Chapter Nine





Buffy walked purposely toward Spike's crypt. She had searched all night for him and came up empty in every place she looked. He must have been more upset than she initially thought. She knew he wasn't ready for her friends to know about them anymore than she was but to hear her say the things about him that she did must have hurt. It had hurt her to say them.



She knew he would be home. Where else would a vampire go during the day? Opening his crypt door, she walked inside and started for the trap door.



Xander gritted his teeth when he saw Buffy enter Spike's crypt. He had been on his way to give Spike a little unsolicited advice concerning Buffy when he saw his friend practically running for the crypt. He forced back the urge to call out to her, to ask her what she was doing and followed her instead. When he stood before the crypt's door, he listened to her footsteps before entering quietly.



Buffy saw him lying in bed and she smiled. He was on his stomach facing away from her. She took a few steps before stopping when he shifted slightly. Lean, strong muscles that lay hidden from view were exposed to her when the sheet covering him slid down and rested low on his hips. She sighed at the sight of him.



"Enjoying the view?" Spike's muffled voice broke the silence.



Buffy jumped at the sound of his voice and her smile widened when he rolled over and faced her. "Actually I was," she grinned. "You naked under there?"



Spike couldn't hold back his smile as he looked at her. He knew the minute he saw her his anger at her would be gone. He could never stay mad at her. Sitting up slightly, he propped himself up on his elbows before tilting his head to look at her. "What do you want slayer? Trying to get my beauty rest here."



Buffy stared at him and when he moved his leg and the sheet slid down even further, she felt her face heat up as she blushed. She looked away briefly and could hear his chuckle before she looked back up. "I came to apologize," she told him as she tried to keep eye contact with him. "I came by last night but you weren't here."



Spike held back his smile as he looked at a very red-faced Buffy. He propped his leg up and a smirk crossed his face when she averted her eyes from him. Who knew getting to her would have been so easy? "And just how do you plan on doing that?"



Buffy looked back up and could see the grin on his face and knew what he wanted by the sound of his voice. Was she even ready for that? Taking a few steps toward him, she let out a small sigh as she looked at him. He really was beautiful.



Xander peeked around the corner when Buffy and Spike stopped talking and his eyes widened when he saw Spike. He was barely covered and Buffy was just standing there staring at him. He gritted his teeth together when he saw her take a few steps closer to the bed and just the way Spike was looking at her made his blood boil.



Buffy smiled as she stared at Spike. The longer she looked at him, the more she wanted him. Just the way he was looking at her made her heart pound in her chest. She watched his smile grow slightly before his tongue brushed over his bottom lip and the distraction was all Spike needed. Buffy yelped when his arm reached out and caught her around the waist and pulled her into the bed with him.



She couldn't help but giggle as she landed flat on her back with a very naked vampire pressing her into the mattress. She stared up at him before raising her hand and running it through the unruly curls that looked as soft as they felt. She sighed as her eyes met his and she leaned up and placed a soft kiss on his lips. "I didn't mean what I said last night," she told him with a tiny smile. "They kind of ambushed me and I just blurted out the first thing that came to mind."



"I know," Spike told her before he returned her smile. "Just haven't heard that much contempt from you in so long; it just kinda hurt a little."



"I know and I'm sorry," Buffy smiled. "So you forgive me then?"



"Maybe," Spike said, smiling before he lowered his head to her neck. Buffy's eyes closed when she felt his lips graze her neck and a small bite with blunt teeth caused a small gasp to escape her throat. He wasn't even touching her and her whole body felt like it was on fire. Bringing her hand up Buffy grabbed the back of his head before crushing her lips to his.



Xander watched them from the darkened corner he was hiding in and his breathing was getting heavier every second. He couldn't believe Buffy would let that "thing" touch her. Something was definitely wrong with her. Either she came back wrong from the spell or Spike had done something to her. No way would she be interested in Spike. He was evil. A foul, disgusting creature that didn't deserve anything other than to be put down.



When he heard Buffy moan and saw her guide Spike's hand under her shirt, he turned and made his way quietly up the steps and out of the crypt. He'd show her. He'd make her see. One way or another, he'd show them all what he's always known. Spike was nothing but a monster and he'd prove it.





~*~*~*~*~




"What are you doing?" Anya asked as she stared up into the loft at Xander.



"Hunting a spell," he said, tossing the book he had been looking at into the discarded pile before grabbing another one off the shelf.



"A spell? What kind of spell?"



"Something to show her what she's doing," Xander said quietly as he thumbed through the pages.



"Xander," Anya sighed. She didn't even have to ask. She knew exactly why he was looking. "Would you please come down from there and stop this craziness?"



"It's not crazy," Xander practically yelled as he glared down at her. "I saw them not two hours ago getting cozy in Spike's crypt."



"And how exactly did you manage this?"



"I went to talk to Spike and saw Buffy headed there," he said as he went back to his book. "I followed her in."



"So, you're spying on her now?"



"Not exactly."



Anya watched him for a few minutes before she sighed heavily and headed up the stairs. She had no idea what he was thinking, but she knew enough about spells to know that one wrong turn could turn the simplest things into major catastrophes. The "little Buffy" episode was proof of that. Sitting down next to him she looked at what he was reading before grabbing it and sitting it on her lap. "Okay, tell me exactly what you want."



Xander smiled at her before kissing her knowing she was going to help. "I want Spike to completely forget about Buffy. Forget he thinks he's in love with her and forget all about, well, all of us would be good," he grinned.



Anya shook her head before closing the book she took from him. "Can't do that Xander," she told him.



"And why not?"



"Well, for one, spells on vampires work differently than on humans so you have to be careful what you do. They're tricky. Secondly, a forgetting spell? You have no idea what damage that could do."



"Damage? Like I care what happens to Spike."



"I don't mean damage to Spike. I'm talking about, well.everything. If he forgets Buffy, then he won't help her when she needs him. Not to mention him trying to kill all of us again."



"He can't. Chip remember?"



"That chip doesn't stop him completely Xander," Anya told him as she rolled her eyes. "He could set this shop on fire or Buffy's house for that matter or hire some thug to do it for him. Do you want that?"



Xander stared at her for a long minute before shaking his head. "I never really thought about that," he said sullenly.



"Didn't think so," she smiled before laying the book aside and rummaging through the pile he had made. She already knew what she was looking for and smiled when she found the book. "We could just erase the little Buffy stuff - or try to."



"Oh, perfect!" Xander grinned. "Then he wouldn't even remember her being nice to him. He'd still help out when she asked him to and he could go back to stalking in dark corners."



"Yeah, but if Buffy has feelings for him like you claim, it might not work," Anya said more to herself than to Xander. "I mean, Spike's already in love with her. If she likes him then it won't take long for Spike to pick up on that and we'd be right back where we are now."



Xander stared at Anya as she frowned and tossed the book aside, knowing that idea was also a bust. He sighed before his shoulders slumped. He was sure a spell would work but now it seemed hopeless. If they couldn't find one to get rid of the Spike problem then what was the use? Confronting Buffy hadn't helped. She only lied to them all about her involvement with Spike. That was something Xander still couldn't comprehend. His friend was changing right before his eyes.



"I got it!" Anya yelled causing Xander to jump as she startled him. "I know the perfect spell."



"Well, come on woman. Don't hold out," Xander grinned. "What is it?"