The Time Spinners

By Heather Martin

Summary- Things get a little twisted when the chip-Spike switches places with the chip-less. Can our do-gooder Spike keep Buffy and the gang from killing him? And can Buffy keep the old Spike from dancing herself back to heaven?

Rating- NC17

Disclaimer- None of the characters belong to me. They’re Joss Whedon’s property.

Spoilers- A TON for Becoming part II! Will have some from the second season to the present sixth.

This happens after Older and Far Away. It also occurs during and after Becoming part II.

Chapter 11- Slipping Away

Synopsis/ The past Spike is on a mission to do away with the slayer. The 1998 Buffy makes a decision on what to do with her poisoned rescuer./

 
February 17, 2002

Spike found a shotgun in a trunk. He loaded it with some bullets that were accompanied next to it. Now all he had to find was the target.

Pulling his duster on and grabbing the gun, he left the crypt. He headed toward the Summers house. This was going to be a blast. He bet she hadn’t even considered the possibility that he might go after her. No, she was too teary-eyed about missing her pathetic loser vamp.

All his dreams were going to come true. He would bag his third slayer. That’d show Dru. She couldn’t tell him Buffy was covering him if she was gone.

The residence was dark, and he wondered if anyone were even there. He got his answer, however, when Buffy came out. He watched as she shut her door, stuffing a couple stakes in her coat. She went down the steps, surveying the land. To his surprise she didn’t seem to sense him behind the tree. Must be preoccupied, he thought.

Buffy began to walk down the street. Then she stopped. “Dammit,” she mumbled. She turned around, going the other way.

Spike was intrigued. Where was she off to? It was the opposite way to the cemetery. Skulking, he followed her, keeping his distance.

Finally, Buffy reached her destination. He could have broke down laughing. The buturer shop. She was getting blood for someone ready to blow her brains out. Very rich indeed.

Buffy came back carrying a paper bag. She traveled along, Spike behind her, unnoticed.

They ended up at the cemetery. He kept in the shadows as she dusted three vampires. She’d gotten extremely better. Yet, she seemed uninterested, bored even.

After slaying, she set the sack down. She settled down on a tombstone to take a break.

This was his opportunity. Time to do away with the bitch. He raised the gun, taking aim. “This is for ruining my fucking unlife, sweetheart,” he whispered.

That was when he heard her. She had started to cry. He lowered the gun, and stared out at her. She had her face hidden in her hands.

Bloody hell, wanker, just take the weapon and pull the trigger. He tried again. He brought the gun back up.

“Spike!?”

He closed his eyes, cursing.

“Spike, are you out there!?”

Buffy was on her feet. She looked around, searching for his form.

Spike discarded the gun. He took off then to his crypt.

It wasn’t long after he arrived, that Buffy did. She came in, not kicking the door in, but still forceful. He stepped up to him. “Have you been following me?” she demanded.

She wasn’t mad, just wanting to know. Spike cleared his throat. “No, slayer, I’ve been sittin here watchin the telly.” He pointed to the program displayed on the television.

Buffy had an unconvinced expression on her face. Deciding not to pressure him further, she let it go. She held up the bag. “I brought you dinner,” she informed.

“Very kind of you. Now leave,” he instructed.

Not expecting that, she stuttered,” What?”

“I said, leave!” he shouted.

Buffy put the blood on the sarcophagus. “Oh. . . kay,” she said. She gave him a final look before going out.

Spike punched the wall in anger. What was wrong with him?

All right, he told himself, you couldn’t do it tonight. That doesn’t mean you won’t. He would kill her, he just needed time to prepare.

May 13, 1998
Buffy gawked down at Spike, a man she didn’t know. She had known a ruthless monster, not the person before her. Not someone who would die for her.

The way he had looked at her when whispering of love. Could it be? But he was a vampire, he had no soul. Only a chip. Would that cause him to feel compassion?

Her eyes stung. “I’m going to save you,” she murmured. It was suddenly very important that she did.

Buffy hoisted him up into her arms. Thank God for slayer strength. She noticed he was cold, not corpse cold, freezing. That couldn’t be good.

Hurrying as fast as possible, she carried him to the library. Giles will know what to do, he will be able to help, she thought. Actually it was more like a prayer, than confidence.

She burst inside the doors. The slayerettes turned their heads as she entered.

“Buffy. . .?” Willow gasped when she took in Spike.

Xander stood up. He pointed at the wounded vampire. “Why is he here!?”

Buffy laid Spike on the table. “He’s hurt,” she said.

“Yet again, I ask why he is here,” Xander replied.

The commotion caught Giles’ attention. He came in from his office. His eyes widened at the sight before him. “Dear lord!” he exclaimed.

Buffy raised her head. She was very relieved to see him. “I need a spell or something. He’s been poisoned by a demon,” she told him.

“Buffy, what is going on here? Why would you bring Spike, even if he is dying?” her watcher questioned.

She took in a deep breath, gathering control. “He saved my life.”

Laughter came from Xander. “Good one, Buff. Spike saving your life.”

A glare was sent his way. “He did. This is not the Spike we know.”

“Buffy, I want to believe you,” said Willow. “But, it was only a couple days ago that he was wanting to kill us.”

“Not for him. This Spike came from four years in the future. He’s different, changed. Sure, he can be annoying, but. . .”

Giles took off his glasses. He began to clean the lenses. “I’m not sure this is likely, Buffy. I have never came across any text about time travel.”

“But, but he’s got a chip. He can’t hurt anyone with it,” she put in.

Interest filled Giles. “Have you seen it work?”

Buffy sighed. “No, he just told me.”

“There ya go! He told you that to trick you. He wanted you to trust him so that he could kill you,” Xander said.

The slayer shook her head. “No, why would he push me out of the way then?”

“Uhh. . .”

“And you should have seen him when. . .He wanted to save me, Xander, I know he did.”

“Wait!”

All eyes fixed on the librarian who had spoken. He stepped closer, examining Spike.

“I remember something. When I was at the mansion he came to talk to me. He apologized. He told me he was sorry about letting Drusilla play mind games with me, but Angelus would have killed me otherwise.” He spun toward Buffy. “My God, I thought it strange.”
Buffy smiled. “He was a lot nicer, huh?”

Willow studied the bleach blond vampire. “He looks. . . dead . Really dead.”

“No, he’s not! He’d be dust if he was.” Her head whipped to Xander. “You, go gather as many demonology and magic books as you can. We need to find out about an Elk. . . Elctra demon. And a healing spell, we need one of those.”

Xander went to get them without protest.

A hand touched her shoulder. She shifted her gaze to whoever it was. It was Giles.

“Buffy, do you think this is wise? He is still a vampire. This chip he speaks of, it might stop working at any time,” he told her.

Her eyes met his. “He saved my life, Giles.”

The watcher nodded, understanding.

_________________________________________

Thanks everybody for the reviews! Hope you enjoyed the chapter. I’ll try to get the next one out as soon as possible.