The Time Spinners

By Heather Martin

Summary- Things get a little twisted when the chip-Spike switches places with the chip-less. Can our do-gooder Spike keep Buffy and the gang from killing him? And can Buffy keep the old Spike from dancing herself back to heaven?

Rating- NC17

Disclaimer- None of the characters belong to me. They’re Joss Whedon’s property.

Spoilers- A TON for Becoming part II! Will have some from the second season to the present sixth.

This happens after Older and Far Away. It also occurs during and after Becoming part II.

Chapter 6- Do I Know You?

Synopsis/ Spike and Buffy talk a little and Dru wakes up. Then in 2002, Buffy and Spike quarrel. /

 
May 9, 1998

Buffy cried herself to sleep in Spike’s embrace. She was exhausted physically, but mostly mentally, from the ordeal. She stayed that way for hours. The vampire didn’t dare move, in fear he would wake her up.

She resembled more like an angel than ever before. He’d only had the chance to truly study her during the night of the abandoned house. After that, she left without falling asleep.

Buffy’s eyes suddenly shot open. She bolted away from him in a flash. She surveyed her surroundings, searching for a weapon.

“Jumpy much, pet?” he inquired.

Disgust shifted on her face. She pointed at him. “How long was I like that?” she demanded.

He smirked. “Quite awhile, luv.”

She raised an eyebrow. “And you let me?”

“Well, yeh, you were traumatized and all.”

The life went out of her, and she deflated. “Oh my God,” she whispered. Fresh tears formed.

“Now, don’t get like that,” Spike told her. “I bet Angel, his soul, and wot not is in heaven. You only sent Angelus to hell.”

Her head lifted, fury apparent. “What do you know!?”

He shook his head. “Nuthin. Not a bloody thing about where the peaches ended up. But I know somethin about pain.”

“What, have you ever killed the one you love!?” she threw back.

He met her gaze. “No, but I had someone I love die. I . . . I couldn’t protect
. . . ‘her’.”

Buffy was taken back by his intense stare. She had no trouble finding the truth in his words.

The slayer abruptly turned away from him. “I have to go,” she declared.

Spike walked over to her and seized her arms. “I know what you’re planning on doing. You can’t run from your problems, they just follow you along.”
Her shoulders slumped. “I can’t be here. I . . . I can’t be the slayer anymore,” she whispered.

Spike let go of her. He nodded. “Okay, luv, you go have yourself a lil’ vacation. I’ll stay here and fight the good fight.”

Her eyes widened. “I can’t trust you with my friends!”

“Then don’t go. Things will go to hell without you. The scoobies can’t handle another big bad like Angelus by themselves.”

She gaped at him for a moment. “You act like you care.”

Taking out a cigarette, he noticed it was his last one. He threw the empty container to the ground. Then he lit the smoke and popped it in his mouth. “Maybe I do,” he muttered.

“My poor William,” came a voice.

Both the slayer and Spike looked over. Drusilla was standing there, beautiful as ever. Her attention was fully focused on Spike.

A sad melancholy filled her eyes. “You’re all wrong!”

Buffy gave Spike a questioning glance.

The vampire reached out to him. “I can see it. The nasty little metal inside your brain. Can’t hurt, can’t kill.” She ventured over to his side. “And you don’t want to.”

Drusilla’s expression hardened. “It’s because of her.” She twiddled her fingers around her head. “She’s fluttering all over you.”

Spike sighed. “Look, Dru, I’ll get you a nice ticket to South America. You’ll meet a chaos demon and be right happy.”

The comment was ignored. “My Spike is lost to me. There’s no getting him back,” she went on with sorrow.

“Sorry, pet,” Spike told her.

Water trickled in Drusilla’s gaze. “Our family is ruined.”

“You can go make yourself a new one, Dru.”

Drusilla nodded. Then she left. Spike watched her go. Must mean it’s dark outside, he thought. How long had they been there?

Buffy looked at him, confused. “What was that about?”

He took a drag on his cigarette. “Told you, slayer, I am from the future.”

February 16, 2002

Dawn led Spike to the living room. They both sat down on the couch. The vampire fell into an uncomfortable silence. He was really sick of this whole thing, and was extremely frustrated with having to stay at the slayer’s house.

“Well, I say you go along with your regular routine. We’ll help you out, and your memory will come back in no time,” Dawn said, optimistically.

He wasn’t sure if he wanted to remember. It seemed to him like he turned into a pathetic loser. No wonder Dru left him.

Dawn got up. She went over to the television. “I recorded Passions,” she declared.

“Huh?” Spike said.

She put her hands on her hips, and said, “Don’t tell me you don’t recall Passions.”

Popping in the video, she then settled to watch it. Spike chuckled. “A soap?”

She glared at him. “Excuse me, you’re the one who got me hooked.”

He sighed, giving in, and kept his eyes on the show. He had to admit it was rather entertaining.

Spike pointed to the screen. “What’s up with the kid?”

“Oh, that’s Timmy, he’s your fave. He used to be Tabitha’s doll until he got changed into a real boy,” Dawn explained.

Spike caught himself smiling. Was he actually having fun with a human? A teenage girl for that matter. And the uncanny thing was, he had no inclination to bite her whatsoever.

*+*+*+*

Buffy came down, finally collected. She was ready to take charge, and get this all straightened out. No more breaking down, that solved nothing.

She halted at the sight of Spike and Dawn. They were next to each other, watching TV, and eating a bowl of microwave popcorn.

A laugh escaped Spike. “That’s tellin her, Timmy!”

It was as if everything was normal. Like she would enter the room and have the vampire send her love-sick-puppy-dog looks. She would turn her head away, and ignore them. That is, until they snuck away to the kitchen.

Buffy braced herself and crept closer. She settled in the chair. “We’ll head over to the magic box first thing tomorrow,” she declared.

“How am I supposed to manage that?” Spike questioned.

“Blanket,” she informed.

“Wot!? Now, slayer, I don‘t intend to smoke just to go see your Scooby pals.”

Munching on a mouthful of popcorn, Dawn said, “Why not? You do it all the time.”

He looked horrified. “Why would I risk turning into a crispy critter just to see you lot?”
“Duh, cuz you love Buffy,” Dawn replied.

Spike gestured to Buffy and then Dawn. “First I get big sis tellin me she loves me, and now lil’ sis tells me ’I’ love her back. Did I turn to dust and end up in hell?”

Dawn grinned over at Buffy. “I knew you guys had something going on!”

A cold stare was sent in Spike’s direction. “I hate you!” Buffy stood up.

Spike got to his feet as well. They faced off. “The feelings mutual, sweetheart. You’ve ruined my unlife.”

“And you, I’m all wrong because of you.”

“Guys, I haven’t seen you fight like this in ages. Kinda missed it.” The couple turned to see Willow come in. She smiled at them.

Spike studied the witch. “Hey, you’re Buffy’s mate, right? What’s your name?”

The redhead gave him a peculiar look. “Huh? I’m Willow.”

“Willow, that’s right. Love the hair.”

Willow touched her hair. “It’s been like this for a while now, Spike. Are you feeling okay?”

“He has amnesia,” Dawn spoke up. She still had her eyes glued to Passions, and chomped on more popcorn.

Willow faced Buffy. “He can’t remember us?”

The slayer shook her head. “Well, not since 1998. That’s the cut-off date.”

Willow considered. “Think it’s a spell?”

“Could be, maybe Warren, Jonathan, and whoever the last one is did it,” Buffy suggested.
“You think? But they seem mostly interested in you, not any of the rest of us.”

Spike snapped,” There is no US! I’m not part of your little gang.”

Great, thought Buffy, he tries for a whole year to be accepted. Finally we do, and he doesn’t like it. The irony.

“Shut up, or I’ll hit you again,” Buffy warned.

“Go right ahead,” he taunted.

“Don’t provoke me.”

“Come on, baby, hit me. Hit me real hard.”

“What is it with you and violence?” Buffy asked.

Willow yawned. “Ok, you two, I say we hurry to sleep. Big day tomorrow, research and all.”

Relaxing, Buffy nodded.

“Dawn, you too,” Buffy said.

“But it’s Saturday,” Dawn whined.

“Bed, now. Besides, Spike is using the couch.”

“Am not!” he protested.

“I need you at quick grab in the morning.”

He smirked at her comment. She blushed.

When Dawn and Willow were completely gone, Buffy stated,” That’s not what I meant.”

“Maybe not, luv, but it’s what you want.”

Buffy went to the closet. She tossed him a pillow and blanket. Hard.

“Maybe,” she retorted. “But it won’t happen. Not with you anyway. You aren’t my Spike.” Her tone was sad.

She began to walk away. “Goodnight, Spike.”

She crawled into bed, and fell into a deep sleep. She dreamed about the Spike that loved her.

_____________________________________

Next one will probably be split up too (1998 and 2002). It’s gonna kind of contrast the scoobies during both times.