The Time Spinners

By Heather Martin

Summary- Things get a little twisted when the chip-Spike switches places with the chip-less. Can our do-gooder Spike keep Buffy and the gang from killing him? And can Buffy keep the old Spike from dancing herself back to heaven?

Rating- NC17

Disclaimer- None of the characters belong to me. They’re Joss Whedon’s property.

Spoilers- A TON for Becoming part II! Will have some from the second season to the present sixth.

This happens after Older and Far Away. It also occurs during and after Becoming part II.

Chapter 17- Planning

Synopsis/ The scoobies plan on how to right the time fold./

February 20, 2002

The witches were assembling the space for their spell casting spot. It was in the training room, to avoid freaking out customers. Buffy took Spike’s arm and pulled him aside. “I finished it,” she whispered, handing him a piece of paper.

He rose an eyebrow. “Didn’t take long, luv,” he commented.

She messed with a strand of her hair. “Well, I uh, knew exactly what to put.”

Unfolding the letter, Buffy’s handwriting in blue ink filled his vision. He was surprised to see that there were only three things listed. He read them.

1. Make sure my mom goes to the doctor for a check-up regularly. If she begins to have intense headaches, it may be more than just that.

2. Glory is Ben. Doc doesn’t die so easily, watch for him on the tower. And if someone dies from a big ball of light, let them stay that way.

3. Help me love again. This is more challenging than you may think.

Spike lifted his gaze. He smiled at her. “I’ll see what I can do,” he told her.

Buffy took his hand and squeezed it. “Thank-you, Spike.”

“Okay, let’s start the spell before this gets too mushy for my taste.”

Buffy rolled her eyes at him. She released his hand, and they went over to Willow and Tara.

Willow looked over. “We’re almost ready,” she informed.

“So, how does this work, Glinda and Sabrina?” Spike inquired.

Tara finished setting up the candles. “You’ll be able to talk to yourself through telepathy. Set up what you both will do that is the same.”

“Okay, but can it be anything? I mean, could we both watch Monty-Python?”

“It-It’s a little more complicated that that.”

“Swell. I think I need a bit of explaining to,” he commented.

Intently, Buffy perked up for a response. She was curious as how this would work. It sounded like it was going to be harder than she thought from their previous conversation.

“Okay,” Willow spoke up. “This whole thing started from you, in different times looking into Buffy’s eyes. You went through two totally opposite experiences. Well, to right the fold, you have to be ‘exactly’ the same. You have to feel and experience identical things. If you, for instance, both drunk hot chocolate, one might accidentally burn his tongue. A movie might be interrupted. Not to mention, a scene might be hilarious to one, and not to the other, because you’ve changed. We have to figure out something that will certainly cause the same reaction.”

Dread filled Buffy’s heart. “Is it even possible?”

A snicker escaped Spike. They all stared at him. “Both of me could feed off the same person. Though, that wouldn’t work cuz of the chip.”

The slayer glared at him. “You’re disgusting.”

“I was only kidding,” he defended.

“Sure,” she muttered.

Willow frowned. “I hope you were. Besides, wouldn’t work. If a person is killed back then . . .” She turned to Tara. “This is confusing. Would they exist here?”

Tara considered that a moment. “I-I think the times act separately until the time warp is fixed. Isn’t that what the book said?”

A sudden huge grin formed on Spike’s mouth. “I’ve got it!”

“What is it?” Buffy asked, eagerly.

“I’m not sure if 1998 Buffy would like, though,” Spike replied.

“Okay,” but what is it?”

He wiggled an eyebrow at her suggestively.

“Ewww, Spike! You have such a dirty. . .” Buffy paused. Then her eyes widened. “Wait, that might actually work.”

Confusion crossed Tara and Willow’s expressions. “We’re sort of in the dark over here, guys,” Willow told them. Tara nodded her head.

“Well, Spike had in mind that . . .”

“We shag,” Spike interrupted.

There was a long silence. Finally Tara said, “Oh.”

“Yeah, oh,” Willow stated. “Yes, that probably will work.”

They didn’t notice Anya come in. She smiled broadly. “That will definitely work. Orgasms give a happy no matter what. You’ll get back to 1998 for sure.”

Buffy sighed. “What do you want Anya?”

“Nothing. I just was checking up on you in here. And to take note on what you took for the spell. These are sellable merchandise, you know.” Anya crossed her arms, examining the circle of white candles.

“Don’t worry, I’ll pay for them,” Willow offered.

Anya’s eyes twinkled with bliss. “Well, then go ahead. Take more if need be!” she exclaimed. After that, she left the room.

Shaking her head, Tara said, “That girl and money.”

“I don’t see how the former Buffy is gonna agree to this. She hates Spike,” Willow informed.

“Don’t worry, I’ll convince her . . . Uh me,” Buffy said.

Spike was doubtful. “How you gonna manage that, luv?”

She smiled. “I’ll do the contact thingy too.” Seeing he still was unsure, she added,” Don’t worry, I got some ideas on how to convince myself.:

“I hope you know what you’re doing, luv.”

“It’ll work, trust me.”

May 15, 1998

Being in a dusty old crypt, with no television, proved to be absolutely unbearable. There was nothing Spike could think of to do. He’d already swept the cemetery, killing a measly three vamps. If he was at his real home, Roswell would be on. Not the best show (he didn’t go for aliens much), but better than sitting around doin nothing. Or he could be reading one of his novels. But instead, he was stuck here in a dark, dank, hole with nothing except cobwebs, dirt, and an ancient sarcophagus. Very gloomy and lonely.

So, he decided to get out. There aren’t many choices in Sunnydale for entertainment, especially for a vampire. It was basically Willy’s bar or the Bronze. He picked the Bronze. This way even if he had no money, which he didn’t, he could at least sit down to listen to the band. They could never compare to the Sex Pistols, but some were safe to hear without harming your eardrums.

The club blared with a female singer. Spike preferred rockin males, but at least he was out of the crypt. His eyes fell to the drink counter longingly. He wished he had played kitten poker before coming. He was contemplating nicking someone for a few bucks, when she hit his vision. He froze, watching her laugh at something Willow said. He hadn’t even thought about how any of the scoobies might be there too.

He was about ready to go over to Buffy when he saw some twerp go over and talk to her. A growl built up in his throat when they moved onto the dance floor. Anger grew when the guy’s gaze fell to her bouncing chest. Spike stood up, prepared to go plummel the jerk, forgetting he even had a chip. The song ended and the dancing couple parted.

Buffy turned and spotted the approaching vampire. “Spike,” she greeted.

Spike eyed the guy until he was lost in the crowd. Then he looked at Buffy. “Who was that?”
She smiled. “Jealous?” she teased.

“No,” he lied.

“Yes you are. It’s so cute,” she said.

“The big bad is not cute!” Inwardly he was glad. She thought he was cute. Okay, sounded like a word Dawn would use for one of those Backstreet Boys, but at least she wasn’t calling him a pig.

“He only wanted to dance,” Buffy assured him. She smiled. “You can too . . . if you want.”

Spike took her arm and swept her into the moving mass of people. Watching her sway with the music, he was reminded of the first time he saw her. She had been so delicious, literally then. Now, she was still that way, but in a different way. Instead of draining her life away, he wanted to taste her sweet lips. He wanted to caress her supple body.

The dance was over too quickly. Buffy led him over to Willow. The red-head seemed very nervous with Spike’s presence. She kept giving Buffy looks to show her how uncomfortable she was. Buffy returned them with reassuring ones of her own.

“We found a little bit of info on time travel today,” Buffy announced.

Spike leaned back in his seat. “Really? Anything useful?”

Willow realized by Buffy’s eyes that she was supposed to talk. Maybe is was supposed to set her at ease if she talked to him. She didn’t think it’d work. She felt as if she would always remember how wild the vampire had been. He had fed on violence, that of the innocence.

“Uhhhh . . . well . . . “ Willow began.

Spike smirked. “Scared, Red?”

She shook her head.

He knew she really was. “So my chip doesn’t make you trust me? Didn’t expect it to. I very much doubt the slayer would let me take a bite out of you. Relax a bit.”

She nodded. “Oh . . . kay.”

Buffy touched Willow’s arm. “He’s right, Willow, I wouldn’t let anything happen to you. I’m right here.”

A small smile formed on Willow’s lips. “I know. Thanks, Buffy,” She faced Spike. “We found a story about someone who went into the past. But it was from a spell.”

“It might well have been. Maybe those nerd wankers. They’ve been messin with Buffy’s life now for months. Why they’d want to do anything to me though. . .” Spike informed.

“Nerds?” Buffy questioned, confused.

Spike didn’t get a chance to answer. That was when the voice came over him. It was strange, almost like when Willow talked to him at the tower, in his mind. “Hey there, mate,” it said.

Spike’s head shot up. He surveyed the Bronze. “Who are you? Where are you?” he demanded.

The girls across the table stared at him. “Who are you talking to?” Buffy asked.

Ignoring her, Spike added, “Well, answer up, you git!”

There was a chuckle. “Settle down. I’m you.”

Spike’s eyes widened. “Me? Great, I’m goin mad, hearin voices, let alone my own.”

Buffy was worried now. “Spike, are you all right?”

“No, someone’s talking to me,” he replied.
She frowned. “No one else is around our table, Spike.”

“I know.”

“You aren’t crazy, mate,” the voice said. “I’m you, in 2002.”

Spike was panicking now. “What? How can you be there, and me be here? Don’t tell me I never left or something.”

“There’s been a time fold. I’m you from 1998, but now in 2002,” 2002 Spike explained.

“So, you belong here, and me there, right?” 1998 Spike inquired.

“Right you are. So, we have to switch back. And it so happens we, the scoobies here, have come up with a plan.”

“I knew the scoobies became more essential over time. All we found here is some lousy story. So, let’s hear the plan.”

“The whole thing started by us feelin the complete opposite. To undo this, we have to feel the same.”

“Sounds about right. So what is our course of action?”

There was a pause. “We shag our lovely lady love.”

“That would be Dru for you, right? Might have some trouble with that. She’s currently who knows where.”

“Not a problem. Buffy and I have gotten quite cozy.”

Spike growled. He knew what he was like before. Before the chip he had dreamed numerous times about raping the slayer. “If you . . .”

“Calm down, she was very willing.”

“You son of a bitch!”

“My my my, at least you’re not a total poof, after all. Remember, I’m you, so it’s not like someone else took your woman. Besides, I love her.”

“What? I would have never said that before the chip. If this is somebody playing mind games with me . . .”

“I am you. And you did love Buffy before the chip, you just didn’t know it. I didn’t want to, but some certain occurrences forced me to. I was gonna kill her, I was. But, couldn’t She’s too beautiful.”

Spike looked across at the concerned Buffy there. “I know. And brave, strong, caring smart, feisty . . .”

“Shut up, don’t need the list. Let’s get this over with so I can get home.”

“Love to. But there’s one problem, how? This Buffy isn’t gonna jump into the sack with me.”

That did it. Buffy stood up. “What the hell is going on!? Who are you talking to?”

He smirked. “Me, luv.”

She raised an eyebrow. “You’re having a conversation with yourself?”

“Yeh.”

“Well, you’re right, I’m ‘not’ jumping into the sack with you.”

The Spike in 2002 couldn’t hear Buffy, but he could hear 1998 Spike, and knew that she was wanting to know what was up. “We got it covered. I’m gonna disconnect now. Buffy is gonna do the same thing I am doing to herself there. Don’t know how, but she says she can get her to cooperate.”

“If you say so. Nice talkin to ya.”

“You too, mate. Whatever you do, don’t turn into Angel.”

“No fuckin way!”

There was a chuckle from 2002 Spike. Then he was gone, and all that was left in Spike’s head were his thoughts of the situation at hand.

*+*+*+*

Buffy stared at Spike, fearing he had gone nuts. He acted like he was hearing voices. Beside her, Willow reciprocated the feeling.

Suddenly, the vampire seemed to snap back into reality. “Okay, I’m done with all that now.”

“Spike, what just happened?” Buffy asked.

“My past self, that’s now in the future, contacted me. Better collect yourself, the Buffy there is going to do the same.” He smiled at her, and snatched a cheesy fry from the batch she ordered.

She became nervous. “I’m going to get the same deal?”

“Yeh.”

Buffy shook her head. “No, thank-you.”

His mouth fell to a line. “Don’t have a choice, slayer.”

“Look, that gave me the wiggins seein you talk to some invisible person. I don’t wann . . .”

“Hello, Buffy,” someone said. It pounded in her head. Her eyes widened.

“Oh God!” Buffy exclaimed.

The red-head next o her touched her arm. “Buffy, you okay?”

“Not really, Will, I just heard my own voice in my mind.”

“It’s okay, luv. Talk to her,” Spike told her.
Buffy let out a humorous laugh. “Hey there, is this really me?”

“Yeah, kinda funky, I know,” 2002 Buffy expressed.

“Buffy. . . weird to call someone my own name, even if it is myself. Anyways, I need your help. Spike created a time fold thingy, which switched his past self with the present. Now, there’s a way to stop it, but you’re gonna have to do something.”

“What do I need to do?” Slayer mode set in. She was ready for anything.

“We have to sleep with Spike.”

Except that. “What!?”

“It’s the only way. And, it’s not that bad. In fact, he’s quite good, very good. You’ll enjoy it.”

“You’ve already done it?” Buffy squeaked. She clutched the edge of the table.

“Several. I uh . . . love him.”

She loved him? A vampire? Without a soul. Who tried to kill her. “How can you?” she asked. But she knew, because she cared for him already. She didn’t love him, but she liked him a whole lot. He’d saved her life.

“Spike never left me like the others. He’s my complete equal, and he always tells me the truth. He never expects anything from me except to be myself. He’d do anything for Dawn or me. It took a while for me to admit it, but I love him. Now, please, will you do this? I want . . . I need him back.”

Buffy shifted in her seat. “I don’t know. Angel . . . And it was only a few days ago that Spike wanted to us. I don’t know . . .”

2002 Buffy was silent for a while. She remembered the pain from before. She’d loved Angel so much. How could she expect herself then to screw Spike? “We’ll find another way,” she whispered.
1998 Buffy gazed over at Spike. He was licking cheese off his fingers. She glanced down at the plate to see he cleaned it off. She couldn’t help but smile. A vampire that savored food. He was so human, and she could almost forget he was not. ’You teat me like a man and that’s. . .’ He would one day say those words to her, and they were true.

“No, I’ll do it,” she blurted.

“Are- are you sure?”

“Yes, I’ll do it.”

“Thank-you.” Then the 2002 Buffy was gone.

Buffy met Spike’s eyes. “So, where do you wanna do this?”

He only smirked in reply.

____________________________________________________________

That is the longest chapter I have ever written. I’m so relieved it is completed. Well, guys, this story is almost done. Yay! Only two more chapters, I’m thinking. Next one is going to have TONS of sex, so beware of major NC17.