**

Chapter 2

Buffy hit the floor on her backside and Spike landed pretty much in her lap.

“Ooff, get off me you stupid vampire!” Buffy shoved at the offending vampire.

Spike cursed as he hit the floor again. Buffy smacked him on the arm.

“Language Spike, we have company.”

Spike followed the direction of Buffy’s eyes. In front of them stood a female demon, she had very pale green skin and a mass of frizzy red hair. She held a clipboard in one hand.

She held up a finger to silence the blond couple as she started to flick through the pages on her clip board.

“Now lets see, hmm, Buffy Anne Summers? Oh honey, you’re in the wrong place entirely. And William Gabriel Stanton, you’re not supposed to be here for another…”

“Arrgghhh. Laa laa laa!” Spike cut the demon of by covering his ears and singing loudly.

“I guess he doesn’t want to know.” Buffy chuckled, the chuckle developed into a laugh as she pulled Spikes hand away from his ears.

“Your middle name is Gabriel?” She asked in between laughs.

“What of it *Buffy*?” Spike prickled slightly.

“No-nothing,” Buffy choked. “I just thing that maybe you and Angel got your monikers mixed up.” She tried to smother the laugh but couldn’t help the snort.

“Ignore her, she’s insane.” Spike addressed the demon that was waiting for them to finish.

“We just here to pick something up. Not to check in.” Spike informed her.

“Oh well that’s a relief.” The demon exhaled. Then her eye’s narrowed suspiciously.
“your not here to rescue some are you, we had that a lot lately and let me tell you, it’s really frowned upon. People are here for a reason you know.” She explained.

“A big no to the rescuing, we just want to get a necklace of a demon.” Buffy, who had now managed to get control of herself explained.

“That’s okay then. I’m Lou.” The demon informed them.

“Lou? Is your real name hard to pronounce for humans?” Buffy asked curiously.

“My name is Louise, but I prefer Lou.” Lou explained dryly.

This time it was Spikes turn to laugh uproariously. Buffy blushed to her roots and hastily apologised.

**

Lou had directed them to a cell after they had given her the details of the demon they were searching for. They stood outside the cell and Lou spoke again.

“I have to wait to make sure your not going to spirit him away.” She explained.

Buffy peered through the small window that graced the door. Yep there was the talisman, still hanging around his neck.

Buffy and Spike let themselves into the cell and attacked the demon. About twenty minutes later they both staggered out of the cell. Buffy had the talisman clutched in one hand.

“Man that was tough. He just won’t die.” Buffy panted.

“Well no, this is Hell, what would be the point of eternal torment if you died as soon as someone attacked you?” Lou reasoned.

Lou led them to her office and offered them both tea, which surprised Buffy but they both accepted. Buffy looked at her watch. It had stopped, stupid thing, she thought tapping at the face of it.

She guessed that about a hour had passed and squashed the urge to slap her forehead at the thought of trying to kill the next five hours with Spike.

“Let me show you to a room where you can rest up.” Lou smiled as she took a key out of her desk.

“We only have one room available so you’ll have to share.” She explained as she made her way round her desk and held the door open.

“Thanks, but it won’t be necessary. We’ll be leaving soon enough.” Buffy declined the offer politely.

“Trust me Buffy, take the room.” Lou smiled enigmatically at the blond couple in front of her.

She led them down a hallway that was decorated in a bright yellow and Buffy shook her head at the strangeness of it.

Lou opened the door and held it open so that Buffy and Spike could enter. Buffy let out a surprised gasp. The room wasn’t really a room, it was more of a self contained studio, in one corner of the room there was a huge bed, in the opposite corned there was a small kitchenette and a door led off one of the walls into which Buffy assumed was the bathroom.

The room was completely white, the walls, the thick carpet and even the bed linen. Buffy thought a grand hotel couldn’t rival its opulence. She chanced a quick glance at Spike and noticed the frown that had settled over his face. Stupid vampire, she thought again. It was bad enough that he was here with her, but he wasn’t going to ruin her few hours of pampering herself before they returned home.

“Make yourselves at home. I’ll be in my office if you need anything.” Lou offered a small wave and closed the door behind her. She quickly teleported herself to the bar upstairs.

Picking up a glass, she banged it down on the bar to catch the patron’s attention.

“I’ve got a vampire and a slayer sharing a room downstairs. 5-1 odds they fuck within two weeks.” She declared loudly. There was much shifting from the patrons as they dug around in they’re pockets. A dark skinned demon was the first to answer.

“Lou darling, I’ll take those odds.” He handed her money and raised an eyebrow when he saw her blush slightly.

Lou shook of her embarrassment of being called darling by her crush and snickered at the situation downstairs.

One room? Please. This was hell.

**

Buffy had had a bath, a nap and and a snoop through everything in the room. Now she was stalking around the room. Spike had said nothing the entire time they were there.

“Spike say something damn it!” Buffy demanded.

“This waiting is driving me nuts, how long do you think has passed?” she demanded in the next breath.

“About 8 hours.” Spike answered, running a hand through his hair. He’d been having uneasy thoughts since they arrived and he’d just about figured out why.

“8 hours?” Buffy exclaimed. “Do you think Giles forgot about us?” she snapped angrily.

“Buffy I’m going to point something out now, but I want you to remember that old saying about not harming the messenger okay?” Spike spoke softly trying to ease the way for an unpleasant conversation.

Buffy just stared at him with an expectant expression.

“You remember when you sent Angelus to hell?” Spike asked and noticed Buffy wince as she remembered.

“So?” she spoke harshly as the guilt that always accompanied that memory surfaced.

“How long was he gone?” Spike nudged her brain gently.

“A couple of weeks, I don’t see…” Buffy answered but Spike cut her off.

“And how long was he actually in hell for?” Spike questioned again.

“He said it was a couple of hundred years….” The colour drained from Buffy’s face and she flew to the door.

Oh yeah, thought Spike, the penny has dropped

**

Lou’s office door banged open as the slayer skidded into the room. She rushed to Lou’s desk.

“You have to send me back!” Buffy pleaded.

“Sorry, you can only get out the way you come in, or we’d have people coming and going as they pleased.” The demon shrugged in answer.