The Time Spinners

By Heather Martin

Summary- Things get a little twisted when the chip-Spike switches places with the chip-less. Can our do-gooder Spike keep Buffy and the gang from killing him? And can Buffy keep the old Spike from dancing herself back to heaven?

Rating- NC17

Disclaimer- None of the characters belong to me. They’re Joss Whedon’s property.

Spoilers- A TON for Becoming part II! Will have some from the second season to the present sixth.

This happens after Older and Far Away. It also occurs during and after Becoming part II.

Chapter 19- Back to Life, Back to Reality

Synopsis/ Life is as it should be. /

February 21, 2002

The first thing Spike became aware of was the warmth. It surrounded him in all directions. He didn’t think he had ever been that warm, not even when he was human. The feeling was overwhelming, yet also comforting. He was afraid to open his eyes, to find out what was causing this immense heat. But then he felt something move against him, and the temperature dropped. The warmth was still there, but no longer as strong. He mustered strength and looked.

The form of Buffy greeted him. Her golden hair lay on the pillow. It was slightly wavy, and long, that was the part that got him. What was going on? Last time he checked she had cropped her locks to the shoulders. Had he ended up in a different time than the present again?

Spike started to sit up, but was pushed back down. Buffy’s arm wrapped around him. “Were you going somewhere?”

“Buffy, what’s going on?” he questioned. He surveyed his surrounding. He was in her room.

She snuggled closer. “Huh? You sound as if something is wrong,” she murmured.

He sighed. “Not wrong exactly, Just, not the way I remember things. And your hair . . .”

She brought a hand up to her head. “Do I have bed-hair?”

“No, luv, it’s beautiful, but . . .”

Becoming alert, she asked, “What is the time?”

He glanced over at the digital clock. Glowing red numbers were displayed. “5:25,” he replied.

A groan escaped her. “Guess it’s time for you to leave. Sunrise and everything. I’d love for you to stay, but that wouldn’t go over well. My mom likes you a lot, but not enough to be okay with finding you in my bed.”

His eyes widened. Joyce?

Buffy surprised him by leading him to the window. She gave him a quick kiss. “Love you, see you at patrol,” she told him. Then she opened the window.

Totally confused, Spike left the Summers’ house. He climbed down the tree to the ground. He glanced back up at Buffy’s room, seeing her smile after him before turning away.

This had to be a dream, he thought. Something went wrong, and he was unconscious. That had to be it. Buffy would never act this way otherwise. Even if he wasn’t in reality, he could sense morning approaching. He hurried toward his crypt, not taking any chances on the ‘if you die in a dream, you die for real’ theory. Even if that wasn’t likely to apply to vampires.

*+*+*+*

After a deep sleep, Spike awoke, with two hours before dusk. He downed a packet of blood, then sat down. Time for his Buffy mind invasion. First, he pictured every feature that made her up. After that, he imagined touching her soft skin. Flashes of them in the abandoned house, the Bronze, his crypt, behind the Doublemeat Palace, and in the DeSoto went through his brain. Wait a sec . . . the DeSoto? When did that happen?

Flashback =>

Both blonds sat in the darkened, stolid DeSoto. Spike’ s arm was wrapped around Buffy. Her face showed that she was upset.

“I knew he was going to leave. We had the whole ‘Our lives are taking different paths’ talk. But he just left. No goodbyes. He stood there amongst the ambulances, looked at me, and then walked away,” Buffy told him.

His hold tightened around her. “I guess he thought there was nothing left to say. Or, that it would only make things harder.”

She looked up at him. “We aren’t together anymore, but we’re friends. He didn’t tell me where he was going. Friends are supposed to keep in touch.”

“I think peaches will never see you as a friend.”

A sigh escaped her. “I didn’t think he’d go so abruptly. He fought at the school, then walked away right after.”

“I’m sorry, Buffy.” He meant it, even if he was glad Angel was gone, he hated that it hurt Buffy.
She surprised him by crawling on his lap in the driver’s seat. He gave her a questioning look. Her warm fingers held his face, and she stared deeply into his blue eyes.

“Spike, will you ever leave me like Angel” she whispered.

“Never, luv, I’m here to stay whether you want me or not,” he answered.

A tender smile spread on her lips. “Good.” She leaned forward, to his ear. “And, I do want you.”

The next thing he knew, she was kissing him. Arousal built inside them both. Her hands roamed places that could only lead to naughty things. They laughed when she bumped the steering-wheel and the horn went off.

End Flashback=>

Spike stood up. He ran a hand through his slicked-back hair. This wasn’t right. He wasn’t around when Angel left Sunnydale. Was he? His mind was a jumbled mess, and he couldn’t sort it out.

Just then the creak of the door filled his ears. His head snapped to the side. Buffy came in, smile brightening her features. It fell when she noticed his grim expression.

“What is it?” She was close now. She gazed at him with concern.

“Buffy, did we ever have a serious discussion in my car?” He had to be assured he wasn’t going crazy with false memories.

She took his hand in hers. It was such a sweet gesture. “Many. Are you talking about a certain one?”

Many? “About Angel, after he left,” he confirmed.

The words brought a sparkle to her eyes. “That was when I realized I loved you. I didn’t say it right then, but that was when I knew.”

“So, it was real?” He shook his head in disbelief.

Squeezing his hand tighter, Buffy asked, “Spike, you all right?”

“You know about the time fold?”

She nodded. “That was all most four years ago.”

“Last night, it was like I just came out of it. And now my memories are contradicting themselves. I recall being with Dru in Brazil, and being here instead. It’s all confusing.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. “So, before last night you were in the mansion during 1998?”

“From my perspective.”

She stroked his cheek. “I’m pretty sure everything will come to you. It’ll be okay, and all of it will make sense.”

He placed his hand over hers. “This isn’t a dream, is it?”

Her gentle appearance overwhelmed him. She was looking at him with so much emotion. It was a miracle, something he had been sure would never occur.

“No, this is really happening,” she answered, softly.

He felt as if he might cry. She loved him, he could see it on her face.

*+*+*+*
Days passed. Time fixed itself for him, with the help of Buffy. He could remember what happened before, and this time around. It was weird, and he often wished he only knew the current one. But, it let him realize how lucky he was. Life now, or unlife, had turned out way better.

Joyce Summers caught her tumor right away. She was in good health, busy keeping Dawn in-line. Spike was always welcome, sharing Passions and cocoa with her.
Spike never got a chip. He had been with Buffy instead of having his brain get cut up by the Initiative. And it didn’t matter, human blood was nothing compared to Buffy.

The battle with Glory went differently. They got there earlier. Spike was prepared with a giant axe. When he made it up the tower, he surprised Doc by slicing his head clear off before he could even react. Then he untied Dawn, unharmed without even a scratch.

Things were not perfect, however. Giles still left, which crushed his slayer. Xander left Anya at the alter. Tara and Willow were broken up. The addiction with magic was an issue for Willow. The three nerds were after them. But in the middle of it all, Buffy and Spike held on to each other, and tried to help their friends as well. Which they were Spike’s friends also now, finally accepting him.

*+*+*+*

Joyce and Dawn went out to a movie, leaving the house empty for Buffy and Spike. They went up to her room and sat on the bed.

Spike took Buffy’s hands. “I will always be a vampire. I can never give you the sun, or have children with you,” he said.

A look of panic came over her. “Spike, don’t leave me! That doesn’t matter, we can get through that.”

He shushed her with his fingers, covering her mouth. His other hand came up, clutching a box. He opened the lid, revealing a sparkling diamond ring. “My thoughts exactly, luv.”

With that, she threw her arms around him and laughed.

_______________________________________

Oh my gosh, I’m done! Hope you all enjoyed it. Thanks for the fantastic reviews.

*Sigh* I feel so jipped that I missed Entropy yesterday. Forgot about Daylights savings time. Bad me.

Well, guess I should try to finish my other four fanfics: Day and Night, The Moon’s Sun, Paradox, and Definition of Suffering. *shakes head* I start too many stories.