The Time Spinners

By Heather Martin

Summary- Things get a little twisted when the chip-Spike switches places with the chip-less. Can our do-gooder Spike keep Buffy and the gang from killing him? And can Buffy keep the old Spike from dancing herself back to heaven?

Rating- NC17

Disclaimer- None of the characters belong to me. They’re Joss Whedon’s property.

Spoilers- A TON for Becoming part II! Will have some from the second season to the present sixth.

This happens after Older and Far Away. It also occurs during and after Becoming part II.

Chapter 16- Come What May

Synopsis/ The scoobies react to a healthy Spike from the future. In 2002, Willow discovers how to solve their problem./

May 14, 1998 (early morning)

The scoobies all kept a wary eye on him. He pulled away from Buffy, knowing what they thought. He got to his feet, straightening himself.

“Tell us, why did we just save your ass?” Xander inquired, coldly.

“Bloody hell. Makes me wish the pixie, Nibblet, and even demon girl were here. They’d back me up.”

Buffy stood up next to him. She was ready to defend him if necessary. Especially against Xander, who appeared as if he would leash out at any second. Willow seemed suspicious and unsure.

“Uh, Spike . . .” Giles took a moment to clean his glasses. “Buffy tells us you have some sort of chip.”

“Yeh.” Spike tapped his temple. “A gift from the Initiative. Can’t hurt a single human. So, you all don’t have to worry about the big bad taking a bit.”

“Yes, but I think we’d feel a little safer if we saw this uh . . . chip work,” the watcher commented.

A smirk came to Spike’s lips. “I’m willing to give a demonstration. I think you’re more curious than worried of an attack. Am I right, Rupert ol’ buddy?” Not waiting for an answer, he added, “Okay, who volunteers for me to send a nice punch? How about you, bricklayer?”

Seeing that Spike was obsessing him, Xander became confused. “Are you calling me a bricklayer?”

Spike chuckled. “Guess that name doesn’t fit here. Welp’ll have to do. So, what do ya say, let me deck you? I’ll give you a chance to hit me back.”

Buffy interrupted the two men before a full brawl began. “Look, why don’t you try me? I can take it without nose bleed.”

“Ruin my fun, luv,” the vampire replied, playfully.

Buffy faced him. “Come on, do it.”

Hesitation took over. He had forgotten about how he could hurt her. But that was because she came back wr . . . different. This Buffy had never been to heaven. He tried to tell himself this while he prepared to hit her. When he did, it wasn’t very hard, for his sake and hers.

The impact had practically no effect on Buffy. Spike, however, held his head in pain. A growl escaped him. “Bloody hell, I forgot how painful it is!” Spike exclaimed.

Xander glanced at all of them. “How do we know he’s not faking it?”

Anger flared within Spike. “You git! I think I can take another zap if it’s from smashing your face in.”

Willow grabbed Xander’s arm. She shook her head. “Don’t start anything, Xand. If Buffy believes him . . .”

“But he tried to kill us,” he protested.

“Didn’t though, mate. You make me regret it often when it concerns you, however, “ Spike snarled.

Buffy yawned. “It must be really late. I think we should go home to bed. We’ll research this situation tomorrow.”

The scoobies didn’t move. Buffy didn’t wait for a response and headed for the exit. Spike sighed, then followed. He caught up to her, walking along side.

“Slayer, I’ll head back to my crypt. It all right if I came over after sunset? Ya know, to see if you lot figured out anythin.”

“Sure, Spike, go ahead.”

He nodded. His hands went into the pockets of his coat. “Well, see ya then.”

As he left her, she said softly,” Bye, Spike.”

May 14, 1998 (Afternoon)

Buffy entered the library. She went over to a chair and slumped in it. Her friends looked over at her. “I feel like I didn’t get any sleep at all.”

“Yeah, I’m tired too,” Willow agreed. “Most of last night was spent doing slayery stuff.”

Buffy sat up straighter. “Well prepare for more. We need to find out what’s going on with Spike.”
A frown appeared on Xander’s face. “I don’t get it. If he is so nice now, like you claim, why send him back? The one that belongs here will go after us again. You know that, right?”

The slayer dropped her eyes. Her chest ached. He was right. This Spike was much easier to live with. So, why send him back? And she hated to admit it, but she would miss him even. She had grown to like him.

She sighed. “He’s not happy here. He wants to go back. How would you like to be suddenly pulled into the past? Forced to live it all again. Especially when you’ve come so far to become what you are. I think we owe it to him to send him to his time.”

Xander studied her. “Could you kill him? When the other Spike returns, could you kill him, if need be?”

Gripping the edge of the table, she shot out, “I killed Angel, didn’t I!? And I loved him. I don’t love Spike.”

“Right,” he said.

Silence fell over the room. They all felt uncomfortable at that moment.

Willow abruptly stood up. “I’ll get books,” she too cheerfully chimed.

May 14, 1998 (night)

Buffy came home after patrol. She was greeted with muffled voices. She followed them to the kitchen. Peeking in, she saw Spike on the counter. He was drinking a steaming drink in a mug. Her mother stood near him, looking like she was enjoying herself.

Spike set the mug down. “Thanks, Joyce, I believe that was the best cocoa I’ve ever tasted.”

Mrs. Summers smiled. “Why thank-you, Spike.”

“Dawn makes it for me sometimes, but it is not nearly as good as your.”
Curiosity spread over Joyce’s features. “Who is this Dawn?”

The vampire hopped off the counter. “Oh, you’re gonna love the bit. She’s such a bright girl. And strong. I’m right proud of her.” He turned to Joyce. “You will be too.”

His words puzzled Joyce. She didn’t know what he was talking about, but still . . . they seemed true. It gave her a funny feeling. “I’m sure I will,” she answered.

“Wonder what’s keeping the slayer. She usually doesn’t take this long.” He grinned. “Unless she runs into me.”

“I know you care about my daughter, Spike.”

He swallowed hard. “Uh . . . yeh.”

“Well, I think you’re a better pick than that Angel.”

Spike sadly nodded. “That’s right kind of , Joyce, but there’s no need to give me your blessing. She’ll never love me back.”

Joyce touched his arm. “Oh, why not? You seem like descent young man to me.”

“I’m beneath her,” he expressed.

From her spying spot, Buffy became angry. Hadn’t that discussion in his mind taught him anything? Still thought he was a monster.

She barged into the kitchen. “I’m back,” she declared.

“Oh, Buffy dear, didn’t hear you come in,” her mother said.

“Find anything today, luv?” Spike asked.

She went up to him and grabbed his arm. “Not yet. Let’s go talk.” She pulled him into the next room.

Spike stared at her. “Somethin wrong?”

In a flash, her lips crashed on his. His body stiffened in surprise. Then he relaxed, kissing her back. Spike took a chance and slid in his tongue. She met it with her own.

Eventually, Buffy had to pull away to breath. She gave him a smile, which was returned by his stunned expression. “So about our research. We didn’t really find anything, but . . .”

February 20, 2002

Willow burst into the house. “Buffy!” she called. “Buffy!”

The slayer came down the stairs. Her hair was wet from the shower. A towel wrapped around her slim body. “What is it, Will?”

The red-head was breathless. “I found it! We can get our spike back!”

Buffy smiled. “That’s great!”

Willow smiled back. “I have to go get Tara. You fetch the big bad from his crypt.”

Buffy nodded. “All right, can do. After I get dressed.” Not that he would object to her going like this, Buffy thought. She almost giggled.

“Meet ya at the magic shop,” Willow stated before walking toward out the door.

“Sure, see ya,” Buffy said.

She stood there on the steps, clutching the railing. Spike was coming back to her. The one who loved her. Well, the one here might, but not like hers. Soon she would be able to tell him what she didn’t get to before.

*+*+*+*

Buffy and Spike met Tara and Willow at the shop. Anya was there, but busy with maintenance.

They sat at the round table. Willow opened a book in front of her. “Okay,” she began. “We can set things right if both Spikes experience the same thing. They have to feel the same way, see the same thing.”

“How the hell do we manage that!?” Spike growled.

Buffy sent him a glare. “Don’t interrupt. She might say if you let her.”

“Thanks, Buffy,” Willow commented. “As I was saying, that will reverse the time fold. I don’t know exactly what will happen. Time might change.”

Buffy perked up. “What?”

“I mean, this Spike might make different decisions this time around. And knowing what he does might alter events.”

“But it could end up being better, right?”

“Yes, it could,” Willow agreed.

Spike looked over at Buffy. “Make a list, luv. All the major painful things that you want to not have happened. I’ll do my best to change them.”

Her eyes stung. Her love for him expanded a little further right then. And this was the old Spike. Who woulda thunk?

“Thank you,” she whispered.

He smiled at her.

“We found a spell to contact two minds. You can tell the other you what to do, then you can do the same thing. Hopefully it will work on the same minds without your head exploding or anything like that.”

Spike shifted in his seat. “I favor my head. Are you sure you know what you’re doing?”

“I’m doing it,” Tara said. “I’m pretty confident that it is safe. To be certain, I can do a protection spell before?”

He nodded. “Thanks ever so.”

Tara smiled. “No problem.”

“Okay then, kiddies, let’s get this rollin.”

Spike was eager to get home. He wondered, though, what would happen. He knew things, about himself that he didn’t before. He glanced over at Buffy. Well, whatever his destiny had in store he hoped it included her. Even if it meant persuading the Buffy he was accustomed to fighting into actually liking him.

_______________________________________________

Somebody said that I should distinguish the times with bold and non, so I did that in this part. Hope it wasn’t too bad. I have to say it doesn’t make me feel like it is as good as the others. Still, I hope you enjoyed it. I’ll try to get the next out sooner.