The Time Spinners

By Heather Martin

Summary- Things get a little twisted when the chip-Spike switches places with the chip-less. Can our do-gooder Spike keep Buffy and the gang from killing him? And can Buffy keep the old Spike from dancing herself back to heaven?

Rating- NC17

Disclaimer- None of the characters belong to me. They’re Joss Whedon’s property.

Spoilers- A TON for Becoming part II! Will have some from the second season to the present sixth.

This happens after Older and Far Away. It also occurs during and after Becoming part II.

Chapter 7- Opposites Attract

Synopsis/ The reason for the switcheroo is revealed./

 
February 17, 2002

Spike awoke to the aroma of waffles. He groggily sat up, and noticed that he was hungry, but not for waffles of course. He went for the liquid diet these days.

He walked into a cheerful kitchen. Willow was cooking, while Buffy got down plates and collected forks. Dawn began to pour orange juice.

“Ladies, is there anyone you don’t like?” Spike inquired. He met Buffy’s gaze. “Besides me.”

A sigh came from the slayer. “What are you getting at, Spike?”

“Just wonderin if there’s anyone you could do without. A vamps got to eat, ya know.”

She made a disgusted face. Then she went over to the refrigerator. Opening it up, she brought out a pack of blood.

Willow whispered something to Dawn. The girl nodded and then they both left the room.

Spike lifted a brow. “You’ve got it bad, woman, keeping hemoglobin for me and all.”

In silence, Buffy poured the red fluid into a mug. She popped it into the microwave. After that, she spun around.

Buffy pointed at him. “Listen here, bleached Billy Idol freak, you have no idea what I’ve been through. And you’ve been a nuisance for over a year now, following me like a lost stray. But then I came back from the dead and you were the only one who understood. The only one that made me feel alive.” Her gaze lifted. “But you, the one here now, I hate you.”

He stepped closer. He could feel her warm breath. “I may not be your soft pathetic puppy, but I know you want me. You’d like to shag me good. I can smell your arousal. Don’t deny it. I won’t lie, I’ve got a thing for you as well.” His hands came up and stroked her sides. She made no resistance. “Now, let’s find out how much you want me.” He roamed downward to her hips. She moaned in pleasure, closing her eyes. A smile played on his lips at the sight. His fingers slid between her legs.

The moment snapped. Buffy gasped. She slammed him off of her and into the island.

Buffy took out the mug from the microwave. She slammed it down on the counter. “Gulp down your fucking breakfast and then be ready to go!”
She stormed away in a rage.

*+*+*+*

Spike and Buffy burst into the magic shop, followed by Willow and Dawn. The vampire stomped out the flaming blanket that had been covering him. “Bloody hell! Slayer, we are no longer traveling during the day.”

Buffy glared. “Hopefully, ‘you’ will no longer be here for another day.”

“That’s my wish 24/7,” Xander said, coming up to them.

“Guys, move it, you’re blocking the entrance to my store. How will people buy things if they can’t get in?” Anya commanded.

The group went over to the round table. Buffy and Spike sat as far away as possible.

Xander leaned forward. “So, Buff, what’s the meeting all about? And why’s it so important that evil dead had to attend?”

“I called everyone here because of him.” She faced Spike. “Spike, tell them the whole story.”

“The ‘whole’ story?”

Clearing her throat, she said,” Maybe I should tell it.”

He smiled his famous bad-boy smile. “No worry, luv, I was only playing. I can manage.”

Nervousness came over her as he started to talk. If he said anything about. . .

“Yesterday was May 9, 1998 for me. Angelus was hopin to end the world. But, you see, I rather like this chaotic mess we live in. And I wanted Dru. So, I seeked out the slayer for some help. We’d defeat the bastard, save the planet, and I’d skip off with Dru. Things didn’t go as planned. I kicked this cop’s arse, turned around, and then things changed.” He met Buffy’s gaze. She pleaded with him to keep quiet about what happened next.

“Uh, then I was in the cemetery. I later found out it was four years ahead of time. Now, I don’t know what went on. Some hocus pocus, maybe. All I know is I can’t recall a bloody thing since 1998,” he went on.

Buffy let out a sigh of relief.

Xander pointed at Spike. “So, that is the chipless Spike?”

“What is this chip everyone speaks of?” Spike asked.

“It’s a metal instrument embedded in your brain. The thing prevents you from killing,” Willow explained.

“Right, so that’s why Dru leaves me. Well, I don’t have this little contraption in my noggin now, maybe I should go hook up with her again.”

That caught Buffy’s attention. “You fed off someone last night, didn’t you?”

“Well, yeh, that’s what vamps do.”

Xanders eyes flared with hatred. “You do know we should stake you,” he expressed.

Spike smirked. “You can try, mate.”

“Sounds like a time fold to me,” Anya informed. She had been listening from the register.

Spike shifted his gaze to the ex-demon. “An you are. . .?”

“Oh, Anya!” She showed her ring. “Xander’s proud fiancé.”

Spike laughed. “You’re marring him? You could do better, but whatever floats your boat.”

Annoyance filled Buffy. “Please go on, Anya. What is a time fold?”

“Okay, it’s like this,” Anya told them. “Two time dimensions overlap for some reason or another. Now, if two opposite experiences occur, it can create a disturbance. When this happens, time can do a flip-flop. Which means, Spike didn’t lose his memory at all, he switched places.”

“So, our Spike is in 1998?” questioned Buffy.

“Yep,” replied Anya. She looked over at Spike. “What is the very last thing that happened before being transported? What were you thinking?”

“Uh, I was . . . Looking into Buffy’s eyes,” Spike said.

“What!?” squeaked Buffy.

“Yeah, I looked into them and saw pure hatred.”

“Buffy, were you with Spike when he changed?” Willow asked.

The slayer hesitantly, confessed, “Um. . . sorta . . . Yeah.”

“So that’s it!” exclaimed Willow. “Spike must have been gazing at you in this time while the former one was doing the same.”

“But the opposite had to happen. When Spike looked at Buffy here he must have seen. . .” Dawn trailed off.

All eyes fixed on Buffy. She gulped and slumped in her chair.

“The opposite of hate is love. You love Spike!?” yelled Xander in astonishment.

Buffy clutched the arms of the chair. She wanted to die.

_______________________________________
I know I said that there would be both time periods, but I wanted to get another chapter out for you all. Next chapter will have 1998. Then after that, things get fun. ; ) Or, just let me say, I am going to enjoy writing it. Want a hint? Too bad, here’s one anyway. It involves Drusilla. *L*