Chapter 19:

The black Desoto sped angrily down the streets of L.A, driven by one pissed off vampire. Recovering his beloved car had been only one of many things Spike had done the night he'd left the Slayer at her parents' house.

He'd set several things in motion that night. Plans to kill the Master and destroy his factory. Plans to make sure the Council left the Slayer alone. The fact was, Spike had spent the entire last week busily ensuring that the Slayer would be able to live happily ever after with her mommy and daddy.

And how had the crazy bint repaid him? By hitting demon bars looking for him. As soon as word had reached Spike that the Slayer had been seen beating up the local demon population trying to find out where his new lair was, he had hurried out to find her before she got herself into too much trouble.

He was too late. He had gotten to the last place she'd been seen, only to find out that a vamp there had given her false information. He'd told Buffy to go to an abandoned warehouse where he'd claimed she'd find Spike. In actuality, the warehouse was the temporary home for several of the Master's minions who were in L.A. looking for the Slayer. In other words, she was walking into a trap.

The Desoto screeched to a halt outside the warehouse, and Spike ran inside. He could already hear the sounds of fighting. Then he saw the Slayer surrounded by four vampires. He was about to leap into the fray when she spotted him, smiled and waved, before catching the arm of one of her attackers and shoving a stake through his chest.

It was bad enough that Spike had rushed across town to rescue her, now she wasn't even asking for his help. If she was going to be that way about it, well, he would just stand back and watch. How often was he going to get a chance to simply watch the Slayer fight anyway?

Much to Spike's chagrin, she didn't need his help. She managed to dispatch the remaining three vampires all by herself. As her stake pushed its way into the heart of her final attacker, she called his name, ran through the dust, and before Spike knew what was happening, she had him in a tight hug.

Spike found it hard to maintain his anger with the Slayer's body pressed against his, especially when she looked up at him with those deadly green eyes and a smile he thought might set him on fire. Spike couldn't remember anyone ever being this happy to see him before.

"Hey," was all he could manage to say, although part of that was because her hug was preventing him from taking in the breath necessary for speaking.

"Oh! I didn't hurt you did I?" she asked with genuine concern.

"No, kitten. I think all my ribs are still intact."

She smiled again, and Spike was at a loss for what to say. Oh he'd planned out a rant as soon as he'd heard she was looking for him, but he couldn't remember a word of it now, or even exactly why he was mad at her.

She looked good. If he hadn't known she'd been shot a week ago, he never would have guessed it. There was more color in her face than he'd yet seen, she'd obviously been out in the sun. But she had reverted to her no-nonsense slaying clothes. She wore a black tank top that revealed the tattoo he'd given her as a belated birthday present. She put her stake away in a pocket of her khaki cargo pants and looked at him expectantly.

"So, uh, what brings you here?" Spike asked, wincing as he said the words. At least he hadn't asked her 'What's a girl like you doing in a place like this?' but he almost might as well have.

"I was looking for you. Why'd you leave?" she asked, and just like that her sunny happy disposition was gone and she looked sad and a little scared.

"You um, looked happy. With your mum and dad. They seemed nice . . . Aren't they . . . didn't things work out?" he asked.

"They're nice," she told him hurriedly. "And they love me, and I love them. But they . . . they think I'm crazy."

"Bloody hell, you didn't tell them about being the Slayer did you?"

"Well, yeah. Of course. I mean they asked me where I'd been, what happened, so I had to tell them."

"You didn't have to tell them the truth. Come on, couldn't that Slayer brain of yours make up something they'd believe?"

She drew herself up, crossing her arms. "I couldn't lie to them. They're my parents. And you shouldn't lie to anyone. Only bad people lie."

"Uh, huh. Well, I'm the Big Bad here, and did I ever lie to you?"

"No, but you don't make sense."

He chuckled at that. "How's that, pet?"

"Well, you don't lie, at least not directly. I mean you didn't tell me about the people you were killing. And you're really nice, and make me feel good and happy. And I like you better than anyone else, but you're evil."

"Really?" Spike asked. He tried not to smile by biting his lower lip, but he couldn't help being flattered by her strange assessment. "So is that why you were looking for me?"

"Sort of. I need your help." He looked at her quizzically. "I need you to help me kill the Master."

"And what makes you think I'll do that?" he said, trying to regain some of his composure.

"Well, you said you didn't like what he was doing. And he must be after you too." Then she looked down at the ground and added quietly, "And maybe you kind of like me, too?"

He didn't think, he just raised her chin and kissed her gently. Her mouth opened for him immediately, and a moment later their tongues were playing with each other.

When they pulled apart, she smiled at him and asked, "So you'll help me then?"

He closed his eyes, unable to look at her. "I can't."

"What?!" she exclaimed pulling herself out of his arms and shoving him away. "Why not? I have a plan, and it's a good one. You haven't even heard my plan."

He could see her fighting to keep from crying.

"I'm sure it is, kitten," he said reaching out for her, but she backed away. "But the two of us, we're not enough. There's just too many vampires between us and the Master." The Slayer was about to break in with an objection so he hurried to continue. "But don't worry. I got a plan too. I'm going to take care of him. The thing is, I have minions now, and they're part of the plan, and there's no way I could get them to fight with the Slayer."

"They will if I'm a vampire," she said.