Chapter 5:

Rated: NC17(overall)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Let me get your bags for you." Buffy heard someone say as her bag was taken from her grip.

As soon as she had boarded the jet it seemed that everyone was hell bent on making sure she was comfortable. Also to her surprise not every male on the jet was old. They all looked to be about in their mid-thirties and very handsome to boot. This was going to be one hell of a ride her conscious cheered in her head.

At least that's what she thought until her eyes made contact with the only other female on the jet. There behind all the men surrounding her was a lady with long auburn hair, her arms crossed, staring at her coldly. Buffy self-consciously looked down at her body, thinking that maybe what she was wearing was inappropriate around men who might be married. But one sweep of her dress concluded to her that that couldn't be it. It was long in its length, reaching just past her knees. The neckline wasn't bad either, running flat across her chest, revealing the right amount of skin. She was no fashion expert, but to her she looked exceptionally well dressed. Lifting her head up, Buffy jutted her chin out defiantly, her confidence coming to the forth. If the lady wanted to give her cold looks the whole trip that was fine with her. She had faced similar circumstances before when out with Angel and one of his ex's happened to be there.

Buffy was pulled out of her thoughts from the feel of one manly hand taking her by the elbow. She looked up and met the deep cobalt eyes of Agent Hawthorne. Her breath instantly caught in her throat.

"Why don't you take a seat an' buckle in," he told her while leading her past the men and down the aisle towards some seats. "Once your other luggage arrives we'll be takin' off."

Buffy nodded her head and took a seat near the rear of the jet. Once seated and Agent Hawthorne was gone, she removed the cardigan she had been wearing. For some reason her body felt very flushed and hot despite the air blowing throughout the cabin. Her hands reached beside her to find the ends of a buckle and pull it around to the front of her waist. She fastened then laid her head back against the seat, deciding to relax until the jet was up in the air and she could move around again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike went to the front of the jet to talk with the pilot. AS he was about to reach the door to the cockpit her heard a gently coughing. He turned his head in the direction it came from and saw Rose smirking at him. Sighing heavily he went over to her.

"What is it now?"

Rose's smile only grew as she heard the annoyed sound in his voice. "So, do you still want me to take over this assignment for you?"

Spike tilted his head and regarded her with a sneer. "What are you trying to imply Rose? That just because Miss Elizabeth happens to be a young curvaceous woman I might like guardin' her." His eyes held a glint of humor in them as his mouth hung open in mock horror. "Rose I am an engaged man. Such thoughts should not even enter my mind."

Rose rolled her eyes at him to which Spike laughed. He loved poking fun with her, but sometimes she took things a little to far. Thinking that he was enthralled by the beauty of Elizabeth, okay he was, but that was beside the point. As his long time friend, and the fact that they practically grew up together, Rose should know that he remained loyal in every sense of the word.

"I'm just suggesting," she said, drawling out the last word to its full potential. "That you should be careful around this one. There's something about her that rubs me the wrong way. That and the fact that blondes are your type."

"Blondes are not my type," Spike argued. "Dru isn't a blonde."

"I know Dru isn't a blonde. I am the one that set you two up. Remember?"

Spike smiled at her, remembering back to when he first laid eyes on Dru. Rose was right, most of his life he had dated blondes. Be it dirty, ash, mousy, light, dark, or medium, blondes were definitely his preference. But, once he had laid eyes on Dru he seriously reconsidered his whole thought process on blondes being the pick of the bunch. Everything about her was dark. From her hair to her eyes, even to the deepest secrets she had held about herself during their first week of dating. She was a true mystery that he couldn't wait to solve. Maybe that is why he was so infatuated by her. But, that didn't matter now because she was his and would always be his dark princess until the day he died.

Spike broke free of his thoughts to wrap an arm around Rose's shoulders. "Listen, pet. I don't think you have anythin' to fret about. Even though I appreciate the sisterly protection act you have goin' on right now. I'm a grown boy an' I can take care of myself," he consoled then added with an arch of his brow. "Beside I don't think our lovely Miss Elizabeth is a natural blonde."

Rose slapped him in the chest playfully. "Well, let's keep that conclusion without you having to investigate any further."

"Oh, lovey. Such naughty thoughts."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy opened her eyes and groaned under her breath. She had intended to get a little shut eye, but the occupants of the jet were currently making that very hard for her with all their moving around.

"Aren't people supposed to remain seated before taking off?" she mumbled, pushing herself into an upright position.

"Sorry, luv. What was that?" A sexy British voice called out from beside her.

Buffy's head snapped to the side and saw Agent Hawthorne along with Agent Harris and the death stare lady sitting next to her around a small table. She glanced out the window to her other side and noticed blue sky and the faintest of clouds passing by. They were already in the air.

"You fell asleep before we took off. We would've woken you up but you really look like you needed the rest," Agent Harris explained when he saw her confused look. "Had a rough night last night, huh?"

"Yeah," Buffy replied in a whisper, her mind drifting to the night before and how she had spent most of it crying over Angel. "Really rough night."

Spike scrunched his brows and said, "Do you want to talk about it?"

Buffy shook her head. "No. It's nothing, just guy problems." Immediately her eyes flew open wider. Why was she being so open towards these people she hardly knew. Okay she wasn't really being open, but she wouldn't have even told her own mother that she was having guy problems.

Spike felt himself tense at the mention of 'guy problems'. So, blonde beauty had a boyfriend. Not really a shocker, but since it wasn't included in the files about her it did come as a surprise. The question now was why did it seem to bother him so much. Maybe it just brought to mind his own problems with his relationship. Yeah, that was it. That's all this feeling in the pit of his stomach was about, just fear about his own problems, nothing more.

"What are you guys working on?" Buffy asked, getting up from her seat and leaning over Spike's shoulder to see.

Spike did not like the new feeling that formed in his stomach from the closeness of her body to his. He also didn't like the looks he was receiving from Rose out of the corner of his eye. Quickly he motioned to the seat across from him.

"Do you want to sit down?"

Xander reached over to the seat beside him and hurriedly started to clear it free of papers. "Here all nice and clear for you."

Buffy thanked him and plopped down into the seat less than gracefully. She noticed death stare lady looking at her and rolled her eyes discreetly.

"Hi," Rose greeted taking her glasses off. "We haven't been introduced yet, no thanks to these two gentlemen," she teased looking between Xander and Spike. "I'm Agent Rose Armes."

Buffy shook Rose's hand reluctantly then hastily pulled her arm away. Ignoring the look she received for her rude action she turned her attention to the paper situated across the table.

"What is this?"

Xander was the first to reply. "This is a layout of the cabin we'll be staying in."

"Cabin," Buffy cried in disgust. "We're staying in a cabin? And, just when I thought things couldn't get any worse."

Xander looked to Spike for help. For some reason he found it very hard to maintain a level head around this girl. Usually he was able to remain calm when the time called for it, but right now he didn't know what to do. His eyes implored Spike to help bail him out of starting something from Elizabeth.

Spike cleared his throat and leaned forward in his chair, his arms coming to rest on the table. "Yes we are stayin' in a cabin. A secluded cabin near a lake. It was the best place we could find where we were sure no one would bother you."

"Why does it have to be secluded? I mean why can't I stay at a lush hotel on the coast with lots of tourists for me to blend in with."

"Cause, if you are able to blend in with local tourists don't you think these so called terrorists will be able to blend in as well." Rose answered for Spike.

"Why are you talking to me like that?" Buffy asked Rose when she finished talking. "I am old enough to understand what you are saying without you relaying it to me like I'm some ignorant child."

"Elizabeth," Xander spoke up. "Rose is not trying to be rude nor is she trying to imply that you're a child. But…."

"Buffy."

"Excuse me?"

"Please call me Buffy. Only my parents call me Elizabeth," Buffy explained before glaring over at Rose. "And as for Agent Armes not thinking that I'm a child, well I don't believe that's true. She's been looking at me like I was the plague ever since I got on this jet. Why is that?"

"I don't have to explain myself to you, Buffy."

Buffy got up from her seat. "I don't need this right now," she told them still looking at Rose. "Where can I get a glass of water?"

"Down the aisle through that door is a mini kitchen," Spike answered pointing with his finger behind him.

Buffy turned on her heel and stalked away towards the back. When she was gone Rose scoffed loudly.

"Boy, are you guys going to have your hands full with that one," she commented, returning her glasses to her nose. "Gets all wound up over nothing."

"Like you're making it any easier for us," Xander spat, after remaining silent for so long. "Why the hell did you talk to her like that?"

Rose lifted her gaze to him. "Don't start with me Harris."

"Please don't start either of you," Spike implored, rubbing his temple with two fingers. "Didn't you guys fight enough at the academy?"

Rose sighed heavily before going back to work on her computer. Xander returned to his work of assessing the layout of the cabin and the best possible places to hide surveillance cameras. Spike however found himself glancing around his seat down the aisle where Buffy had retreated. Putting his pen down he got up from his seat and started down the aisle to find her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy heard someone coming towards the kitchen and quickly wiped her face clean of the tears she had shed. She then turned towards the cabinets and started her search for a cup.

"Are you okay?" Spike asked, watching her search.

Buffy stood up and opened a cabinet overhead. "Why would there be anything wrong with me?"

"Listen about Rose," Spike spoke, walking further into the kitchen until he was directly behind her. "She doesn't mean what she says. It's just in her nature to get all defensive when other women are around. Especially since she's so used to being around men day in and day out."

"Hmm, she must have a lot of friends then," Buffy remarked sarcastically.

"Actually come to think of it Xander and I are her only friends," he mumbled quietly. "And Dru."

"See," Buffy declared triumphantly. "Miss Lonely Heart feels the need to put other's down just because she's miserable."

"That's not true," Spike defended quickly, knowing all to well what might be the cause of Rose's attitude. He was sure it had to do with her feeling obligated as a friend to protect Dru's things.

"Argh!" Buffy grunted, spinning around to face Spike and lean against the counter. "I can't find one damn cup."

Spike moved closer to her and reached over her to open a cabinet. "There right up here, luv."

Suddenly the jet jerked sending Spike forward towards Buffy. Spike instinctively reached out his free hand to find something to stop his falling form. Buffy clutched at the counter, using it as leverage to keep her from flying to the ground.

"Sorry about that folks," the pilots voice came on over the intercom. "Just hit a little turbulence."

Spike exhaled, his eyes glued to the intercom as he finished listening to the pilot speak. He heard a tiny gasp and turned his attention back to in front of him. He saw Buffy standing mere inches from him, her head hung. His eyes glanced downwards to see what she was gasping about and he nearly froze when he saw it. There it was, his hand resting completely around one of her breasts. Her breast had been the thing he had grabbed hold of to keep his balance.

Buffy stared fixated at the hand holding her breast firmly in its grip. She gasped again when she felt the fingers gently squeeze her. Her head shot up to look at Spike.

Spike yanked his hand away when he realized that he had unknowingly squeezed her soft globe. He met her shocked gaze and stepped back away from her.

"Why don't you go back to your seat and I'll get that glass of water for you," he suggested, still avoiding looking at her.

Buffy nodded her head numbly. "Okay."

When she had walked through the door, leaving him alone in the small kitchen, Spike braced himself on the counter and cursed. What in the hell had come over him? Why did he do that?