The day was in full gear. Xander and Issa made their way to the lounge for some breakfast. Willow and Kennedy were cheerfully whipping up some omelets, sandwiches, and fresh fruit salad. Andrew helped, excited about the amount of ingredients he had to work with. Dawn leaned against the kitchen counter reading off recipes. Flour was all over the place, even on Andrews face.

"Andrew, you're such a slob!' Dawn jabbed.

Andrew turned in a huff with a big mixing bowl in one hand, spoon in another. "I'll have you know, small wonder, that the way to tell a real chef is so see what a mess he makes when he's cooking,"

Dawn rolled her eyes, then stepped out of the kitchen over to the dining area next to Xander. Giles entered the room, tea in hand. He placed it down on the table as he pulled a chair out for himself. Xander and Issa were sgiggling and kissing. The sight caused Giles look away.

"Hey Giles!" Dawn saved him. "Sleep okay?"

Giles, relieved Dawn was there. "Oh, yes. very well, thank you. Have you seen Buffy?"

Dawn looked around the room. "Nope, Not yet."

Andrew came through the swinging door with a plate full of pancakes. He clutched a bottle of syrup with his spare pinky. He clumsily dropped the plate into the table and smiled.

"Oo! yummy!" Xander rubbed his hands together and licked his lips. "I don't get to eat this in Africa!"

He was the first to plunge into them, forking a few on to his plate. Issa grinned. "Leave some for the rest of us," she told him.

He grinned with his mouth full.

Giles flipped the page of the newspaper he was reading, covering his face so not to see Xander stuff his. Kennedy walked through the swinging door holding a platter of omelets and toast. Willow following her bringing sandwiches. She turned to Dawn.

"Uh, Dawnie, can you go grab the fruit inside?" Willow asked her.

Dawn pouted with a mouthful of pancake. "Fom"

Xander leaned in to Issa. "That's 'fine' in stuffed mouth language." Issa laughed then kissed him. Giles flipped the paper, once again as if annoyed.

Faith and Robin joined the group and their eyes lit up. "Wow, a feast!" Faith gleamed.

Andrew looked up with pride. "Omelets and pancakes are limited, but there's enough sandwiches and fruit to feed an army. Like us," Andrew told them.

The room filled up quickly with hungry slayers. A still weakened Gunn made his way for some nosh. He was starving. Willow turned to him to see if he was okay.

"Hey Gunn, so glad your up and about. How are you doing?" Willow asked.

Gunn winced in pain as he slowly sat in a chair, sandwich in hand. "Better. Where's Angel and Smurfette?"

Andrew looked over at Gunn and chuckled. "Smurfette, such a good name for her," Andrew joked.

"Yea, just don't call her that to her face, unless you really wish your head was on the other way," Gunn warned.

At that moment, Angel and Illyria entered. Gunn widened his eyes at Andrew as if to tell him not to say anything. Andrew understood.

"Angel, Some of the girls got up early, so I sent them on a blood run for you. There's some in the fridge." Willow said to him pointing towards the kitchen. He smiled and thanked her. As he rose from his chair, Buffy and Spike walked in. He nodded at them then went to get his breakfast.

"Oh, pancakes," Buffy said. She quickly found her way to the table and made a plate. Spike looked at all the food with enthusiasm. He couldn't wait to taste it with his newly human taste buds. Buffy made him a plate of pancakes and fruit.

Dawn watched him curiously. She wondered what it was like for him. He'd been dead for so long, living off of blood, this must be a real thrill. Then again, he did love food when he was a vampire. She never did quite get that.

"So, Spike. Is it more satisfying now that you're a human?" Dawn asked him.

Spike choked on a strawberry then realized she was talking about the food, not the activity he and Buffy had all morning. "Sure is, niblet," he replied, still eating.

Buffy smiled slyly knowing exactly what he meant.

A refreshed Angel came out of the kitchen, obviously done with his morning blood. He looked over at Buffy and Spike. This was still weird for him. Illyria watched Angel's stare.

"You want to have intercourse with her," she said to him. Those who heard her, including Buffy looked at Illyria, then to Angel in shock.

Angel felt embarrassed. "No, what?" he shockingly asked her.

Spike took another bite of a pancake and mumbled, "Chatting. That's blue's way of saying... chatting someone up" Spike informed them.

Giles let out an "ah".

Buffy looked down at her plate, shyly. Angel, still embarrassed, stepped out of the room. Buffy watched him. She squeezed Spike's knee. "I'll be right back."

Buffy followed Angel into the foyer. "Angel, you have a sec.?"

He didn't turn around. He didn't want to do this with her. He knew what she was going to say and he tried avoiding it since he saw her. Buffy walked in front of him. His gaze went from the ceiling to her. She looked so content. He frowned at the thought that she never looked so radiant.

"Angel, we should talk," she told him. "I went through a year of not knowing anything that you were up to here."

He knew part of that was Spike.

"And I came here thinking you'd be at least glad to have the help. Instead I get a cold shoulder and some blue chick sniffing me," Buffy said with a hint of anger.

"Look, I never asked you guys to come. I am grateful that we're all still alive, but Buffy. It may not have ended this way," he said sternly.

"So, you still feel the need to baby me, Angel? You still think I can't handle it?"

She was mad now. He was almost glad she was. It made it easier for him to deal with her and Spike. Spike's scent was all over her and it sickened him. "Buffy, I know what your capable of. That's not what I meant," he assured her.

She didn't buy it. She stepped closer to him. He cringed at her scent. He almost turned to walk away.

"Angel, I didn't want to argue. That's not my intent. There's more. I need to talk to you about..."

"Spike," he interrupted. He wanted to leave the building and burn up right there. Anything than to hear what was about to come out of her mouth.

"Yes," she answered. "What's our plan? We need to find out more about the shu-m... Shanshu?"

Angel sighed. "There's someone named Eve. She used to work as the liaison to the Senior Partners. She's has information about the Shanshu. Information that I haven't read. Stuff that was left out."

Buffy looked pleased. "Good, when will she be here?"

"By evening. She called earlier this morning, She had a few loose ends to tie up. Then she'll be here."

"Can we trust her Angel?"

Angel knew this answer. "No, but she has nothing to gain for lying to us. She's bringing some texts with her anyway."

Buffy smiled at him and turned to join the breakfast club. Angel felt guilty for being cold to her. He did have one thing to ask, then he didn't want to bring it up ever again.

"Buffy, wait," he called out to her. She turned and faced him.

"I know about you and Spike. I don't want the details, but I just have to know one thing."

Buffy widened her eyes awaiting his next words.

"Are you done... baking?" He felt like an idiot. She gave him that whole cookie dough speech last year and he couldn't resist. It was their code.

She smiled and walked back to the feast. She didn't answer him. Angel knew what that meant.


Some of the girls sat around the lounge. The piano was a favorite for some of them. Buffy thought she was going to scream if she heard another rendition of Heart and Soul. Giles and Robin sat across from each other at a table, Faith hanging off Robin's shoulder. Dawn and Xander were pseudo-ballroom dancing to the piano's tunes. You'd never believe they were just in a huge battle the night prior. She noticed Andrew and Spike sitting together talking on one of the sofas. Spike had a huge smile on his face. Willow sat at a table alone, typing away on her laptap. Buffy sat down next to her. It was great seeing her old friends again. She really missed them during her time in Rome. This occasion had made her realize she didn't ever want to be that far apart from them again.

"Hey Wil. Anything new on Yahoo news?" Buffy asked her. Willow shook her head.

"I was looking for more information on the Shanshu. I can't find anything new. Scrolls of Aberjian, vampire with a soul, blah blah blah, trials, blah blah, nothing about what happens afterward." Willow pouted.

"It's okay. Angel said someone's coming by later with some more info. I just hope it's happy info, not grrr info." Buffy looked back at Spike who was rising from the sofa he and Andrew shared. Willow watched Buffy's face change.

"So, Buff. You and Spike. What's up with that?" Willow asked her.

Buffy smiled at Spike, then turned to Willow. "Well, I'm not sure. I only found out yesterday that he was alive and now he is well, alive."

Spike felt her gaze and met her eyes. He smiled back at her as he made his way to the food.

"Are you... in love with him? Cus if you are that's great. I mean... I know in the past you guys were..." Willow stammered.

Spike turned their way and approached them holding a bunch of grapes, eating them off the stem. "Red," he greeted.

Buffy sighed with relief at not having to answer that.

Willow smiled at Spike. "Hey Spike. So, how ya getting used to being human. Is it weird?"

"Weird, yea. These past twenty four hours have been a head trip," he said, still munching on the grapes. "Kinda want to check out the sun. Care to join me?" he asked Buffy.

She turned to Willow. "I could use some fresh air."

"Go. Have fun. Bask for me," Willow told her.


The sun was hot and beaming. For May, it was warmer than usual. Spike held his face to the sun, absorbing it's rays.

"This feels amazing Buffy. Truly amazing," he told her.

This area was empty due to the night's events. The streets were littered with abandoned cars, bikes, etc. Spike spotted a motorcycle across the way with the keys still in the ignition. He flashed a mischievous smile at Buffy.

"Let's go for a ride. How about the beach?" Spike raced over to the bike. It was a gorgeous dark blue Harley. He couldn't resist.

Buffy looked at him, disapproving. "Spike, we don't even know who this bike belongs to. What if he's just shopping or something?" Buffy scolded, playfully.

Spike pouted. "Aw, come one. This poor bloke obviously took off leaving his nice ride here. What do ya say? Pleeeease!" he begged.

She moved closer to him and smiled. "Okay, Easy Rider. One ride, then we need to come back. I don't want to be gone that long. "

Spike grinned as he hopped on to the bike. He patted the seat in back of him. "Come on, times a wastin'."

She hopped on the back and wrapped her arms around his waist. "Shouldn't we get helmets?"

Spike turned, "We're super heroes Buffy."

He turned the key. The bike jolted to a start and made an awful rumble and they took off.

They rode through Hollywood, zooming down the Sunset Strip. The place was buzzing with activity. Buffy looked around at all the shops and restaurants. Couples sitting outside, friends enjoying drinks. It looked fun. Sometimes she'd catch people looking at them. They probably thought Spike and her were crazy riding around without helmets. Buffy prayed the cops wouldn't see them. That's all they needed. Spike drove them through West Hollywood to Beverly Hills. Mansions lined the street. It was beautiful. This was her favorite part of Sunset Boulevard. There wasn't as much traffic around here. Buffy bent her head back and closed her eyes to the sun. It felt so good to be doing this. She grabbed him tighter, hands pressing against his chest. Feeling his heartbeat sent vibrations through her.

They finally came to the end of Sunset Boulevard. The beach was ahead of them. Spike turned right. He drove until they came to a less populated area of the beach. He pulled up to the side of the road. It was a bit of a climb down to the beach, but he knew they can handle it.

Spike turned to a very cheerful Buffy. "This'll do."

Buffy grinned. She loved this area. They made their way down the cliff. The sand on the beach was getting cool. The only sound was of the waves crashing on to the sand. Buffy stopped and found a spot for them to sit.

"So," Spike started as he lowered himself to sit next to Buffy. "Let's chat." He smiled at her.

Buffy lifted her head. "I miss the gang. I miss all of us fighting together. Since the Hellmouth closed, we all went our separate ways. And you well, let's not get started on that one again."

Spike chuckled. He listened to her talk as if every word was the most important thing he had ever heard. She loved that about him. Buffy continued, "I tried to give Dawn a normal life. I don't know why I assume that would ever happen." She giggled.

"What's normal anyway to people like us? " Spike chimed in. "Before Dru came into my life, I was just a man, caring for his sickly mum, blindly pining over a woman who'd never love me back. I wrote countless amounts of poems. None of it seemed worth it."

Spike turned his gaze to the ocean. The waves were calm as the sun set upon them, catching the orange glow as it crashed. There was something about the air tonight that felt cleansed. Or maybe he just felt cleansed. "Then along came Dru. She pulled me out of mediocrity and turned me into a vampire."

Buffy watched him intensely and leaned her head into his. "Spike, You fought the demon inside. Not many vampires can say that," Buffy assured him.

"Buffy. I fell in love with a slayer. Not many vampires can say that ...well, except for Angel, but not the point. I ravaged towns and cities. I killed entire families. I..."

He paused. He knew Buffy was full aware of his evil doings but there were many things that she didn't know. Things that weren't written in the watcher's journals.

"We were animals, Buffy." He looked down again. "We lived for the kill. It's what drove us."

He tilted his head to the side and met her eyes. "Then I met you. I never could admit it at the time, Dru saw it but I didn't get it. With that bloody initiative chipping my brain, well..."

Buffy looked away. She remembered all the fights they had. All the times he tried to kill her. A chill ran down her spine.

"So, I tried to make sense of it," he continued. "I was everything you despised. I thought if I tried to... I just couldn't bare the thought of you not feeling the same. I was full on surprised when we started a sexual relationship," Spike said bluntly.

"Then you broke it off and I couldn't bare it. I attacked you. You see, I still had the demon inside, Buffy. No matter how much in love I was, it was there. After hurting you... I never looked back. I had to fix... myself."

Buffy hugged her knees in close. These memories filled her with pain. She didn't want to think of it. It was a million miles away from her.

Spike continued. "After getting my soul it made sense. Why I was the way that I was. Why you couldn't love me." He looked out into the ocean. The sun was low. It would be setting soon.

"Then you gave me a chance. You believed in me." He smiled at her. "I want you to know that with this new life I've been given, I want to truly live it. No regrets."

She turned to him and smiled back. "No regrets."