Chapter 7 – Ballad for the Lost Romantics



He was burning her through the thin material of her dress, heating her intire body with just touching the small of her back. Her heart was pounding in her chest as she stood and talked with her friends. None of them seemed to notice her excitement except for the man standing next to her with his hand on her back. He would chuckle lightly each time he felt her shiver. She knew he loved the fact that he could make her feel that way. That he loved the power over her and it made her a little bit more excited as she thought of what he could do to her.

“Care to dance, pet?” Spike’s voice brought her out of her thoughts. He stood in front of her, hand extended. She smiled, placing her small hand in his, letting him guide her to the dance floor. There, he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her flush against him. She rested her head against his chest, listening to the thumping of his heart. “You’re gourgeous you know.”

“That’s the fourth time you’ve said that tonight,” she whispered looking up at him. His blue gaze was fixed on her face, a smile upon his pink lips.

“I know. I also know I’m bound to say it a thousand more times before the night is over,” he stated chuckling. Buffy smiled, resting her head against his chest yet again, letting the music take over. “Buffy,” he whispered.

“Yes?”

“I want to tell yo-“

“And now to announce Homecoming King and Queen!” Johnathan’s voice boomed across the room, stopping Spike in the middle of his sentence. His head snapped around, sending a glare towards Johnathan. He held Buffy against him, keeping her body close to his. “Homecoming King is Angel Conner!” The crowd broke into applause as Buffy and Spike watched their friend take the stage. “And Homecoming Queen is Buffy Summers!”

“What?” both Spike and Buffy exclaimed. He looked down at her as she stared at the stage confused.

This happened every year. Angel won, a girl won. Angel gets laid. The girl goes home heartbroken. Only this year, it wasn’t just any girl. This was his.

“Will Buffy Summers please come to the stage?” Buffy looked up at Spike who smiled a small grin down at her. He placed a small kiss upon her forehead.

“Go on, just make sure he doesn’t do anything,” he whispered before he released his hold on her. He watched as she made her way up towards the stage, as she accepted her sash and went to stand next to angel who slipped his arm around her waist, holding her to him as if she were his. Spike took a deep breath, his jaw clenching and his hands balling into fists.

“Now, Angel and Buffy will share in a dance alone with the Homecoming Prince and Princess.” Angel guided her to the floor where he was met by Parker Abrams and Cordelia Chase. They stood the center, Angel placing his hands on her hips as she rested hers on his shoulders.

“So, how are you doing with Spike?” Angel asked, inching his way closer. Buffy took a small step back, away from him.

“Great,” she stated with a smile. Angel nodded, his lips forming a grin.

“Really? Is that so?” Buffy only nodded as she listened to the beat, swaying with the music, trying to think of anything but the guy holding her. “Usually Spike would have given up by now and moved on to some other girl. You must be special.” Buffy only shrugged as she closed her eyes and tried to think of anything but the hulking man in front of her who really needed a breath mint. “Have you two fucked yet?” he whispered, his breath dancing across her neck as he leaned in. It took all of what Buffy had not to punch Angel.

“No, we haven’t fucked yet Angel. Have you had too much to drink or something?”

“Yes, I am actually drunk off my ass right now so excuse me for saying anything rude. But I’m afraid being tall dark and handsome isn’t going to sway this girl I like away from some guy.” Buffy nodded, figuring it was someone else. She began to feel sorry for her red head friend who was standing next to Spike with a huge grin on her face because she had come to Homecoming with Angel.

The song is almost over, was the mantra spoken in her head. The music swayed into her ears as Angel began to move them towards the speaker, away from Spike where he began to talk but she couldn’t hear. Then the song stopped and people clapped politely before starting to crowd the room again, Spike and Willow disappearing into the crowd. “So? What do you think?”

“Huh?”

Sad, small, sweet, so delicate
We used to be this dying breed
I got a bad feeling about this
I got a bad feeling about this


The sweat on his hand seeped into her skin, making her cringe inwardly at it. Angel smiled as he leaned down towards her, his hot breath fanning across her neck. She pulled away, frowning. “What the hell are you doing?” she screamed as the speaker pounded next to her.

You kept still until the long drive home
You slept safe and close to the window...
I got a bad feeling about this
I got a bad feeling about...


A circle had started. Those types where five guys run around real fast in a circle while pushing at everyone around them. Girls threw off their shoes and held their skirts high as they began to jump up and down to the beat, waving their hands in the air. Spike looked towards the front where Buffy and Angel had disappeared. “I’m going to find Angel and Buffy ok Will?”

Who's to say you'll have to go (I could go all night)
Well say you'll have to go (I could go all...)
To hell with you and all your friends
To hell with you and all your friends, it's on


“Whatever Spike.” Spike turned to find his friend staring at a short red head standing a few feet away. It was then that he realized it was Oz from his English class. He smiled, nudging the red head towards him. “Spike! Stop pushing me! Go find Buffy!”

“His names Oz. Go talk to him.” Willow turned and smiled up at him. She shook her head sighing before she spot Buffy being pulled roughly through the double doors by Angel.

Sad, small, sure in porcelain
You're skin and bones, I'm a nervous wreck
I got a bad feeling about this (when it comes to this)
I got a bad feeling about this

“Spike! There she is!” Willow gasped, pointing excitedly over his shoulder. He turned seeing Buffy’s dress swinging in the air as Angel hauled her over his shoulder. With a solem face he began to push through the crowd of teenagers moshing or at least trying to. A bump here. A knock here. A push here. He was never going to make it. Not in time.

You kept still until the long drive home
You slept safe and close to the window
I got a bad feeling about this
I got a bad feeling about...

Who's to say you'll have to go (I could go all night)
Well say you'll have to go (I could go all...)
To hell with you and all your friends
To hell with you and all your friends, it's on

I got a bad feeling about this (what is this for?)
I got a bad feeling about...


“Let me go Angel! You’re hurting me!”

“You won’t being saying that soon,” he slurred as he fumbled with his pockets, trying to find keys to his car. Buffy growled, kicking her legs viciously as she pounded on his back with her small fists. “Will you stop that!” He tried to wrap his arm around her legs to refrain her from kicking but it only made her kick harder. With blind luck, the kicked him in the croch, sending him down and dropping her with a thud. She crawled away from her, her eyes wild with fright as she watched him groan and hold himself. “Fucking bitch!” he growled, standing up on wobbly legs.

Anyone will do tonight
Anyone will do tonight
Close your eyes, just settle, settle
Close your eyes, just settle, settle
Anyone will do tonight
Anyone will do tonight
Close your eyes, just settle, settle
Close your eyes, just settle, settle
Anyone (anyone) will do tonight
Anyone (anyone) will do tonight
Close your eyes, just settle, settle
Close your eyes, just settle, settle

Well I got a bad feeling about this,
I got a bad feeling about this (to hell with you and all your friends, it's on).
I'm coming over but it never was enough
I thought it through and my worst brings out the best in you
Well I got a bad feeling about this
I got a bad feeling about this (to hell with you and all your friends, it's on)


Spike yelled in frustration, pushing Johnathan out of his way as he reached the door. He looked around, taking a deep breath before racing down the hall towards the parking lot. There he found Buffy backing away from Angel as he advanced on her. “Angel! Stop!”

Angel only turned and looked towards Spike with a malicious grin upon his face before turning back towards Buffy who was now standing in front of him. With a swift kick, her heel connected with his groin yet again. Angel yelled out in pain, crumbling to the ground. “Stop doing that dammit!”

Buffy smiled brightly as she walked over to Spike who wrapped his arms around her waist and held her protectively. “I get that your drunk. You’re lucky I didn’t do worse. So, since you are drunk and I am in a good mood, you are forgiven of everything all though you won’t remember any of this in the morning. So, we’re going to call you a cab and you are going to go home.”

“A little too forgiving aren’t you?” Spike asked. She only smiled and patted him on the back before rushing back into the dance to meet up with Willow and share her adventers of the night. Spike only chuckled before turning back on Angel. “You’re lucky this is the first time you pulled a stunt like this. Otherwise, you’d be dead.” Angel sighed, leaning up against his car as he held himself.

“Fuck you Spike. Fuck you.”

“No thanks. Do you think you can handle yourself?” Spike asked as he began to walk backwards towards the school. Angel turned and looked at him, a frown upon his face. “I’ll take that as a yes. Listen, there’s still time and if your stuff isn’t damaged, I’m sure you can get Darla to sleep with you.”

By the time Spike reentered the dance, Willow and Oz were chatting animatedly as Buffy, Cordelia and Xander danced happily to the song. He smiled as he watched her, her hair flying wildly around as she danced to the beat of the song. The night wasn’t turning out so bad after all.

I'm coming over but it never was enough
I thought it through and my worst brings out the best in you
Well I got a bad feeling about this
I got a bad feeling about this (to hell with you and all your friends, it's on)
I'm coming over but it never was enough,
I thought it through and my worst brings out the best in you
Well I got a bad feeling about this,
I got a bad feeling about this (in you...).
I'm coming over but it never was enough,
I thought it through and my worst brings out the best in you
I got a bad feeling about this,
I got a bad feeling about this (in you...).
I'm coming over but it never was enough
I thought it through and my worst brings out the best in you
I got a bad feeling about this,
I got a bad feeling about this,

I got a bad feeling about this (I am you)
I got a bad feeling about this (I am you)
I got a bad feeling about this (I am you)
I got a bad feeling about this (I am you)

I got it bad (I am you)
I got it bad
I got it bad
I got it bad
I got it bad
I got it bad



TBC…