Chapter 9: Encore


(French, meaning 'again') A call from the audience at a concert for an extra or repeated performance. The word encore is also used to describe the music played in response to this call from an enthusiastic audience. The French shout 'bis' rather than 'encore'


3 months later...

Spike walked out onto the stage of the concert hall to the applause of the audience.

He smiled and stood in front of the grand piano to address them.

"Thank you. This is my first concert since my decision to start performing again."

The audience applauded again, more loudly.

"It's good to be back on a stage. Before I begin, there are a some people that I would like to thank." Spike looked up at the V.I.P. box where Wesley, Joyce and Buffy sat. "My cousin, Wesley Wyndham-Pryce."

Wesley looked flustered. He smiled and waved a little at the other people clapping and looking up at him.

"Ms. Joyce Summers."

Joyce looked more at ease than Wesley, enjoying the attention. She grinned and waved to everyone.

"And Miss Buffy Summers," Spike said, giving his earlobe a tug. (That was his way he told her he would say 'I love you' to her)

Buffy smiled at Spike and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. (That was her way of saying 'I love you too')

Spike continued, "My three special guests for tonight have all, in their own ways, shown me that this is where I belong. On a stage and playing for the masses. This is what I love to do, and I couldn't be happier that I'm finally getting back to it." He smiled up at the box again. "Thank you."

The audience applauded as Spike took his place at the grand piano.

Joyce leaned over to whisper to Buffy. "I'm flattered. But I really don't know what I did to help him."

"Like he said, you encouraged him in your own way, Mom," Buffy said quietly.

Then she settled in to listen and watch her lover play.

"My first song is a true classic. It's one of my favorites, I hope it's one of yours too," Spike said into the microphone.

He straightened his posture then began to play. Instead of something by Beethoven or Mozart, Spike started playing, 'Great Balls of Fire' by Jerry Lee Lewis.

Buffy giggled. Her man could be so crazy and unconventional. She was torn between watching him sing and flail about and watching the audience react with shock then amusement.

Spike and Buffy smiled and eyed each other, trying not to be too obvious. Spike thought that this song was perfect for the two of them.

The message of the song wasn't lost on Buffy. She bopped in her seat, clasping her hands in front of her and smiled at him. She clapped and cheered the loudest at Spike's antics. He kicked over the piano bench, just like she hoped he would.

Spike smiled brightly at the clapping audience when he finished.

"Wasn't what you were expecting? Sorry, it's been a while for me. I'll behave myself from here on out, promise." He stood the bench back up to the light laughter of the audience, then sat down at the piano. "I think this will be more to your liking."

His face took on that look of concentration that Buffy knew so well. So sexy.

Spike started playing Chopin's 'Fantasie Impromptu'. One of Buffy's favorites. She was lifted up, buoyed by the up-tempo song. She loved seeing that look on Spike's face, knowing that it was all for her. She
would catch him glancing and smirking up at her every now and again.

'That's my girl. Never gonna let her go.' Spike thought, playing for her.

'So beautiful. So passionate. My Spike.' Buffy thought, smiling down on him. Her love and her devotion for Spike blooming.

Neither of them could wait to sneak off to be alone later. Maybe they could even get access to a grand piano...


The End


**Additional Credit: 'Breathless' lyrics by Ottis Blackwell.
Hear Jerry Lee's rendition at: http://dapatchy.com/oldies/ (RealPlayer is required)