The Time Spinners

By Heather Martin

Summary- Things get a little twisted when the chip-Spike switches places with the chip-less. Can our do-gooder Spike keep Buffy and the gang from killing him? And can Buffy keep the old Spike from dancing herself back to heaven?

Rating- NC17

Disclaimer- None of the characters belong to me. They’re Joss Whedon’s property.

Spoilers- A TON for Becoming part II! Will have some from the second season to the present sixth.

This happens after Older and Far Away. It also occurs during and after Becoming part II.

Chapter 5- Sacrifice

Synopsis/ The battle in Becoming part II, but a little different with Spike being from the future and all./

 
May 9, 1998

Spike despised going back in the sodding wheelchair. Memories of when he was actually an invalid flooded his brain. Angelus had mocked him, making him feel weak and lower. And Dru. . . His hands clenched into fists. He no longer wanted her for a mate, but he still recalled the jealousy from back then (or rather now). His bloody grandsire had stolen his pride and love, leaving him with nothing. He snickered, thinking about how he had turned to Buffy in desperation of getting them back. Instead she ruined him, or maybe saved him, it was hard to tell now.

Cursing, he pushed himself toward where he knew Angelus would be. The things he did for the slayer. He hoped that when he got back to his Buffy she would ‘repay’ him for pretending to be crippled.

He arrived just in time to see Angelus stand up. “All right, someone get the chainsaw.”

“Now, now, let’s not lose our temper,” Spike told him.

“Keep out of it, sit n’ spin!” Angelus snapped.

It took a lot to muster enough strength not to jump up and charge him. He hated even more than he did before.

“Cut him up, you’ll never get your bleeding answers,” Spike said.

Angelus studied him with interest. “Since when did you become so level headed?”

“Right about when you became so pig-headed. If you chop him up you’ll never get the chance of destroying the world.” Spike eyed Giles. The watcher was beaten and appeared to be barely conscious. He felt pity for the man, wasn’t all that bad, Rupert. He really didn’t want to do this to him, but he couldn’t take the chance of not doing it. He had to make sure Angelus wouldn’t cut him into little pieces. “There are other ways.”

“Enlighten me.”

Spike cocked his head slightly to the side. “Drusilla? Want to play a game?” he called.

When she came up and put her hand on his shoulder, he flinched. He forced himself to relax under her cold touch.

Drusilla moved sleekly over to Giles. She knelt and began to do her hypnotizing trick. “Be in me,” she sang.
The chipped vampire watched as she played with the watcher. Gile’s face lit up with hope at seeing his dead girlfriend. “Jenny?” he said in disbelief.

Not being able to take it anymore, Spike turned his head away. This had to be the most cruel thing someone could possibly do. When Buffy died it was torture looking upon the bot, and it would have killed him to be certain the real her was back when she really wasn’t.

“Blood. Of course. The blood on my hands must be my own. I am the key that will open up the door. My blood. My life,” Angelus’ voice filled Spike’s ears. “Okay, kill him.”

Spike was jarred back into reality. “Uh, but what if he’s lying?”

“Yeah, good point. All right, don’t kill him.” Angelus leaned down closer to Spike. “You know, I kinda like having you watch my back. It’s kinda like old times.” A chuckle escaped him.

Spike gritted his teeth.

Moans of pleasure erupted from Drusilla. The vampiress was kissing Giles like there was no tomorrow.

“Stop it, Drusilla!” shouted Spike with irritation.

“Honey. . .” Angelus added.

“It’d done, you can quit now,” Spike informed.

Drusilla broke away from Giles. She looked over at the male vampires, sheepishly. “Sorry, I was in the moment.” She smiled evilly.

Giles opened his eyes in confusion. He took in the people around him and realization set in. His lips parted.

Drusilla floated over to Angelus. She wrapped her arm around him and they left the room.

Spike stayed put. Giles raised his head to meet his gaze.
“I didn’t want to do that to ya, but I couldn’t think of another way,” Spike commented.

Surprise came over Giles at the sincerity in Spike’s voice.

“Angelus woulda chopped you up, that wouldn’t do.”

Giles stared in bewilderment. “Why do you care what happens to me?”

Spike smirked. He fished into his duster for the cigarettes he nicked. “Let’s just say that I care about Buffy. And since she cares about you. . . Oh, and you treated me right nice when I was Randy.”

“What?” Giles asked, not understanding any of it.

The vampire puffed away at his cigarette. “Right, that hasn’t happened yet. But anyways, you do. And when I get the chip placed in my brain you let me stay at your nice apartment, even if it is in the bathtub. Hey, when that happens, be kind enough to let a bloke watch the telly. It took me forever to catch up on Passions.”

Giles gave Spike a look that clearly said that he must be off his rocker.

“Ok, you probably think I’m crazy, but forget all that. Buffy and the whelp are on their merry way to rescue you. Hold together and you’ll be out of here in no time.”

Spike began to wheel away. “Got to head out, action’s about to begin.”

*+*+*+*

Angelus, Drusilla, Spike, and the minions were gathered in the main room. The ritual was taking place. Spike was getting impatient as it went on. Buffy had decided not to come early.

“Now, Acathla. . .” Angelus shouted into the air.

Drusilla handed him a dagger. He took it and sliced his palm. Wincing, he dropped the blade. Blood flowed from the wound. “You will be free.”
“And so will we all.”

Out of the shadows, Buffy emerged. She came up behind one of the minions and decapitated him with a clean blow. She grinned over at Angelus. “Hello, lover.”

Irritation etched the master vampire’s features. “I don’t have time for you.”

“You don’t have a lot of time left.”

“Coming on kind of strong, don’t you think? You’re playing some deep odds here. Do you really think you can take us all on?”

“No, I don’t”

That was the cue for Spike to stand up. He grabbed an andiron from the fireplace and went at it with Angelus. He whipped the utensil hard on his back. Angelus cried out in pain.

Spike hit Angelus again. “Know what? I hate you even more than the poof.”

At that second, Drusilla jumped him. The andiron fell from Spike’s grip. He threw the psycho female off. They faced each other.

“Funny, thing, I don’t mind hurting you this time around,” he commented. He let out a small laugh, then punched her.

Her eyes widened. She grabbed him by the throat and shoved him into the wall. Spike slapped her arm aside and punched her again.

Rage ran through her. She let out a cry and swiped at him with fingernails. She created four parallel scratches across his cheek. Her fist hit him, knocking him to the floor.

The sound of rumbling filled the air.

Dru looked up and smiled. “Oh, here he comes.”

In a quick motion, Spike got to his feet. His fingers curled around her neck, squeezing. She struggled, but he was stronger. “Sorry, baby, I didn’t have to,” he stated.

Drusilla’s eyes closed. She began to fall. Spike caught her in his arms. He looked down at his devotion for 120 years. He stroked her dark hair. Strangely he still worried about her, but that was where it ended. He no longer felt the need to touch and take care of her. Was he wrong when he told Angel and Buffy love lasted forever? Or had he never really loved Dru in the first place?

Gently, Spike laid Drusilla down. Then he snapped his attention to the battle going on around him. His eyes widened as he saw Buffy. The slayer was backing into a wall. She was defenseless against the advancing Angelus.

Spike rushed to help.

Angelus pointed a sword at Buffy. A frightened expression was on her face.

“Now, that’s everything, huh? No weapons. . . no friends. . . no hope,” Angelus said.

Buffy closed her eyes, awaiting her fate.

“Take that away. . . and what’s left?” he went on.

“Me,” a voice from behind declared.

Before Angelus could react, the sword was kicked away. He blinked,
surprised, as someone threw a swing at him. He staggered, off balance.

Buffy opened her eyes to see Spike coming to her rescue. She watched in astonishment.

Angelus regained his composure. He turned to Spike. “You foolish boy, what do you think you’re doing?”

Spike punched him in the nose. He snickered. “I’m saving my girl and the world, you git!”

They fought for awhile, neither of them noticing that Acathla was waking up.

Suddenly Angelus’ legs gave out. He fell to his knees, letting out a holler. Spike stared in horror.

Buffy ran over to the men, holding her recovered sword.

Angelus’ eyes glowed a golden color and then faded. His head snapped up, vision focusing on Buffy. “Buffy?” A sob racked his body. “What’s going on?”

Spike stepped away into a corner. His heart tightened as he watched the couple’s reunion. God, she loved him so much. If only she could do the same for him. But of course he was just a monster to her.

Buffy stepped closer to Angel. He embraced her in desperation.

“Oh Buffy. . . God,” the newly souled vampire murmured. “I. . .I feel like I haven’t seen you in months.”

The slayer shut her eyes. She sighed deeply when Angel held her closer.

All of a sudden a swirling vortex erupted from the statue Acathla. It surrounded the lovers.

“What’s happening?” asked Angel.

Buffy shushed him with her fingers. “Shhh, don’t worry about it.” She fought tears. They shared a tender kiss. “I love you.”

“I love you,” he whispered back.

“Close your eyes,” she ordered.

He obeyed, not asking why.

With a quick thrust, Buffy stabbed him in the chest.

Angel’s eyes widened, aghast. “Buffy?!” His hand stretched out to her as he was sucked into the vortex.

A moment later, the room was peaceful again. The blond vampire stepped toward Buffy. She was still staring blankly where Angel had once stood.

Spike hadn’t known what took place this day. He never realized how much pain Buffy had undergone.

“Buffy?”

She didn’t respond.

“Luv, we have to go. Your mates prolly are worried.”

He came to a stop before her. She looked up at him. He was torn apart at the agony he saw. He wanted to reach out and comfort her, but restrained himself.

He got his wish, however, for she collapsed in his arms. She broke down then and sobbed.

Spike stroked her hair and whispered nonsense. He was sure she wasn’t even aware of anything, but he kept at it anyway.

___________________________________

Phew, that was a long chapter. I think it turned out quite nicely, though.

Next part, will be this time period also, I think. Buffy and Spike have a little discussion and she starts to wonder if he is telling the truth about coming from the future. Drusilla wakes up and discovers her William is not quite right.