The Time Spinners
By Heather Martin
Summary- Things get a little twisted when the chip-Spike switches places with the chip-less. Can our do-gooder Spike keep Buffy and the gang from killing him? And can Buffy keep the old Spike from dancing herself back to heaven?
Rating- NC17
Disclaimer- None of the characters belong to me. They’re Joss Whedon’s property.
Spoilers- A TON for Becoming part II! Will have some from the second season to the present sixth.
This happens after Older and Far Away. It also occurs during and after Becoming part II.
Chapter 14- Shadowed Dreams
Synopsis/ Buffy is caught up in the fantasy./
 
May 13, 1998
Buffy and Spike spent the day house shopping. She was truly happy (like everyday with her husband, that she could remember). Still, something nagged at her, but she couldn’t seem to put her finger on it. She tried to push it aside, focusing on the task of finding a suitable home.
Finally they found it. A white, 2 story. The porch had a swinging bench that she absolutely fell in love with it. The living room had a fireplace. She imagined many cold nights snuggled against Spike, staring at the flames while drinking cocoa. There were three bedrooms, and two bathrooms. The kitchen was furnished with a dishwasher, lazy Susan, and island.
Buffy turned to Spike. Her face glowed. “We need to get it,” she declared.
His arm went around her. “My thoughts exactly, luv.” He kissed her temple.
“Everything is perfect,” she told him. Too perfect, her mind added silently.
* + * + * +*
Spike lay down in bed next to Buffy. She shifted so she was right up against him. Her head rested on his chest.
His fingers combed through her hair. “I want this moment to last forever. Just like this.”
A smile crept on her face. “Mmm hmm,” she breathed.
“I love you, Buffy,” he whispered.
“I . . .” She lifted her head to look at him. His crystal blue eyes shimmered back. “You know what, Spike? I do too.” It seemed weird to say it, like she hadn’t known until then. But that couldn’t be, he was her husband. Right?
Spike pressed his lips to hers. She allowed his tongue passage. The act was sweet and soft. It sent warm fuzzies down her body.
Suddenly a thought entered her brain. “Who’s patrolling?” she asked.
“What, luv?”
“Patrolling. Dusting vampires. In the cemetery. With a stake.”
He frowned. “There are no vampires, Buffy.” He sounded as if he was trying to convince himself.
“Yes, there are. And it’s my job to do away with them. I’m the slayer.” She sat up. Her eyes were huge with realization. “I’m the slayer,” she repeated.
He shook his head. “There’s no such thing.”
“Spike, that’s what there is. Not. . .” Her hand gestured around them. “This.”
He shook his head again, this time violently. “No! We’re married, and we’re having a baby.”
With sympathy, she said,” That isn’t real.”
He ignored her. “Joyce is alive, and Dawn isn’t the key. I’m human.”
“I’m sorry,” Buffy choked.
“There is not hellmouth or vampires,” he rambled on.
Tears stung her eyes. She wanted that to be true so bad.
Desperate, he muttered, “You love me. We have a family. I’m wanted and needed.”
Buffy closed her eyes. “Oh God, I’m sorry.”
There was a lingering silence. She opened her eyes to see nothing. Blackness surrounded her.
Beside her, there was a movement. “Why couldn’t you leave me be?”
Buffy spun to face him. She could barely make out his form. “You are dying, Spike. Come back with me. To the real world.”
He sighed. “I would have died happy.”
“Spike . . .”
“You want to know what my real life is like. What I have to go back to?”
She caught herself nodding. “Show me.”
Things changed then. She stood outside the Bronze. Before her were herself and Spike. She watched in interest.
“Get out of my sight! Now!” Buffy demanded.
“Oh, did I scare ya? You’re the slayer, do somethin’ about it. Hit me. Come on, one good swing. You know you want to,” Spike provoked.
Buffy stepped forward. “I mean it.”
“So do I . Give it to me good, Buffy. Do it!”
Tension rose up between them.
“Spike. . . “ Buffy squeaked out.
Spike leaned toward her. She recoiled in horror. “What the hell are you doing?” she shrieked.
He grabbed her arms. “Come on, I can feel it, slayer. You know you want to dance.”
“Say it’s true. Say I do want to.” She shoved him to the pavement. “It would never be you, Spike. It would never be you.” She threw a wad of money at him. “You’re beneath me.”
Buffy walked off. Spike was left in the dark alley. He fought back sobs as he collected the bills.
The 1998 Buffy was startled when her Spike came up. “You cried?” She had never seen him in a weakened state like that.
“Yeh, I did. Not ashamed of it anymore either,” he told her.
“You were about to kiss me?”
“Well, yeh.”
“I’m sorry, Spike,” she whispered.
“Don’t get like that. I wasn’t particularly pleasing that night. I had just got done tellin’ how I killed my two slayers. Then I got you all worked up. It was my fault.”
“Well, I can understand me getting angry if you told my about your conquests. But saying I was beneath you . . .”
He held up his right hand. “Please don’t,” he begged.
“Okay. Any more to show me?”
“Plenty.”
They were walking down Revello Drive. Spike was by her side.
“You can’t just walk away from this!” Spike exclaimed.
“What part of punching you in the face do you not understand?” Buffy questioned.
He sighed. “So we had a fight. It’s not our first, luv. It doesn’t change anything.”
Turning with anger, she sputtered,” It changes everything, Spike! I want you out. I want you out of this town, I want you off this planet! You don’t come near me, my friends, or my family again. Ever! Understand?”
Spike followed her to the Summers’ steps. “No, it’s not that easy. We have something, Buffy. It’s not pretty, but it’s real, and there’s nothing either one of us can do about it.”
The door was opened by Buffy. She entered, and faced Spike.
“Like it or not, I’m in your life, you can’t just shut me out,” he went on.
He was stopped from venturing forward. He gave her a confused look. Buffy’s expression was grim. Then the door slammed in his face.
The two watchers stood on the porch after the scene ended.
“There had to have been a reason for that. You aren’t showing me everything,” Buffy complained.
A smirk came on his face. “True, pet, but that would be against me.”
“So, this is propaganda? Just show me what will get me on your side. Tell me, Spike, what happened before? Why did I revoke your entrance?’ She put her hands on her hips, demanding an answer.
He seemed slightly embarrassed. “You see . . . I was a little desperate . . .”
“Just spit it out.”
“I chained you up.”
“What!?” she shrieked.
“You wouldn’t listen otherwise.”
“This isn’t gaining you any brownie points. Prove to me you have changed. Isn’t that what you want?”
He shook his head. “No, that’s not what I want. Well, yes, but . . . Oh bugger it.”
The location changed to a well furnished room. On a bed lay Spike. A woman crawled ontop of him. She peered down. “Maybe there’s something on the inside.” Her finger trust inside his middle. It twisted making Spike writhe in pain.
“What can I dig out of you, precious?” the female commented.
Buffy’s eyes widened. Things faded, being replaced with a gloomy mausoleum. Spike sat on a stone sarcophagus. Nasty wounds covered his body. An interested her stared intently at him.
“Cause Buffy. . . the other not so pleasant Buffy. . . if anything’s happen to Dawn, it’d destroy her. I couldn’t live, her bein’ in that much pain. Let Glory kill me first. Nearly bloody did.”
It all vanished. She was back in the dark with Spike.
“You were going to let that woman. . . or whatever she was torture you to death?” Her voice cracked.
“Buffy, I’d do anything for you.” He gave a faint smile. It warmed her, sending sparks down her spine.
Spike cleared his throat, glancing away. “I have one more thing to show you.”
Buffy emerged at her house. She was going up the stairs. Spike stood at the bottom as she did.
“I know you’ll never love me,” he said.
She paused, turning back to him.
“I know I’m a monster. But you treat me like a man, and that’ s . . .”
Buffy was in the dark again. Her mouth parted at what he had said. She felt him at her side.
“You see, none of it matters, all the good I’ve done,” he whispered. “So, let me stay in my little universe, slayer, it’s better than what I really have to go through. One less big bad to worry about anyway.”
Eyes flaring, she spun. “How can you say that!?”
Sadness illuminated in his gaze. “I’ll always be a monster. That’s all I’ll ever be, I can’t change it.” He let out a deep sigh.
A hand reached up to his indented cheek. “That’s not true,” the slayer murmured. “I’ve seen monsters. Hell, I saw Spike the monster a couple days ago. You, are ‘not’ one. I see a man who would give his life for me.” With that, she pressed her lips to his. It was a soft kiss of thanks, like after he faced Glory. Not full of passion, but there was still something there.
Breaking away, she met him straight on. “Now, come back with me,” she commanded.
Spike took the hand she offered him. A grin spread over his mouth. A’right, pet.”
There was a flash of light, and they were pulled out of their obscurity.
___________________________________________
Sorry, I really did mean to get this out sooner. Uh. . . I really don’t have an excuse. But, I am in the mood to write after typing this out, so hey, I’ll get some more down on paper prolly tonight. ;)