Author's Chapter Notes:
Bad, bad Vanilla! Bad updater. But I do believe I've overcome my pesky writer's block. Yippee. I'll write as much as I can while it lasts! Chapter title from an awesome band called Bloc Party. Hope you enjoy!
“That’s quite a pointy sword, Buff,” Angel eyed the weapon near his crotch warily. “Do you think you could maybe…point it somewhere else?”

“Why? Don’t trust my Slayer abilities?” The blonde giggled and wiggled the sword in his direction, before tossing it on the growing pile of weapons on the floor. School had ended, William had returned to the library, and the group was making plans for the next evening’s battle.

“Do you really think you need this many knives?” Drusilla stared down at the deadly array of blades, wide eyed. “I mean, that’s a lot of knives.”

“Never hurts to be prepared,” Buffy shrugged. “And if this Menithea guy is really all that and a bag of whatever, I need the heavy artillery. Did you find any good witchy voodoo?”

“Yes! Distraction spells, binding spells, things like that. Only problem is, I need to be in the room to---“

“Well then, nope. I don’t want you getting hurt, either of you.”

“I can take care of myself, I’ll be fine!” Drusilla insisted. “I mean, I’m not exactly anxious to be around…you know who…but I need to help. I have to.”

“I can kick some demon ass,” Angel nodded in agreement, patting Dru’s hand comfortingly in an almost automatic reaction to her sad tone. “And come on, we’re a team!”

“Kitt—Buffy, remember they’ve helped before, and been extremely valuable assets,” William said as he emerged from his office, and stopped short when he saw his private collection of weapons on the ground. He scurried forward quickly and began to gather them up and move them to the table, glaring at his Slayer.

“What?” She said innocently. “I was planning to pick them up eventually.”

“This is a 17th century Japanese---you know what, never mind,” He lovingly stroked the handle of a elaborate sword. “Just don’t put these on the floor.”

“Fine sir, I’m sorry sir,” Buffy pouted.

“You should be.” The exchange was similar to ones they’d had time and again, yet this time there was a tangible undercurrent of flirtation that Drusilla noticed instantly. She eyed the pair curiously as they bent over the table together, bantering lightly over the weapons.

“That’s a sissy scythe,” Buffy insisted. “I don’t want a girly weapon.”

William stared at her, mouth agape. “How the bleeding hell is this a sissy scythe?”

“It’s too small! And the handle, it’s all…shiny.”

“Are you intentionally trying to annoy me?”

“Is it working?”

“Oh, my,” Drusilla murmured to herself happily as she watched the two shift a bit closer together, elbows barely touching.

“Oh, my what?” Angel asked curiously, looking over from where he’s been practicing some of the boxing William had taught him.

“Nothing, nothing,” she replied, choosing to leave him in the dark as usual. With one more glance at the Watcher and Slayer, she returned to her spellbook.


The lightheartedness of the afternoon faded along with the sun, and once night had officially fallen, the group was tense with the realization that they’d be fighting Menithea and the vampires in just twenty-four hours.

“We should just look at it the same as any other time we’ve had to fight the Big Bad!” Drusilla said with forced cheer. “I mean, what makes this so different?”

“Three really evil vampires and a demon with claws like Wolverine and the ability to kill us a lot deader than usual?” Angel said helpfully.

“Thanks, Angel. That was exactly not what I needed to hear,” Buffy sighed and dropped her head onto the desk, mind swimming with the battle tactics and weapons lessons that had been imparted in her brain over the last few hours.

William reached out to rub her back comfortingly, but pulled away like he’d been burned when he caught Drusilla’s seemingly knowing gaze. “Ah. Well. We should all get some rest, perhaps. Buffy and I won’t be in school tomorrow, so---“

“We won’t?” She popped her head up.

“No, there’s further preparations to be done. You need to be trained to utilize the appropriate weapons and---”

“But it’s her birthday!” Angel pointed out. “If she doesn’t come to school I don’t have an excuse to ditch fourth period and take her to lunch.”

“You can do that Friday,” William said firmly as he stood up. “That’s when we’ll all celebrate. Sound good, Buffy?”

“Sure,” she shrugged, suppressing any disappointment at William’s business-like approach to her birthday as she watched him disappear into his office. “World saveage, more important than fun and cake. There was going to be cake, right?”

“There can still be cake!” Drusilla said happily. “After we kick some demon butts, we’ll eat cake.”

“Okay, delay cake a day, save the world. Not a bad tradeoff.”

“And just think, no one will ever know…you know I could use this to get girls. They like the whole superhero thing,” Angel mused, flexing his biceps.

“Excuse me, since when are you a superhero?” Buffy teased, rolling her eyes at Drusilla.

The other girl chimed in. “Yeah, Angel. I mean, telling Darla you fight demons is all well and good, but what if she had been there that time you almost got eaten by the praying mantis lady---“

“Okay, just for the record? She wouldn’t want to eat me anymore. If you catch my drift.” He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively at them.

“Ew!” The two girls squealed, simultaneously tossing their pencils towards him. Buffy felt only a the faintest twinge of sadness as she thought of this Angel with Darla, and realized any residual feelings for her ex had nearly faded.

They continued to banter lightly as Drusilla and Angel gathered up their belongings to head home, their laughter doing a good job of pushing away their fears.

In his office, William took a deep breath and worked on calming himself down. He knew instantly when his eyes met Dru’s that she had suspicions about him and Buffy. The girl was startlingly perceptive, and considering how foolishly he acted every time he was in the presence of his Slayer, he wasn’t surprised that Drusilla had picked up on it. He didn’t necessarily fear that she’d tell anyone about her suspicions, but the idea of being found out still weighted heavy on his conscience as he straightened up his messy desk and waited for the sounds of conversation outside his door to wind down.

It did quickly, and he heard Buffy saying goodbye to her two friends. Seconds later, there was a knock at the door and she opened it quickly.

“Didn’t say you could come in,” William teased, leaning back on the couch and spreading his arms over the back.

“Excuse me for being rude,” Buffy said sullenly. “Are we ready to go?”

“Hey, what’s wrong?” He moved towards her instantly and slid an arm around her waist. “You seem mad.”

“Not mad. Tired.”

“Okay, not mad, upset.”

“I’m not---fine, okay, I am,” she sighed. “Not at you, it just…I mean, birthdays are stupid and I know you get one every year and technically I’ve already had a seventeenth birthday---“

“Oh, that’s what this is about?” William relaxed instantly and chuckled softly.

“Don’t make fun of me!” Buffy snapped. “I’m not trying to be---“

“Not making fun of you, baby,” he insisted firmly, kissing her on the forehead before explaining. “You just don’t need to be upset. I have plans for tomorrow.”

“Yeah, plans. Like training and violence and---“

“No, no. Birthday plans. Special plans.”

Buffy stared at him blankly, then her eyes brightened when she understood. “You’re so bad! You’re taking me out of school for my birthday?”

A slow smirk spread across his face. “Maybe. You’ll just have to wait till tomorrow to see, won’t you?”

“Oh my God, I totally love you!” she squealed happily, kissing his cheek and wrapping him in a hug, completely missing the way her casual declaration affected William. “I’m officially past upset, and moving into the realm of happy. You won’t tell me what we’re doing? Please?....Spike?”

His brain had short-circuited the second those words had fallen from Buffy’s lips, even though rationally he knew they’d just been an excited utterance from a teenage girl used to exaggerating. But still, his heart was pounding and he felt lightheaded with a horrible combination of guilt and lust welling up inside him. “Sorry, but no, pet,” he finally replied. “It’s a surprise.”

Buffy frowned at him, totally unaware of what she’d said. “Are you okay, now? You look pale.”

“I’m great, love,” he smiled at her, suddenly pressing her backwards until she hit the door, his mouth instantly coming down to find her neck. “Just missed you today.”

“Missed…you…too…” His lips and teeth were doing wickedly wonderful things to her throat. She had no idea that area was so sensitive, her knees were already shaking and her breath was starting to come faster. Angel had stayed away from that area for obvious reasons, and William had only paid a little attention to it before. But now he was worshipping the tender skin of her throat with his lips and teeth, murmuring words she couldn’t make out.

He pulled away suddenly, eyes burning brightly, and nodded his head approvingly. “Perfect.”

“What’s perfect?” Buffy moved her hand up and touched her wet, tender skin, then realized. “You gave me a hickey!”

“That I did,” he grinned. “You’re marked, and officially mine.” He grabbed his jacket casually and slid on his glasses.

“I can’t believe you gave me a hickey!” She whined quietly as William grabbed her hand and led her out to grab her schoolbag. “What are you, fourteen?”

“You heal fast, and you know you liked it,” he shrugged casually as she slipped on her jacket. “Now, come with me, or I’ll have to---“

“Mr. Pratt?” A high voice came from the library door.

William snapped his head towards that direction, wondering how long the short girl had been standing there. “Um, yes?” He asked, stepping away from Buffy as casually as possible.

“Are you closed? I really need books for my biology project.”

“No, not closed, it’s fine,” he insisted. “Buffy, why don’t you---“

“Wait in the car, got it. Keys?”

“Here,” he dug them out of his pocket and thrust them at her quickly.

Buffy glanced at the other student, who’s name she thought might be Claire, and smiled at her quickly before scurrying out to the teacher’s parking lot. She unlocked the doors to the Desoto, the only car left in the lot, and sighed unhappily once she was settled on the seat.

She had seen the look of panic in Spike’s eyes when the girl had walked in, but was sure that she hadn’t seen or heard anything, not really. Things were going so amazingly well, the last thing they needed was for William to suddenly feel guilty again, to feel like they could be found out. There had to be a way to ease his fears, to convince him that there was nothing wrong with what they were doing. He’d seemed so comfortable the last few days, but she just knew a little thing like this could send him away from her again.

In need of some background noise for her thoughts, she stuck the keys in the ignition and turned on the radio, wincing at the awful punk music coming out of the speakers and quickly switching it to the local pop station.

Buffy saw William heading towards her, face twisted worriedly and the duffel bag of weapons tightly clutched in his hand. He opened the trunk, tossed it in, then came around to the driver’s side door and pulled it open violently.

He shut off the music, slammed his door, and wouldn’t look at her. Together they watched Claire, or maybe it was Callie, as she staggered under the weight of the books she carried to the bus stop. The silence held for a few more minutes until the bus showed up, and the girl disappeared down the street.

“We should have been more careful,” William said quietly.

“I know. I’m sorry,” Buffy stared down at her folded hands in her lap, the threat of tears pricking her eyes. “You’re not...”

“Not what?” He still wasn’t looking at her.

“Not…I mean, I don’t know if we’re really together so we can’t really break-up, but---“

He turned towards her finally, horrified, started to reach for her then pulled back when he remembered where they were. “Love, no. I…God, I’m such a ponce. I’m not mad at you and it’s not your fault. We just do need to be more careful, yeah?”

“Yeah, I know. She didn’t see anything, though!”

“I know, I know she didn’t. But she easily could have. And…I think Drusilla may have sensed something as well.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. At school…we just have to keep our hands off each other, I think. It’s too risky.”

“I’m not the one who has trouble keeping my hands to myself,” Buffy teased, calmed by William’s soft smile.

“Not nice to lie, kitten,” he frowned as he turned the keys fully to start the car’s engine. “I know you can’t keep your mitts off my hot, tight little body.”

“In your dreams.”

“You have no idea how long I’ve been dreaming.” He said this nervously, eyes sliding over to hers as he backed out of his parking spot, checking for her reaction. She stared at him for a moment, before an impossibly bright smile lit up her entire face. The image of her at that exact moment was instantly committed to his memory, and he continued casually, “Now, let me get you home where I can fully apologize for making you worry.”

“I have no problem with that,” she shifted a bit closer to him and rested her hand on his thigh as they pulled out of the parking lot, rubbing gentle circles. “Does it involve chocolate?”

“It could.” They drove in comfortable quiet for a few minutes, her hand never stilling, until William said, “Oh, and just so you know. As far as I’m concerned, we’re together.”

Buffy turned to look at his slightly blushing face, and giggled. “Really?”

“Yes, really. Now get on your side of the car, you’re distracting me.”

“Whoops.” She slid back on her side and they sped towards home, hardly going a few blocks before their fingers were linked together in the middle of the seat.


Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think! I'd appreciate it mucho.