Author's Chapter Notes:
Made you wait long enough, didn't I? Come on, it's like...delayed gratification. Yes? No? Okay, I'll be faster next time. Thank you so much to everyone who's reading and reviewing, I love hearing what everyone thinks of this story! Chapter title from Coldplay. Loooove that song.
It had to be love.

The realization had come to mind instantly upon waking, when she’d seen his face. She hadn’t recognized it earlier, because…it didn’t hurt. It didn’t hurt to love William, her Will, it didn’t ache in her gut and her chest and her throat when she looked at him. She wanted to be near him, she shivered when she touched him, his eyes made the very innermost, private part of her warm happily. There wasn’t anything else this could be.

She knew it was probably way too soon. But Slayers had shorter lives, usually, so maybe they just fell in love faster too. It made sense.

Buffy followed William into his bedroom, no negative emotions clouding her euphoria. She was a little nervous, of course, but it was more like anticipation, a humming through her veins that made her heart pound and her palms sweat, but she relished the feeling.

She could hardly remember the dream that had made her cry out for William. It was hazy, fuzzy, shapes and feelings more than people. She dismissed it as just a silly nightmare, and focused entirely on the here and now, mind devoid of memories of a different life.

Buffy’s eyes tracked every move William made, as he lit a few candles and fiddled with his CD player until soft acoustic rock came from the speakers. Seconds later, though, he turned it off.

When he turned around to see the curious look Buffy was giving him, a smile crept across his face as he sat down on the edge of the bed and he said silkily, “Decided the only thing I want to hear is you.”

Her skin flushed and he grinned wider, and then gestured for her to join him on the bed. His heart was pounding so hard in his chest he was surprised she couldn’t hear it, but he smoothly covered up his nervousness, sinking inside himself, finally totally at peace with what he was doing, and what he felt.

William didn’t want to let his mind wander to the issue of whether or not this was truly her first time, according to the vague codes of Colet regarding alternate dimensions, and decided it didn’t matter. He’d treat her the same either way. Worship her the way she deserved and make her want to remember this birthday and not her other.

They kissed, sweet and slow, neither in a rush. Both knew what was coming, knew that from here there was no turning back, and were content to simply savor each other. The kiss continued as they fell back on the bed, Buffy’s body crushed between the soft bed and William’s hard chest.

When they parted, they wore identical contented smiles.

“Happy birthday, sweetling,” William said as he stroked her cheek with his fingers.

“It is my birthday, isn’t it…” Buffy replied a bit breathlessly. “So…do I get my present?”

Chuckling softly, he lowered his lips to hers again, his answer in the way he slipped his hands beneath her sleep shirt to caress the smooth flesh of her stomach. She arched into the touch, arms tightening around his shoulders, kissing back with fevered intensity.

William traced circles on Buffy’s body, hands drifting higher and higher until he was brushing the underside of her breasts. She shifted restlessly, body begging for more from him, and sighed happily when he began to delicately brush her nipples.

Buffy wanted something, needed, craved. She mewled into William’s mouth, hands clutching tighter, thighs working against each other seeking friction. When he shifted above her to press himself against her core, she tore her lips away for air. But she had trouble finding it when a mouth was quickly fastened onto her throat, and hands slid down to tease at the edges of her panties.

“William…Will, I…” She hadn’t intended to say anything. An abrupt swell of emotion inside of her, a sudden overload of passion, of love, and she was suddenly speaking.

“What is it, baby?” he murmured against her cheek, lips continuously brushing her skin.

She wanted to say it. It became almost impossible not to, her lips seemed completely disconnected from her brain. “I…I…”

His face was in front of her suddenly, his eyes drunk with lust but narrowed at her curiously. Then they shifted, relaxed, warmed to her and he whispered, “I love you, Buffy.”

The way her face lit up with that assessment, the way a smile came from nowhere and her eyes warmed, made William almost dizzy. He dove in to kiss those curved lips, every good feeling he’d ever had, combined, bubbling over. He didn’t need the words, he could see she loved him too.

“Wmph!” Buffy protested against his lips, pushing at his shoulders, body shaking with laughter. “Stop!” She gasped when he reluctantly pulled away.

“What?” he frowned in confusion, the loss of her lips on his prompting him to pout.

“I love you too,” she said quickly, body finally relaxing now that she’d spoken.

His frown melted into awe, and he realized how much better it was to actually hear the words. And for the first time, totally believe them.

This time it was Buffy who couldn’t wait for a reply, and she pulled his head back down to hers with a bit too much force, unaware of her strength. But William gave himself over to it willingly, enjoying her fierce hold on him, returning her passion with equal intensity, if not power. His hands clutched tight to her small waist, holding her tightly as his hips pushed against hers.

Buffy parted her legs and wrapped them around his waist, trembling at the first pressure of his cock into her sex through the thin layers of their underwear. She ran her hands down his back to yank up the hem of his t-shirt, and he shifted and knelt above her to finish pulling it off.

In the candlelight she could see everything---the dark need in his eyes, the hard erection under his boxers, the slightly goofy smile still on his face. William reached down to remove her shirt, eyes never leaving her face, breathing heavily through his mouth.

He caressed her now naked torso with light, delicate fingers, dancing their way down to her panties. He pulled them off slowly, eyes still focused on her face, letting his hands explore her body but finding the sight of her surprised, turned-on expressions far more interesting than her naked flesh.

When Buffy reached out one hand to brush against William’s cock, straining to be released, he let out a rough grunt and looked down at her hand. He leaned into her gentle touch, biting back his impatience, letting her move at her own pace.

Which, luckily, was fast enough for him. After just a few seconds she pulled down his boxers carefully, letting them drop to his knees on the bed. Her eyes widened as she took in the sight of him, hard and leaking, and she unconsciously darted out her tongue to lick at her dry lips.

William groaned at the sight and bent forward, kissing a trail from her face to her sex, pausing briefly only to push his underwear off all the way. Then he was teasing the insides of Buffy’s thighs with his tongue, slowly parting them with his hands. When she was spread wide, pussy clearly wet in the dim light, he sighed his approval and licked her with his tongue flat, straight up the middle.

She cried out in surprise and her hands flew to grip his shoulders. He lightly traced her opening with pointed tongue and his thumb danced back and forth across her clit. Buffy arched her back to bring him closer, overwhelmed with the new sensations, breathy gasps escaping her lips.

Her body was already so on edge, it became almost too much to have him teasing her as he was. Each light lick of his tongue and soft stroke of his fingers made her shiver, and she begged, “William, please, I need…”

“Need what, love?” He slid two fingers into her as he spoke, and she cried out. “What do you need?”

“You…I…please…” Buffy blushed furiously unable to ask for exactly what she wanted. They had plenty of time for slow, drawn out love-making, but right now there was an almost unbearable ache inside her, an ache she knew William could cure. He added a third finger inside of her and licked her clit again, and she let out a wordless, desperate moan, and that seemed to communicate what she couldn’t say.

William continued to pump his fingers inside of her as he kissed his way back to her mouth, just as ready and needy as she was. She was dripping wet, soaking his hand, writhing for more and there was no way he would deny her what they both needed.

It was only seconds later that he’d sheathed his erection in a condom and was settling himself between her spread thighs, fingers twisted in her hair and eyes fixed on her face again.

Skin flushed with wanting, eyes bright from lust, lips swollen by kisses. She was perfection, every inch of her, and she was his. For now, for this second.

“Ready?” William asked softly. Buffy nodded, wrapped her arms around his shoulders, and smiled, a sweet, innocent curling of the lips that made him that much harder.

The head of his cock brushed at her entrance and she trembled again, tightened her grip on him, and pulled him in for a kiss. Every part of her, body and soul, was electrified, and she wiggled her hips to capture him inside. As he slid into her she let out a small whimper of pain, but William swallowed the sound with another gentle kiss, then moved to whisper in her ear.

“Love you, kitten. Love you so much…oh, Buffy…” He sighed once he was fully seated inside her, finally finding that elusive feeling of contentment he’d sought his whole life. He froze in place, savoring the sensations, giving her time to adjust, mouth still moving though he was hardly aware of his own words. “You’re perfect, you know that? Perfect, my Buffy, my Slayer…my love, love you, loved you for so long…”

The adjustment to his large length inside her was kind of painful, but it didn’t really bother her all that much. William’s words had to have something to do with it, each time he confessed his love Buffy felt a spark of something almost too powerful in her heart, and a matching jolt between her legs. The intensity with which she loved him back was all-consuming, the intensity with which she wanted him overwhelming. There was no shadow of doubt in her mind that this, right here, was what she’d want, forever.

“I love you too,” she whispered.

“Can I—“

“Yeah, I’m good, I…oh…”

William started slowly, long, deep strokes inside of her that were sweetly torturous. Buffy’s hands were tight on his shoulders, no doubt creating bruises. She wrapped her legs around his hips tightly, and as she raised her hips to meet each thrust, he increased his speed, and shifted to hold himself above her on his elbows.

Their eyes met, and neither could look away. They moved faster, and faster, high cries and rough grunts mingling with the sound of flesh on flesh. William wasn’t going to last, months of wanting and days of foreplay making him already so, so close to his release. But the quivering of her tight muscles around his cock alerted him to the fact that Buffy was close as well, and he buried his face in her neck, unable to look at her beautiful face another second without erupting. He shifted to slide one hand between them, and rubbed at her clit, desperate to bring her over with him.

That light touch set her off and Buffy cried out as her world exploded, clinging to William tightly to keep herself from flying apart as well. The waves of sensation radiating from her core rendered her speechless. She tried to tell him how much she loved him but could only gasp and moan, back arching off the bed until her breasts were pressed into his chest.

William wrapped her in his arms and held her tighter to him, slamming his hips into her sweet pussy half a dozen more times before he allowed himself to come. Every bit of tension he’d been holding inside since he’d first fallen for Buffy came out in one long burst of pleasure, the exquisite little aftershocks of her orgasm lengthening his own.

He was completely sated, completely drained of all energy. He had just enough brainpower left to strip off the condom and toss it in the trash, then he collapsed on his back on the bed. Buffy curled into his side, nuzzling into his shoulder like an amorous kitten, and stroked his chest lazily.

“That was…”

“Yeah,” he sighed happily, shifting his head slightly to kiss her forehead. That small movement exhausted him further, and his eyes fluttered shut.

Buffy’s body was still tingling, nerves still on edge, and the only thing she could think of that would soothe the ache still inside her was more of William’s hands, his tongue…all of him. More. That was what she definitely wanted. But she wasn’t quite sure how to go about getting it, so she nipped William on the shoulder to get his attention.

He cracked open one eye reluctantly. “Mmm?”

She slid her hand down to his abdomen and traced little circles. “Are you…tired?”

“It is the middle of the night,” he teased, her ministrations creating a very small flicker of interest in his cock. “Why, is my girl ready for another go?”

She blushed and pressed a kiss to his chest. “Maybe,” she giggled, then kissed him again, lower this time, and followed her lips with a lick of her tongue.

William groaned at the sensation, but his body was still too wrung out to be affected much. “Might have to give me a few minutes, kitten.” His eyes closed again and he breathed deeply. Her lips continued to torture his sensitive skin with gentle kisses, and as her mouth moved lower, his mind and body finally started to respond.

“Maybe…maybe there’s a way I can speed things along?” Buffy suggested with a wicked, yet questioning smile.

“Uh-huh…” was the only response William could come up with. As tired as he was his eyes stayed wide open and his cock began to harden slightly as his sweet Slayer brought her mouth closer and closer to it. He held his breath as if one wrong move would change her mind. At the first touch of her tentative tongue he gasped out, “God, I love you!”

She smiled up from between his thighs. “Let’s see how much.”



The room was cool, the sun not high enough in the sky yet to fight the chill of the morning fog. Buffy and William were curled tightly around one another, his larger body snuggled into her side with his face buried in her throat. They’d hardly gotten any sleep, hesitant to leave the safety of each other’s bodies for even a second. But eventually, as sunlight began to peek through the curtains, they’d fallen into blissful oblivion.

She woke slowly, the transition between sleep and waking gentle and pleasant. She savored the feeling of waking in William’s arms for a few minutes, then slid out from underneath his heavy arm when her stomach grumbled loudly. She crept silently towards the door with a smile affixed to her face, then headed downstairs with the idea of making breakfast for the two of them. Her kitchen skills were limited, so she was thinking toast. Or maybe she could try eggs, they didn’t seem to be that difficult to make.

Her musings came to a sudden halt when she entered the kitchen. Sitting on the counter near the sink was a coffee cup, one she remembered buying for her mother a few Christmases earlier. She suddenly had a perfectly clear vision of her mother, holding that mug and smiling, and with that image came a sudden rush of memory and an onslaught of pain at the base of her skull.

She’d forgotten. For the whole night, she’d forgotten any part of her other life. It had been as if this was her reality, totally and completely.

A sob threatened to bubble up in her throat, her euphoria from moments early dissolving into the worst kind of misery. Why? Why would she have forgotten?

But more than that, why did she have to remember again?


Chapter End Notes:
*lights cigarette* Ahhh. And I'm spent.