Chapter 3 – Just What I Needed



The bell sounded through the high school. Buffy gathered her books quietly and exited the room while clutching her books tightly to her chest. The first week hadn’t started out good at all. Sure, she had Spike, Xander, Willow, Cordelia and Angel but the truth be told; she was pretty much alone for she shared no classes with her new found friends. She sighed, happy that it was finally Friday. As she turned out of her last class, she ran into a hard chest. Books on the ground, she mumbled a sorry and began to pick them up. As she reached for one, she felt a hand covering hers, looking up, she saw blue eyes. She smiled as she took in his face. “Hey there Goldie,” he drawled, his English accent washing over her. “You should watch were you’re going,” he stated as they stood, both holding some of her books. “You never know when you might run into a nasty who’d love to eat you up.” Buffy giggled as she began to walk towards the doors which led outside and away from the school.

Spike smiled, walking next to her while putting his arm around her. He swore that she was made for him. They seemed to fit just right, he wasn’t too tall and she wasn’t to short. Just right. He looked down at her, his grin widening as he saw the blush that covered her cheeks. “What you blushing about luv?” She shook her head, smiling, staring ahead. Her smile grew when she saw Willow and Xander.
“Hey Buffster! How was your first week of high school?” Xander asked as he sat down next to Willow.
“Hell, but that’s to be expected.”
“Wait! What do you mean it was hell? I’m here so this can’t be hell! It must be heaven for all you chits,” Spike stated, hugging Buffy close to him.
“In your dreams Crawford! The only reason this place is heaven is because I am here,” came another male voice. Buffy smiled when she saw it was Angel and Cordelia and blushed even more when Angel winked at her.
This transaction didn’t go unnoticed by Spike. He already knew of Buffy’s new found crush of Angel and swore not to tell anyone but hated it. His grip tightened on her as he glared for a second at Angel. “Hey! What about the Xand-man? I’m sure the girls will all agree that their mood lightens when they see me!” Willow, Buffy, and Cordelia nodded for it was true. You could always count on Xander to put a smile on your face.
“He is right. No one can make us laugh like Xander,” Cordelia stated, sitting down next to Xander. Both Willow and Buffy nodded enthusiastically.
“I didn’t mean it like that!” Xander whined, a defeated look upon his face. Everyone broke out into a laugh.
“It’s ok Xander. We like laughs, laughs are good. Good laughs,” Willow said, smiling while patting the older boy on the back.
“Anyways, who’s up for the Bronze tonight?” Cordeila asked which was fallowed by spontaneous ‘yes’ and ‘sure’.
“I can’t,” Buffy stated, as she leaned back against Spike. “My dad is coming to pick me up, the whole bonding after divorce thing.”
“Good idea. My da never did that. Only reason I know ‘im is because me mum wanted us to bond. I can’t wait till I’m eighteen. Get to leave that daft man and you yanks and go back to the mother country and not have to watch you butcher rugby and drink horrible beer.”
“Yea, yea, we know. Get over it, you still have two more years here and we’re not that bad!” Xander stated.
“Yea! Cos if we were then you’d spend all your time in the library with Mr. Giles!”
“I don’t think he could spend any time with Mr. Giles. With Miss. Calendar and all. Hey! You’re going to leave me to be ‘eaten up by all those nasties’?” Buffy asked, laughing when Spikes’ eyes widened as he shook his head no.
“Alright! Enough with the gossip of the two teachers, who’s going to the Bronze?”


Buffy rushed into her house, running up the stairs to start to pack for the weekend. As she ran into the bathroom to grab her toiletries, she heard her mother call her. “Yea mom?”
“That was your father on the phone! It seems he’s been called to do work in Mexico, he says he’s sorry and that he loves you,” Joyce said, standing in the doorway of the bathroom. Buffy nodded, placing her toothbrush back, trying to stop the tears from tumbling down her cheeks. “Oh sweetie, I know your father wishes he was here but you know how his work pops up and tells him to do things. Listen, this weekend, we’ll do something together. Have lots of fun ok?” Buffy nodded, smiling at her mother to show her she was fine. Joyce smiled lightly, letting Buffy get back to what she was doing.

Buffy sat in her room, wearing her yummy sushi pajamas, holding Mr. Gordo close to her as she cried. Crying seemed to consume her as she wept, clinging to her bed sheets as she laid. Her pillow became soaked with tears along with her pale face. Her throat constricted, her eyes sore, red, and puffy from crying for so long. My Immortal playing in the background as she laid, silent, weeping for something which she had no grasp on.

Spike walked down the street, tears running down her pale cheeks. How could she do that? He wondered. He saw Dru dancing with Reily Finn. No, not dancing. She was practically fucking soldier boy on the dance floor. She knew he had seen her. He had seen the evil glint in her eye, the mischievous smile on her face. He had been ready to rip Reily’s head off for touching his dark princess but then he remembered.
He hastily wiped away the tears that were streaming down his cheeks as he walked down Revello Drive. As he passed Buffy’s house, he saw a light on in her room, fallowed by the slow music of Evanescence.

Buffy tossed and turned in her bed, trying to get sleep to over take her and take her away from the horrible reality she was trapped in. As she looked towards the window, she saw him. Slowly, she opened the window to let him in.

Spike looked her up and down. Her hair was a mess and her cheeks rosy and tear stained. Her green emerald eyes sparkling with unshed tears. He grabbed her, pulling her close to him as he held onto her. Sobs racked both of their bodies as they held each other, crying for different reasons but same feelings. Feelings of being crushed, destroyed, carelessly thrown away.

Spike picked up the frail child in his arms, carrying her to the bed where he sat with her curled up in his lap. “Sshh baby, it’s going to be ok,” he whispered, running his hands through her hair as he rocked her back and forth. “I p-promise you, it’ll b-be ok,” he stated as sobs threatened to over take him once more.

Buffy lifted her head, looking up at him. Her nimble fingers traced his face, from the narrow angles of his cheekbones to the fullness of his bottom lip. Buffy then caught a tear by her thumb, wiping it away gently as he gazed up at him, azure eyes locked with emerald. “Buffy,” he whispered, not sure of what was happening or what he was feeling. Slowly, his head bent down, his lips lightly brushing over hers. Buffy let her eyes close as she wrapped her arms around his neck, letting her fingers play with the small curls at the nape of his neck. She could feel him nibbling on her lower lip, licking it a couple times as if begging entrance. Slowly and unsure, she parted her lips, letting his tongue slip in. His tongue lead hers in a dance, twirling around inside and out of her mouth. After a couple of seconds, Buffy pulled back, looking up at him. Spike swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat, gazing at her.

A couple more minuets passed as they stared at each other, each unsure of how to act or what to say. It seemed they starred at each other for hours on end but soon, Spike jumped off the bed, mumbling a sorry before jumping out the window. Buffy felt a sob climb up her throat and couldn’t help but cry again as she slammed the window closed before sinking to the ground, wrapping her arms around her shoulders, wishing it was his arms instead of her own.




Buffy smoothed out her white and pink sundress as she checked herself over in the mirror the next day. She had painted her lips a light glossy pink, with matching eye shadow and blush. Her hair was pulled back in a tight ponytail with a couple strands fallen to frame her face. When she woke up, she had decided she was tired of crying and she wanted to have a good day which put her in a good cheerful mood. She smiled to herself, slipping on her white sandals before bouncing down the stairs. “Hey mom! Oooh! Orange juice!” she said smiling, grabbing the freshly squeezed orange juice. “So, what’s with the orange juice treatment?”
“Huh? You mean I can’t squeeze orange juice for my favorite daughter?” Joyce asked an innocent smile upon her face. “Anyways, you seem in a pretty good mood.”
“Why shouldn’t I be? I know, dad, but I’m used to it. He’s always had to go away suddenly; I’ve grown to accept it. I’ll just have to wait for next weekend. No biggy. Anyways, I called Willow and we’re going on a picnic in the park with the gang.” Joyce smiled at her daughter as she bit into an apple.
“Well that’s good. I’m so happy you’ve been able to make some new friends so quickly and that William is so nice. We should have him over for dinner sometime.”
“You mean Spike?” Buffy asked, looking at her mother with raised eyebrows. “O-ok. I-I could ask h-him today. At the picnic,” she stammered, remembering last night’s events where he had kissed her.
“Does my little Buffy have a crush?” her mother asked, as small smile upon her lips.
“No mom! I don’t have a crush on Spike. Spike…”

Spike knocked on her door, waiting for someone to answer it. Sighing, he opened the door as he usually did and walked into the family room. He smiled when he heard he was being spoken of. “I don’t have a crush on Spike! Spike. He’s. Ummm.”
“Here,” he stated as he walked into the kitchen behind Buffy wrapping his arms around her while tickling her sides. Joyce smiled contently as Spike and Buffy laughed, forgetting all worries in the world. When he finally stopped tickling her, he turned her to face him.
Buffy smiled shyly as she stood in front of him. He looked like he was in a trance by the way he was starring at her so intensely. “Do you like it?” she asked shyly, twisting and turning as she held out her dress. Spike snapped out of his trance then, smiling happily at her.
“Yea. You look gorgeous luv.” Buffy smiled, blushing lightly.
“William? Are you hungry?” Joyce asked, interrupting them. Spike looked up at her shaking his head.
“No thank you Ms. Summers. Would you mind if I steal Buffy away?”
“No, you two go on ahead. Make sure she’s home by ten at the latest. If she’s not, I’m holding you responsible, you got me?” William nodded, a little afraid of the older woman.
“You have my word!” Buffy laughed lightly as she pulled him out of the house through the back door. “Bye Ms. Summers!”
“Bye Mom!”
“Bye sweetie! William! Watch my baby!” Joyce called out. Buffy stopped, looking at her mother with horror.
“I shall! I’ll make sure no one lays a hand on her!” he laughed as he pulled Buffy along. Buffy walked along beside him, her face red. “Ahh baby. It’s ok! It’s like a parent’s prerogative to embarrass us! Anyways, we need to talk.”
“About what?” Buffy asked innocently as she skipped ahead of him.
“No you don’t! We need to talk Buffy,” he stated seriously, pulling her back to him.
“What’s there to talk about Spike? We kissed. That’s it,” Buffy stated, walking on. Spike stopped, hurt covering his features. He quickly covered it with anger.
“Bull shit Buffy,” he said angrily, catching up to her again. He grabbed her arm, forcing her to face him. “I know you felt something.” He paused looking at her as his blue eyes softened. “Don’t try to hide it.” Buffy looked up at him, nodding her head.
“Did you-“ she paused, not sure of how to say it. “feel something?”
“God yes. Buffy, I’ve been feeling something ever since that day I found you crying on the swing in the park. I’m drowning in you Summers, I’m drowning in you,” he stated, a small smile playing across his lips as he watched her grin grow. She took a tiny step towards him, her hands clasped behind her back.
“So, what now?” Spike smiled, taking a step towards her, closing the gap in between them.
“Now, I kiss you.” Spike dipped his head down, pulling her body closer to him as their lips came in contact. Spike wanted to devour her whole, but her kept it slow, tender, trying to pour out everything he felt for her in that one kiss.
He could feel her arms around his shoulders, her finger nail lightly grazing the back of his neck. Buffy smiled into the kiss, pulling back gently. “What? What’s the matter?” Spike asked, looking down at her. Buffy smiled, shaking her head.
“Nothing. Nothing is the matter,” she whispered, resting her head against his chest. “Just found out that you’re just what I needed.” Spike smiled, running his fingers through her golden hair.
“No luv. You’re just what I needed.”



tbc….