Chapter 10

Spike came out of his room buttoning the sleeves of his navy blue button down shirt that was tucked into the well-worn faded blue jeans he had on.
He ran his hands through his freshly showered hair, slicking it back and combing out any unruly curls in the process. He had spent all day in the
sun, watching Buffy as she laid on the dock or swam in the lake, with the sun’s rays beating down on his back. So, to finally be showered and dressed in clean clothes made him feel wonderful. Nothing could ruin the mood he was
in right now, not even the possibility of Buffy flirting with this Riley guy tonight.

Yes, he hated to admit it, even to himself, but he had spent a better part of his day coming up with different scenarios for tonight. Mainly all of
them involving Buffy laughing and having a gay ol’ time with one Riley Finn.

“I really hope he makes steak,” Xander commented, coming into the den as Spike slumped onto a couch. “Ever since you mentioned a barbeque, I’ve been craving steak.”

“Cordelia’s pregnancy rubbing off on you?” Spike inquired, a smirk playing on his face.

Xander laughed at his partner’s remark. “I sure miss her.”

“I know you do,” Spike told him, reaching up to place a comforting hand on his best friends shoulder. “Have you called her lately?”

Xander shook his head no. He’d managed to call her from the airport in DC, but that was the last he’d talked to her. “I think I might try calling her
tonight.”

Spike smiled. “You do that. I’m sure it would do you both some good to talk to each other.”

Xander nodded his head in agreement before asking, “What about you?”

Spike furrowed his brows. “What about me?”

“Are you planning on calling Dru anytime soon? Make amends?”

“Not sure if the timin’ is right an’ all,” Spike said slowly, “’m thinkin’ she might need some more time to cool off.”

Xander shook his head. “Spike, man, if you don’t call her soon she may not talk to you when you do end up calling her.”

Spike smiled softly. “She’s stubborn like that.”

“Yes, she is.”

“’Tis one of the reasons why I’m marryin’ her. I know she’ll always manage to keep me on my...” Spike’s sentence trailed off as his eyes caught sight of Buffy as she stepped out of her room.

If he thought his lustful thoughts couldn’t get any worse, he was promptly proven wrong at that exact moment. Her hair was down and flowing freely over the form-fitting black shirt she had on, which dipped low across her chest, showing off more than a little cleavage. The very short jean skirt
showed off her lengthy tanned legs, tempting Spike to trail his fingertips up them. The longer he was around her, the more she lured him into
worshiping her.

“Keep you on your what?” Xander asked his attention focused on fussing with his shirt cuff, missing the way his partner was gazing at Buffy.

“Um, what?” Spike asked, quickly shaking his head as he realized what he'd been doing. “Oh, my toes. She’ll always keep me on my toes.”

“That she will man...that she will.”

“So, are you two having a secret conversation or can I join in?” Buffy asked, catching her lower lip between her teeth and hooking her hands
together behind her back before stepping up next to them. Her appearance making her seem like the timid, shy girl, wanting for all the world to be
included in the group.

Spike smiled at her. “Sorry luv, its top secret. If we told you what we were talkin’ about we’d have to kill you.”

“Ooh...” she moaned dramatically, her eyes widening. “It’s that kind of conversation.”

“So!” Xander said, clapping his hands together. “Are we ready to go eat some steak?”

“Let’s go,” Spike answered, opening the back door and swinging his arm out in front of him gesturing for Buffy to pass. “I’m sure our good friend Mr.
Finn is waitin’ for us.”

“Maybe,” Buffy agreed stepping over the threshold and glancing back over her shoulder at him. “But isn’t it more fun to arrive fashionably late?”

“Not when there is steak on the line,” Xander added his two cents, stepping past Spike to join Buffy outside.

“Boy, I think I can guess what has been on your mind the past few hours,” Buffy joked, earning a chuckle from Spike as he closed the door and locked it.

“Is it so wrong to love steak?”

Spike and Buffy looked at each other and smiled. They’d both been worried that tonight might turn into one huge uncomfortable situation, but now with Xander on hand; everything might turn out alright after all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I hope you don’t mind fish for dinner,” Riley told the group as he escorted them into his den. “I caught some earlier today and thought they would be good for tonight, being fresh out of the water and all.”

Xander grumbled something under his breath about pansy white meat, which luckily was only heard by Spike who was standing right next to him at that moment. Spike laughed quietly at his friend’s misfortune. He had really been looking forward to steak tonight.

“Plus it’s easier to cook,” Riley added, waiting for them all to take seats before sitting down himself. “That way we have more time to talk.”

“I love fish. Fish is great. Did you really catch it all by yourself?”Buffy rambled. Already she was feeling the first signs of an awkward night and was getting nervous.

Spike scowled at her flustered behavior. Why was she acting this way? They had just stepped into his house not two minutes ago and she was already acting like a nervous teenager. ‘Maybe because that’s what she is.’ His subconscious reminded him. ‘A teenager who’s nervous.’

“Yes, I did,” Riley answered with a soft chuckle, finding Buffy’s rambling cute. “There’s a nice secluded part of the lake about five minutes from
here. Maybe sometime I can take you fishing over there?”

"That would be gre-”

“I don’t think so,” Spike quickly interrupted. “Joan isn’t one for fishing.”

Buffy looked at Spike and gave him a fake smile. “Actually Randy, I do like to fish,” she corrected before turning her attention back to Riley. “I make it a point to go fishing at least once a year. It relaxes me.”

“Really? I find it relaxing, too.”

“So, when are we going to start cooking that fish?” Xander asked. All the talk about fish was making him hungrier than he already was.

Spike silently thanked his partner for the quick change in conversation. If he had to sit and watch Buffy flirt with the Finn character for much longer,
he was going to burst.

“I’ve got them marinating in the fridge right now. Let me go see if they’re ready to be thrown on the grill.”

Spike made sure Riley was out of sight before regarding Buffy with a hard glare.

“What?” Buffy asked innocently when she caught Spike’s look.

“Why do you insist on makin’ things harder for me an’ Xander?”

“How am I making things harder?”

“Well, for one thing, you’re practically agreein’ to go fishin’ with him. Do you even understand wha’ our job is?”

“To annoy me?” Buffy replied sarcastically

Spike bite his lower lip, a small smile forming at her words. “Cute. Very cute.”

“I try...” Buffy said sweetly.

“Our job is t’ protect you. We can’t very well do that with you runnin’ off to some secluded place with fishboy in th’ next room.”

“Geez, don’t worry. I didn’t plan on actually going with him anyway. Not with my two dads constantly on my back.”

“Just be careful. That is all I’m asking.”

“Yes Daddy,” Buffy joked, earning a snicker from Xander. Spike only shook his head and silently wondered how long he would be able to handle Buffy and ignore the effect she was having on him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“That was perfect,” Xander commented on a sigh as he leaned back in his chair and rubbed his full belly.

I’m glad you enjoyed it,” Riley thanked him while picking up the dishes from the table. When his hands were full, he headed towards the kitchen to place them in the sink to wash later.

Spike leaned across the table towards Buffy. “So, did you enjoy th’ feast?”

Buffy jerked her eyes away from the direction of the kitchen, where she had been watching Riley, to look at Spike. Her eyes were wide as if she had
been caught doing something bad and she had to blink a few times before she was able to clear her head enough to focus on Spike’s question.

“It was good.”

“And are you enjoyin’ our host?”

Buffy scoffed at his remark. The nerve of him to ask her something like that... Why was it so wrong of her to enjoy the view of a well-packaged man?
She was a girl after all. A girl in a not so serious relationship with life ahead of her.

“As a matter of fact I am,” she answered smugly, flashing him a crooked smile. “Very much.”

Spike was about to say something to that, but Riley’s return prevented him from doing so.

Spike silently fumed as Buffy smiled up sweetly at Riley as he leaned over her shoulder to pick up more dishes. The girl was really getting on his
nerves today. First it was incident on the dock earlier. Oh, he knew what she had been up to. The only question was why had she done it? What was her reasoning behind teasing him to the point where he almost took her right there on the dock? She knew he was engaged. She knew that their
relationship was nothing more than business, so why had she acted that way? Did she sense how she affected him?

“That’s amazing.” Spike heard Xander say and brought his attention back to the discussion. “How long did you serve in the Air Force?”

“Right out of high school until about a year ago.”

“Did you hear that Randy?” Xander asked. “Riley here used to fly fighter jets. He’s a regular Top Gun like Tom Cruise. Hey, did you have a nickname like ‘Maverick’ or ‘Goose’?”

“Um, actually I didn’t fly the jets,” Riley quickly corrected. “I flew the cargo jets. The ones that carried troops or supplies and parachuted them out the back.”

“Oh.”

“Those were some of the best times of my life,” Riley told them, taking a seat at the table after having cleared it. “Wouldn’t trade them for the
world.”

“You’ll have to tell me about them sometime,” Buffy informed him, sending another smile his way.

“I have some pictures and stuff in my study if you want to see them,” he said, making a move to get up from his chair. “Would you like...?”

“Actually,” Spike halted him mid-sentence. “We really need to start heading back before it gets to dark.”

“What? The sun hasn’t even set yet.” Buffy pointed out gruffly.

“Right,” Spike agreed, standing up from his seat. “Which is why we should be leaving now before it does.”

“Come on Randy. We can stay a little while longer.”

Spike shot daggers at Xander, silently communicating his rage at him.
Didn’t he see how bad things were turning out? They hardly knew this Finn character and here they were letting Buffy get all chummy with him.

“Okay,” Spike ground out as calmly as he could. “I guess it won’t hurt to stay for a few more minutes.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Wha’ the ‘ell do you think you’re doing?” Spike whispered to Xanderas they followed behind Buffy and Riley. “We know nothing’ about this guy or
what his motives are.”

“Relax,” Xander said, keeping a close eye on Riley to make sure he wasn’t listening. “What better way can you think of to find out more about this guy
then to actually explore his house?”

“Um, not havin’ Buffy in the house while were doing it.”

“You know that we can’t leave Buffy alone for one minute,”Xander explained while they rounded a corner. “This way we can both keep an
eye on her.”

“I still don’t like this,” Spike confessed. “She’s gettin’ too friendly to fast.”

“Just relax. We’ll be out of here in no time.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“What’s up with your cousin Randy?” Riley asked Buffy as they walked towards his study. He could hear whispering behind him and he’d noticed the
unfriendly glares he was getting from Randy during dinner. “Did I say something to upset him?”

“No,” Buffy answered, glancing over her shoulder at Spike. “He’s just weird like that. We consider him the black sheep of the family.”

Riley laughed as he opened the door to his study and letting them walk in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike glanced at his watch and sighed loudly. An hour had passed and they were still sitting in Captain Cardboard’s house, listening to him prattle on about something that happened during training camp. He looked over at Buffy
and rolled his eyes. She still had the goofy grin on her face that had formed when Riley pulled out a picture of him in his uniform.

“We really need to get going,” Spike spoke up, setting his beer down on the table beside him. “The sun set about 15 minutes ago.”

Riley looked up from the photo album he was showing to Buffy and Xander and
glanced out the window. Sure enough, it was almost pitch black outside.

“Oh, I’m sorry...I didn’t realize,” Riley apologized. “I guess we got caught up in all my stories...”

“We sure did.”

“That was fun,” Buffy said, standing up and moving over towards Spike, who was standing in the doorway. “We should do it again sometime.”

“I would love that.”

Spike cleared his throat loudly. “As much as we would love to do this again. I really don’t think it’s fair of us to cut into your vacation.”

“Nonsense,” Riley said with a wave of his hand. “In fact, maybe next time we can do dinner at your place?”

“Sure,” Buffy replied a little too enthusiastically.

Riley smiled. “Let me walk you out.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night was a lot hotter than previous ones. Usually a cool breeze off the lake chilled the air just enough for the night to be enjoyable, but
tonight there wasn’t even a hint of a breeze and the inside of the cabin felt like a sauna. Buffy had stripped naked and pushed the covers completely
off her bed, but she still couldn’t seem to cool down enough to fall asleep. Deciding that a glass of ice-cold water might help, she pulled on a t-shirt and headed to the kitchen.

She treaded through the darkness of the cabin, the only light coming from the full moon that peeked in through the windows. When she finally made it
into the kitchen she didn’t even bother turning on the light, not wanting to awaken the others. She opened one of the cabinets and pulled out a tall
glass, filled the glass with ice and water and raised the glass to her waiting lips.

Buffy swallowed the cold liquid and savored the feel of it as it glided down her throat. She closed her eyes and lifted the glass of water up to her
forehead, letting the droplets of condensation cool her heated skin.

“Why is it so hot?” she asked aloud, bringing the glass back to her lips for another long sip of water.

“I don’t know why it’s still so hot in here,” a voice spoke up behind her.

Buffy spun around and saw Spike standing in the doorway to the kitchen, wearing nothing more than his boxers. Buffy felt the temperature in the
room increase as an intense flash of heat ran through her body at the sight of a half-naked Spike.

“I turned the A/C on full blast right before we went to bed,” Spike continued to talk, walking further into the kitchen as he did so. “Guess it hasn’t circulated enough...”

“Guess so,” Buffy managed to say through her daze.

“Does the water help?” Spike asked, stopping right in front of her and pointing at the glass in her hand.

Buffy snapped out of her stupor and glanced down. When it finally registered what he had asked her she nodded her head vigorously. “Oh yes, it helps a lot.”

Buffy lifted the glass to her lips, thinking maybe if she focused her attention on anything, even the simple task of drinking water, besides how
close Spike was to her and how little he was wearing, then she might be able to control herself.

She could feel his eyes on her as she drank. Slowly and cautiously she peered at him over the rim of the glass. One look into his blue eyes sent a chill up her spine, giving her the relief she needed from the heat.

“Can I have a sip?” Spike asked, his eyes glued to her moisture-kissed lips.

Buffy handed him the glass and gave him a perplexed look as he took the glass from her hand and moved to set it on the counter behind her, his arm wrapping around her body in the process. The heat rushed through her again at the closeness of their bodies, their lower halves barely touching.

“Not from there...” Spike told her, resting his hand on the curve of her hip and pulling her slightly closer. “From here,” he finished his lips inching
closer to hers.

And just like that their mouths met in a fiery kiss.

Okay, maybe it didn’t start out as that, but it didn’t take long before she was matching him stroke for stroke.

Buffy’s arms came up to rest around his neck, her body pressing into his, pulling herself closer. She moaned her approval when his lips left her mouth
to trail across her cheek to suck on her ear. She felt Spike's hand move from her hip to the front of her shirt.

"Spike," she breathed. "We can’t..." She stopped talking when she felt his hand brush against the skin of her abdomen. "Oh god, don't stop..."

Spike pulled back, his breathing erratic. He looked at her. “Do you know what you do to me?” He asked closing his eyes and leaning his forehead
against hers. “When I saw you coming down the steps of the plane all I wanted to do was taste you. Feel your body against mine.” He pulled back
again. “You taste so good.” He brought his hand up to touch her breast, touching it the way he had on the jet earlier. “Feel so good...”

Buffy bit her lower lip and groaned. Why was this happening? She had a boyfriend. He was engaged. She had to stop this before it got to out of hand.

She gasped out loud when she felt Spike yank her t-shirt down, baring one breast to his hungry gaze. Her knees weakened when his mouth covered an
erect nipple and softly suckled it. Reaching behind her she gripped the edge of the counter to help keep her balance. Her right hand knocked into the
glass Spike had placed there and sent it falling to the floor, where it shattered into a million pieces.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy’s eyes snapped open. It took awhile for her sight to adjust to the darkness, even with the help of the moonlight, before she could register
where she was. And that she was alone.

“Buffy? Are you okay?” she heard someone ask before the kitchen light snapped on and blinded her with its brightness.

She saw Spike standing in the doorway, his hair disheveled and his chest rising and falling heavily. She tore her eyes away from him to look down at her hand and that’s when she noticed the broken glass and water around her feet. She quickly bent down to start picking the glass pieces up.

“I...I just made myself a glass of water,” she explained, picking up pieces and placing them in her hand. “I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“Buffy, don’t touch the glass,” Spike ordered, walking over to the broom closet to retrieve a dust pan and broom.

“Ouch!”

Buffy dropped all the glass from her hand, sending it scattering all over the floor. She clutched her hand tightly to her body.

Spike came over to her and pulled her hand free so he could exam it. “I told you not to touch the glass,” he reminded her leading her over to the sink and turning the water on.

Buffy winced in pain when the cold water hit the cut on her palm.

“I need to clear the blood away so I can see if there’s any glass that needs to be pulled out.”

She remained silent as she watched him work on her hand.

“Put some pressure on it,” Spike told her, reaching into a drawer and pulling out a dishcloth. “When I finish picking up this glass we’ll go to the bathroom and bandage you up.”

Buffy nodded her head in understanding, barely even hearing what he was saying. The only thing that was running through her head was that everything that had occurred before never really happened. The kissing. The groping.
The words he had spoken to her. All of it never happened.

This heat was really getting to her.