Chapter 11

"What's going on? Is everything okay?" Xander asked, appearing in the kitchen doorway with a gun in hand. "I heard a crash."

"Everything is fine," Spike assured him while picking up the last of the glass off the floor. He stood and turned to face Xander. "Buffy just dropped a glass and it shattered on the floor."

Spike walked over to the trashcan and dumped the contents from the dustpan into it.

"Sorry Xander." Buffy apologized. "I didn't mean to wake you up."

"That's alright," Xander said, putting the safety back on his gun. "Wasn't really asleep anyway."

Spike nodded his head. "Me neither."

"It's too damn hot tonight." Xander complained. He set his gun down on the counter and went to the fridge. He pulled out a beer and unscrewed the cap. "My bed sheets are practically soaked from all my sweat."

"Does the AC not work?"

"Apparently not. I turned it on full blast just before we all went to bed," Spike said opening the door to the storage closet and replacing the broom and dustpan to its rightful place.

Xander took a long swig off his beer. "Do you think they have some fans stored around here someplace? I mean they have to have something for when the place gets this stuffy, right?"

"Maybe," Spike agreed. "I'm going to help Buffy bandage her hand and then I'll help you look for one."

"Sure."

Xander left the kitchen in search of a fan, while Spike and Buffy headed in the direction of the bathroom. Her hand had stopped bleeding but still needed to be clean and wrapped up. Spike flicked the light on and waited for Buffy to step in before closing the door behind them, leaving it slightly ajar. Buffy took a sit on the toilet lid and watched as Spike gathered up supplies.

"Alright," Spike spoke up moving to stand by Buffy. "Lets 'ave a look at that hand."

Buffy winced in pain as he slowly started to pull the cloth away from her hand. Her hand started to throb once the wound was exposed to air. Spike mumbled an apology before pulling her hand closer to his face to examine the cut. He set her hand on the countertop and reached for the alcohol.

"This might sting," he warned her then swiped the cut with the cotton ball he had soaked with the alcohol.

"Shi…. that burns." Buffy tried to pull her hand away.

"Hold still."

Buffy ground her teeth together and only started to relax when she felt Spike lightly blowing on her hand. The pain ceased and was replaced by a tingling sensation that traveled up through her arm and all over her body.

"Still 'urt?" Spike asked looking up at her while he continued to blow on her hand.

She shook her head.

"That was bloody stupid you know."

"Excuse me?"

"Trying t' pick up the glass with your bare hand," Spike continued on lifting her hand up again to inspect for any tiny pieces of glass that might be in the cut. "Bout as stupid as you makin' nice with that Riley bloke."

"What are you….Ouch!" She screamed in pain and violently jerked her hand free from his. "What is your problem? Why are you still upset about Riley? Are you trying to kill me? Man that hurt."

Spike waited for her to stop moaning before taking hold of her hand again to continue the task of cleaning it out.

"Cut doesn't look too deep. Don't think you'll need stitches."

Buffy exhaled loudly, relieved that the cut wasn't bad. "Thank goodness."

Spike began to put away the first aid supplies. "Just need to bandage it up then you can go back to bed," he told her while screwing the cap back on the alcohol.

"I'm not tired."

"Want to trot on over to Captain Cardboards and listen to some more of his war stories? I'm sure that will put you right to sleep."

Buffy rolled her eyes at his remark. "Why does it bother you so much that I might be interested in Riley?"

"It doesn't."

"Yeah right," she sneered standing up and moving around him to leave the bathroom. Before she was even halfway out the door Spike had her by the arm and was pulling her back into the bathroom.

"Do you think I don't know what you're doing? The little games you've been playing ever since we arrived at the cabin."

"I am not…."

"Found one," Xander voice sounded through the door.

Spike let go of Buffy's arm just as Xander pushed open the door to the bathroom to show them the fan he had found. Buffy stood frozen in place, her gaze fixed on Spike and her mind reeling from what he had just said.

"I only found the one though so we'll have to make do with it," Xander explained oblivious to the tension that was in the air around him. "Maybe we can all sleep in the same bed and…."

"No!" Both Spike and Buffy objected at the same time.

"O-Kay," Xander said warily, his eyes shifting back and forth between the two. "I was only kidding."

"Why don't we all go sit in the den for awhile and cool off," Spike suggested.

"Sounds good to me."

"I think I'm just going to go to bed," Buffy told them, stepping around Xander and leaving the bathroom. "Suddenly I started to feel tired."

Xander glanced at Buffy as she walked into her room and shut the door. He looked over at Spike, who had his eyes shut and was shaking his head.

"Is she okay?"

Spike opened his eyes and exhaled loudly. "Yes she's fine. Just bloody fine."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour later Xander was fast asleep in the recliner, while Spike was still wide awake. The soft humming of the fan as it blew air throughout the room was slowly luring him into sleep. But, he forced himself to stay awake. The main reason he wanted to remain awake is because he knew Buffy was. Ever since he and Xander had made their way into the den and set up the fan he had heard her moving around in her room. Despite claiming to be tired earlier, she wasn't even close to going to bed anytime soon.

His thoughts drifted back to the incident in the kitchen. The way she had been acting and the body language she had exhibited told him that something had happened before he had found her. What that something was he wasn't quite sure. Her breathing had been heavy, erratic, out of control. When he had reached for her hand to look at it he noticed that her pulse was beating at a fast rate. He couldn't have startled her that much to cause that kind of reaction. But, obviously something had.

He jerked his head up when he heard a door open. He saw Buffy emerge from her room and their eyes locked. Buffy was the first to break the stare and quickly headed down the hall towards the kitchen. Spike didn't wait a second before he was up on his feet and following her.

"Thought you were tired," he said, leaning against the doorframe and watching as she searched for something in the cabinets.

Buffy paused in her search and almost turned around to address him, but decided to ignore him instead.

Spike looked on as she pulled out a glass from the cabinet and moved over to the sink. "Going to break another glass?"

Buffy's hand froze on the faucet. She set the glass down on the counter and went back over to the cabinet she had gotten the glass from. Opening it up, she reached in and pulled out a plastic cup.

"Is this better?" she sarcastically asked him, waving the cup in the air.

"Such a way to treat someone who went out of his way to help you earlier."

Buffy scoffed at that. "It's your job to help me. So, it's not like you're really doing it out of the kindness of your heart."

Spike simply shook his head at her statement. If he had to admit to something right now it would be that this was turning out to be one of his toughest assignments and Buffy wasn't making it any easier.

Buffy silently filled her glass with water, praying that he wouldn't say anything more to her. She took one sip before walking past Spike and towards the back door. Her hand was barely touching the knob before Spike was by her side, his body pressing against the door.

"Where are you going?"

Buffy rolled her eyes. "Let's see. It's four o'clock in the morning so I thought I might trot on over to Riley's and see what he was up to."

"What is your problem?"

Buffy didn't answer, deciding only to roll her eyes and look away.

"Does this have to do with what I said earlier?" Spike asked. He got his answer when he saw her body tense up and heard her inhale sharply. "You are playing games with me."

This time Buffy looked up at him. "I am not."

"Why?" He questioned. "You know I'm engaged. You know what I'm doing 'ere is my job. I shouldn't 'ave feelings for you. Nothin' should be happening between us."

Buffy closed her eyes. "I know…."

She was cut off by the feel of Spike's hand against her face and then the feel of his lips pressing against hers. She opened her eyes and saw him looking at her. His face mere inches from hers, his unsteady breath falling softly on her lips. She had just enough time to shallow before his lips were back on hers.

This time the kiss was more urgent. The hand that hand been resting against her cheek had shifted down to her hip and was pulling her body closer to his. The cup that was in her hands was forgotten as she let it fall to the ground so she could wrap her arms around his neck.

The kiss grew in intensity as Spike's tongue gained entrance into her mouth and sought out her own. Anyone who might have witness the kiss would assume that it would lead to more. But both parties at that moment were fighting hard to keep their hands idle.

Spike broke the kiss and leaned his forehead against hers, attempting to catch his breath. The sudden moaning of his name by Buffy is what caused him to unexpectedly push away from her and leave her standing alone in the hallway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike walked into his room and shut the door. He walked over to his bed and sat down. Leaning his elbows on his knees he buried his head in his hands as he tried to figure out what he had just done.

It had all been for one reason, to relieve some of the tension that had been building inside of him. He had only meant to kiss her and walk away. It wasn't until now that he realized what a mistake it was to have done that.

Because now he had started something that he knew he wouldn't be able to stop.

TBC....................