Chapter 4 - One More Downfall


Buffy sat on a blanket placed on the grass, taking a bit out of the slice of apple from the container in front of her. She didn't listen to the conversation that was taking place around her. She only watched as her confidant's legs ran in long strong hard strokes as he kicked the ball in front of his only to pass it to Xander. "So, what's up with you and Mr. Salty Goodness?" Cordelia asked as she watched Xander running clumsily, trying to keep the ball under his control. It didn't last long because Angel ran up behind him and kicked his legs out from under him sending Xander sprawled out on the ground.
"Cheater!" they heard him cry out as he stood up only to tackle the taller boy to the ground. Buffy didn't answer, just took another piece of apple and slipped it into her mouth.
"Hello? Buffy? Anybody home?" Cordelia called, waving her hand in front of Buffy, snapping her out of her trance.
"Oh! What?"
"I said what's going on between you and our Spike." Buffy sighed. She had hoped she wouldn't have to answer any questions concerning them since she wasn't quiet sure what they were.
"Oh. Umm. Nothing. Well, not nothing. I'm not sure?" she said, smiling sheepishly at them.
"Not sure?" Cordy prompted, plopping a grape into her mouth.
"I think we're almost together. Like we are but not officially." Cordelia smiled, shaking her head.
"Just like him."
"Well, I wouldn't blame him! Dru did break up with him a week ago I think," Willow stated as she watched Spike barrel into Angel and kick into his goal before throwing his hands in the air in success.
"Who's Dru?" Buffy asked, looking at both Willow and Cordelia before returning her gaze to Spike.
"You mean you haven't heard of the infamous Drusilla Graves?" Cordy asked, nodding when Buffy shook her head no. "Well, he and Dru are both Brits so they bonded instantly. He fell head over heels in love with her. They went out for two years and then just last week, he found her in bed with Riley Finn, that basket ball star at school. Anyways, Spike being the romantic he is tried to forgive and forget. But Drusilla decided she was sick of him and dumped him last week." Buffy nodded, suddenly understanding why he had come to her crying the night before.
"So. I'm rebound."
"No you're not! You're not rebound! You're un-rebound-y!" Willow stated, patting Buffy on her back.
"Well, even if you are, you can break it now with never having to kiss him!" Cordy stated, smiling. When Buffy bowed her head, Cordelia's smile turned upside down. "Oh God! He kissed you didn't he! There was kissage!" Buffy could only nod uselessly before standing and brushing any dirt she had on her slip dress.
"I'm going to go for a walk ok? I'll be back in a few minuets," she stated quietly. Willow and Cordelia could only nod as they watched her walk away with unshed tears in her eyes.
"Great going Willow!"
"Well how was I to know that he wouldn't tell her about Dru?"


Spike watched as Buffy walked away with tears crawling down her cheeks. He stopped, looking over at Cordelia and Willow who were glaring daggers at him. He sighed, walking over to them. "Hey Spike! We're in the middle of a game here!"
"I'm sure you can handle it by yourself Xander." He ignored Xander's complaints, walking over to where the two girls sat. "Where's Buffy going?"
"Why didn't you tell her about Drusilla?" Willow asked, not making eye contact with him.
"You guys brought up Dru? Why the hell would you do that! Now she's gonna think she's a rebound and everything will be ruined." He continued to rant, pacing back and forth in front of the two girls.
"Spike! Stop for one second. You're making me dizzy!" Cordelia yelled, making Spike stop in his tracks and look at her. "Now. Let's get this straight. She's not rebound?"
"No! She isn't! She isn't rebound!"
"Is she your girlfriend?"
"I don't know! It all happened so fast. I mean one moment Drusilla's yelling at me. Saying that I'm tainted and she's talking in bloody riddles and the next. The next moment, I'm with her and everything's not so confusing or blurry. Nothing hurts and all I want is to be with her and never leave her." He sighed, running a hand through his ruffled bleached locks. "Do you know what I mean?" Cordelia smiled, stealing a glance at Xander.
"Yea. I know what you mean."
"Well then Mr. Big Bad. Go get you're girl!" Willow exclaimed, clapping her and motioning him off in the direction Buffy went. "Do you know where she went?" she called after him. He turned, a big grin on her face.
"I think I know where she went."



Buffy sat, swinging back and forth on the small swing, her hands wrapped tightly around the train, making her knuckles turn right. She let her feet drag back and forth, watching as dirt shifted from the movement of her feet. "What do you want Spike?" she asked, her eyes still on her feet as she swung back and forth, as he approached her.
"Are you crying?" he asked, sitting down on the swing next to her, smiling as how he remembered this was exactly the same spot they first met. Exactly the same words they had said. Exactly the same movements they had made.
"So what if I am? What does it matter?" Spike frowned at this, looking at her sadly.
"What does it matter? What kind of question is that?"
"Why didn't you tell me about her?" she asked, ignoring his question completely. He sat, quiet and unsure. "Were you ever going to tell me about her?"
"Why does it matter? She was part of my past."
"She dumped you last week William!" she cried, causing Spike to cringe at his own name. "You couldn't even tell me about her?" When he didn't answer she sighed, shaking her head sadly. "Maybe this shouldn't be."
"What?" Spike asked, his eyebrows knitted in confusion.
"Maybe we shouldn't." She paused, looking up at the sky. Grey clouds were beginning to threaten rain and claps of thunder could be heard off in the distance. "I don't even know what we are William. Maybe there should never be an us."
"Don't do this Buffy. Don't say that."
"Why? We're obviously not ready for this!" Spike could only stand there, tears springing to his eyes. "I'm sorry Spike but I don't think I'm ready for this. Maybe if I was older or had more experience but I don't."
"But I thought," sob. "I thought that you felt something."
"I did. I do. I just don't think I'm ready for a real boyfriend. I do love you William, just not like that."
With that, Buffy turned around and began to walk away as Spike stood there watching. "Buffy! Wait!" Buffy turned and looked at him only to find him in front of her, grabbing her by the shoulders and pulling her towards him. Lips upon lips. Crashing, bruising. He pulled away slightly, laughing when he saw her stunned expression. "You're not getting away that fast Miss Summers. I plan on keeping you for quiet a while."
"And if I refuse?"
"Well, we'll see what happens then."


TBC