The Time Spinners

By Heather Martin

Summary- Things get a little twisted when the chip-Spike switches places with the chip-less. Can our do-gooder Spike keep Buffy and the gang from killing him? And can Buffy keep the old Spike from dancing herself back to heaven?

Rating- NC17

Disclaimer- None of the characters belong to me. They’re Joss Whedon’s property.

Spoilers- A TON for Becoming part II! Will have some from the second season to the present sixth.

This happens after Older and Far Away. It also occurs during and after Becoming part II.

Chapter 3- Hallow Depth

Synopsis/ Buffy is very upset about her life. Meanwhile, Spike discovers something just isn’t right about Sunnydale. /

February 15, 2002

It was like Buffy had turned to stone. She stared blankly at the ceiling, stolid. Coldness swept through her body. She was lost, the path darkened by shadows.

Suddenly, Buffy rolled over. She scrunched up into a fetus-position.

Ever since coming back, she found a flicker of heaven here on earth. Spike. He could make her feel. Not pain, suffering, and void. But contentment, as if everything is as it should be. And that was gone now. There wasn’t anything left to hang on to.

Buffy Summers wanted to die. Instead she closed her eyes and fell into a restless, dreamless slumber.

February 16, 2002

Tara stepped up to the Summers’ door. She nervously knocked on it. She waited for a moment before the wood opened to reveal Dawn.

“Hi, Dawnie, is Buffy home? I thought we could go to the movies. You can come too, if you want,” Tara explained.

The teen was angry, that much was clear. “She’s not here. It was supposed to be sister-quality-time day. But, I guess she had to bail.”

“Oh, she probably got detained,” Tara soothed.

A glare was shot from Dawn. “Right, every night,” she snapped. “It’s almost two in the afternoon now, she left at eight yesterday. That’s eighteen hours! I don’t even consider this her home anymore! Why she comes back at all is beyond me!”

Tara frowned. “If you’re lonely, the two of us can go out.”

Dawn shook her head. “Don’t worry about me, I’m fine.” After saying that, she slammed the door.

So much for having a friendly outing. Dawn wasn’t the only one lonely. It were times like these when she missed Willow terribly.

Tara began to walk down the road.

She knew where Buffy was. She wasn’t judgmental, if Buffy wanted to be with Spike, so be it. But the slayer seemed to be oblivious to how it affected others. Spending time with a boyfriend, or girlfriend, was good to a certain extent, but it can’t monopolize all of it. Especially when you have a fifteen year-old sister and addicted friend to look after.

To Tara’s total astonishment, Buffy came into view. She didn’t seem to notice Tara even being there, and was about to pass the other girl.

“Buffy?” Tara asked.

Buffy stopped. She blinked a couple times, coming out of her daze. She looked horrible, blood-shot eyes, and rumpled hair and clothes.

“Tara?” Her voice was a only a whisper.

The witch nodded. “Yeah. We’ll get you inside. You can wash up . . . and if you want . . . you can tell me what’s wrong.

Buffy didn’t answer, only let Tara lead her home.

Dawn was locked in her room when they arrived. Buffy went to the bathroom to take a shower. Tara picked out a tight purple shirt and black pants for her to wear afterward. The slayer took a long time to clean herself. Tara was beginning to get worried, and wondered if she should check on her friend, when Buffy emerged wrapped in a towel. She handed over the outfit and left to give privacy.

A few moments later, Buffy came out of her room. She appeared to be slightly better, but her eyes were still red.

“You can come in,” Buffy informed.

Tara smiled. She went in and sat on the bed. She lifted a stuffed pig lying next to the pillow. “Cute,” she commented.

“Yeah, that’s Mr. Gordo.”

The pig was placed back in its original spot. Then Tara directed her gaze back at Buffy. There was a lingering silence.

“They always leave,” Buffy squeaked, breaking the quiet.
Tara’s eyes widened. “Spike left town?”

Buffy shook her head.

“Th . . . Then, I don’t u-understand.”

The slayer fiddled with her fingers. “Just me. He left me.”

Tara stood up. “What happened?” she questioned with concern.

“I told him I loved him,” Buffy confessed. She stared at the floor.

Tara’s heart went out to her. “Oh, Buffy.”

“I don’t understand it. He got furious. He started talking about Drusilla, and how he only wanted to fight me.” She met Tara’s gaze. “What he said really didn’t make sense. But it all led to one thing. He doesn’t love me. He only loves pain. I said that once to him, before the first time we. . . I was a fool to actually think a souless demon like him could feel.”

Tara took a step forward. “You know that’s not true. I’ve seen him. He’d do anything for you. He was willing to die for you.”

Tears rolled down Buffy’s face. She couldn’t hold them in anymore. She started to tremble. “Then why was he going to kill me?”

Horror came over Tara. “He was going to k. . . kill you? Are you sure?”

“He was about to bite me, drain me dry. But he quit at the last second, and ran away.”

“Do, do you think the chip malfunctioned? It may have had something to do with him loving you, and then when it stopped working. . .”

Buffy cried harder. Tara gave her a comforting hug.

“Everything that has ever given me any joy has been taken away. Why, Tara, why?” Buffy choked.

There was no answer to that. The slayer gave all she had to defeat evil. And what was her reward?

*+* +* +*

Spike had gone back to the mansion to find it empty. At first he found it odd that Angelus and Drusilla weren’t there. Then it dawned on him. They skipped town together.

In a rage, he hit the wall a couple times. Blood flowed from his hand, and down his arm. He laughed at himself, then slid to the floor.

Damn Angel! And damn Buffy for turning him back into Angelus!

He discovered that the sun had come up when he tried to leave. He was stuck there until dusk. He hated the slayer more than ever, made him waste the night away. Now he would have to wait hours until he could eat.

Finally he was able to go. He hung around the Bronze, hoping a tasty morsel would come out. A red-head exited. Spike didn’t rather like red hair, but when your appetite was as large as his was then, you couldn’t be choosy.

The girl wasn’t bad looking. She had on a sexy tank-top, and a very short skirt. Usually, Spike would play with his food. Not tonight. He dove.

A cry escaped the girl. She struggled in his grip. He roughly tilted her head, exposing her neck. He sunk his teeth in, tearing at the vein. He sucked in the coppery fluid. It was hot on his tongue, and soothed his throat on the way down.

After filling himself with an ample amount of blood, he dropped the dead girl. Her body hit the concrete with a thump.

Spike wiped his mouth. His human mask slipped back on. “Mmmm, that was refreshing,” he muttered.

*+*+*+*

Willy’s bar was packed. Spike ordered a whiskey and sat down to drink it. With a full stomach, and alcohol to get drunk, he was feeling pretty good. He ignored the other demons as he tipped the bottle back.

“Yo, Spike, haven’t seen you in awhile,” the bartender said.

Spike rolled his eyes. He wished he could be left alone. “Yeh, Dru and I have been busy.”

Willy’s eyes got bigger. “You and Dru? I thought you gave up on her. Besides, don’t you have a thing for Buffy now?”

Anger shot through Spike. He slammed his fist down on the counter. “It was only one night, and I don’t know how it happened! I was asking her for help, the next. . . And now Dru’s gone off with Angelus.”

Willy held up his hands. “Look, didn’t mean to get you upset. Why don’t you go on home? I think you’re smashed.”

A demon walked in. He looked human except for the green scales on the sides of his face. He made his way over to the bleached vampire.

“Why if it isn’t the chip off the old block.” He chuckled at this pun. “You’re getting as pathetic as your souled sire.”

Spike turned to face the demon. He recognized it from the Wonke species, very smart, but not very strong. He fixed his gaze, cold and unwavering.

“You have a lot of nerve showing up her. Do you know how many kittens you owe me?” the Wonke went on.

Abruptly, Spike charged at the demon. He banged the Wonke against a table, snatching his throat.

“I’m nothing like the poof with a soul. And I owe you nothing!” Spike was seething.

Fear showed on the Wonke. “Okay, you aren’t pathetic. You can kill me with one snap. Those felines, forget about them.”

Spike threw the demon across the room. He hit the wall hard.

Spike grabbed his purchase. “Think you’re right, mate, I’m leaving,” he told Willy. Then he staggered out of the joint.

He traveled through the darkened town, drinking on the way. The place seemed deserted. He passed a store window, glancing at it. Heart stickers and red lettering decorated the glass. He did a double-take. They were way slow on taking things down, last time he checked it was May, long past Valentine’s Day.

The vampire eyed the empty bottle in his hand. He tossed it at the store window.

A few moments later, he came across a marquee. He halted in horror. The sign said: Extreme Blow Out Sale, February 22. What the fuck was going on?

____________________________________

I meant to post this on Monday, but was loaded down with homework. Sorry about that. Hope it was worth the wait.

Next chapter is going to be in present time also. Spike pays the slayer a visit, and is confused to find a teenage girl who seems to know him.