Chapter 11:

The moment Spike saw the cop car, he broke into a dead run. He wanted to vamp out so that he could see into the shadowed windows of the car. It didn't look like anyone was inside, but he couldn't be sure. However, his demonic features might make a bad situation worse.

Then he heard a man's voice.

"Look, honey. I'm supposed to bring you in, but you seem like a nice enough girl, so if you just do a little something for me, I'll forget about the whole thing."

Spike found himself fighting to contain the demon that roared as it heard the man's words which were coated with insincerity and innuendo. Normally he would have simply let his demon free, but cops could be tricky to deal with even if you didn't have to worry about a Slayer interfering or getting shot.

"I don't understand," he heard the Slayer say just as he turned the corner, into the alley the voices were coming from.

Nothing could stop the growl from leaving Spike's throat. The Slayer had her palms on one of the alley walls, and her legs were spread so that she could be easily searched. But the cop wasn't frisking her. He was right up against her, and the sickening scent of his lust left no doubt in Spike's mind that the cop was pressing an erection into the Slayer's ass. The cops wasn't so much frisking her as groping her.

Spike must have lost the battle with the demon, because when the police officer turned to look towards the direction the growl came from, his face went pale, and he pulled away from the Slayer to reach for his gun as he yelled, "Shit!"

"No, wait!" the Slayer cried as she grabbed the officer's arm.

Spike was already moving down the alley toward them. There was a loud boom as the gun fired, but thanks to the Slayer's interference the bullet missed Spike.

Spike was on the cop then. Spike slammed him into the wall and was just about to start beating his face in, when the Slayer grabbed his arm.

"No! He's a cop," the Slayer told him.

"He's a bad cop," Spike corrected her.

If he hadn't suspected that she didn't really know what was going on, he would have lost all patience with her. So instead they faced off, Spike still holding the cop against the wall, and the Slayer restraining his other arm.

"I know, but you can't beat him because he wasn't going to file a report."

Spike's jaw dropped. He wasn't entirely surprised, but to actually hear her defend the guy was another thing.

"What about for the way he was touching you? And, oh yeah, the whole attempted rape thing."

"Hey," came the police officers unsteady voice. "No one was raping anyone."

Despite his anger, Spike chuckled at that. One of the great advantages of being evil was that you were not afraid to call the ugly things in the world by their correct names.

"He's right," the Slayer defended the cop. "I didn't like the way he was touching me, but I don't think it was rape."

Spike sighed, and relaxed the arm the Slayer was holding back.

"Look, kitten. It wasn't yet, but that's where it was going. What do you think he wanted you to do?"

"I don't know." Her earlier confusion returned.

"Why don't you tell her what you wanted?" he dared the cop.

"Look, Mr. Vampire." That drew a snort from the Slayer. "I didn't know she was your. . . whatever. How about we just forget the whole thing?"

The fear that rippled off him in waves told Spike what motivated the officer's sudden politeness.

"Tell her what you wanted," Spike told him firmly. "And don't lie, I'll know."

"A-a-a blow job," he sputtered.

The blank look on the Slayer's face told him that she wasn't sure what that meant.

"Oral sex?" Spike explained. Still there was no sign of understanding on the Slayer's face. "Please tell me you know what sex is cause I'm NOT drawing diagrams."

Although the idea of a little show-and-tell back at the house was appealing to Spike.

"Yeah, I know about sex," she said with just a touch of uncertainty.

It was enough for now, although he had a feeling that her education was rather limited.

"Don't you see, pet. This. . ." he ripped the badge off the policeman's uniform. "Gives him power. He thought you were some little lost lamb, who'd do anythi-"

"I get it," she interrupted him loudly and suddenly. "I get it," she repeated softly. "You can't kill him though."

"Why not? He's a bad guy. You stop the bad guys right?"

"He's human, I can't let you kill him," she insisted with a pained voice.

But he could see the doubt in her eyes.

"So we just what, let him go? Let him go on hurting other girls? Taking advantage of the weak?"

"I-I, don't know. . ." she whispered. Tears began to stream down her face and she hugged herself. "Please, I don't know. I'm not a good slayer."

Spike winced at her words. Until that moment, they had just been a vampire and some human he was playing with. If they let the cop live, he might repeat the word slayer. The wrong people might hear it.

"It's not you, kitten. It's the world, not as simple as they told you it was. Get his cuffs."

"Huh?"

"Hand cuffs. We won't kill him okay, just teach him a bit of a lesson."

It was an imperfect solution, but there was no good way out of it. Killing a cop, however personally satisfying it may be, tended to gather attention. He would just have to hope that the cop's instincts to cover his own ass would keep his mouth shut. Besides, he had a feeling he'd pushed the Slayer as far as she could be pushed for one night.

They handcuffed the policeman to a gutter pipe in the alley. With any luck it would be a while before anyone found him. As they started back towards the street, Spike caught a glimpse of the cop car, and suddenly had an idea. He went back to relieve the cop of his keys.

"Get in," he told the Slayer as he unlocked the car.

"What?" But he was already inside with the door shut, so she was forced to get in to continue the conversation with him. "Spike. You can't steal a police car!"

"Not stealing it. Borrowing."

"I'm not falling for that. I know they're the same thing," she insisted.

By this time he was already driving down the street, looking for a grocery store.

"No. Cause once we do some shopping, we're going to put it back. A police car just sitting there attracts too much attention. We want the guy to sweat a bit, right?"

"You promise we'll return it."

"Promise. Now let's get you that cake, and some movies to watch. Okay?"

She looked uncertain but she sat back and buckled her seat belt all the same.