It was late. It had been an interesting and exhausting day. Mostly everyone was asleep. Everyone, except for Lorne. He sat in the lounge in front of the piano. He put his sea breeze drink on top of it, then began to play Billy Joel's "Just The Way you Are". He sang along,

"Don't go changing, to try and please me. You never let me down before

Don't imagine you're too familiar. And I don't see you anymore..."


Buffy stirred in bed. She felt Spike's arms around her as she opened her eyes. She watched his chest move as he breathed. His face was so peaceful. Her heart burned. He had fought so hard to be where he is right now, just to have it taken away. It wasn't fair and his child? Is that even an option? The thought gave her feeling of excitement and despair. They viewed the texts with skepticism, though. Why would they be hidden from Angel? It was very... hole-y.

Looking back at Spike, she brushed his cheek with her finger. She didn't want to leave his side but she couldn't sleep and she felt the need to talk to Lorne. So she rose from the bed she shared with Spike and slipped on her clothes. She knew she wouldn't be able to sit still until she had some more information.


Angel sat in the courtyard re-reading the notes on the prophecy. He held the texts, occasionally thumbing through the pages as if he missed something. He barely heard Gunn and Illyria approach him from behind.

"Angel, you okay?" Gunn asked him.

Without raising his head, Angel responded, "Yea, just going over this and I really wish Wes was here." He placed the books down on the bench and rose. "Why didn't I know about these?"

"How could you? I mean, the Powers that Be only gave you the info they wanted to give you. Why would they tell you anything more about the Shanshu?"

"Unless it was never there." Illyria said.

Both looked at her.

"Blue?" Gunn asked.

Illyria eyed Gunn then Angel. "Why are we suddenly hearing about this portion of an old ancient prophecy now? We had every book and text at our disposal in there."

Angel turned towards the lobby of the hotel. "Wes had every book and text at his disposal. The rest of us couldn't have cared less. But whatever it is, I smell something foul. Something isn't right."


Exiting the elevator Buffy spotted Lorne by the piano. He stopped playing and rose quickly after their eyes met. Buffy smiled as she neared him. He seemed tired to her, but still composed. He smelled like alcohol which made her wonder how long he had been down here drinking.

"Buf, care for a cocktail? Thanks to all that is holy for a full stocked hotel bar." Lorne joked.

Buffy smiled. "Can we talk?"

Lorne motioned for her to sit on the piano bench. He put his drink down and rubbed his knees. " Hey, I know this all must seem, other worldy, but I don't think anything has been set in stone."

Buffy glanced at her feet. She was tired, but her mind reeled. "Can you tell me everything you saw?"

"Buffy, this past year, do you know what Spike has been doing?"

Buffy swallowed. She wasn't sure if she wanted to hear the rest. She sat, silent, though awaiting his next words.

"He has been fighting with us. Helping people. Saving people. He is a hell of a guy. I think it may be of utmost importance that he sees that too. You get me?"

"You saw things when he sang. He told me most of it. What..." Buffy felt sad suddenly like she wanted to cry. She held back, knowing not to make a scene.

Lorne's sighed. "Listen, Power Girl, something is definitely weird about those texts. I don't know for sure but if you ask me, I wouldn't trust it... entirely. I think there's something behind all of this and it's toying with Spike's destiny."

"and... our baby?"

She couldn't even imagine having a child, not now. With her slaying and duties, she just couldn't see it on her schedule. It wasn't like she never wanted a family, it just didn't seem like now would be a good time to start.

"If that happens, you will welcome it, Buffy. No matter what schedule you're on." Lorne assured her.

Buffy choked, not knowing how he could have known her thoughts. "I know, it's just that... with Spike?"

Lorne smiled. "I think so. I believe what I saw was yours and his little rugrat. But Buffy, this other path, this not so happy one, you need to take them seriously because one of them is bound to happen, ya know?"

"Thanks Lorne. I just want to find out what in the hell is happening and why is it happening to Spike. He doesn't deser..."

"Deserve it. No, he deserves the happy, blissful life and I know you can help him see that." Lorne interrupted.

Buffy rose and headed toward the hotel entrance. Looking back , she smiled at Lorne, then walked outside. Angel appeared from around the corner with Gunn and Illyria. He threw the texts down hard onto the table near Lorne.

"I think we're being played." Angel said.


Spike slowly open his eyes. He sleepily turned and looked at the clock. 11 A.M. He reached to his left for Buffy, but she wasn't there. He sat up, still dazed.

"Where'd ya go, luv?"


Robin gave Faith a farewell kiss. He was taking their slayers back to Cleveland, where they were needed. Since nothing has happened in L.A. for the past twenty-four hours, they felt it was time to depart. Faith insisted on staying to help Buffy and Spike figure out the prophecy business. She hugged Robin, hard and then glanced at the elevator doors opening.

Spike exited the elevator. Robin whispered something to one of the girls and walked over to him.

"Look, you and I well... I don't need to go there. I thought I could never forgive you for taking my mother's life. I thought you were the worst monster that ever walked this earth. Soul or not."

Spike stared straight into Robin's eyes. He wasn't sure why Robin was reminding him of the monster he was, but it was making Spike furious. "Look, Wood. Memory lane is a bit crowded right now, can we take this up another time?"

Robin didn't break his gaze. "I know things are different for you now. And I just wanted to let you know that I'm hoping those texts are wrong. " Robin said. He turned and walked off.

Spike was surprised at the change in Robin Wood. He smiled and walked into the lounge, his stomach growled.

Faith followed Spike. She watched him for a few seconds and realized how sad he looked. It was a huge difference than the Spike she saw in Buffy's basement. Back in Sunny D Faith recalled him looking... happy. She remembered he and Buffy had become pretty close. Close enough for Buffy to get jealous when she caught Faith sitting on his bed, chatting him up. It was cute. Now he had a lost look to him. Ever since the words of the damn prophecy were spoken.

She approached him, slowly. He continued eating, as if he didn't hear her coming.

"Now that you have breath, best be careful the way you scoff that food down," Faith joked.

Spike looked up, chewing. He gave her a big grin.

"There's it is!" She smiled back.

He swallowed his food and took a swig from bottle of beer. "Yea, need to remember that"

Faith sat across from him and grabbed a roll off his plate. "Kinda cool having food and drink at our disposal, huh?" she asked.

Spike took another swig. " Yea. I'm thinking... why hasn't anyone come back here. No management, owners... odd ."

"Right?" Faith agreed. She took a bite of the roll and leaned back in her chair.

"Have you seen Buffy?" he asked her.

Faith looked around, confused. "She's not upstairs?"

Spike shook his head. "She wasn't in the room when I woke up. Thought you might have seen her come through here."

There was a hint of concern in his voice. He was trying to hide it. Since he's been back, he and Buffy really hadn't been apart. When he woke up alone, he just figured she'd come down here for food or coffee.

"I'm sure she's around," Faith assured him.

Spike nodded then finished his beer. He felt uneasy. But he agreed with Faith. She probably didn't go far.


Buffy walked through the L.A. streets. The day was beautiful and bright. More so than yesterday. Guilt swept over her that she left without telling Spike, but she felt like her heart was on overload. Feelings of self pity ran through her all night. She'd be selfish to share it with Spike. She couldn't tell him that she felt jinxed. That she was never meant to have a relationship that didn't end with death or abandonment. He must be so scared, the last thing he needed to hear was Buffy's self pity cries.

She came to a park and sat on a bench that over looked a small pond. The sun's reflection bounced off the water. Here was where she can clear her head. Away from everyone. Alone. She thought of yesterday, feeling Spike's heart beat for the first time. It sent chills through her. He was so different, yet still... Spike. She realized how much humanity he already had, before the Shanshu.

And then Angel. He's been really supportive. It impressed her. Everyone seemed to be blowing her away lately. Except her. She was mad at herself. She was mad at the world. She spent a good part of the night awake, harping on the way this entire world seemed to hate her. Something refused to let her be happy. And she didn't know why.

Many hours passed. Spike sat in the courtyard. He spent most of the day catching up with Dawn, hearing her stories about Antoine. He grilled her, like a protective older brother, about how well she knew her boyfriend. It was nice talking to Dawn. He missed her. She was a bright light in the darkness of the world.

"So, am I going to be the designated sitter for my future niece or nephew?" Dawn joked.

But Spike didn't laugh. Or smile.

"Dawn. We don't know... even if the words to the texts are real... we don't know..." Spike's last word cracked. He hated not knowing.

"I... I'm sorry Spike. I just thought..." Dawn tried to get him to look at her, but he just stared down at his feet.

"I know, bit. It would be somethin', wouldn't it?" he said, actually smiling at her.

Dawn smiled big. She wanted him to smile. And now he did. But she can tell he was still worried about Buffy. She'd been gone all day.

Spike got up to leave. He leaned over and kissed Dawn on the forehead. She was shocked by the intimacy, but loved it all the same.

He walked through the lobby to the exit. He searched for Buffy outside. He didn't have his tingly vampire senses anymore, so tracking her was going to be harder than he thought. He walked through the streets, eying every alley, restaurant, coffee house. No Buffy. Dark clouds began to roll in. He strolled, hands in the pockets of his jeans. As he passed by a store front, he noticed his reflection in the window. He saw himself in his green tee and jeans. He chuckled. He wished Buffy was there walking with him, holding his hand. He stopped and stared at himself. His heart broke. After tomorrow, he may never see Buffy again, or their unborn child. Fury built up in him. He cursed this sodding prophecy. He was going to find out more about this string pulling nonsense and stop it. Maybe he did have a chance. He had to believe it. Even if his heart told him he didn't deserve it.


Buffy yawned. The silence of the park had her fighting to keep her eyes open. She gazed at the ducks in the pond, swimming around, dunking their heads. She wished her life could be that simple. Swim around, dunk your head, swim around, what a life! The birds above her sang from the trees. Their sweet melodies soothed her. She'd just close her eyes for a minute. That's all. Just a...

Buffy walked through a narrow street. She carried a stake, just in case. She heard laughter. A man and woman's. She turned left and the path became darker. She held her stake tight as the laughter became louder. She turned the next corner quickly. Against a building there was a man and a woman. The man was kissing the woman, and fondling her. The woman laughed and purred with pleasure.

There was something familiar about them. They were dressed in 19th century clothing. The man had light brown wavy hair. Buffy got closer. She stepped on a twig and the sound of it seemed awfully loud. The man turned. Spike? He looked at Buffy. He had blood around his mouth, dripping down his chin. The woman emerged from his grip. It was Drusilla. She approached Buffy. Spike just stood frozen and watched her. Buffy lifted her stake to Drusilla.

"What did you do to him?" Buffy shouted.

Drusilla had a blank look on her face. So Buffy asked again.

"What did you do to him!?" Buffy shouted again.

Drusilla looked at Spike and flashed a huge grin. "He came, like a dream. The warrior. No one else noticed. But I did. He's home now," Drusllia said softly.

Buffy looked in horror. "What?" she tried to say it, but nothing came out.

Drusilla walked back and joined Spike. He laughed loudly as he watched Buffy's expression. Buffy's heart broke. She turned and ran, still hearing the horrible laughter echo through the streets. Looking up with tears in her eyes, rain drops began hitting her face. It rained harder and harder, she was lost.

Buffy awoke suddenly. She was still on the bench. It was raining. She shivered and held her arms to her chest. She thought of Spike. The dream was horrible. She looked around at her surroundings. The sky was dark.

God, how long was I asleep for? She thought. She got up and searched for the exit. The park was getting dark and the rain was relentless. She wished she'd brought a coat.

Searching for the familiar path she took when she came in, she saw a figure in the distance. She tried to make it out. Why would someone else be as stupid as she is, walking through the park in the rain? The figure came closer. She knew that green shirt.

Spike.

He spotted her and walked faster towards her. Buffy stood in place. Something inside her didn't want him to get any closer. The pain in her heart was unbearable, seeing him just made it harder. How did he find her?

He ran to her, catching his breath. "Buffy. I've been looking all over for you! Why are you here... in the rain?" Spike asked her.

Buffy turned from him. She didn't respond. Spike bent his head and stared intensely in to her eyes.
"Buffy, are you okay?" The rain seemed to disappear to them. Although, it pounded down hard.

"I just wanted to be alone. I needed time." Buffy told him.

This confused Spike. Time? That was one thing they didn't have.

"Time... for what?" he asked, annoyed.

Buffy looked at him again. She had no clue why she was doing this to him. It was like she was on autopilot. She searched for the right words, but nothing seemed to make sense. She just knew that her heart couldn't take anymore... loss.

"I don't know Spike. I can't do this... anymore," she said.

Spike frowned. "What's that supposed to mean? You can't do what?" His blood was boiling.

Buffy turned. She couldn't look him in the eyes. She knew she was hurting him, and it killed her. "I need to get inside, this rain is really irritating," she said as she walked past him. He grabbed her arm. She turned to him swiftly.

"No, tell me what in the bloody hell you're talking about!" he yelled at her.

Buffy's eyes widened. He looked at her with fire in his eyes. He was still out of breath, and she was pissing him off. "Spike, let go!" she scolded.

He didn't. He squeezed tighter. She yanked herself out of his grip and shook off the pain.

"I can't do this with you anymore! It hurts too much. Everyone I love ends up leaving... or dying! I just can't..."

Buffy fought the tears back. She wanted nothing more than to be in his arms. She hated herself right now. She just told herself that she'd rather pull away from him now, than to get closer. Only to watch him die. Again.

"We never had a chance, Spike. We're not meant to..." She choked on her words and turned to walk away. After a second of hesitation, Buffy left.

Spike looked on at her in disbelief. His entire world just crumbled. What could he say to her? How could he convince her to change her mind? Spike stood there in shock. The rain poured down even harder as he watched her go. He looked around like the lost child he felt like. He wanted to run after her, but he couldn't. His world was spinning.

He turned and walked slowly, staring at the ground. He was oblivious to the rain. It could wash him away for all he cared. Buffy confused the hell out of him. He knew she didn't mean what she was saying, but he was not the one to convince her otherwise. Spike spotted the pond. The lights surrounding the path sparkled in the droplets hitting the water. He stared into it, lost in his own head. He didn't notice the demons approaching him to his right. There were three of them. Two were Friglog demons, the other one, no clue. Spike raised his head when the heard something approach. The Friglogs were big. Their arms huge and bumpy. Slime oozed from their mouths. The odd demon glared at Spike with its red eyes. Its ears were pointed, sort of like Spock. It wasn't as big the other two, but Spike stepped back after seeing its sword-like arms.

"Right," Spike said.

He jumped up and did a roundhouse kick into the red eyed demon's face. It fell back in pain. The Friglog's moved in and each grabbed one of Spike's arms. Spike struggled to free himself from their grip. The red eyed demon jumped to its feet and licked its lips. It drew its arm swords and slashed Spike's chest. Spike roared. He pushed his body against the Friglog's and lifted his feet up in the air. He gave a swift kick in the chest of the red-eyed demon. It flew back. Spike then bent down and pulled the Friglog's close to him, knocking them into each other causing them to release their grip. Spike jumped from them and turned quickly to fight. The red-eyed demon let out a sickening laugh.

"Don't fight. You can't win," It said.

Spike looked in it's direction and laughed back at it, hard. The demon grew angry and charged. Spike ducked out of the way leaving the demon to fall flat on his face. The Friglogs charged as well. Spike laughed as he jumped away from them.

"Look, I've had one hell of an evening..." Spike swung his fist and cracked the jaw of one Friglog. It fell down and held it's face.

Spike continued, "And I don't fancy being out here in the rain.." He slammed his foot into the head of the one on the ground, hearing it crack.

The other Friglog looked on in horror. Red-Eye came crashing down on Spike, toppling him to the ground. It mounted Spike and held it's sword arm up. Spike smiled at it, confusing him.

"I have a woman to get home to. So, if you'll accuse me..."

Spike slammed his knee into the demon's back. It rolled off of him in pain. Spike jumped to his feet and brushed himself off. He turned to the scared Friglog. It looked at him and ran the other way. Spike shook his head.

Red-Eye rose up and limped over to Spike. It actually tried to slash him again, but Spike caught it's arm and bent it backwards. It hollered in pain. Spike held on tight and swung the demon around and into the pond. He stood for a moment to see if it would rise up from the water, but it didn't.

Spike turned and made his way to the exit of the park, his heart racing from the excitement. His clothes were glued to him. Every inch of him was soaked. He had to back to the hotel, back to Buffy and talk this out. He knew she loved him. He knew it. He felt it. So, why was she doing this? Why did she give up?

No, she didn't.

His heart knew she didn't.