The Time Spinners

By Heather Martin

Summary- Things get a little twisted when the chip-Spike switches places with the chip-less. Can our do-gooder Spike keep Buffy and the gang from killing him? And can Buffy keep the old Spike from dancing herself back to heaven?

Rating- NC17

Disclaimer- None of the characters belong to me. They’re Joss Whedon’s property.

Spoilers- A TON for Becoming part II! Will have some from the second season to the present sixth.

This happens after Older and Far Away. It also occurs during and after Becoming part II.

Chapter 8- Unwanted

Synopsis/ Buffy is in search of Giles and Xander. Spike is brushed aside. /

 
May 10, 1998

Buffy and Spike traveled through town.

“I have to find Giles, make sure he’s okay,” declared Buffy.

“Sure, and then we’ll look into my lil’ problem, right?” Spike asked.

Slowing her pace, she said, “Yeah, you did help me with Angel.” She had trouble getting his name out. “And, as much as I don’t want to, I’m starting to believe you.”

“Why’s that, luv?”

“You don’t seem to want to kill me for some reason. And, you disregarded Drusilla just like that. Before you were all ‘Oh woe is me, my girlfriend is a skank.”

A snort came from Spike. He stuck his hands in his leather coat pockets. “I was rather pathetic,” he admitted.

Just then a form jumped out at them. It was a vampire, who was going for the punk-rocker impression.

Buffy sighed. “And I left my stake at home.”

“Let me handle it.” Spike moved forward.

The vampire lunged. Then, suddenly, he stopped. “Hey, you’re a vampire too! Why are you looking to dust me? And isn’t that the slayer? Shouldn’t you be killing her and not me?”

Spike threw a punch. “You talk too much, mate.”

They went at it. The fight didn’t take long. Spike knocked the foe into the cement wall of a building. That disoriented the vampire long enough for Spike to grab hold of his neck and twist. Dust filled the air.

Spike brushed off the vampire remains that landed on him. He grinned over at Buffy. “Well, that was fun,” he stated.

She blinked at him. This was weird. The Spike she knew would have stood back and watched the show. But the one next to her intervened, doing away with the attacker himself. But why?

“You kill your own kind? Any other surprises?” Buffy commented.

“Plenty, luv, but I’m not sure if I wanna tell yet. Maybe when I’m good and ready.”

Typical, he still had to be a smart-ass.

The two began to walk again.

“Slayer, can we stop at the store on our way? I’m all out of smokes,” Spike inquired.

Rolling her eyes, Buffy moved faster.

*+*+*+*

Sunnydale Memorial was as busy as ever. Not unexpected considering all the attacks that run through town.

Buffy headed to Willow’s room. Before going in, she turned to Spike. “You better stay out here,” she advised.

He nodded. “Yeh, Red’s probably not too fond of me right now. Wounldn’t want to work her up when she’s still recovering.”

The slayer gave him an odd look before leaving him.

Willow was sitting up in bed, holding Oz’s hand. Her boyfriend was scooted as close as possible. Their heads shot up as Buffy entered.

“Buffy, you’re back!” Willow’s face brightened. “And the world didn’t end!”

Oz brushed a strand of hair out of Willow’s eyes. Afterward, he gave Buffy a small smile.

“Did the spell work?” the red-head questioned.

“Yeah,” Buffy replied, tonelessly.

A worried expression crossed Willow’s features. “Why aren’t you happy-Buffy?”

That was when Buffy broke down. Oz moved away, giving the girls some room.

Buffy hugged her best-friend, weeping. Things remained that way for a while, until she calmed down. Then she pulled away.

“So, things didn’t go as planned?” Oz asked.

“I killed him,” Buffy choked. “He was. . . the portal was open. And the only way to close it was his blood.”

“Oh, Buffy,” Willow said in concern.

Buffy wiped her eyes and stood up. “Where’s Giles? Is he here? Xander got him out, but he was pretty beat-up.”

Willow shook her head. “I haven’t seen him, or Xander.”

“The only other place they could be is Gile’s house. . . or the library. I have to go check.” Buffy stepped toward the door. “I’ll call you when I find them.” She went out into the hall.

Buffy kept walking, straight past Spike. He hurried up to her.

“They’re not here, I take it?”

Exasperated, she said, “Look, I can’t deal with you right now. Just go away.”

“You know, I don’t get you, you’re so fickle. One minute I’m all right, the next I’m told to piss off,” he told her.

She turned, pain evident on her face. “I’ve just been through something major. I’m strong, but I can’t handle everything at once. Sorry, my friends come before you!”

Spike crossed his arms. “Fine, luv, I understand that. I just. . .”

A long sigh escaped her. She didn’t know why she bothered with him. “What is it, Spike?”

“I . . . I was beginning to feel like I finally belonged somewhere. Not totally, but almost. And then I get thrust away, to this hell, where I’m a piece of garbage to you lot again.”

“How do you want us to treat you, huh? You’ve tried to kill me numerous times. I’m supposed to forget that all of a sudden? I don’t think so!” she shot back.

“I’m not the vampire of 1998. I’ve got a bloody chip stuck in my brain. That’s what Dru was goin on about, I can’t hurt a living thing anymore.”

Buffy laughed.

“It’s true,” he defended.

“I know, that’s what’s so funny.”

He growled. “You make me so mad, slayer.”

A man on a stretcher went by, being pushed by some paramedics. He was hollering in agony. Buffy shifted her eyes away.

“I have to go,” she stated.

“Go. Forget about Spike. I’ll only be stuck here for the rest of my existence.”

“Oh please. Shut up. I’ll contact you when things have calmed down a bit. We’ll research your problem then. Where can I get a hold of you.”

“The cemetery. I’ll be at my crypt, the biggest mausoleum. Do ya know which one I mean?”

“I think. Isn’t it kinda cold and dark there?”

He lifted an eyebrow.

Buffy then said,” Oh yeah, vampire and all, must be great.”
“That it is. Got a lower-level and everything. Well, see ya there. Don’t take too long.”

She didn’t say anything more to him, and just left.

*+*+*+*

Buffy walked in a daze to Gile’s house. She tried to not think. That led to Angel, and Angel led to loss.

Another urge to run-away came over her. It wouldn’t be hard, she was already kicked out of school. There wasn’t much left to lose. Except her friends. And they meant more to her than anything. Spike had been right. What if another enemy came? They couldn’t fight it alone.

She made it to Gile’s. Calling his name, she burst inside.

“Giles, are you here!? Xander!?”

The next thing she knew, Xander came at her. “Buffy?”

“I checked the hospital, but you weren’t there. How’s Giles?”

He pointed to the stairs. “He’s sleeping. He doesn’t want to see a doctor, and I don’t blame him. Besides, all he has is some bruises.”

She nodded. “Can I go see him?”

“Yeah, he’s been sleeping for hours.”

Buffy went up to see her watcher. He seemed to sense her presence because he took that moment to open his eyes.

“Buffy.” he acknowledged.

She sat down on the bed. Reaching out, she took his hand. “How do you feel?”

“Like I just got tortured,” he answered.
She smiled. “Is that all?”

He smiled back. “I’m so glad you’re all right.”

“Well, I’m holdin together anyways.”

*+*+*+*

Spike entered his crypt. It was pitch black, and if he hadn’t been gifted with acute predator vision, he wouldn’t have been able to make anything out.

The place was bare. The only thing there was the sarcophagus. Cobwebs adorned the walls. He had forgotten how it was before being cleaned up.

Groaning, he settled on the sarcophagus. Never knew how much he became accustomed to his bed until then.

Sure hope nibblet’s recording Passions for me, he thought. It sure was boring without the television. Seeing nothing else to do, he went to sleep.

___________________________________________

Ok, this chapter kind of sucked. At least, it feels that way to me. Next one is better.