The Time Spinners

By Heather Martin

Summary- Things get a little twisted when the chip-Spike switches places with the chip-less. Can our do-gooder Spike keep Buffy and the gang from killing him? And can Buffy keep the old Spike from dancing herself back to heaven?

Rating- NC17

Disclaimer- None of the characters belong to me. They’re Joss Whedon’s property.

Spoilers- A TON for Becoming part II! Will have some from the second season to the present sixth.

This happens after Older and Far Away. It also occurs during and after Becoming part II.

Chapter 4- What’s Right is Wrong

Synopsis/ Spike goes to Buffy in search as to what is going on. As a result, he gets a black eye and even more confused. /

 
February 16, 2002

Spike stood before a door. He braced himself and knocked. He noticed that his hand shook as he brought his cigarette up.

The door opened to reveal a young girl. She looked to be about fifteen, with long brown hair. She smiled at Spike.

He exhaled tobacco smoke. “I must have the wrong house. Looked in the phone book, but. . . “ He turned away slightly.

“Spike, what are you talking about?” demanded the girl.

He spun around. “I know you?”

A worried expression appeared on her face. “Are you all right? You are acting strange.”

He snorted and shook his head. “Not really. I can’t figure out what is bloody well going on.”

The teen opened the door wider. “Come on in and I’ll get Buffy,” she told him.

That startled him. She invited him in like it was a regular occurrence. She seemed to be acquainted with him, and he didn’t recall ever seeing her. She also acted like she lived there, which was obviously the slayer’s residence. Things were definitely not right.

Hesitating, Spike entered the house. He needed answers and there was no one else to give them.

The girl snatched his cigarette away. He gave her an annoyed look. “Hey!”

She pitched the butt outside before slamming the door. “No smoking, Buffy’s orders. Remember when you lit up at the party?”

Spike had lost it. “No, I don’t remember! I don’t remember you either for that matter!”

The girl froze in horror. “You don’t remember me? At all?” she squeaked.

Just then Buffy emerged from upstairs. Her path of vision passed right by him to the girl. “Dawn, what is going on here?”

Dawn stepped toward her sister. “Buffy, Spike has amnesia or something.”

Then Buffy gazed at him. He was taken aback at the pain he saw in her eyes. He’d seen hatred, determination, and strength in them . . . but never this. They unnerved him so much that he couldn’t meet them.

“What?” Buffy softly said. She sounded worn out.

“Yeh, I have something like that. Can’t recall a bleeding thing since I knocked that cup out,” he replied.

“You knocked a police officer out?” Dawn turned toward Buffy. “That had to be before the chip, right?”

Buffy grabbed the railing of the stairs. “That would have to be over two years ago.”

“That’s right, pet. May 9, 1998,” Spike informed.

“Oh my God, that was the day Acathla awakened.”

He became intrigued. “Angelus actually managed to do it.”

A nod was sent from Buffy. “But I stopped it from sucking the world in.” After a pause, she added,” You helped some.”

He rose an eyebrow. “Plan worked then? Me and Dru skipped town?”

“Yeah, not a lot of good it did you, though.”

“What do you mean?” he demanded.

Buffy sighed. She moved her hand, indicating their surroundings. “Do you see the hoe around anywhere?”

His head sprang up to settle in her direction. He shot forward, snatching her wrist. She gasped in surprise.

“Don’t talk about Drusilla that way!” he said with malice.

He longed for Buffy to hit him. That way he could let out his anger at his whole world turning upside down in an instant, by swinging back. Instead, Buffy said, “I’m sorry. . . I.”

Spike let go of her with puzzlement. What was wrong with her? This wasn’t the slayer he knew.

Well if she wouldn’t make the first move, he would. He struck her in the face. Her eyes widened.

He stepped back, gesturing her to come at him. “Give me all you got, slayer.”

She shook her head.

He punched her again.

A transformation took place. Buffy’s expression hardened, and she stood straighter. She back-handed his cheek, sending his head whipping to the side.

Spike grinned at her. “That’s my girl.” She didn’t disagree with it, and he didn’t process the words he spoke.

“Let’s go outside,” she suggested.

Dawn followed them into the night. She stayed back, watching them fight. She had never witnessed them in combat before.

Buffy head-butted him. Then she twisted avoiding his swing.

He grabbed her, shoving her to the grass. She bounced back up to her feet.

Spike sent a kick. She evaded it by jumping over his leg. Then she twirled around with a kick of her own. Her foot made contact with his side.
He blocked a punch from her. He smirked. “Gotten better, luv.”

She smiled back. “You’ve gotten worse.” With that, she swept her leg, toppling him to the ground. She straddled him, pinning his arms down.

All of a sudden Buffy started to hit him across the face over and over.

“How dare you do this right when I admitted I loved you!”

Punch.

“I thought I could trust you to always be there!”

Punch.

“I came back wrong and you’re the only thing that makes me right!”

Another punch.

“I can’t feel without you, God damnit!”

Tears fell as she hit him one more time. Then she comprehended the bruise created by her fist. It was right where the other one had been, below his eye.

Buffy recoiled. She scrambled off him, staring with dread. “I promised myself never to hurt you again,” she murmured.

Spike lifted himself slightly, wincing.

“I hurt you too much. I didn’t want to do it again.” Her voice cracked. She gave him a sad look and headed back to the house.

Dawn came over. “Spike?”

He squinted up at her.

She helped him stand. “Why did you start that?” she inquired.

He snickered. “Guess I wanted to right the world. All it did was screw it up some more.”

With Dawn’s aid, he made it back inside.

_____________________________

This did not come out the way I intended it to. The fight scene just sort of happened. Is it good, or no?

Next part is set in 1998. It goes along with Becoming Part II, except for some slight changes due to Spike being from the future.