Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so much for the wonderful reviews and encouragement to continue with the story. I greatly appreciate them.
May 2001
Memorial Day Weekend
Giles, Rayne & Summers (GRS) Law Firm | London, England

Saturday afternoon…

After Spike dropped Cicely home, he decided to go to the office to do some work before the football match between Chelsea and Manchester United came on the television later in the evening.

As he walked down the hallway to his office, Spike decided to take a detour to his father’s office.

“Ah, I see I’m not the only one who likes to break the rules,” Spike commented as he entered Giles office to say hello to his father.

“Well, it is very hard to get work done during normal business hours – what with all of the meetings and such that I have to take care of,” Giles replied sarcastically.

Spike could only shake his head and laugh at his father’s antics.

“What brings you to the office today, son?” Giles queried.

“Well, I just dropped Cicely home and thought I would come in and get some work done before going home to watch football on the tele'.”

Seeing Giles cringed as he commented about Cicely, Spike mentioned “You can wipe that look off your face. Cicely and I ended our relationship this morning or rather she ended.”

Desperately trying to hide his glee at the bit of news, Giles tried a sympathetic response “Oh, really… what happened?”

“Well, her fiancé decided to return home after playing soldier for the last few years in Japan. They are planning to get married within a few months of his return.”

“Ah, I see,” replied Giles. Although he did not like the promiscuous lifestyle that his son engaged in, Giles still did not want to see his son hurt. “Are you okay, now that it is over?”

“Actually, I am. I was thinking that I’m ready now to be more serious when it comes to relationships. You know… maybe court or woo a lady using the good ole Giles charm – see where it goes besides the bedroom.”

“I’m glad to hear that, son” replied Giles. “Your mother and I have only ever wanted what is best for you.”

“Thanks, Da’. I’m going to head over to my office and get a couple of hours of work in before heading back home.”

“Ok, talk to you later.”

As Spike continued his walk towards his office, he made a mental note to stop by his father’s office again before he left for the day to make sure his dad did not remain at the office all night. Ever since his mom, Jenny, passed away five years ago in a car accident; Giles threw himself more in to his work to stave off the loneliness. This worried Spike greatly, as he noticed his father become less sociable outside of the office and more of a hermit.

Maybe I’ll invite Clem, Wes and Gunn over to Dad’s and we make it a guy’s night. The game would be much better in Dad’s theater room. Liking the plan, Spike called his friends and arranged for them to meet at the Giles’ estate instead of Spike’s apartment. Next, Spike called the house to tell the staff to expect guests to arrive around 6:30pm and to show them to the theater room for the football game. As a courtesy, Spike also called his former nanny and the Giles’ housekeeper, Margie, to inform her that he would be spending the rest of the weekend at the Giles’ estate and that some friends would join them to watch a football game that night.

Plan set in motion, Spike settled down at his desk to work on a couple of cases heading to court in the coming week.




May 2001
Memorial Day Weekend
Sunnydale Bed and Breakfast | Sunnydale, CA

Early Saturday morning…

Goodness, I can’t believe that I am up at 6am on a Saturday, thought Buffy. I usually like to sleep in. Why am I doing this again, oh yeah I forgot my bathing suit and need to go to my apartment to pick it up.

Buffy threw on a pair of sweatpants and a baby tee. Pulling her hair in a messy bun, Buffy collected her purse and keys and stopped by her parents’ room.

“Mum, I forgot my bathing suit and I’m just going to pop home to collect it. Do you need me to pick up anything for you and Dad while I’m out?”

“No, dear; we’re fine. Will you be back in time for breakfast?,” queried Joyce.

“Yes.”

“Okay, we will see you when you get back. Be careful.” Buffy kissed her mom on the head and Joyce rolled over and went back to sleep.

Buffy left the Sunnydale Bed and Breakfast and hailed a taxi to drive her back to her apartment.

Upon entering the apartment she shared with Faith, Buffy realized that her roommate was having her own private slumber party.

Okay, let me get my things and get out of here as quickly as possible. Nothing like the awkwardness of encountering one of Faith’s conquests.

Buffy quickly went to her bedroom and collected a couple of bathing suits, sunscreen, beach towels and other items needed for the family outing to the beach later that morning. On her way to the kitchen, she could not help but notice not only a pair of men’s trousers, but also the familiar UC-Sunnydale Letterman’s jacket.

Looks, like Faith bagged herself an athlete for the weekend. I wonder if Riley knows who it is…

Simply thinking about Riley made Buffy want to give her boyfriend a call to let him know how things were going with her parents.

If I call Riley now, I can definitely catch him before he heads to the gym for his morning workout, thought Buffy as she started to dial Riley’s cell number.

As she listened for either Riley to answer or the phone to go into voicemail, she began to hear the distinct ringtone assigned to her cell number come from the trousers laying across her couch:

I’m a Barbie girl, in the Barbie world
Life in plastic, it’s fantastic!
You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere.
Imagination, life is your creation.

Come on Barbie, let’s go party!


It was well-known on the UC-Sunnydale campus that most athletes with serious girlfriends assigned a unique ringtone to their steady’s number.

Buffy walked over to the pair of pants strewn on the couch and pulled out the cell phone. As the Aqua song continued to play, she saw her name flash on the caller id. Before, she could put the phone back – the door to Faith’s bedroom opened and Buffy saw Riley come out of the room naked to answer the phone.

Riley stopped dead in his tracks as he saw his girlfriend look at him with wide green eyes while holding his cell phone.

“Buffy, I can explain.”

tbc


Chapter End Notes:
Finally... the moment we've been waiting for...I have 1 more chapter left of Buffy in Sunnydale and then it is on to England. Please keep reviewing. xoxo.