Chapter 12

Buffy turned off the shower and squeezed away the access water in her hair before reaching over for her towel. She patted her self dry then stepped out onto the bathmat. She then bent over, flipping her hair over as she did so, and wrapped the towel around her head. She put her rob on next and stepped up to the counter, wiping the condensation from the mirror away with the sleeve of her rob.

"Well, good morning," She sang to herself once she saw her reflection in the mirror. "You slept rather well last night didn't you?"

"Why yes I did," She answered herself. "Like a baby."

She smiled and shook her head, laughing at how silly she was being. Still smiling she plucked her toothbrush out of its holder and put some toothpaste on it. She was just about to start brushing when she heard a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" She asked, shutting off the faucet and turning her attention to the person standing on the other side of the door.

"Are you going to be much longer?" An impatient Xander asked. "I really have to use the bathroom."

Buffy rolled her eyes. "I just have to brush my teeth and then I will be right out."

She heard Xander groan loudly then the sounds of his footsteps as he walked away.

"Not my fault you genius's picked a cabin with only one bathroom. " She mumbled under her breath even though she knew no one could hear her.

"Now now," she scolded herself in the mirror. "Are we going to let anything ruin this glorious day?"

Buffy's smile returned. "No. Absolutely not."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why do women take so long in the bathroom?" Xander wondered aloud, returning to the kitchen where Spike was. "Cordelia takes forever and a day in the bathroom and comes out looking the same as she did when she went in. Why?"

"One of life's mysteries," Spike replied. "Kinda like 'Why do women go to the bathroom in groups?' One of the many things men will never understand about women."

"Yeah," Xander agreed.

"By the way," Xander spoke up, his hand resting on his neck where he was massaging it. "Thanks for letting me fall asleep on the sofa chair last night. This crick in my neck is going to be with me for days."

Spike paused in the middle of pouring milk into his cereal bowl, his mind recalling the events of last night. He quickly shook his head and cleared away the thoughts before Xander noticed something was wrong.

"Sorry about that," Spike apologized, snapping the cap back on the milk jug and placing it back in the fridge. "Had other things on my mind last night."

"Still thinking about Dru?" Xander inquired, rolling his head back and forth on his shoulders.

"Yeah," Spike lied. Already the guilt from what he had done was starting. He never lied to his partner. Never in there 3 years did he ever keep anything from Xander, and now he had no other choice. He knew it was wrong, but he didn't want Xander to know what he had done last night.

"Listen, I know Dru loves you," Xander started to console. "You guys have been together too long to let anything this small break you up. You two are like Cordelia and me. You have your ups and downs, but you always get through them. I am sure she will understand…"

"Xander!" Spike yelled, slamming his bowl onto the counter. He turned to face his friend and saw the look of shock on his face. He sighed and started to rub his temples. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap like that. I just don't feel like talking about it right now."

"Sure man," Xander reassured him. "Whatever you say."

"Bathroom's free." Both men heard Buffy say as she appeared in the doorway, a grin spread across her face.

"Thank the gods,' Moaned Xander as he fled the kitchen, leaving Spike and Buffy alone.

Spike cleared his throat and turned back to the task of eating his cereal in silence. Buffy, however, had over things on her mind besides good. Things she had wanted to discuss with Spike without Xander around.

"So," Buffy broke the silence, clasping her hands behind her back and moving to lean against the counter opposite of Spike. "What's on the agenda for today?"

"Don't know," Spike answered, turning his back to her so he could clean his dishes in the sink. "Thought I would ride into town and get some stuff from the local store."

"Great," Buffy said a little too enthusiastically. "I can go with you. Pick up some magazines to read, maybe a book. Not having a TV is killing me. I thought it would be okay, you know, just lazing around getting some sun, but I am so…"

"I feel tens pounds lighter," Xander commented upon his return to the kitchen, lifting his arms up over his head and stretching. "What's for breakfast?"

"Hey, Xan."

Xander lowered his arms and looked at his partner. "Yeah?"

"Would you mind going into town today and picking up some stuff?"

"Sure. I need some things for the security perimeter anyway."

"Good, you can take Buffy with you." Spike glanced over at Buffy as he said this. Her mouth was open and her eyes were looking at him confusedly. "She said she needed to buy a few things too."

Xander nodded his head. "Just let me eat something real quick and we'll be on our way."

Spike left the kitchen in a hurry. Apparently it wasn't fast enough because he could hear the fast footsteps of a curious Buffy behind him.

"What was that?"

Spike ignored her as he opened the front door of the cabin and stepped outside. He continued to ignore her as they made their way to the SUV parked on the side of the cabin.

"Are you even listening to me?" She asked him, reaching up to touch his arm. Her fingers barely grazed his skin before he whirled on her so fast it almost sent her falling backwards onto the ground.

"Buffy you don't want to do this," he warned her.

Buffy scoffed at his remark. "Well, correct me if I'm wrong Agent Hawthorne, but wasn't it you who started it? Last night if I remember correctly when you kissed me."

"I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry." He turned away from her and started to dig in his pockets for the keys to the car.

"You're sorry?" Buffy repeated, disgust lacing the words as she spoke them. "That's all you have to say about it."

"What do you want me to say?" Spike yelled at her. By now he had the car door open and was rummaging around inside for something. "That I loved every second of it? That I want to do it again?"

"No, I…" she began to protest.

"Well, I can't." He told her, slamming the door shut after finding what he needed. "I am engaged. Or have you forgotten about that?"

Buffy glared at him. All she had wanted to do was ask him why he had done it. She didn't want to make him feel guilty about it. And she sure as hell didn't want him to make her feel like scum on the bottom of his shoe.

"Apparently I wasn't the one who forgot." She spat back at him, her eyes glistening over slightly from the tears she was trying so hard to hold back.

She didn't wait for him to reply to her. Instead she turned on her heel and stormed back into the cabin, content on waiting for Xander in her bedroom