Chapter 8

Disclaimer: Don't own a thing except the story.

*Many thanks to my beta readers.....Miss Kitty and Natalie Elizabeth!!!!*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy awoke the next morning to the sounds of Mother Nature right outside her window. She lifted her head and glanced out the window on the opposite side of the room. Two small birds were perched on the windowsill, singing and chirping loudly. With a groan Buffy fell onto her back and covered her head with her pillow.

"To early," she mumbled. "No sing-y. Buffy want to sleep."

When the birds started to increase their chirping, Buffy lurched her pillow across the room towards the window. She smiled lazily when the pillow connected with the window, making a loud thwacking sound and causing the two birds to fly away. She was about to lay back down when the sight of something brought her to full alert. There outside, almost directly in front of her window, was a shirtless Spike. Now there was something she didn't mind waking up to.

Buffy pushed the covers off her and slowly made her way to the window. She stood off to the side, making sure that Spike wouldn't catch her spying, and peered out through the glass.

Beads of sweat could be seen glistening off his chest as he moved about, stretching himself. His hair was also damp and slicked back probably from a combination of the dewy morning air and sweat from his pores.

"Guess he went jogging," she concluded to herself.

After deducing where he had been and why he was covered in perspiration, Buffy returned to her earlier task of spying. Buffy lowered her gaze and took in the shorts that hung low on his hips giving her a nice view of that sexy V just below his abs, that gave direction to a more favorable part of the male anatomy. To be able to run her finger along that path was certainly very tempting. A smile crept across her face at the thought of him not knowing she was gazing so openly at his body. It was thrilling to say the
least. Besides, why let a perfectly sculpted body like his go to waste? Someone had to admire it. And since she was the only girl around, why not let it be her?

A groan rushed past her lips when the muscles in Spike's stomach flexed from the twisting and turning of his body. Buffy unknowingly stepped closer to the window, her body in full view. She licked her lips unconsciously and lifted one hand to her stomach. Her finger started to trace small circular patterns over her abdomen as she continued to watch Spike bend and stretch in front of her. The hand on her body slowly started to move up under her nightshirt, seeking out a more sensitive area to touch.

A loud knock at her door broke Buffy free of her trance, causing her to yank her hand back to her side.

"Who's there?" she asked, trying hard to conceal her ragged breaths.

"Xander," the person answered. "Breakfast is ready. Just thought you might want to know."

"Okay," Buffy replied, swallowing hard. "Thank you. I'll be right out."

Buffy heard Xander's footsteps fade as he walked away, back to the kitchen. When she was sure he was nowhere within hearing distance, she turned her attention back to the window. One glance was all it took to notice Spike was gone.

"Must've gone inside," she whispered.

Moving away from the window and over to her suitcase, which was still unpacked, Buffy pulled out her toiletries. On her way to the door she grabbed her robe off the edge of the bed. When her hand closed around the knob, and she was just about to turn it, she froze.

"What if he saw me?" she said, her eyes going wide at the realization that Spike might've seen her spying on him. "Oh, no. Please don't let him have seen me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Buffy came into the kitchen to find Spike and Xander already seated at the table. Still unsure if Spike had seen her spying or not, Buffy quickly sat down in the first empty chair she saw. She refused to look up from the spot on the table that currently had her hypnotized, even when she felt Spike's eyes on her.

"Are you going to eat?" She heard Xander ask.

Buffy lifted her head to look at him. "Um, yes."

Xander pointed over his shoulder towards the kitchen with his thumb. "Well, food's on the stove. Plates are by the sink." He informed her before returning to his meal.

Spike, meanwhile, was still staring at Buffy. He noticed her discomfort the minute she walked in to the room. Maybe she realized what he discovered today. Well, just like he was always taught, 'The truth always comes out eventually, just takes a little provoking'.

"So, pet," Spike spoke up, shifting in his chair. "Guess who I ran into this morning."

Buffy's head shot up at this. Instead of sticking around to answer his question or see where he was going with it, she got up from her chair and went to make herself a plate of food.

Xander glanced over his shoulder at Buffy's retreating form then back to his friend.

"Who did you run into this morning?" he asked, shoving his mouth full of syrupy pancakes.

Spike shook his head. "Hold on. Want t' see Miss Summers sweat for a little bit."

Spike turned his attention back to Buffy. He watched her closely as she prepared her plate. His eyes never leaving her as she returned to the table and sat down.

"Well, pet," he asked again. "Care to venture a guess."

Buffy busied herself with pouring syrup on her pancakes, all the while still avoiding Spike's gaze. Finally when she couldn't take anymore of the discomfort he was placing on her, she looked up at him and shrugged her shoulders.

"I have no idea. I haven't met anyone. We have only been here for less than a day."

Spike shook his head. He had given her a chance to 'fess up to what he already knew and she didn't take it. Dropping his fork onto his plate he lifted his hands and placed them under his chin. He stole a glance at Xander before lowering his eyes. He had to keep his anger in check, because from what he could gather about the girl she went into defense mode any time she felt threatened.

"Does the name Riley Finn ring any bells, luv?"

Buffy froze, her fork halfway to her mouth.

"Seems the bloke certainly knows you," Spike went on not waiting for her answer. "Says you came by his house the other day and chatted with him."

"I never went to his house...." Buffy blurted out without thinking. She immediately shut her mouth when she saw Spike arch a brow at her. "Okay. I did talk to him. But I promise you I didn't reveal anything about our situation. I just told him that I was here on vacation."

"Wait a minute," Xander spoke up. "Who is this guy and where does he live?"

"Oh, I know you didn't tell him anything of fact," Spike said, ignoring Xander. "In fact he told me that you told him you were 'ere on vacation with your stepbrother and his cousin. And that the rest of the family was t' come up later in th' week."

Buffy groaned in frustration. "Why does it matter if I talked to him?"

"What matters is that now he wants Joan, Alex, and Randy t' come up t' his house for dinner tonight."

"What? Who are those people?" Xander spoke up again, his voice booming with his annoyance over being left out of the conversation. "Why isn't anyone answering my questions?"

Spike finally broke his gaze away from Buffy and turned to regard Xander. "Miss Summers over 'ere took it upon herself t' get friendly with the neighbors the other day an' then lie t' us about it."

"Ugh," Buffy moaned. "Why is it such a big deal? I'm sure you told him we couldn't make it anyway."

"Actually," Spike said, leaning back in his chair, a smug look on his face. "I took his offer and tonight we are trottin' over t' his house for some good ole barbeque."

"So, Buffy meet a guy named Riley and now we're going over to his house?" Xander asked.

"Why did you do that?" Buffy asked, looking up at Spike. "Doesn't that go against everything you've been taught? Aren't you supposed to go out of your way to keep me away from strangers?"

Spike smiled at her and chuckled softly. "Yeah it is. But, since you went so far out of your way t' make a friend I thought it only necessary t' give you the opportunity t' meet him again." He argued, and then added. "With us there of course."

"Of course," Buffy repeated. She glared at him before pushing her chair back and standing up. "I think I'm going to go layout for awhile." She was about to leave, but turned around to say something to Spike. "Any other social events you have planned for me that I should know about?"

Spike shook his head.

"Good."

Spike watched as Buffy left the room and vanished into her own, the door slamming shut with a loud bang. He didn't know why he accepted Finn's invitation. Maybe it was to see how she interacted with the bloke. Or maybe it was because he had been thrown off guard upon finding out that Buffy had talked to another male. A male that was available and within close quarters for her to get more personal with.

Spike sighed roughly, shaking his head to get that thought out of his mind. No use in getting jealous when she didn't belong to him. But the feelings he had about her talking to this Finn guy unnerved and angered him to no end and he couldn't understand why.

'Because you value the job and you don't want anything to go wrong. That's all these feelings are about. Nothing more, nothing less.' He told himself.

"So where are we eating dinner tonight?"

Spike looked over at his friend and laughed.