“Thank you, darling.” Joyce kissed Hank on the cheek. “I will work with my personal secretary to get Buffy enrolled in an excellent school in America.”

The following day, Joyce and Hank went to Buffy’s room.

“Well, we have some news,” Hank started. “You will come with us to America.”

“Thank you, thank you!”

“Buffy, you will have to understand, that we cannot give you an escape every time something goes wrong or if people do not treat you kindly,” Hank replied. “That is not how life works. We grow when we persevere thru our challenges. In granting your wish to come with us to America, we are also hurting two people who love you just as much as us… your grandmothers.”

“What your father is trying to say,” Joyce tried to start.

“No, Joyce. Buffy needs to hear this,” interrupted Hank. “I am not sure what happened at the party, but rest assured, young lady, that this will be the last time in a long while where we will offer you an escape. If you get to America and decide you don’t like it there, too bad. There is an American saying ‘when life gives you lemons, make lemonade’, so I suggest you get an excellent recipe for lemonade. Is that understood?”

“Yes, Dad.”

“Okay. Now come give me a hug and a kiss, I must be off to work on packing up my office. Please be sure to help your mother in the packing your things and any additional items with which she may need your help. Also be sure to spend plenty of time with your grandmothers before we leave in August.”

“I will, Dad. Thank you again,” Buffy replied as she kissed her father good-bye.

Between May and August, Buffy helped Joyce pack up the house and on a couple of occasions went to her father’s office to assist him with packing. When she wasn’t packing, Buffy would spend time with both of her grandmothers, Kat and Bitsy, as much as possible. It was very tiring and bittersweet for Buffy, but she knew that she would begin a new adventure in America… a chance for her to start over.

Due to the amount of packing and running of errands for her mum; Buffy had lost quite a bit of weight. She lost the “baby fat” that Joyce previously rationalized and then some. The weight loss allowed her to have more energy and her clothes to fit a little more loose on her frame. She also started to take a little extra care in her appearance. Both Joyce and her grandmothers noticed the changes in Buffy.

If there was any downtime, which was very rare, Buffy’s mind would wander towards Spike. Often when that happened, she would look at the handkerchief that he had loaned her. As though splashed with cold water, Buffy would remind herself that Spike had a girlfriend. Besides, what 18 year old would be interested in a 13 year old kid? She knew it was just a crush, but he had been so kind to her on that day. Catching herself, she would quickly put away the item.

It was the Summers’ family last week in England. All the last minute items had been addressed and double checked. As it was Thursday, Joyce and Buffy met Kat and Bitsy at the exclusive day spa for a final day of pampering. Joyce had Hank’s black card to take care of all expenses for his four favorite ladies. Once the spa day was complete, the ladies had tea at the Fortnum Tea Room. It was a bittersweet day, as all four ladies knew it would be the last time in a long while that such a perfect day like the one they had would occur.

Given that Hank and his family were leaving early in the morning, tearful goodbyes were exchanged between the Halsey-Summers clan. Even Hank shed a few tears. The next morning, as Hank, Joyce and Buffy boarded the Summers private plan; all Buffy could think about with a smile on her face was 'America, here I come.'

tbc