Author's Chapter Notes:
Please review


Disclaimer: I own nothing, everything belons to Joss.



That was a shocker for everyone. Heaven? How did he go to Heaven? And why didn't he remember it?

Spike, under his breath: Heaven?

Buffy: Yes, Spike. Your soul was sent to Heaven. Everything you did over the years to help with one apocalypse after another, earned you a place there. And sacrificing yourself to save the world was the last thing they expected from you. So when you died, they didn't hesitate. You were allowed to enter.

Spike: They?

Buffy: Our friends the Powers That Be. They sent you to a heavenly plain. I could remember being there too. It was the same place I left.

Spike: Bet they're getting tired of that, eh?

He was making reference to the fact that Buffy was in the same place and ripped out. He had gone there as well and now he was out, too.

Buffy: Yeah, I'd bet. So, the next thing I saw was you standing, just standing, there was nothing. It was a clear place, no walls, no floor, just nothing. And standing in front of you...she looked so beautiful. She gave you a choice. No matter what, you belong in Heaven. And when you die again, you will return there. But you had a choice to make.

Spike: What choice? From who?

Buffy: Your actions over the last few years earned you a right to return to this plain. You were a vampire, who fought to the death to reclaim your soul. No vampire has even done that. And you did it out of love for the Slayer. That was something they had never seen before.

Spike: But Angel...

Buffy: Had already had his soul when he fell in love with me. You were seen as an evil creature without a soul, but still had the ability to fall in love. And while everyone thought it was just...an obsession, I guess, only someone who really wanted it could have made it through the trials you had to endure.

Spike: You know about that?

Buffy: I saw that, too. All of it. Your trip to Africa, the demon you sought out, and the trials. By doing all these things, getting your soul back, saving the world, she said you could either stay, in Heaven, where you were, and wait for the day that...I joined you, because she knew what the last thing I said to you was. Or...

The others just looked at each other with a little confusion. They were still getting used to the idea of Buffy being so close to Spike, but what was she talking about? What was the last thing she said to him? Spike saw the confusion on her friends faces. Even though she said she had told them about their relationship, which he believes, she still didn't tell them she was in love with him. But he couldn't worry about that right now, he wanted to know the rest of this story first.

Spike: Or what?

Buffy: She said you could come back...to be with me.

All he could do was smile. Even though he already knew what his decision was, he could tell her right now, he'd always chose her. Meanwhile, Xander had a look of what looked like disgust on his face, which only made Spike smile more. Willow looked like she was still trying to take all of this information in. She looked very confused. And Dawn. She had a huge smile on her face. As though she knew about them. Maybe she did. Buffy may have told her sister that she was in love with him, just not her friends.

Spike: Obviously we know what choice I made.

Buffy: Yeah, well, not in the beginning.

Spike, Dawn, Willow and Xander: What!?

Buffy: Your first choice was to stay there.

Spike: No. I would never...

Buffy: I guess it's for the same reason you told Angel you didn't want to find me. Why is that?

Spike: Buffy. I just didn't want to hurt you anymore. I didn't know that you already knew I was back. I didn't want to hold you to something you didn't mean.

Buffy: But you know the truth now. Right? You believe me?

Spike: Of course.

Their grip on each other got tighter while the others were still missing a few pieces to this very confusing puzzle. What the hell were they talking about?

Spike: So what made me change my mind?

Buffy: Well, she asked you what you wanted and you just stood there. Then you looked up and said you wanted to stay there. That's one of the times I woke up actually. Always seem to wake up at the important parts. But the next time I fell asleep, you were still standing there. She asked you if that was what you really wanted. You just stood there. You looked so confused and sad. And I could hear all your thoughts. You didn't know what to do. You wanted to come back, to be with me. But then again, you didn't want to hurt me anymore. You ran it all through your mind. Every time we were together. Good and bad. Then you went back to the first time you told me you loved me. When you asked me to give you a crumb. Some tiny hope that maybe, someday, there was a chance with me. And then you went back to the last time you saw me. When I told you...that I loved you.

That was the first time she said that in front of the others. Xander and Willow looked shocked beyond belief. Dawn just sat there with a smile on her face that couldn't get any brighter. And Spike was sitting in almost as much shock as Willow and Xander. Was that really what was going through his mind? Did she really just she loved him in front of her friends, or more so, Xander?

Buffy: And that's when you changed your mind. You knew there was a chance with me and you took the chance to come back here and see if I meant it. That's when she told you to close your eyes, and you started to fall, until you hit the floor in this very room.

Now the others stared to ask some questions. Even though Buffy wasn't really paying attention to them, she answered anyway, never taking her eyes off of Spike.

Xander: He landed in here?

Buffy: Yeah.

Willow: And you saw all of this in dream.

Buffy: Yeah.

Dawn: Why here?

Buffy: Not sure.

She noticed Spike was still staring at her with a confused look on his face.

Buffy: What is it, Spike?

Spike: Who?

Buffy: What?

Spike: You keep saying 'she.' Who was I talking to?

Buffy looked at him, then at Dawn, and back at Spike.

Spike: Joyce?

Buffy: Yeah.

Dawn: Mom?

Buffy: She was beautiful, Dawnie.

Dawn: I wish I could have seen her, too. But I'm glad that she could help you guys.

Xander: I'm still trying to understand what's going on here. You...you love him!?

Willow: And you saw all of this in a dream?

Buffy: Yes. I wouldn't say something that wasn't true.

She took Spike's hand in hers again and looked deeply into eyes. She just smiled at him. Then she looked away.

Buffy: There was something else.

Spike: What?

Buffy: You haven't noticed yet, have you?

Spike: What do you mean?

Buffy: The amulet. The light that was shining out of it. Spike, it cleansed your soul. Everything that you ever were or did was wiped away. Can't you feel it?

Spike, dumfounded: What?

Buffy: Nothing.

He was very confused by that statement, so he asked again.

Spike: What?

Buffy: There’s no more remorse or guilt, no more pain. You've been forgiven.

Spike: I...?

Buffy: You've been given another chance...at life.

Spike: But...If I was cleansed...If I was given another chance...?

Buffy: You're not dead anymore.

Willow: Well, yeah. He's right...Oh!

Dawn: What? What's going on?

Spike stood up from the couch, along with Buffy and he headed for the door.

Buffy: Spike?

Spike: I need to see.

Spike walked up to the doors and opened them very quickly. The sun was still out, but heading for sunset. They had been talking all day is seems. He did the only thing that was on his mind at that moment. With Buffy in his hand, he walked out into the sun.

tbc