The Time Spinners

By Heather Martin

Summary- Things get a little twisted when the chip-Spike switches places with the chip-less. Can our do-gooder Spike keep Buffy and the gang from killing him? And can Buffy keep the old Spike from dancing herself back to heaven?

Rating- NC17

Disclaimer- None of the characters belong to me. They’re Joss Whedon’s property.

Spoilers- A TON for Becoming part II! Will have some from the second season to the present sixth.

This happens after Older and Far Away. It also occurs during and after Becoming part II.

Chapter 12- Into Nothing

Synopsis/ The Spike stuck in 2002 battles with his little emotional conflict dealing with the slayer. Meanwhile, in 1998 Buffy takes charge. /

 
February 18, 2002

Spike stood outside the Summers’ home. He leaned against the tree in their front yard, smoking a cigarette. His eyes kept focused on Buffy’s lit window.

She’d been haunting him all day. He couldn’t even go to sleep. Every time he closed his eyes her face would pop in his head. Giving up, he sat in bed and pondered on how to do away with her. He crossed off burning. The teen might be inside, and he had nothing against her. Beheading would be fun, bug too messy. He could always bite her, except she’d put up a good fight. The gun still seemed the best resort. Quick, clean, and easy. It would be done before she knew what hit her.

Now all he had to do was find the right time to make his move.

Spike was so involved in thought that he didn’t sense someone approach. A hand touched his shoulder. Startled, he dropped his cigarette. He spun around to come face-to-face with Dawn.

She grinned up at him. “Did I sneak up on the big bad?”

“I was distracted,” he defended.

Her grin broadened. She pointed to Buffy’s window. “Did it have to do with a certain slayer?”

A growl escaped Spike. “I’m not stalking your sis.”

She put her hands on her hips. “I never said you were.”

“Now look, I was passing through and. . .”

Dawn held up a hand for him to stop. “I won’t tell,” she promised.

“Thanks ever so, but I wasn’t . . .”

She laughed. “Sure,” she said, sarcastically.

Spike sighed. “I better be off then. Got things to do.”

“Okay,” she agreed. She began to walk away. Then she stopped and turned back. “She likes heroics.”

“Huh?” he asked, confused.

“You know, saving her life and doing the good. Lurking in her yard isn’t going to cut it. Didn’t work last time.”

Spike lifted an eyebrow. “Last time?”

“Oh yeah. You were about to give her candy and everything. Let me give you some advice, chaining up your love is a major turn-off.”

His lips formed a smirk. If she only knew why he was really there, plotting a murder and all.

“I’ll keep that in mind, bit,” he told her.

There was a high pitched squeal. Then a body rammed into him. Arms wrapped around his waist.

His body stiffened. “What the bloody hell are you doing!?”

Dawn pulled away. Her face showed hat she was a little embarrassed. “Sorry, it’s just. . . I missed you. The Spike who calls me nibblet and is obsessed with my sister.”

“I am not obsess with your big sis!” he said forcefully. Why did it sound unconvincing?

Dawn smiled again. “Bye, Spike, I’ll be seeing you later. Maybe you can help me out on my Hamlet report.”

I am not a poofter. I do not like kids, I eat them for breakfast. I kill slayers, not love them. He chanted this as he briskly strolled down the street. Just to prove all this to himself, when a girl came into view he decided to feed. The warm coppery taste of blood would drown his worries and set him straight.

He approached the blond. “Hello, cutie,” he greeted.

The girl looked over. “H-Hi,” she stammered.

He was overcome by her intense green eyes. And her hair, it was like the way Buffy had her hair in 1998. Knock out of it, this is a good thing, he told himself. A good opportunity to pretend it’s her. It’ll set you up for the real thing.

Spike inched toward her. “Are you scared of me?” he whispered.

The girl shook her head.

He grinned. “You should be.”

His features transformed into wrinkles. The blues of his eyes became a hideous gold. The girl screamed and backed away. He grabbed her shoulders, preventing her from fleeing.

Spike let his mind acknowledged this girl as the slayer. He opened his mouth, prepared to strike.

A tiny whimper came from the girl. She struggled in his grip. He looked into those green eyes once more. She was no longer protesting, offering herself willingly to him. Acceptance could be seen in her gaze.

Spike stepped away, letting go. He went out of game face. His head was spinning.

“Cor, you’re just like her,” he muttered.

She stared at him with curiosity.

“Go, get away from me!” he yelled.

She obeyed, running down the alley.

He slid down the brick wall of a building near him, until he was sitting. He leaned his head back.

At that moment he admitted it to himself. Buffy was covering him. Hell, she was inside him too. She was tearing him apart. He couldn’t even be William the Bloody anymore. So who was he?

May 13, 1998

“Elctra demon,” Giles quoted. “A deep green color, with light green scales adorning its back. The creature possesses the ability to extend razor sharp claws when in danger. The enemy is poisoned immediately after the skin is broken. Results include a coma-like state.” He glanced over at the sleeping vampire. Then he went back to his book. “The victim’s mind is pushed into the very depth of subconsciousness. Meanwhile, the venom secreted by the Elctra takes its toll. It diminishes energy a little bit at a time, until none is left. This amount of time varies. In most cases it was around six to seven hours.” Giles stopped to take a breath.

Buffy leaned forward. “Ok, not much time then. Does it mention a cure?” she eagerly inquired.

“Uhh. . . “ He scanned the page. “Actually, yes, it does talk about survivors.”

“Let’s hear them,” the slayer said.

“One was healed, however. . . their mind was not.”

“Huh?” Buffy asked.

Giles pushed his glasses further on his nose. He looked up. “They were stuck in this dream-land that the poison created. A sort of paradise. It describes how the person would be awake, but not in reality. They didn’t react to any stimulus, and mumbled incoherent sentences.”

“So, he’s gonna be crazy, huh? Like dissociated from reality?”

Giles nodded. “I’m afraid so. There is a theory, though. The author thinks that the poison draws the victim deeper into fantasy world as it progresses. If they were to be coaxed out before being consumed by it they might be saved.”

“How do we do that?” Buffy asked.
“I. . . I’m not sure,” he replied.

“I might know a way.”

Their eyes went to Willow, who had meekly spoken. The red-head smiled slightly. “I know this spell. . .”

“What?” Giles questioned.

“Yeah, um, I sort of went through some magic books one day. I’m sorry, Giles, I know I shouldn’t have,” she confessed.

The librarian frowned. “Willow, the dark arts are very dangerous.”

Willow nodded. “I know, but they can do good. They don’t have to be so dark. I gave Angel’s soul back, that wasn’t bad.”

Buffy looked down at the floor. Angel. She felt like crying, but this wasn’t the time.

“You don’t know what can happen if a spell is misperformed,” Giles informed.

“So, what, we should let Spike die?”

Beside her, Xander spoke up. “Why shouldn’t we? He’s a vampire. I say the less of them, the better.”

Buffy’s head whipped to the side. “If it wasn’t for him I would have died!”

“He made his choice, and it was to die. He’s willing.”

Buffy’s eyes flared. “That’s real cold!” she exclaimed.

She stood up, and surveyed her friends. “I don’t care how Spike acted before. He may have fought us, but he never killed anyone. And he’s different now, trust me. So, we’re going to listen to Willow. If this spell sounds workable, we’re taking it into consideration.” She turned to Willow. “Tell me what you know.”

Willow cleared her throat. “It involves someone going into another’s mind. If we can send a person into Spike, it might be possible to pull him out of the pretend universe. Then we can perform a healing spell.”

“Ok, I’ll do it,” Buffy offered.

“But. . .”

“There’s a but?”

“Yeah. You could. . . get lost. You might get sucked into the illusion, think it’s real.”

There was a long pause. Finally Buffy said,” I’ll do it.”

“What, are you nuts!?” Xander shrieked. “This is Spike. Spike equals vampire.”

“I’m the slayer, I help people no matter what the cost.”

He stared in shock. “Spike is not a person!”

Her voice came out in a soft whisper. “I’m not sure if that’s true anymore.”

Giles intervened. “I can’t let you do this, Buffy.”

She met his gaze. “I have to.”

“Think about what you’re doing.” He gestured to Spike. “This may be a helpless vampire, but he’s still a vampire. I can’t have you risking your life for him.”

“He risked his for mine.”

“The whole reason why you shouldn’t risk yours. Both of you might parish this way.”
“I know, but I couldn’t go on with the fact that I could have done something and didn’t. Especially when. . .” She sighed. “He loves me.”

A gasp came from Willow. “Are you sure?”

“He can’t, he doesn’t have a soul,” Xander said.

“You should have seen him. He looked into my eyes and told me he loved me. There was no regret in giving up his life. He only cared that I was okay,” Buffy told them.

Watching Buffy, Giles became frightened. The way she had spoken.

“Buffy, you don’t have feelings for him, do you?” her watcher questioned.

“Of course not!” Buffy defended.

He was greatly relived. “Sorry, I just. . .”

“I’m still getting over Angel.” She took a deep breath. “And I can’t forget what Spike did to us. But I owe it to him to try and help. He deserves it for what he did for me.”

“If you do this, I’m not letting you stay long.”

Buffy spun to Willow. “Get what you need.”

The newly practicing witch did just that.

________________________________________________________

Sorry, I meant to get this out sooner. You see, I was worried about my mom, though. She had to have tests done today to see what was wrong with her. It could have been something serious, like cancer even, but fortunately it wasn’t. Just a minor thing that can be cured with pills. : ) So, I’m all in good spirits to send this out. Good for you guys, cuz if something was really wrong, there wouldn’t have been a chapter for a very long time. Anyways, I have the next part started already, so that might be up tomorrow.